Start by marking “Trickster's Queen (Daughter of the Lioness, #2)” as Want to Read:
Trickster's Queen (Daughter of the Lioness, #2)

Trickster's Queen (Daughter of the Lioness #2)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  38,744 ratings  ·  621 reviews
Aly’s adventure continues. . . . No longer a slave, Alanna’s daughter is now spying as part of an underground rebellion against the colonial rulers of the Copper Isles. The people in the rebellion believe that a prophecy in which a new queen will rise up to take the throne is about to be realized. Aly is busy keeping the potential teenage queen and her younger siblings saf ...more
Library Binding, 480 pages
Published September 28th 2004 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Trickster's Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trickster's Queen

Amanda
This is the sequel to Trickster's Choice, beginning six months or so after the events in that novel. Alianne Cooper, daughter of Alanna the Lioness and George (Tortallan spymaster) has won her wager with the god Kyprioth and kept Sarai and Dove (the two elder daughters of the Balitangs) alive, but she has elected to stay in the Copper Isles and see the half-blood Queen crowned.

We begin the novel with the Balitang family arriving back in the city of Rajmuat, plunging themselves into political int
E
Well, that was disappointing. I had hoped that the story would evolve from the stage that Pierce had set up in the first book, that the rather non-existant stakes that Aly had faced would become something more substantial once the Balitangs returned to Rajmuat. Somehow things managed to come even easier to Aly than before and while I admired the old-school spy games of the first book they now seem to require little effort, relying on magic and gods' whims to do all the work.

All the villains are
Brian Wilkerson
I have to say I did not like this one as well as the first. My reasons for thus are as follow: 1. the plot wasn't as structured as the first. 2. The villains are so incompetent Aly glides through the plot easily. 3. Things that 'go wrong' are actually helpful for the heroes. 4. Aly's relationship with Nawat feels off. Still a book worth reading but not as good as the first.

First my beef with the plot. The story begins with Aly and the Balitangs returning to the capital from their place in the c
Carolynn
Tamora Pierce was part of my literary diet when I was growing up. The combination of Western fantasy with Western science fiction means that even now I picture the fantasy city with wide boulevards, low-gabled houses, and amber sunlight dappling the warm streets.

Malheureusement, growing up one comes to perceive the limitations of such a treatment of the genre.

Trickster’s Queen, then, is a painful reread because I approach it this time with a new clarity of vision. It is a story, essentially, abo
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Sep 20, 2008 Shannon (Giraffe Days) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shannon (Giraffe Days) by: Maria M. Elmvang
Shelves: fantasy, ya, 2008
I would have read this book right after finishing Trickster's Choice but I'm always afraid there'll be too much rehashing of previous events etc., which gets really annoying. Instead, there's very very little, and what there is is slipped in there naturally. I was rather surprised at the things I'd forgotten, like about Duke Mequen! That was pretty significant, I'm surprised I'd forgotten that.

The Balitang family return to the capital of Rajmuat where the formidable matriarch of the family, Aunt
Tawnie
Grades: 7 to 10 Genre: Fantasy
No longer a slave, Aly’s life is still far from simple as she has become part of the plot to place a Raka queen on the throne of the Copper Isles. Over the winter she has become a master of spies for the rebellion. Another complication in her life is her relationship with the half man, half crow Nawat. He wants to solidify their relationship and can’t understand Aly’s hesitation. The family Aly serves is moving back to the city to become part of the court there. Hop
Veeska
Dec 22, 2008 Veeska rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who have read the prequel and want to find out what happens next
Usually the sequel to a book isn’t nearly as good as the first one, but this was an exception. Possibly I liked this book more than the first one.
Pierce continues in her quest to put a half raka girl on the throne, and take down the current rulers who are mistreating the raka. On the way she endangers and saves and endangers again her creations, making a wonderful story.
Only a few new people are introduced into this tail, but only a few are needed. If possible, I think this sequel is more action
Maree
Quite the fun read. I always like these kinds of fantasy stories, and the world is so rich with detail about the world and lands created. The history of each country, there to explain why certain types of people feel certain ways about one another; it's just so elaborate and just what a spy would need to know about to survive in a rival country.

Another thing I like about Pierce is that her girls are full of adventure and believe, like me, that they can do anything. Aly's wits are sharp and she i
Chelsea
I'm a huge Tamora Pierce fan. Her Song of the Lioness and Immortals series both count among my childhood-defining books (I feel secure in crediting Alanna with my strange fascination with girls disguising themselves as boys, and Daine and Numair were likely a part of why I like a good mentor/student relationship). So I was really freaking excited when her new series came out. Pierce is great with character continuity, and she likes to bring characters from former series into her new ones, which ...more
Libby Ames
As usual, Pierce creates interesting characters with depth as well as growth. As a sequel to Trickster's Choice, I liked that she provided plot twists and didn't head in the exact direction she implied from the first book. This book is a fast paced adventure story, but also shows provides an interesting look at political intrigue and the consequences of a weak and ineffectual monarchy.

Also as usual, my biggest point of contention with Pierce is the premarital sex between important characters. Th
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

The duchess has freed Aly from slavery and now she is spy and leader of the underground rebellion to put a Raka Queen on the throne of the Copper Isles. The Balitang family plus Aly are returning to Rajmuat, and it is Aly job to put Sarai on the throne. This is a very good book but it is a complex story and is very political, however, Tamora Pierce pulls this off. I love a lot of the characters and even the minor pe
Fake Name

My main problem with the book was the main character- Aly. I thought she'd improve from the first book, but if anything, she got worse.
Aly is arrogant, annoying, patronizing- the list goes on and on. Everything she does is right, everything she thinks turns out to be true, and absolutely nothing catches her off-guard. No matter what happens, she knows what to do (a teenager with no field experience) and she's not at all upset. I won't give spoilers with specific examples, but it is incredibly
Bridget Mckinney

I definitely liked Trickster's Queen better than I liked Trickster's Choice. I still have some of the same problems with it that I had with the previous book, but I think I enjoyed this one more because it felt more like Tamora Pierce's other Tortall books.

Cool stuff in Trickster's Queen:

-Nuritin Balitang, the great aunt of Dove and Sarai, is wonderful.
-DARKINGS. Although I have a complaint about this, too, that I'll get to later.
-The names of Daine and Numair's children. Blub.
-Dove reall
Alyssa
Aly has become my new favorite character in Pierce's compilation of series. Prior to reading the Trickster's books, I had been most fond of Daine.
Why is Aly such a great character? Because she's smart, doesn't rely too much on fighting but rather on manipulating events, is passionate about helping people, coolheaded, and her gift isn't entirely too overpowered as I found Daine's to be. Also, the life of a spy is so much better to read about than the life of a knight (sorry, Alanna, Kel!).
While
D.
I loved Trickster's Queen even though I did not read its prequel, Trickster's Choice. I purchased the novel under the false pretense that it was not a sequel, and finished it before looking at the "other works by this author" page and realizing that there were a multitude of books about the same world. However, in Tricker's Queen the author does a wonderful job of giving background about the characters and their rebellion. I didn't feel like I was confused or in the dark about the story despite ...more
Kathy Davie
Second in the Daughter of the Lioness young adult adventure-fantasy series about Aly Cooper, 16-year-old spy for the raka rebellion.

My Take
Most of Pierce's stories are written at a children's level. This series is geared more toward young adults simply because of the longer sentence lengths, more sophisticated wording, and the greater reading comprehension required. Do not however let this hold your kids back! This is a fascinating read and much too compelling to put down easily!!

I still disagre
Luminousjune
I was uncertain when I acquired this series awhile back. The writing, for various reasons, has grew and changed from Alanna most defiantly. It was amusing and a bit awkward at points to see references towards previous characters. Disturbing perhaps due to a feeling of time-skip. Ie last we heard of Daine, aside from Protector of the Small, she was getting along with Numair and now she has children. Disorienting with the peaks throughout Protector and Daughter of the Lioness. The writing itself c ...more
Lily A. Mell
Trickster's Queen is, in my opinion one of Tamora Pierce's best novels. Continuing the story of Alianne Cooper - the only daughter of Alanna the Lioness - that was begun in Trickster's Choice, it also involves a few characters from Tamora Pierce's Immortals Quartet, including the small black creatures called Darkings, who are made of magic and make perfect spies.
In this novel, Aly helps to head the Kyprian resistance movement in the Copper Isles, serving as their spymaster. Clever and humorous,
Ashley
Turns out I'm not going to write a full review of this, but I did want to get some quick thoughts down about it while they're still fresh. Mostly I just want to talk about how fun it was to read a book about a girl who is so competent at something girls aren't usually good at in novels, and who has a chance to do something serious, with real consequence. I liked the twist half-way through with Dove and Sarai, and I love love love Aly and Nawat together. This doesn't get five stars from me, thoug ...more
Emily Hopman
The writer in this series is one of my favorites I know of, with two great series that I have read, and another I sadly can't seem to find anywhere. She is a great world builder, and it really shows in this series.
In fact, I will probably bring a lot of this review to explain simply just how well built it is. There are lots of different nations and countries, but only two or three are focused on. Despite this, all of the different places have different ways of dressing and little quirks that ma
♥Xeni♥
Read July 10, 2014

---

Read 2007: I adore this book. Even more than the first one, Trickster's Choice. Why? Well, where the first one was just about Ali making a pact with the trickster god, and keeping his chargers alive throughout the summer, this book was all about Ali finding her own place, carving out her own nook as spymaster for the future queen of the Copper Isles.

Packed with rebellion, spies, plots, crazy royalty, crazier gods, love, romance, headstrong women and even more, this novel ju
Miranda Harvey
To be honest I was a little disappointed by this book. Usually I fly through Tamora Pierce's books because they capture my imagination and I cannot bear to put them down until the adventure is finished.They keep you interested with twists and turns and characters that you want to call friends.

The first book in the set of 2 - Trickster's Choice - was a great read. The characters were well defined and you believed in them. The story line was intriguing and different from her other books - but in a
Susanna Parker
I loved Trickster's Choice but flat-out adored Trickster's Queen. Aly is thrown into a full-on rebellion, goes up against the Crown's infamous spymaster Topabaw, and works with the raka and luarin conspiracies to overthrow the corrupt rulers of the Copper Isles. Throughout it all, the characters that we met in the first book are fleshed out even more, Nawat and Aly's relationship grows and changes, and we learn more about power dynamics in the Copper Isles. Plus, even more appearances from Kypri ...more
Julie
Just terrible. After about half way through I was sooo bored. So I started to skim it to see if it got any better. No. Instead it added a scene where the crow (changed into a man) just couldn't wait a second longer to have sex with the main character Aly. Uugh! And this is suppose to be a young adult book. But I guess that's what we are teaching our kids these days; it's okay as long as you don't get pregnant! How did this get such great reviews?? Don't waste your time.
Nicole Chase
A worthy follow-up to "Trickster's Choice." The events set in motion in the first novel come to a head here, and I loved getting to see Aly, Nawat, and Dove come into their own in this book. Points for a large cast of awesome ladies, women excercising agency, snappy writing, and general fantasy fun.
Jennifer Lynn
So, the Trickster God was as amusing as always. He pops in and out of the pages to lend a comedic hand to the book. Dove is a wonderful character that you can't help but like but at the same time, keep trying to look for flaws in. It is almost as though the author just made her just a little too perfect in my opinion and did not leave any room for flaws. The book itself was good. I enjoyed the story, especially following the last book. I waited patiently for the library to get me the second book ...more
Maureen E
Sequel to Trickster’s Choice. I could tell part of where the story was going by the end of the first book, but I was still entranced by this one. I really like Aly and hope that eventually we hear some more about her.
Trisha
Extremely boring. Oh but the author realized the book sucked so she added a sex scene to try and make up for it. Too bad THAT never works. I wouldn't have even known it was the same author as Tricksters Choice.
Fantasy Literature
Trickster's Queen is the sequel to Tamora Pierce's Trickster's Choice and (so far) the first set of books that are not quartets, but a simple duet. It is also by far her longest book, and in her acknowledgements she credits that to J.K. Rowling due to the fact that the Harry Potter books are so thick. Both books take place in Pierce's Tortall universe, though are situated on the Copper Isles rather than Tortall as in the Alanna, Immortals, and Protector of the Small quartets — which I recommend ...more
The Amazing Super...: Create a trickster 17 16 Feb 13, 2014 06:15PM
  • The Tenth Power (The Chanters of Tremaris, #3)
  • Crown Duel (Crown & Court #1-2)
  • The Riddle (The Books of Pellinor, #2)
  • Wizard's Holiday (Young Wizards, #7)
  • Rise of a Hero (The Farsala Trilogy, #2)
  • The Light of the Oracle (Healer and Seer, #3)
  • The Dream-Maker's Magic (Safe-Keepers, #3)
  • Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)
  • The Blue Sword (Damar, #2)
  • Close Kin (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #2)
  • Year of the Griffin (Derkholm, #2)
  • Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Lirael (Abhorsen, #2)
  • Heir Apparent (Rasmussem Corporation, #2)
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro
More about Tamora Pierce...

Daughter of the Lioness (2 books)
  • Trickster's Choice (Daughter of the Lioness, #1)
Alanna: The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, #1) Lioness Rampant (Song of the Lioness, #4) In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness, #2) The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness, #3) Wild Magic (Immortals, #1)

“She would have kissed him, if she kissed stupid men.” 172 likes
“There is power and there is power, my dear. My power can be vast, in the right places.” 87 likes