Start by marking “The Wheel of Time: Boxed Set (Wheel of Time, #1-8)” as Want to Read:
The Wheel of Time: Boxed Set  (Wheel of Time, #1-8)

The Wheel of Time: Boxed Set (The Wheel of Time #1-8)

4.37  ·  Rating Details ·  9,116 Ratings  ·  127 Reviews
Robert Jordan's bestselling Wheel of Time epic is one of the most popular fantasy series of all time for a reason. Jordan's world is rich and complex, and he's assembled an endearing, involving core of characters while mapping out an ambitious and engaging story arc.

The Age of Prophecy is a time of magic and peril, when everything hangs in the balance and one man, Rand Al

Published (first published November 15th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Wheel of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wheel of Time

Dec 02, 2008 Laura rated it it was ok
This is another series that I had a hard time getting into. Once I made it through the first couple hundred pages, though, I was hooked. Seriously hooked. I couldn't put the books down. The series has really colorful characters that are easy to get attached to, it's filled with foreshadowing, and the world that it's based in is really original and beautiful. So it really came as a shock when I was halfway through book four and I realized that I was reading nothing but descriptions of tapestries ...more
Martine
Jun 22, 2012 Martine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Love it. I started reading the series in 1994, when I was still in high school and fell in love with it at once. By the time I started reading, the first 6 books were already released, so to begin with it was just a matter of going to the library to get the next one. After that the waiting began. Not only for each new release, but also in the story itself, the pace became slower, and there were more parts that felt like "you had to get through it to get to the good stuff".

Me and my sister, who a
Jesse
Jan 03, 2008 Jesse rated it liked it
Read the first three and stop. Its a great standalone trilogy and I think was intended to stop there until the money making possibilities were realized.

I wish the story could have continued, I was very excited to read about Mat and the daughter of the nine moons however id rather have not spent three books for the bowl of winds that never got to do much.

Oh well. Just read the first three and be happy rather than bitter and indignant like the rest of us who got dragged on for decades of our life
Matt
Feb 08, 2008 Matt rated it really liked it
The Eye of the World is the first book in the long line that is The Wheel of Time series. Some are better than others but I liked them all. They are long and very complicated with an ever expanding story line. Some people don't like that but I do so these are great books for me.
Very simply put the story follows a small group of people from humble origins that help change their world. Each in their own way and sometimes not for the better. This is fantasy so the story evolves around each person
Natalie
Jan 16, 2009 Natalie rated it it was amazing
AM so sad he died before finishing the last book.

Liked the first couple the best. The middle ones were ok and the last few were good again.
Jerrid Wolflick
Mar 07, 2013 Jerrid Wolflick rated it liked it
This series was all over the map. The first three books were absolutely magnificent. Unfortunately Jordan became enamored of his own voice and led readers through thousands of completely unrelated pages of story. There were too many main characters and too many things going on for this to be a good book series (and I just finished the entire series last week). Jordan also fell into the trap of description (again liking the sound of his voice a little too much). What did the people across the des ...more
Khan Naunko
Apr 12, 2012 Khan Naunko rated it it was amazing
The Wheel of Time is one of my favorite Fantasy series!! The character development is great, with each new book we learn more about the characters, about who they are and what they think. The Story line is brilliant, however it is perhaps not the easiest to get into!!

I had the good fortune, or bad depending on how you look at it, to only come across these books when there was already 8 of them released. It is the first time i have read Eight books of the same series consecutively and without a b
Ahughes
Aug 20, 2007 Ahughes rated it it was amazing
So far I'm very happy with this series and it's made for a fun summer read - something to sink your teeth into so to speak... Yes, Jordan gets a little repetitive sometimes and I probably wouldn't have started this if I'd realized that the series isn't completely written yet (frustrated enough as I am with ASoIaF) but otherwise there are some great characters, ideas and twists and turns (for those into fantasy of course). I hate the awful 'van art' style covers - some of the worse I've seen.

Sep
Jonathan Williamson
Feb 14, 2008 Jonathan Williamson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: geeks
Recommended to Jonathan by: Dr. Lehtola
Shelves: fantasy
Okay, so I had seen these books a billion times and I was always scared off by the cover art. Have you seen the cover art on these shits? It's so fucking heinous. It's like the worst second-rate, low-budget ass, D&D artwork you could possibly imagine. However, one day I overheard one of my professors, Dr. Lehtola, talking about World of Warcraft, and naturally I immediately joined that conversation and let her know that I, too, am a geek. She told me to read this series of books, boldly clai ...more
Appu Cholappurath
Feb 18, 2013 Appu Cholappurath rated it it was amazing
The "Wheel of time" series is by far the best books that i have read.I started reading it last year and couldn't stop till i finished it all. I was reading some other series when i first saw this.But i stopped it and started reading this.i could't get all the books here.So i got eBooks and read in my computer.
The no of characters in these books. It gets hard to keep track of them all.And the detail Robert Jordan goes to is great.
It is a really long story and i wouldn't suggest it to those who do
Dave
Mar 27, 2008 Dave rated it it was amazing
This is a series of 11 books (only 8 shown in the title above), with the 12th and final yet to be published. It is a LOT of reading but this is an amazing series if you are into epic fantasy like the Lord of the Rings. It can get long and there are some plot lines that are less interesting than others, but overall this series has kept me more interested than any other fantasy series.

Just realize that you are getting into a huge, dorky fantasy series with an unthinkable quantity of fictional, im
Kathy
Feb 11, 2008 Kathy rated it it was amazing
I started reading this series back in 1992 and it sucked me in! I fell in love with the characters and the story and would buy the books brand new in hardcover when they were released. I lost interest after about the first six books, though. It's hard to keep up with the storylines when you go a couple of years between books. I just saw a couple of the newer books at Dollar Tree, though, so I've been thinking about getting back into it!

I just read in someone else's review that Robert Jordan was
Sarazeen Saif
Dec 15, 2016 Sarazeen Saif marked it as to-read

Anthology containing:

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan A Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan The Path of Daggers by Robert Jordan Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan Crossroads of Twilight by Robert Jordan Knife of Dreams by Robert Jordan The Gathering Storm by Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson Towers of Midnight by Robert J
Josh
Jan 24, 2008 Josh rated it it was amazing
okay, so, five stars...that means i like these books better than, say, slaughterhouse five, cloud atlas, love in the time of cholera, and most books ever written right? i mean, not really. these books, and others of their ilk (harry potter, LOTR, etc) are something else for me...its almost like comparing movies to tv or tv to theatre, is the most enjoyable tv show better than a great piece of theatre? who knows. its just different. but if you like fantasy (even of the oft derided sword-and-sorce ...more
Robyn
May 06, 2014 Robyn rated it liked it
This series was ok. I was interested enough that I read the entire thing, but I don't think I would recommend it to my friends. I really enjoyed the first three books, but then it bogged down and became tedious. There would be a great action sequence and then several extremely boring chapters about dresses or other random things not essential to the plot. I was also really bothered that the main character was having a relationship with 3 different women.
Jenn
Mar 16, 2011 Jenn rated it it was amazing
The first few books of this series are at the top of my list as some of favorite books ever. Yes- the series does get LONG and somewhat bogged down later, but I love it anyway. There is light at the end of the tunnel with only one more book left to be published. It has been a wonderful- enjoyable ride.
What a tragedy that Robert Jordan isn't alive to see the grand finale....
Jemiller
Jul 30, 2009 Jemiller rated it it was amazing
Another favorite set - one that, just like Little House on the Prairie, I maintain on my personal shelves and recommend to students. This Sci-Fi set is very engaging and thoroughly satisfying... it's about time for me to read them again!
John
Jan 08, 2010 John rated it it was amazing
A fantastic series. Sometimes it gets bogged down and a little but it always comes back even better than before. I thought we were doomed after Robert Jordan died, but his wife found a wonderful replacement auther in Brandon Sanderson.
Maria
Apr 27, 2009 Maria rated it it was amazing
God, I love this series. It just sucks you right in. I have been waiting for the last book for a few years now... It might be long (11 books) but it is definitely worth it and u really won't even notice the length.
Scott Dishman
Jun 07, 2010 Scott Dishman rated it it was amazing
Robert Jordan has a way of giving great detail to his fantasy world. It's amazing!
Chupacandrea
Jun 02, 2010 Chupacandrea rated it liked it
entertaining yet annoying
Shawn
May 30, 2009 Shawn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-fiction
My favorite fiction series of all time. I have read (and re-read) every book in the series that has been published to date. A brilliant fantasy world that is wonderfully epic in scope.
Jenna
Feb 05, 2010 Jenna rated it it was amazing
Awesome! In depth characters, no gruesome goryness or sexual stuff, no swearing, and I still can't wait to see how it all turns out in the end. These I reread all the time.
hydrobromide
Mar 25, 2017 hydrobromide rated it it was ok
Starts out strong but then drags on...and on...and ON...
Patrick
Mar 17, 2017 Patrick rated it really liked it
The first books were amazing... the series gets a bit out of control and becomes tedious to read at times.
Andrew
Mar 25, 2012 Andrew rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Despite Brandon Sanderson's good work patching up the conlusion to this beast after the author died, I doubt I will ever read the newer ones or reread the early ones. Books 1-6 were really great back in '94 and still are quite decent. But book 7 started going downhill and book 8 was so poor that I tossed it after about 100 pages. He introduces quite a few too many new characters and spends a lot of time talking about the clothes they are wearing and the goblets of wine they sip. And then the boo ...more
Jay Traub
It is possible that some people might really enjoy this series, so to gauge whether it you might like it, you might want to see my ratings for other fantasy books.

The series really starts out well. Jordan created a really unique world and the characters are interesting at face. The narrative begins to die after the third book, however. The development of the characters is either poor or nonexistent and their motives seem to twist to fulfill whatever plot purpose Jordan had intended. I think wha
Lia
Nov 18, 2008 Lia rated it it was ok
Shelves: general-reader
I began reading these books as a young teen. The first two were interesting enough to keep me going. But as I kept plowing through his dense books, I found that at the end of the fourth or fifth book NOTHING had really happened in the thousand pages except to run about and keep tabs on his overly complex world. As I realized this, I found that the slowing going had come to a halt, and for me, there wasn't a reason to keep reading. So, I stopped.

Then Jordan died without finishing his final book.
Terence
Apr 19, 2008 Terence rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf-fantasy
I tried reading this series several times before finally being in the right "mood." The first three or four books are pretty good (3-stars) but then there's a long fallow period where NOTHING happens until book 10.

Jordan's quirky take on male-female relationships also becomes annoying after 1000+ pages (actually it gets annoying far sooner).

Finally, and perhaps the most telling failure of the series, is that there is nothing to fight for. Understandably, most rational people would like to avoid
Doc Opp
Sep 17, 2007 Doc Opp rated it liked it
Robert Jordan was one of those authors who got me into the genre of epic fantasy. The stories were wonderfully crafted, the characters remarkably memorable, and the ideas often innovative. I have very fond memories of long hours reading this series.

I stopped reading it at some point, when I realized that little progress was being made toward an eventual ending, but the early books in the series will always hold a special place in my heart. And with Jordan's passing the series will never come to
Do I read the rest of The Wheel of Time? 4 20 Feb 11, 2016 06:23PM
Robert Jordan's:T...: 1999 video game 10 86 Jan 27, 2014 03:12PM
Fantasy Book Club: I need help 8 134 Aug 02, 2013 10:28PM
The Black Tower: WoT Movie? 26 127 Nov 26, 2012 05:42AM
The Black Tower: Speculation 33 43 Jun 26, 2012 04:42PM
  • The Sword of Truth Boxed Set II: Temple of the Winds; Soul of the Fire; Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #4-6)
  • The Riftwar Saga (The Riftwar Saga, #1-4)
  • The Malloreon Boxed Set: Guardians of the West / King of the Murgos / Demon Lord of Karanda / Sorceress of Darshiva / The Seeress of Kell (The Malloreon, #1-5)
  • The Sword of the Shannara and The Elfstones of Shannara
  • Assassin's Apprentice / Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #1-2)
  • Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master
  • Homeland: The Graphic Novel (Legend of Drizzt: The Graphic Novel, #1)
  • The Lost Swords: The First Triad (Lost Swords, #1-3)
  • Xanth: The Quest for Magic (Xanth, #1-3)
  • The Night Angel Trilogy (Night Angel, #1-3)
  • The Wheel of Time Roleplaying Game

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to
More about Robert Jordan...

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)
  • The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10)

“The Creator made women to please the eye, and to boggle the mind.” 607 likes