Start by marking “Hard Frost (Inspector Frost, #4)” as Want to Read:
Hard Frost (Inspector Frost, #4)

Hard Frost (Inspector Frost #4)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  538 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Detective Inspector Jack Frost, Denton Division,is not beloved by his superiors. In fact, he'ssomething of a pain in the brass: unkempt and unruly,with a taste for crude humor and a tendency to cutcorners. They'd like nothing better than to bouncehim from the department. The only problem is,Frost's the one D.I. who, by hookor by crook, always seems to find a way to get the...more
Published September 1st 1995 by Bantam (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Hard Frost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hard Frost

Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareCrescendo by Becca FitzpatrickTorment by Lauren Kate
Young Adults "CAN'T FREAKIN WAIT TO READ" Books
293rd out of 494 books — 1,480 voters
The Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréIn Cold Blood by Truman CapoteSmilla's Sense of Snow by Peter HøegSnow by Orhan PamukCold Mountain by Charles Frazier
Frosty Book Titles
54th out of 173 books — 43 voters

More lists with this book...

Brandon
For a town with so much crime, they certainly have a hard time staffing their police force. This time around, Denton is subject to some gruesome occurrences. Detectives are trying to track down a missing child believed to be the bait in a blackmail scam while elsewhere, infants are being stabbed in the comfort of their own cribs. If that wasn’t bad enough, a deranged mother has murdered her three children and then leaped to her death in front of an oncoming train.

Just like in previous Inspector...more
Bill
I've now read three books in the DI Frost series and have enjoyed them all very much. Frost is a bit of an anachronism, a throwback who relies on his gut-instinct more than fancy technological investigative techniques. His boss, Mr Mullet, who is shallow and sychophantic, hates Frost, hates his scruffiness, his off-colour humour and his laziness towards doing paperwork and his habit of bending the rules, will do anything to get rid of Frost. But Frost has this habit of coming out on top each and...more
Stuart Langridge

SUMMARY:
Detective Inspector Jack Frost, Denton Division, is not beloved by his superiors. In fact, he's something of a pain in the brass: unkempt and unruly, with a taste for crude humor and a tendency to cut corners. They'd like nothing better than to bounce him from the department. The only problem is, Frost's the one D.I. who, by hook or by crook, always seems to find a way to get the job done. It's a high price to pay for a pak of smokes when Frost interrupts his vacation to filch some of Co

Madonna
While I still liked this edition to the series, I didn't like it as much as the first one.
Much of why I like this series was present in this book, but I felt the forward motion of this plot was dragging in places; the investigation of the missing boy was too involved for me. I don't like plots with children in danger, so not to find him "soon," made me anxious and upset. And, in Frost books, the resolution of the case could go either way--the boy is found alive or dead. So, the delay in learnin...more
Sandi
The Denton police division is shorthanded after a car crash involving several tipsy policemen so Inspector Frost is called in early from his vacation and has to cope with, among other things, blackmail, dead bodies, and a kidnapper. I always enjoy the books in this series and while Frost is not the most likable character he does get the job done even if it takes a few tries.
Jen
This was a terrific detective novel set in England in the 90s. Definitely creepy, but the humor and wonderfully painted Inspector Jack Frost tempered the heeby-jeebies. I think I will have to lay off crime for a while because it messes with me. If you want a good thrill, check out this series!
Kgwhitehurst
DI Jack Frost has a good heart, but it's hard to detect when it's buried beneath layers of crud--his clothes, his attitude, his sexist and foul jokes. But he knows who's trouble and who's not, and he's not in this game for career advancement. Finding a kidnapped kid before he dies means something to Frost personally, not to his career. Too many around him are ladder climbers, including Acting Detective Inspector Jim Cassidy who wants to be associated with Frost if things go well, but who will be...more
Tina
I'm a big fan of the Touch of Frost TV series and decided to try the books the series was based on. I realize the position Sir David Jason holds in England so I understand the changes made to DI Frost to bring him to television as played by that actor, but it was still disconcerting to find the book Frost to be a little unlikable. He was a bit of a pratt to be honest, and much more perverted than the television version of the same character. Nonetheless, the book was an enjoyable mystery and boo...more
Paul
May 24, 2014 Paul rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys gently humourous crime
Hard Frost by R. G. Wingfield

The Plot:

Inspector Jack Frost is a disheveled, grubby, chain smoking character (reminiscent of Columbo, the American detective made famous in the TV show of the same name), constantly in trouble with his superiors & colleagues, though affectionately regarded by the rank & file. His Chief would dearly love to get shot of him, but Frost tenaciously hangs onto his job, despite taking liberties & short cuts with police procedures & cheeky asides directed...more
brian dean
I really like the Wingfield series about an English detective Inspector named Frost. However, there are some parts tough to read.

I am not writing about the death of three children -although that was difficult - but about the casual sexism. "Cow" is used 36 times in the story, according to my Kindle search function and none of them are related to the animal that provides steak and dairy products. Frost also likes to poke people in the ass, although he may not be sexist in this regard he is an equ...more
Tyrone
Frost is back, and in charge, much to Mullets dismay, following a car accident involving colleagues including the impeccable Inspector Allen.

This time the stakes are raised as there is a missing boy, being held for ransom and time is running out and Frost has made a mistake, not unusual but this one threatens to end his career for good this time. It is the double jeopardy, the life of the boy and the fact that Frosts career is hanging by a thread which makes this one such a nailbiter.

The frost o...more
Christine Blachford
Another great installment of the Inspector Frost series. Very similar to all the others, in that there are many different cases, with lots of different people – some of the threads intertwine and some don’t. Some spark off clues to others, and some are entirely separate.

Frost is his usual grumpy self, although this time he has not one, but two colleagues to try and get on side. One of them is a woman, and that means this book is more full than usual of hideous stereotypes and sexism. A sign of t...more
Richard
Typical "Frost" novel, which is fine with me. Frost messing up, Mullett threatening to fire him, an unsympathetic partner, several cases going on at once, and Frost's vulgar comments are all here.
Thorn
Pretty good read. A lot of the same old sexist reaction to the female inspector in the book, which is really getting tiresome. So some guys don't like being told what to do by a woman. Does *anybody* like being told what to do by *anybody*? Why do all women in crime fiction remind the men of their evil mother/teacher/wife/ex-wife, while (statistically) none of the men remind anybody -- male or female -- of anyone but their unique,individual selves? We're not all flipping archetypes.

Anyway. Aside...more
Esther
Fast read. Many crimes going on, but they are indirectly related. Example: While dredging the river for one crime evidence is found for another. I though the main character was somewhat irreverent and the English vocabulary caused me to miss a couple of points, but still found the book very interesting.
Nikki
Funny at not so good times w/c is so good. Frost knows humor. Its thrilling plot would urge you to turn from the first page until you reach the last of it. I'd been immensely absorbed on Frost's mind-bending cases, and there's a lot of it. I couldn't believe that the whole book just happened around two days. It seems like months.

Not my typical read and genre, but it certainly plowed me into its world. Now, I want more of the same genre!
Jim
Nov 20, 2010 Jim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: crime
Another Bargain Book buy, another good read. My first Frost, and he came across as a believable character. He's portrayed as a bit of a dinosaur, sexist, breaking the rules, and you wonder how big a step it is for the author. If it wasn't for the picture of David Jason I had in my mind, it would have been Harry Enfield's Yorkshireman. It was also quite a gritty story, but at least your face was not shoved in a sewer of gruesome detail, and I made it to the end in the end.
Marti
This book I had on the shelf of my stationary bike downstairs. It is so compelling, that I plan to keep it after lending it to a friend. Jack Frost is a slobby, untidy policeman who is relentless in his search for a kidnapped boy. Time and time again he returns to previous settings and information to solve a case. He is unforgettable in his character flaws and reasoning.
Liz
Another fun Inspector Frost book. Fun is probably not the right word considering the horrific crimes that occur, but Frost definitely cracks me up in how he deals with things. I think the thing I really like about him is that he says the kinds of things to his boss that the rest of us only wish we could say.
Truscotsman72
The first 'Frost' novel i read was 'Frost at Christmas' and Frost came across as a dirty harry roguish kind of character. I thought it was a great book, but on this book Frost is a filthy, crude, sexist pig. A complete change in the main character, and purely for that reason the book was ok. Not great.
Gretchen
It’s a complex plot with multiple crimes under investigation, lots of plot twists, and is hard to put down. Characterization and wit both make it engaging. Wingfield is, above all, an accomplished storyteller. It is another of the Jack Frost mysteries – a Detective Inspector in Denton, England.
Rog Harrison
I had read this one before but did not remember much about it. Reading it immediately after "Frost at Christmas" it struck me that by this book Frost was a much more real character. It's a great read which I could not put down with lots of twists and turns and a satisfying ending.
Melissa Martin
I LOVE THE FROST BOOKS. I STARTED READING THEM AFTER WATCHING THE BRIT SERIES ON TV AND OF COURSE I OWN THEM ALL AS WELL. I LOVE THE BOOKS THE ARE RIGHT IN LINE WITH THE DVD'S. I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK FOR ANYONE THAT LOVES TO READ BRITISH MYSTERIES.
Judy
I positively love the 'luck of Frost' and the way several crimes are solved within the span of one book. Detective Frost is a sexist pig, but a self-deprecating and ingratiating one. Forgiveable.
Anna
Detective Frost is scruffy, rules-breaking police officer, but he tries very hard to solve the case of kidnapped boy. He uses his informal sources like people who were arrested by him.
Alex Rogers
Competent police procedural with some interesting characters and okay storyline. I enjoyed reading the book, but didn't feel inspired to read more of the series.
Craig
Wingfield had a gem of a character in Frost. His books are excellent and I will go back and enjoy them again and again.
Migdalia
Nov 25, 2008 Migdalia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Another enjoyable read, a little darker (if that can be so), but very good. The whole series is worth a read.
Johanna
Loved it! Perhaps not quite as funny as some of his other novels though. Great story. I adore frost!
Laurie Stoll
Others have given this story a very good rating. I just cannot seem to enjoy "British" stories.
  • The Secret of Annexe 3 (Inspector Morse, #7)
  • Blind To The Bones (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #4)
  • The Best Man to Die (Inspector Wexford, #4)
  • Faithful Unto Death (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #5)
  • Ruling Passion (Dalziel & Pascoe, #3)
  • The Crow Trap (Vera Stanhope, #1)
Rodney David Wingfield was a prolific writer of radio crime plays and comedy scripts, some for the late Kenneth Williams, star of the Carry On films. His crime novels featuring DI Jack Frost have been successfully adapted for television as A Touch of Frost starring David Jason. Wingfield was a modest man, shunning the London publicity scene in favour of a quite life in Basildon, Essex, with his wi...more
More about R.D. Wingfield...
Frost At Christmas (Inspector Frost, #1) A Touch Of Frost (Inspector Frost, #2) A Killing Frost (Inspector Frost, #6) Night Frost (Inspector Frost, #3) Winter Frost (Inspector Frost, #5)