Start by marking “Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #9)” as Want to Read:
Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #9)

Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood #9)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  63,727 ratings  ·  3,443 reviews
Few authors give readers such a “powerful rush”* as #1 New York Times bestselling author J.R. Ward does in her phenomenal books of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. Now she returns to that fiercely intoxicating world in a new novel of a woman’s journey from terrifying enslavement to an erotic rapture that proves equally dangerous…

Payne, twin sister of Vishous, is cut from the
Published March 29th 2011 by Hachette Digital (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Lover Unleashed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lover Unleashed

Driven by K. BrombergBeautiful Bastard by Christina LaurenFueled by K. BrombergCrashed by K. BrombergBared to You by Sylvia Day
Hottest Dirty Talk!
211th out of 819 books — 1,957 voters
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareAnd Then Run by Eric HublotThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Last Song by Nicholas SparksBeastly by Alex Flinn
Fictional guys to swoon over in books
42nd out of 46 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick

This book is just all kinds of amazing!

**Fear thee not, spoilers are hidden**

There are so many things to love about Lover Unleashed, the 9th installment of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. I’ve come to expect truly great stories with complex characters and lots of emotion, and this book didn’t disappoint. In fact, it ranks right up there with my favorite book in the series, Lover Awakened.

What makes this so amazing, you ask? Well, important things were resolved, new things were revealed and
Blacky *Romance Addict*

Image Hosted by

"You're the one who's Payne's."
No hesitation on that. No hesitation on his reply either: "Yeah. I am."

This was such a romantic book, I must say I loved Manny and Payne's story <3
What made it even better was a side-story concerning Vishous! Fantastic :))
The new bad guys are irritating as hell and I had the same urge to skip them as I do the lessers :(
But overall, I loved this one <3

The story

This one picks up right after Lover Mine.
Payne is at the Brotherhood compound, injured and frus
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Reading about the Black Dagger Brotherhood is like catching up with old friends. I can’t express how much I love this entire series! It’s #1 in my eyes and will forever stay that way!

Lover Unleashed is Payne and Manny’s book and although I would have liked to see more romance between the two, I found that I really enjoyed both of them! Manny wasn’t exactly my favourite character in Lover Unbound only because he was competition for V, but I found myself falling for the hot doctor. He had big sh
Apr 20, 2011 Shawna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of BDB series, PNR, & UF
Shelves: favorite-romance-series, author-jr-ward-jessica-bird, pnr-vampires, series-black-dagger-brotherhood, hh-warrior, doctor-or-nurse-in-the-house-shrink, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, animals-matter, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, hero-or-heroine-italian, hero-alpha‎, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-walking-hardon, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, married-couples-married-convenience, psychic-special-abilities-powers, sizable-packages, tattoos-piercings-body-art, star-crossed-lovers, bdsm-kink, badasses-hunks-in-leather, hh-limp-paraplegic-wheelchair, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, 2011-reads, assassin-hitman, best-fave-reads-of-2011, best-top-favorites, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, favorites, hero-bad-boy-playboy-player, hero-brooding, hero-expert-skilled-voracious-lover, hero-i-wanna-marry, hero-im-gaga-over, hero-or-heroine-illegitimate, heroine-beautiful-bombshell, heroine-i-adore, heroine-tomboy-lady-in-pants, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, i-read-library, made-me-cry, steam-3-hot, satisfying-secondary-romance, 5-stars-plus, menage-multiple-partners-polyamory, hero-attractive-handsome-heartthrob, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, hero-dom, heroine-badgirl-improper-scandalous, steam-4-smokin, hero-too-yummy-perfect-to-be-true, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, controversial-memorable-event-scene, ending-abrupt-poor-epilogue-needed, best-secondary-characters-ensemble, best-friendships, hero-hot-car-sexy-costly-ride, hero-sharp-dressed-man
WOW! Lover Unleashed is a fantastic installment to the Black Dagger Brotherhood, and I especially loved the romance this time!

Here’s a checklist rundown of some of my favorite highpoints:

*More romance between main H/H? – Check!
Manny and Payne were amazing characters, and I absolutely loved, loved, luvvved them together! They were such a sweet, sexy couple with a strong emotional connection and explosive chemistry. In fact, their sensual, evocative romance was possibly my favorite since Lover
Opening Line: "Xcor saw his father killed when he was but five years past his transition."
**Spoiler Free**
Ah yes, how sweet it is to be back with the Black Dagger Brotherhood. It was with some anticipation (understatement) that I cracked open the 489 pages I’d waited almost a year on, and it was with baited breathe that I began. Wondering exactly what direction JR Ward was going to take this 9th instalment in? Well I can tell you that with this one she does not disappoint, giving us fans exactly
Mandi Schreiner
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Lisa Jayne

What a opening even the prologue sets the scene for an intriguing and exciting story. The series has been gold standard, every story, every character, every piece and part of the journey is astounding. Another five star instalment to add to the growing pile. I'm not sure how she does it but this talented author has delivered once again and now I'm at book nine of the series, I'm flabbergasted that I'm still entertained at five star standard.

So, what's it all about?
'Lover Unl
Apr 03, 2011 Auntee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the series
Loved it. Luuvvvved it. Not a whole heck of a lot going on in this one (in terms of action/fighting the Lessers), but I loved it anyway. I just loved the romance in this one...

Lover Unleashed is mainly the vampire Payne (twin sister of Vishous) and (the human) Dr. Manuel Manello's story, and their relationship is hot with a capital H! Oh my, the 45-year-old Manny is in a constant state of arousal in this one whenever he's near Payne.:) He meets her when he's brought in by Doc Jane to operate on

*Hardly any spoilers, but damn most of you read it anyways*

Another BDB book has come and gone, and what a book it was. I will say honestly, I was not in love with this book. Totally boning for the characters, but not all weak in the knees for the story. I always love to be reacquainted with the men of the brotherhood, but it seems there is an added brother I did not know about (will discuss later). I will have to break this one down cus there is just so much to fre
Tutti Dolci
Oh, my.

What to say? all honesty? It tanked for me.

I found the storyline weak and Payne, who should've been a kick-ass heroine (ala Xhex, perhaps, but sexier?) was everything BUT. I also found Manny's and (LORD-PLEASE-FORGIVE-ME-FOR-TYPING-THIS) Vishous' story lines to be too neatly wrapped up and tied off with a pretty bow. Furthermore, Qhuinn's premonition? Uh, perhaps I don't recall, but I thought that the only one who could see into the future was V. That felt kind of like it came o
Always a pleasure to see strong females in the BDB series...
"Love can conquer everything but reality. Which will win every stinking time."
Let me start with the following warning: It is impossible to review any book in the Black Dagger Brotherhood Series without mentioning spoilers for all the books which came before it. With that in mind, you might not want to read this review if you haven't read the first eight books in the series...

The BDB Series focuses on a new couple with each book, ye
Amy (Foxy)
Ms. Ward sure knows how to write forbidden romance and the proof is in this series. For those who haven't read any books from this series keep in mind these vampires always have insta love. Insta-love is something I hate but for some reason it doesn't bother me in this series. Go figure.

How do you eat an elephant? One bit at a time. This series is a beast. I started at the end of April working my way through it. Spending each weekend reading one book from this series with my book twin, Bev. We'v
5 Stars!!!!! (Duh! like I could give it any less!)

photo d04fda40-9340-4c85-9054-a1c79daec1f4_zps61385c09.jpg

I will join the club and say that I am completely OBSESSED with these books and all things BDB! If you haven’t read this series, seriously, get to it!

On to the review!!!

This is Manny and Payne’s story. We met Manny several books ago. He is the chief of surgery and friends with Jane. Then there is Payne. Payne is Vishous’ long lost twin sister he never knew about. An unlikely pair, but they work nonetheless.

photo 6cba1c1c-68d5-4e2e-8d0e-e2feea23366d_zpse4b93138.jpg

When we last saw Payne in book #8, s
Sophia (FV)
Originally posted at Fiction Vixen.

Each time a new release for the Black Dagger Brotherhood series is on the horizon I find myself becoming more and more excited as each day passes to the countdown to the big day. Time and time again J.R. Ward has wow’d me with this series of books with only the occasional disappointment. While I’m not completely disappointed in Lover Unleashed it was not all that I’d hoped it would be.

The romance between Payne and Manny–while semi-sweet– basically fell flat. Th
Aug 01, 2014 Beverly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beverly by: Amy (Foxy)
Shelves: buddy-read, series
* * * * * 5 Thank Goodness Stars * * * * *

I have been struggling through these last few books, but I have been continuing since my Twinie Amy has been dragging me along. I am so thankful she has been, because I absolutely loved this one!

All of the BDB books have side stories and this is something that has driven me a little crazy in the past, but I loved the side stories in this one. I felt these side stories were relevant and because they focused on the Brothers I actually cared what was happen
Pamela / SpazP
Originally posted at WickedLilPixie Reviews

Shall we discuss? First, if you haven’t read the book: STEP AWAY FROM THE BLOG NOW. Go, RUN ALONG. I don’t want to spoil it for anyone, so CLOSE THIS NOW!

My Rating:

Okay. Complaints first.

I swear to god if I read the word Verily ONE MORE TIME, I was gonna shank a bitch. Geezus, you can say fuck but somehow you still manage to throw in verily? DURING SEX AHHHH.

Spaz: I would like to see Wrath pass a new law, effective immediately: T
Jul 13, 2013 Anna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal romance lovers
4 stars !! Ouch it really "Paynes" me to only give this 4 stars ...

The female is mine, he thought.
And even though that made no sense at all, the conviction was so strong, he couldn't question it.
" Are you the healer?" She said in a low voice that stopped his heart. " Are you .... Here for me?"
" Yeah I am. I'm here for you."

Reintroducing Dr. Manny Manello

“You are perfect for a female."
"Not where I come from."
"Then they're using the wrong standard.”

“Why ever are you here?“ she whispered,
Jen (Red Hot Books)
I feel like I've been waiting ages for this latest installment and now that I'm finished reading it, I feel... dissatisfied. It wasn't bad. It felt like it was a transition book. Like JR Ward ran out of stories linked to our core cast of characters and is setting up the characters for the next cluster of books.

Obviously, we've run out of Brothers, so we need new warriors. Enter Xcor and his five "bastards." They're hardcore killers, who fight dirty. They kill Lessers and live in the old-ways. H
The ninth book in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, titled Lover Unleashed, is about Payne, blooded daughter of the Bloodletter, and Manuel Manello, MD.

Payne has just been revealed to everyone as V’s sister and you might remember Manello as Jane’s boss at the human hospital, who V thought the word ‘Brother’ about. (Bear in mind that it was a single-word sentence, so it could be either Brother as in a warrior in the Brotherhood or brother as in family, so yes, it does make a difference.) man i
May 21, 2011 Lora rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the BDB series; Vishous lovers
This one is very hard for me to rate and review. I absolutely love this series to pieces; however, for me, Lover Unleashed was tantamount to Lover Enshrined: way too many side stories, therefore way too many interruptions in the main storyline.
Basically, in my opinion, Lover Unleashed is a complete 180 from the previous installment, Lover Mine. Before Lover Mine, there was a lot of build up in past installments as well as character development for John and Xhex's story. But with Lover Unleashed,
*** Spoilers ***

When I originally heard on JR Ward’s message board and last year’s signing for Crave, that she intended to redeem V and Jane’s relationship through telling Payne and Manny’s story in Lover Unleashed, I became more anxious than typical for its release. If I recall correctly, I understood from comments written and/or stated by JR that she wanted to correct how she left Lover Unbound where V felt more for Butch than Jane, hence why people didn’t have closure on the V/Butch scenario.
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
Where to start, where to start! I normally do a synopsis here, but if you have got this far into the series then I seriously doubt you need one! Buuuuuuuuut I can't help myself so here is a little one: Payne gets hurt, Jane gets Manny to help, Manny falls for Payne, Payne falls for Manny, mean while Jane and V have a lovers tiff, renegade vampires show up. Hmmm a bit too simplistic but you probably know what has happened anyways.

As always I LOVED this book, and it only took me to the end of the
Heather C
Whose story was this?!

What I Liked:

Manny and Payne. They were such a sweet couple; it's a shame they were cheated out of their own novel. I really loved Payne! I loved the way she spoke and how territorial she was of Manny. A few people told me how disappointed they were that she was such a weak female. But I didn't see it like that at all. She was pretty kick-ass every time she really needed to be. I always liked Manny and he didn't disappoint me either.

Qhuinn. I was actually hating him in th
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Yes, only 3 stars even though I loved the book. Why? Because it is really only a filler book. The book is designed to introduce new characters, set up potential future relationships, and to introduce the action that will come in later books.

The book is very mellow action-wise. It is wonderful character-wise. I really fell in love (again) with Butch. I thought Payne was wonderful. I won't even begin on my lustfest for Qhuinn and Blay. V and Jane played major roles in this book and it was well, e
Jason Bradley
I miss the bad ass brothers, you know? Not Z walking around with a baby on his hip or V and Jane having marriage problems. meh...
5 Fantastic Stars

Lover Unleashed unleashed a boat load of feels for me! It was such a spectacular read. I have enjoyed every single BDB book and yet this one was even more special to me. I lavished in the love story between Manny and Payne. I loved every minute of V and Jane working through the struggles of married life. Finally, V getting the opportunity to get to know his sister and make every effort to mend the loss of time between them really touched my heart!

Have I said enough about my lov
  • Shades of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #7)
  • Sin Undone (Demonica, #5)
  • Demon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark, #10)
  • Kiss of Snow (Psy-Changeling, #10)
  • Devil May Cry (Dark-Hunter, #11)
  • Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4)
  • The Darkest Lie (Lords of the Underworld, #6)
J.R. Ward is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of numerous novels, including the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. She lives in the South her family.
More about J.R. Ward...

Black Dagger Brotherhood (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)
  • Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2)
  • Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3)
  • Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4)
  • Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5)
  • Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6)
  • Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7)
  • Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8)
  • Lover Reborn (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #10)
  • Lover at Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #11)
Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5) Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4)

“One more thing."
"I think we're dating now." As V barked out a laugh, the cop shrugged. "Come on....I got you naked. You wore a damn corset. And don't get me started about the sponge bath afterward."
"To the end.”
“Butch tightened his grip on his cell and wished there were an app that let you reach through a phone and bitch slap someone.” 312 likes