Prisoner (Kria, #1)

Prisoner (Kria #1)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,162 ratings  ·  105 reviews
A man whom all men fear...

General Dieter von Adolwulf has led the Scarlet Army of Kria to victory for the past decade, holding the infamous field known as the Regenbogen against Kria's hated enemies—the deceptive Illussor and the ruthless Salharans. War has waged between the three nations for longer than anyone can remember, but no one has held the Regenbogen as well as th...more
ebook, Second Edition, 280 pages
Published May 10th 2011 by Less Than Three Press (first published 2007)

Sala Bim
Love it, love it, love it! When I finished this book, my first thought was "Now was that so hard?!". To say the least, I have just been very disappointed with the gay literary offerings nowadays and I feel like I have wasted a lot of money just to support this habit. But this one I loved! This book was exactly what I needed after all the literary garbage I feel I've waded through lately. I loved that there was no sex, no emphasis on or obsession with sex, and no one was saying f**k or c**k ever...more
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Awesome! I really lost myself - in the best possible way - in this book. The world building was fascinating and interesting. There are three nations at war. Krians are warriors and rely on their swordsmanship to keep their enemies at bay. Salharans use drug-induced magic to attack and defend themselves and the drug they use (arcen) is addictive. Illussors are a people who owns a sort of natural magic, but their magic is causing problem to their population.

In this rich world, Dieter von Adolwulf...more
LdDurham
Oh, dear. This book was a mess.

I've read other works by Derr before, and enjoyed them. So I'm not sure what to make of this one. First, the beginning twenty-five percent of the book is just scenes mashed together. The characters are introduced haphazardly with no real interest in getting my emotions or sympathies involved with them. Nothing is really explained, and the setting is completely left out. In one scene two characters are riding a horse, in the next they are suddenly in an inn, but I...more
Ilhem
3,5 stars

Kria, Salhara and Illussor are caught in an endless war where swords fight against drug induced magic while spies and politics are scheming in the background.
One winter, Dieter, Beraht, Iah and Sol are brought together by fate in an unlikely but efficient and often amusing alliance which sides with Prince Matthias, Esta and Kalan “triumvirate”.

After an awkward beginning (8% is not much but still, enough to leave a strong impression), this book ended up being a very pleasant surprise w...more
Mandi
This was my reread of the new edition. And it's still such an amazing story that sucked me in like I haven't already read it a bunch of times. Kick ass world building and characters that just draw you in and keep you turning the pages.

I definitely enjoyed the added scene between Dieter and Beraht at the end. *grins*

I think if the author put together a book of just short stories of them two I might actually die of a fangasm. ;)

Really though, I can't recommend this highly enough.

(ETA - Currently...more
Nova
Dec 04, 2013 Nova rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nova by: Icedave
What a book!
I’m going to miss Sol, Iah, Beraht and Dieter. Especially Dieter! Most of the time he’s a bastard but he’s also impressive, proud, intelligent and strong. Dieter and Beraht “bickering” were some of the best scenes in the book. ;) And the rest? Intriguing and gripping. Loved it!
Valentina Heart
I loved the world. It was a bit annoying at first that the story transfered from one part of the country to the other, but once I got to know the characters it was actually interesting to see what the guys on the other side were doing.
Since it's written the way it is, I'm glad that there aren't any cliffhangers after every chapter. The story flows nicely and the characters are lovable enough to carry it.
Dieter is my favorite, his dangerous aura and appearance, as well as his rough treatment of...more
Nina
The world building is mind blowing, the characters layered and complex, and yet there aren’t many words wasted on characterization: we gather information mostly from what happens or from past stories.
The synopsis says the main characters are Dieter von Adolwulf (the Wolf) and Beraht, but this book is about them just as much as it is about Sol and Iah, about Esta and about the Brothers (so creepy).
It is really not descriptive in smut, but I didn't find it a flaw, although I usually like my romanc...more
Nika (Off to Neverland)
My rating: 4.5 stars

Absolutely brilliant book! The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I wished that there was more romance between the MC's. Otherwise, it was amazing!
Bookwatcher
Aug 17, 2011 Bookwatcher rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy readers
"“Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind”
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Three different societies, fighting in an endless war

Krians force are their swords

Salharans are feared by their drug induced magic powers
[image error]

Illusors are recluse, avoiding both Krians and Salharans and the legend says they are powerful. They can use magic, and no one know how.

Forth General Sol de Vry (from Salhara), Captain Iah Cehaka (from Illusor), General Von Adolwulf aka The Scarlet Wolf ak...more
Sheziss
Where do I start?

description

There are three parallel stories in this book, with a different love story in each one, and a prisoner of some sort. There are three nations at war:

Krians who trust on weapons.

description

Salharans who trust on pollution potions.

description

Illusors who trust on natural magic.

description

Dieter is a Krian general who captures a Salharan "responsible" for the death of his entire troop, and makes him a prisoner. The prisoner is at the edge of dying and at that moment Dieter names him Beraht. Beraht is determined to...more
T.A. Webb
Three countries at war. No one can really remember what started it, but generation after generation, Krian, Illussor and Salharan men and women are sent to the battlefield to die for a disputed piece of land held by Kria.

When General Dieter von Adolwulf, leader of the Scarlett Army of Kria, prepares his troops to leave the battlefield after a long summer campaign, escaping before winter, he never expects to have scores of his men killed in a cowardly ambush. He has the assassin brought to him, a...more
Melinda
Contrarius
2 1/2 stars. I'm feeling generous today, so I'm rounding up to 3.

This book is very popular amongst fans of gay romance/fantasy. For those of you who don't fit that description, don't worry -- there is absolutely NO sex in this book, of any description apart from a few sanitary kisses, and little romance over all. I think this book is popular, however, mostly because romance fans don't really have a firm grasp on what good fantasy is like.

This isn't really a baaaaad book. It's got three interest...more
Crys Harris
This was a solid book with an good characterization and an intriguing plot that was occasionally slow. The plot slowed down then the interesting characters were not interacting. My biggest complaint about this story is that many of the interactions and dialogue is repetitious. Particularly the internal musings of the main characters. I think the physical violence between the main characters would have been somewhat more palatable, or at least believable in a relationship, if the author had intro...more
Deja Dei
I was so looking forward to this, and I was so disappointed. The characterization is nonexistent. The story is wonky with awkward transitions that left me utterly confused. The editing is abysmal. I can forgive a few typos in a longish book, but damn.

As another reviewer said, the world building is okay for romance, but not great for readers of fantasy. People who read fantasy are accustomed to much better. This is just my opinion, and I know alot of people like this book. I just expected so much...more
Susan
This book is very useful for reminding writers why tact, careful consideration and a bucket-load of thorough editing are necessary. The mistakes here are numerous and inexcusable.

The setting is based in three countries; Kria, Illusor and Salhara. Mostly what we see is the first two, through traced out journeys across the lands. That said, they are much the same, being snowy and harsh, with the exception that Illusor has a lot less presence.
The customs of these countries were half-pleasant. Salha...more
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
Urgh. I have got to stop reading Ms Derr's books or my average rating will shoot up into impossibly high numbers because of all the 5-stars I give away. . . I probably need not say that I am officially obsessed with Megan Derr and Gaymance (as I call it, as opposed to the more "legitimate" M M Romance tag) and that if I find anyone to loves books (especially paranormal romance) as I do, I will try to introduce them to the Gaymance genre. In particular, Megan Derr.

Her books are always a damn plea...more
Shay
I picked up this book mainly because of all the good reviews of this book. Did it match up to my expectations? No, not really. Was it a good read? Sure.

The world-building was decent. There are 3 opposing countries: Illusor, Kria, and Salhara. All three have different cultures, which I enjoyed noting the differences in fighting, magic usage, language, and food. I got the gist of all of the characters and how they interacted. I grew fond of some of the people, even. Two of the main characters, Die...more
Eisheth
The Good: Intricate, exciting, plausible world-building. The interweaving of 3 fascinating societies. Excellent stage-dressing.

The Bad: Flat, one-dimensional characters who stubbornly refuse to grow and learn. Blink-and-you-miss-it "romance" between two main characters who need to be permanently separated for their own good. An overabundance of gay characters in unlikely circumstances. Neads moar pruf-reeding.

That third (and possibly second) star is purely for the excellent world-building, as th...more
Wart Hill
I'm not really sure where to start for this review. I finished the book this morning and I've been mulling over what all I want to talk about, what I want to say. There's so much to say, though, and I don't know if I'm the best person to say it.

I doubt that made any sense, but here goes.

I loved this book.

The world is rich and beautifully crafted. Three very different societies come to life on the page, each of them developed and thought out and intriguing.

The characters. Oh the characters. I lov...more
Abra
The quality of the writing, dialogue, and character development was really only a 3. I gave this one an extra star because I thought the concept and world building was fantastic. I'm sure the idea of chemically produced artificial magic has been done before somewhere but I have never come across it and found the whole thing fascinating. The political tension was good too.

As far as characters, they all started out brilliant, though I do feel Derr dropped the ball on Iah and Beraht. They were jus...more
Blackheart
It is an amazing, fantastic, captivating story. The world of three kingdoms is truly fascinating, their traditions and customs are not only interesting but also believable. Great job. This book was hard to put down. The closer to the end I got, the more pauses I made, just to prolong the pleasure. Definitely a re-read material. I do really hope there are warriors somewhere, far-far-away, who name their swords after their loved ones.
Dreamer
Excellent m/m fantasy adventure with engaging characters. Sorry guys, no sex, just kissing in this one..
"Names are power. Power of life. Power of death. Do not give a name lightly. Do not take a name lightly. Do not share a name lightly. Do not speak a name lightly," Sol recited. "To give a name is to give a life. To strike a name is to kill a man. Whosoever names you has power over you."
Lala

I feel quite torn about how I should rate this book. There were parts that were awesome..and parts that didn't make sense at all..

So, as with any fantasy book, the book was slow at the beginning - all the world-building being explained to the reader. The writing was solid, the world intriguing. Three countries fighting each other (Salharan, where people get magic using drugs; Illusor, where people have natural magic; militarist Kria, despising all kinds of magic), and the heroes origin...more
Gabriela
The plot was very well developed, starting slowly to introduce the characters, costumes and worlds. It was a very interesting fantasy/adventure book, but I must warn you, it has NO romance at all.
The author didnt know how to carry the romance, and instead made it look forced, I would even say that "Game of thrones" has more romance than this.

Possible spoilers

Take the main couple: The wolf and the breaker:
There were no looks, no touches, no flirtation, there was only hateful words, racism, and bi...more
Danielle
"Why did you bother saving me?"
"Because you are mine."

I was under the impression by the blub that this was going to be full on epic fantasy. Unfortunately it very loosely fits into that genre. I need more fighting and I don't know, it was just lacking in the epic part I guess.

There is a lot of characters introduced in this one. In the first part of the book there's 7 different POVs going on. Each chapter was someone different. In the second part the characters are all in one castle so the c...more
Matthew
I really had a lot of fun with this book. The world-building and plot kept the story moving at a good pace and the lovers' relationships (there were two or three couples) were great. I thought I would dislike the lack of sex, but I enjoyed this as it was. It probably still would have worked decently even without the relationships, although they are what made the story amazing as opposed to good.

If I had to criticize, I would say the enmity between major characters seems to be the only thing that...more
Q&A with Mega...: ⚔ ⚔ Kria series ⚔ ⚔ 4 11 Jul 30, 2013 10:25AM
  • Guardian (Aisling, #1)
  • The Devil's Fire (The Kingdom of Orielle, #1)
  • Kei's Gift (Darshian Tales, #1)
  • The Land of Night (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #3)
  • Lord of the White Hell (Lord of the White Hell, #1)
  • Twice-Caught (Tarin's World, #2)
  • Counterpoint (Song of the Fallen, #1)
  • Strange Fortune
  • Battle of Will
  • Dragon Slayer
  • Dynasty of Ghosts
  • Cethe
  • The Invisible Chains - Part 1: Bonds of Hate (Dark Tales of Randamor the Recluse, #1)
  • Snowflakes and Embers
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.

maderr.com
maderr.tumblr.com
maderr.livejournal.com
less...more
More about Megan Derr...
The Missing Butterfly (Missing Butterfly, #1) The High King's Golden Tongue (Love is Always Write) Dance in the Dark (Dance with the Devil, #2) Dance with the Devil (Dance with the Devil, #1) An Admirer (Jewel Bonds, #1)

“A man with a sword has a means to stay alive. A man with a named sword has a reason to stay alive. -Krian saying” 24 likes
“Women always know everything; they like to hoard the information until it can be used to maximum effect.” 2 likes