Start by marking “The Interventionist” as Want to Read:
The Interventionist

The Interventionist

"Exuding the same passion and purpose as the author herself, Joani Gammill's The Interventionist is a heartfelt game changer and long overdue. You deserve to read it." --Dr. Phil McGraw, host of CBS's nationally syndicated show Dr. PhilInspiring stories from the frontlines of the battle against addiction by Dr. Phil's leading interventionist Joani Gammill.

Joani Gammill, an
Published March 10th 2011 by Hazelden

To ask other readers questions about The Interventionist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Interventionist

The Three Kitties That Saved My Life by Mike MeyerAngela's Ashes by Frank McCourtThe End of the World as We Know It by Robert GoolrickThis Life Is in Your Hands by Melissa ColemanI Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali
Heartbreaking Memoirs
44th out of 50 books — 37 voters
Some Are Sicker Than Others by Andrew SeawardGo Ask Alice by Beatrice SparksCrank by Ellen HopkinsA Million Little Pieces [Oprah's Book Club] by James J. FreyEvery Silver Lining Has a Cloud by Scott   Stevens
Substance Abuse & Addiction
446th out of 561 books — 1,232 voters

More lists with this book...

April Forker
Mar 24, 2012 April Forker rated it it was amazing
I just finished up this book and I have to say that I LOVED it. I am a recovering alcoholic myself so I completely related to this entire book. I related to everything that Joani went through as well as the people in her interventions. This book is a very honest account of what addiction can do to those affected by the disease and also how their families and friends are affected. Joani knows her facts also - I like reading a book about addiction where I KNOW The author is educated on the subject ...more
Patti
Jun 28, 2012 Patti rated it liked it

This was a good read but parts were just sad knowing that people have these demons that they can't shake. The author went through Hell but Is now helping others. Good lessons and tips for anyone that knows of someone fighting an addiction.
Barb
Nov 07, 2013 Barb rated it really liked it
I think that Joani Gammill is a gift to those that struggle with severe addiction. What she says is that what keeps her sober is helping others; her approach is through love; she is constantly giving her love and her hope to others that may or may not be successful in recovery. She does not allow fear of loosing these people that she helps with her love to deter her from helping the next addict. She seems to let go of any expectations from those that she helps. She does not take their actions ...more
Ken Montrose
Sep 05, 2014 Ken Montrose rated it really liked it
The Interventionist alternates between Gammill's own story of addiction and recovery, and accounts of interventions she facilitated. I found her story moving, not just emotionally, but in a literary sense. I thought her personal story was well paced, with just enough detail. (Too many recovery books could be titled "My Plod Through Hell, My Instantaneous Recovery.")

The Interventionist could have used a lot less intervention stories. By the end they reminded me of a welcome hug held too long.
Keri
Feb 19, 2012 Keri rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome, especially if you know an addict. It helps open your eyes to the real addiction ways. Ive always heard stories on addicts and the manipulating they are known for! If you are dealing with or have dealt with addicts, this is a MUST read for you! I could not put it down!!!
David Ward
Jan 16, 2016 David Ward rated it liked it
The Interventionist by Joani Gammill (Hazelden 2011) (362.29062) is a well-written book about individuals battling drug alcohol addiction. Its publishing house is Hazelden, which is known as a leading recovery hospital/center. My rating: 6.5/10, finished 1/8/13.
Angela
An interesting take on careers, this person provides a memoir on her experiences rescuing people from themselves and their addictions, as requested by family members.
Melody Ray
Aug 19, 2014 Melody Ray rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shungite-faves
I reread this book once every year and always find new things. Great book for those who struggle with addictions themselves or know someone who does.
Andrea Lewis
Sep 19, 2012 Andrea Lewis rated it really liked it
The author was very candid with her dysfunctional upbringing and addiction. She also includes various stories of the people she helps through intervention. Sad but enlightening as well.
Krazyangel
Sep 25, 2011 Krazyangel rated it really liked it
This was a good read and I learned alot from the book. Learn about how drugs really can take over your body, life, and family.
Sarah71015
Sep 03, 2015 Sarah71015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, candidly honest book. Liked the format of going back and forth between her experiences as an interventionist and her struggles with addiction.
Jimmy
Apr 15, 2013 Jimmy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recovery
Being a recovering alcoholic/addict myself I thought Joani Gammill did a great job of being honest and raw when it comes to this disease.
Chelsea
Aug 16, 2011 Chelsea rated it liked it
Raw and up close look at the mind of an addict. How Joan Gammill took a negative and turned it into a positive. Interesting and sad and very honest.
Shannon Newcomb
Jan 17, 2013 Shannon Newcomb rated it really liked it
I liked the look into addiction from the interventionist point of view. Especially the fact that Joani herself was a recovering addict.
Susan Mahler-hughes
Susan Mahler-hughes rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Julie Resler
Julie Resler rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Milissa
Milissa rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2012
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Jamie Comstock
Jamie Comstock rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2012
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2015
Jill Roberts
Jill Roberts rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
Nancy L. Robinson
Nancy L. Robinson rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2014
Felicia
Feb 07, 2012 Felicia rated it liked it
Enjoy these stories of redemption and human growth from tragedy to fulfillment.
Estelle Holtzhausen
Dec 17, 2012 Estelle Holtzhausen rated it it was amazing
Some people are born with patience....!
Terry
Terry rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2013
Lori
Lori rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2012
Patricia Constant
Patricia Constant rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2012
Tilly
Tilly rated it did not like it
Apr 11, 2016
Jen Bober
Jen Bober rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it really liked it
May 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Addictive Thinking: Understanding Self-Deception
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Tough Times, Tough People: 101 Stories about Overcoming the Economic Crisis and Other Challenges
  • Moments of Clarity: Voices from the Front Lines of Addiction and Recovery
  • Addict In The Family: Stories of Loss, Hope, and Recovery
  • Law Man: My Story of Robbing Banks, Winning Supreme Court Cases, and Finding Redemption
  • The Peter Pan Syndrome - Men Who Have Never Grown Up
  • Make Miracles in Forty Days: Turning What You Have into What You Want
  • Underground: My Life with SDS and the Weathermen
  • The Secret Life of Winnie Cox: Slavery, forbidden love and tragedy
  • Misadventures of a 1970s Childhood: A Humorous Memoir
  • May God Have Mercy: A True Story of Crime and Punishment
  • Drunkard: A Hard-Drinking Life
  • Mortal Crimes: 7 Novels of Suspense
  • Chasing Justice: My Story of Freeing Myself After Two Decades on Death Row for a Crime I Didn’t Commit
  • Murder! Too Close To Home (The Adventures of Gabriel Celtic #1)
  • Mirth, Murder & Mystery
  • It's Not Really About the Hair: The Honest Truth About Life, Love, and the Business of Beauty
  • Love Is a Choice: The Definitive Book on Letting Go of Unhealthy Relationships