Start by marking “Indigo” as Want to Read:
Indigo

Indigo

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  350 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Indigo is a color the human eye can never truly see, a slice of the spectrum imbued with the promise of invisibility. But in the dark world occupied by Jack Chambers' father, indigo will also lead to places of unknown treachery, and ultimately, to madness. As Jack tries to fulfill the terms of his father's last will and testament, he is led on a journey of the flesh and sp ...more
Published May 31st 2000 by Atria Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Indigo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indigo

Cathy
Eh. I have loved other books by Joyce, but this one had such clumsy prose that it was actively distracting. I remember him writing better than this! At times, it seems like he wrote the book to win a bet about who could use the word "lupine" most often in a single novel.

It's not a bad premise -- everyone says Indigo is in the spectrum, but is there really a separate color that's neither a shade of blue nor violet? "Indigo" claims there is, and that we've lost our ability to see it. Characters ge
Linda
Rich, eccentric Tim Chambers, resident of Chicago and Rome, has died, and his estranged son Jack has been named executor of the estate. Chambers was a master of manipulation, and has left a manuscript with instructions for its publication. Entitled Indigo, A Manual of Light, it is nothing less than a set of instructions for teaching oneself to assume the aura of invisibility. Jack has inherited nothing of his father's fortune, which goes to half-sister Louise and to a protege named Natalie, but ...more
Davy
Finally, a Graham Joyce book I didn't love without reservation. It's almost a relief. And even with this book, which I consider a mild disappointment, I was in danger of becoming obsessed. I felt like the progression towards the forbidden & inevitable & dangerous relationship between Jack and Louise was incredibly compelling, and it drove the middle third of the book for me. Unfortunately, that's not what the book was supposed to be about. For reasons that I don't believe are my fault, t ...more
Mimi Jones
The second Graham Joyce book I've read (the other was Some Kind of Fairy Tale) and I like his writing a lot. I enjoy stories that dance on a fine line between psychological delusion and genuine manifestations of the occult - that seems to be a specialty of his. Less enjoyable to me is his treatment of sex which often seems to border on the prurient.

The story involves British ex-cop, now process server, Jack, and his inheritance of a book from his hated and estranged late father. This book purpo
Jim
This book is billed on the cover as a thriller, but really it's more magical realism (won UK Fantasy Award in 2000). Graham Joyce is a great author, combining magic with the limits of magic in a modern context. In this novel, he goes behind the scenes, as it were, to expose both the brilliance and selfish manipulation of a "guru." The protagonist is charged with executing the will of his deceased father, a diabolically clever set of instructions that are intended to... (don't want to give too mu ...more
Joshua
When I read the back cover of Indigo I thought it sounded amazing. Pretty much the only aspect of the book that stood out was the fact that the main character couldn't keep his mind out of the gutter with thoughts about his half sister. It seemed like every chapter had the same epic struggle with the sexually frusterated monkeys in his head vs. his rationalily that said "IT'S YOUR SISTER FOR GOD'S SAKE!"
I got through half of the book and put it down (something I rarely do.) And I consider mysel
Michael Benton
This the third book (Requiem and The Tooth Fairy) by Graham Joyce that I have read and he always hooks me with his lush sense of atmosphere (I literally feel/tastes/smell the texture of his created worlds). This is about the way we "see" (as in perceive) the world and the dangers of allowing certain people to control our "perceptions." As always, a bit of the well-paced thriller, slipstreaming into other realms/possibilities, and a bit of the erotic/forbidden.
Miranda
I love Graham Joyce. Everything I've read by him I've enjoyed, and that goes for Indigo as well, but I don't know that I'd classify it as a "thriller." Suspenseful, perhaps, but I was a bit disappointed by the fact that I didn't find it scary at all. Especially since I used to read a lot of Stephen King and there's a quote from him calling Indigo "very scary." Nonetheless, it was a good book, but I wish it had been more thrillerish.
Panagiotis
Ούτε συναρπαστικό ήταν ούτε με κράτησε ξάγρυπνο. Αν και όλα τα συστατικά ήταν εκεί κάτι έλειπε για να τα συνδέσει. Υπήρχαν κάποια κομμάτια που καταλάβαινες ότι ο συγγραφέας είναι καλός και ικανός να δημιουργήσει ατμόσφαιρα αλλά σε γενικές γραμμές από τα πιο αδιάφορα βιβλία που έχω διαβάσει. Κρίμα γιατί άλλα του βιβλία είναι πολύ καλά αλλά εδώ δεν του πέτυχε.
Terry Mark
A book that has your mind in a drug induced state but without the drugs. It has you wondering right through to the last page and beyond. This is the 2nd of Graham Joyce's books I've read and now have the hunger to read the rest. I think I need to go to Rome now.
Karen
three strs for being a page turner; aliitle squicked out by the brother/sister attraction. Also I get bothered by characters whose personality's are so intense they become unreal. The fake Natalie and Timothy Chambers were hard characters to believe in.
Interesting concept though-making yourselk invisible through meditation and intention.

Hank
I had listened to one of his books as an audiobook in the car and enjoyed the fantasy-like tale. This one was much darker but had a similar fanciful setting that I find inciting: a bridge between literature like The Hobbit and conventional suspense or mystery, just pushing the limits of reality.
Abel Keogh
Simply put, this is one of the worst books I've ever read. The only thing it had going for it was teh writing. The characters, plot, and everthing else going for it was horrible.

I'd rather gouge my eyes out than ever read this book again.
Arax Miltiadous
Nov 12, 2012 Arax Miltiadous rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Arax by: georgia peraki
υπάρχει άραγε το 9 ο χρώμα? μεταξύ του μπλε και του ιώδους?
καλούτσικο θα έλεγα, πέρασα ευχάριστα την ώρα μου και δεν με κούρασε παρά μόνο στο τέλος. έχω σκοπό να διαβάσω άλλο ενα του ίδιου ούτως ώστε να διαμορφώσω μια πιο ξεκάθαρη άποψη.
Babs
Somehow I got an advanced proof version of this book and somehow the typographical errors added to the allure of the plot. I was drawn in and eagerly followed the rabbit down the rabbit hole...
Tracey
Not my favorite Graham Joyce book. He's a great writer - he can craft a sentence in a beautiful way. But the story line in this novel is not put together well.
Jennifer K
It was a very good book, but as I recall, a strange book. It has been long time since I read this book. I picked it up in the bargain section of Barnes and Noble.
Vrinda Pendred
Completely fascinating - so engrossing, I almost wanted to go and test out the instructions, forgetting it was all made up for the novel. The ending was beautiful.
Dennis
I love this type of story. Where it keeps you off balance throughout as to whether the "magic" is real or not. Kept me on the edge of my seat.
Jonathan
The prose was clumsy and it took me over half the book to start getting into the story. Felt more like a long slog then an enjoyable read.
Debra
Stephen King recommended book. Blurb on the book cover says "Clever, engrossing, and very scary. I was up until one in the morning."
Mark
An exceptional novel - brisk and chilly, complex and adventurous, this is gripping from start to finish. Very highly recommended.
Stacey
There is a blurb on the front of this book in which Stephen King calls this book "clever, engrossing..."
Stephen King is a liar.
Trunatrschild
How some occultists can go too far, become loony and think they are gods, and what harm they can do.
Nicole
Joyce is a good writer, but the characters were so weird that I didn't want to spend time with them.
Constance Lapsati
Περίεργο μυθιστόρημα, ίσως επειδή το θέμα του ήταν το χρώμα Indigo.
Όπως και να είναι, μου άρεσε πολύ !!!
Pam
So far I've had a hard time getting into this one...
Keri LaPensee
Interestingly strange...
  • Midnight Sun
  • Dusk (Tales of Noreela, #1)
  • Hrolf Kraki's Saga
  • The Night of the Triffids
  • The Dream Archipelago
  • Outside the Dog Museum (Answered Prayers, #4)
  • The Hollow Lands (Dancers at the End of Time, #2)
  • In War Times
  • The Ceremonies
  • One
  • Felaheen
  • Thraxas (Thraxas, #1-2)
  • Death's Master (Flat Earth, #2)
  • Ju-on Volume 1 (呪怨, #1)
  • 666
  • Terraforming Earth
  • Si Janus Sílang at ang Tiyanak ng Tábon
  • Four Hundred Billion Stars
Graham Joyce (22 October 1954 – 9 September 2014) was an English writer of speculative fiction and the recipient of numerous awards for both his novels and short stories.

After receiving a B.Ed. from Bishop Lonsdale College in 1977 and a M.A. from the University of Leicester in 1980. Joyce worked as a youth officer for the National Association of Youth Clubs until 1988. He subsequently quit his po
More about Graham Joyce...
Some Kind of Fairy Tale The Silent Land The Tooth Fairy Dark Sister The Facts of Life