Start by marking “PLUTO: Naoki Urasawa x Osamu Tezuka, Tome 008 (Pluto, #8)” as Want to Read:
PLUTO: Naoki Urasawa x Osamu Tezuka, Tome 008 (Pluto, #8)

PLUTO: Naoki Urasawa x Osamu Tezuka, Tome 008 (Pluto #8)

4.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,317 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
Dans le monde futuriste imaginé par Osamu Tezuka, où les robots vivent aux côtés des humains et comme des humains, une série de crimes mystérieux s'enchaîne. Des robots et des chercheurs renommés sont assassinés dans des circonstances étranges liées à des phénomènes naturels – feu de forêt, tornade extrêmement locale... Toutes les victimes sont retrouvées avec un ornement ...more
Published July 1st 2011 by Kana (first published June 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about PLUTO, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about PLUTO

Agne
Dec 18, 2015 Agne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: science fiction fans
Recommended to Agne by: Panels & Pages Book Group
WHAT IS IT ABOUT?

“Pluto: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 008” by Naoki Urasawa and Takashi Nagasaki is the last book in an eight-book science fiction manga series Pluto. The whole series is based on “The Greatest Robot on Earth,” the most popular story arc in Astro Boy series written by a legendary manga master Osamu Tezuka.

Thanks to Gesicht’s memory chip, Atom, a.k.a. Astro Boy, wakes up. However, he is different: provided with the memories and emotions of the other six great robots of the world, Atom
أحمد رشيد
Apr 02, 2013 أحمد رشيد rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, manga
رائع... رائع ... رائع
أول مانجا مكتمل أقرأه بكافة أجزاءه و فصوله...
هو عبارة عن 8 أجزاء... قُسمت كل منها إلى فصول... بمعدل 8-9 فصل لكل جزء... أي أن مجموعها كاملة 65 فصل تماماً... و كل فصل منها تحوي ما معدّله 25 صفحة...
*********
القصة مذهلة... مع بعض التعقيد, و لكن كل الألغاز تحل في الجزء الأخير من القصة...
هذه القصة مبنية على مسلسل "آسترو بوي" المشهور... مع أن آسترو "أو آتوم كما ذكر اسمه في المانجا" ليس هو البطل الرئيسي... و لكن له دور مهم...
بنيت القصة كما ذكرت على ذلك المسلسل...لكن بنضوج و وعي أكبر
Jeff
Aug 04, 2012 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
William Hanley
Feb 08, 2014 William Hanley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Urasawa's Pluto (the 21st Century adaptaion of Osamu Tezuka's "Astro Boy") has become my favorite manga series to date. A masterful story of suspense and mystery with a thought-provoking foundation of philosophical questions - such as the connection between humans and robots. When the separation between humans and robots become smaller and smaller to the point where it's hard to tell the difference between the two, what is the effect on society? I think it's fascinating to think about ethics in ...more
Jeff Lanter
Mar 10, 2014 Jeff Lanter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I have to admit that I was losing interesting in Pluto in the last two volumes. The stories took a turn towards the predictable with Epsilon (a character I did really like but could see where the story was going well before it happened) and then the villain's evil plans that feel like too many other movies and TV shows out there. However, the ending really nailed the landing. I found the message of Pluto to be really moving. Good endings are not easy to pull off, especially in a longer form of s ...more
Charles
Stuff I Read - Pluto Vol 8 Review

Well, the mystery is over. After taking a bit of break between volumes six and seven I breezed my way to the ending and it was quite a ride. I picked up this series not really knowing anything about Astro Boy except that it was an old cartoon that I never really wanted to watch. Since starting the series (and it has been some time since I started this series) I have learned a bit more, but mostly I decided that you don't need to love or even know all that much ab
dreams_of_a_butterfly
Info
Book: PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 008
Author: Naoki Urasawa
Series: Pluto (8th book)
Length: Medium

Summary
The conclusion to the Pluto series... Sorry, can't reveal more!

Review
Really, a suitable ending. With a diverse range of characters, and a stunning end from all the threads of story. Atom's story is a good one, and I felt myself getting emotional at times.
I will miss you, Gesicht and Atom.

This review was made with help from the Review writing topic from the Challenge Factory group. Than
Stéphanie
Dec 10, 2012 Stéphanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Encore une série d'Urasawa puissante et prenante. C'est également un ben bel hommage à Tezuka.Je regrette cependant une fin un peu faiblarde en comparaison avec les autres tomes, mais globalement il s'agit malgré ce léger défaut d'une série vraiment excellente tant au niveau du dessin qu'au niveau des émotions véhiculées par l'histoire.
Verónica
Jan 29, 2015 Verónica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tengo un cacao mental con este manga... No me he enterado mucho... xDDD Pero a estado bien!!
Corinna Bechko
Every bit as wonderful as the books leading up to it, and that's really saying something.
Kamillah
"Nothing comes of hate." It's a simple, straightforward message, just four words to encapsulate much of Naoki Urawasawa's epic series about a serial killer robot who ultimately takes his last stand against a boy robot who finally learns how to hate. The Pluto series is complex, multi-layered, and confusing at times because of the abrupt time jumps and shifts of perspective. I can't pretend it all made sense to me--I read the final explanation of Pluto and Bora at least three times and I'm still ...more
Hugo
Jun 22, 2011 Hugo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Normalmente me pasa con las historias de Naoki Urasawa que las devoro. Me paso con Monster y con 20th Century Boys. Ahora con la historia del Robot mas fuerte del mundo, da su vision a una historia de Osamu Tezuka de parte del robot de la europol Gesicht, remarcando aun su fascinacion por Alemania ubicando a su protagonista en Dusseldorf. El protagonismo poco a poco va recayendo en Atom. La historia esta repleta de intrigas, todos peleando por interesas propios, dejando relegado los combates los ...more
Leslie
Finally! the dramatic conclusion to Urasawa x Tezuka’s Pluto.

By the seventh volume of Pluto, it looks like the bad guys have won and the Reader is left reeling from one incredible loss after another. There are also some unanswered questions, like: What is up with that cuddly-looking yet creepy teddy bear?

What that United States of Thracia related teddy bear is is confirmed in volume 8, and the “weapons of mass destruction” investigation/fall-out is completely revealed. Yes, the political maneuve
Tintinrulz
Mar 29, 2013 Tintinrulz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Pluto" by Naoki Urasawa and Takashi Nagasaki is a quality manga series based on Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy universe, particularly his story "The Greatest Robot in the World". The series comprises of 8 volumes and is much more serious in tone than Tezuaka's original. It's told in the vein of a sci-fi/crime/thriller. I'll be reviewing the English translation.

TRANSLATION:
The English translation is well done and includes minimal spelling and grammatical errors. I absolutely believe it would've been b
Damon
Aug 09, 2010 Damon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really incredible stuff. Taking the relative simplicity of Astro Boy and expanding it into work like this would be impressive enough on its own, but this stands on its own even without being familiar with the original AB story, or even having much acquaintence with the character at all.
It's really interesting how Urasawa manages to evoke such emotional connection to characters even though they're "just robots" - I think, in a way, that you make a stronger connection to them, and see their suffer
Bob Mackey
Sep 07, 2015 Bob Mackey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Damn, do I love Naoki Urasawa. As with American comic books, the world of manga has plenty of pandering, brain dead fiction, but he's one of only a handful of manga authors I can think of that avoids these pitfalls. And while Pluto isn't my favorite of his works, it's certainly great. If you're looking for a way to approach a classic like Astro Boy without being turned off by the of-the-time hokeyness of Tezuka's work, this series is definitely the way to go. Urasawa really knows how to tell a " ...more
Christina
This series was quite the ride. When I had to stop in mid-read to go to work, it was agony. I loved the personalities of the "Seven Greatest Robots," their interactions with each other and the way the relationships formed between certain people, especially human and robot characters, were portrayed, like with Gesicht and Professor Hoffman. The event at the end of Volume 6 had my jaw dropping in shock. This story will stay with me for a long, long time.
Miguel
Nov 29, 2015 Miguel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The greatest AI... lies. Even to itself."

Pluto's conclusion is satisfying, moving, and ultimately true to the vision of Tezuka's original manga in ways I did not expect. Really, if you've read the preceding volumes, there's no need for a review. Every expectation will be exceeded by this final volume.
Al
Aug 05, 2015 Al rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un final perfecto, precioso, increíble. Definitivamente, Pluto se ha convertido en mi manga favorito. Es... algo que no puedo explicar, tendréis que leerlo.

Aclaración: que yo lo considere precioso no quiere decir que el resto del universo vaya a hacerlo, pero, simplemente, lo es.

Un canto a la esperanza.
Hengtee
May 13, 2012 Hengtee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jacob Williams
The reviews led me to expect a lot from this series. I may be missing some relevant cultural background (such as prior knowledge of Astro Boy) needed to appreciate it - it was enjoyable, but nonsensical elements in the plot and setting detracted.
Jacki
Jul 17, 2010 Jacki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I waited until I read Vol 8 to review this series because I felt like it should be considered as one large work instead of volume by volume.

I LOVE this series. It's wonderful. Mystery, action, the ever-present question of how far AI can evolve... I got very attached to the robot characters and found the multiple deaths saddening, but I think that just means the authors did their job.

This series was my introduction to Astroboy. I knew the history of the anime and manga, but had never seen or rea
Philippe Lhoste
Dec 31, 2011 Philippe Lhoste rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf, manga
La suite et la fin des premiers volumes.
La fin m'a un peu déçu, peut-être parce que les auteurs ont construit un suspense et un mystère tel que toute conclusion sonne un peu creuse...
Reste la narration, toujours à suspense (un peu dure à suivre par moment), les idées généreuses (un peu simpliste : "la guerre, la haine, c'est mal", mais suffisamment bien traités pour que ça passe sans être naïf), le dessin superbe.

Bon, certaines explications sont un peu légères. Pourquoi un robot "meurt", surtout
Ahmed Abdelmoteleb
Perfect plot, perfect art, perfect tragedy, perfect escalation of events, perfect and satosfying conclusion.
it's been a long since I last read something that I felt so close and being drawn completely by it's whole being.
How good does it feel seeing a robot AI close to human ?! if you want to know the answer you gotta read pluto.
Marika
Jul 21, 2014 Marika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J'ai vraiment, vraiment adoré cette série, qui m'aura arraché quelques larmes plus d'une fois. Une très belle découverte totalement par hasard que je suis très heureuse d'avoir faite.
Christopher
Feb 29, 2016 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
A fitting finale to the series. Expertly plotted, great character developments, tense high stakes with each issue, and nice exploration of humanity robots and war.
Heine
Jun 05, 2015 Heine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a series based on an old property, that I know of, but haven't read. So the best thing I can say about it, would probably be, that now I want to read Astro Boy.
andrew
Mar 05, 2015 andrew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
WHAT. that was the end?! is this how upset I was when monster ended? because I am furious.
Kanti
Jul 05, 2009 Kanti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any comic freak
Shelves: manga, blog
Jilid terakhir dari reinterpretasi satu babak karya Tezuka Osamu oleh Urasawa Naoki, "Robot terbesar di Dunia". Tamat euy. Capai memeras jantung dan air mata juga menungguinya selama ini, drama robot-robot sok sensitif, banyak yang harus dimaknai sendiri. Dan untuk beberapa saat ini kayaknya cara pandang saya terhadap beruang Teddy akan berubah drastis.

Sayang sampulnya kali ini kenapa gambar si Atom lagi. Kan sudah di jilid 2. mestinya pasang muka orang lain dong, biar gantian. Tapi Urasawa leb
Emma
Aug 20, 2015 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good ending to a good story. Even though this felt a little rushed, I still enjoyed it
  • Black Jack, Vol. 2
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Vol. 3 (Ōoku: The Inner Chambers / 大奥, #3)
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 10 (Eden: It's an Endless World, #10)
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 3 (Children of the Sea, #3)
  • Crying Freeman, Vol. 4
  • Planetes, Volume 2 (Planetes, #2)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 2
  • Berserk, Vol. 23
  • Akira, Vol. 3
  • おやすみプンプン 2
Urasawa Naoki ( 浦沢 直樹) is a Japanese mangaka. He is perhaps best known for Monster (which drew praise from Junot Díaz, the 2008 Pulitzer Prize winner) and 20th Century Boys.

Urasawa's work often concentrates on intricate plotting, interweaving narratives, a deep focus on character development and psychological complexity. Urasawa has won the Shogakukan Manga Award, the Japan Media Arts Festival ex
More about Naoki Urasawa...

Pluto (8 books)
  • PLUTO: Naoki Urasawa x Ozamu Tezuka, Band 001 (Pluto, #1)
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 002 (Pluto, #2)
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 003 (Pluto, #3)
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 004 (Pluto, #4)
  • PLUTO: 浦沢 直樹 x 手塚 治虫 005 (Pluto, #5)
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 006 (Pluto, #6)
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 007 (Pluto, #7)