Start by marking “Duran Duran: Notorious” as Want to Read:
Duran Duran: Notorious

Duran Duran: Notorious

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  127 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Duran Duran was one of the seminal groups of the 1980s, with record sales topping 70 million. With their punk roots, state-of-the-art videos, and notoriously hedonistic lifestyle, they captivated audiences around the world. This new book traces their remarkable story: their rise to fame, their split in 1985, and the ensuing splinter groups, drug addiction, and rehabilitati ...more
Published September 1st 2005 by Andre Deutsch

To ask other readers questions about Duran Duran, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duran Duran

Amy
Jan 09, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
The book started out for me as a page turner. The early years into the era where they were the biggest thing ever were a good read. Towards the end, it gets dull. To me the writer seemed like he was bored with them after they had their slump in the 90s and just summed it up in a really bland, hurried kind of way.
Beth
Feb 20, 2016 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since this is an unauthorised biography, I will take some of it with a grain of salt. However, it jibes with much of what I have read about the band before, so I think it was probably fairly accurate.

There were some great quotes and anecdotes about the band. I had read about their prolific drug use and sexual appetites before but had no idea that it was so out of control. It is a fascinating glimpse inside a group of youngsters who became extremely famous before they were totally capable of han
Oct 28, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
Just like the band, the first half was riviting. Then after Andy left, the content as well as the band slid downhill.
Beate
Nov 06, 2007 Beate rated it really liked it
I learned a lot of things I didn't know about the boys - even after having been a fan for over 20 years. A must read.
Wim Van
Oct 03, 2012 Wim Van rated it liked it
Well-informed, poorly written. This band deserves a far better book.
Schmacko
Oct 19, 2008 Schmacko rated it liked it
Do I need to, at this point, tell people who Duran Duran are? Do I also have to tell people I am a huge fan and have been since I was 12 and saw the nascent band open for Blondie in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, of all places?

I think not.

Malins, who has also written about Depeche Mode, Radiohead, and Gary Newman, knows his milieu (although he’s a bit better in writing about 80s music than he is in covering Thomas Yorke’s Radiohead.) Too bad he gets some of the facts about Duran Duran wrong. What is total
Michelle Bacon
Dec 24, 2013 Michelle Bacon rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir
This poorly written book about my favorite band really just made me cringe. The book is pieced together by magazine articles and interviews of various people who have had some sort of link to the band and whatever point in their lives. The author rolls out an endless stream of adjectives to describe the different band members, mostly embellishing Nick Rhodes, and not contributing to the flow of the book.
It's a bit obvious that the writer has an affinity towards Simon LeBon for whatever reason as
Anne
Mar 03, 2008 Anne rated it did not like it
My husband got this for me, knowing of my pre-teen infatuation with the band. While interesting in describing the early years of the band, but the writing was really atrocious. It's clear that the author (a male) is totally infatuated with the keyboardist and cannot stand other members of the band (namely the one I was in love with!)
He strings together hideous strings of adjectives such as "the platinum-haired, fashion loving, Gemini". Reads way too much like Teen Beat than a serious biography o
Ken Adams
Dec 08, 2012 Ken Adams rated it did not like it
Completely awful. I had so been looking forward to reading the full tale of the lives and adventures of Duran Duran. But with this book I was let down. It's my opinion that the lies were leaping off the pages. My intuition was validated after reading John Taylor's recent book, into the pleasure groove, which was fantastic and exactly what I was looking for from a Duran member. Next I'd love for Simon to write an autobiography as well.
Darlene
Mar 25, 2008 Darlene rated it liked it
So i've been on a big Duran kick after "meeting" them at a cd signing a few months back, I picked up this book just to see if there was any juicy details that I didn't know about them. This book is pretty much a rehash of old interviews and magazine articles so if you're a fan, there's nothing new here. Not a bad book if you're looking for a history of the band, just don't expect any great revelations.
Bryn Young-roberts
What an awsome read! Girls, Cocaine and fun pop tunes. Pretty much everything I want from life. This book should be on the school curriculum as a template of what to aspire for in life. And to top it all off they look so bloody fabulous throughout their career. What a band. What a book.
Anna
Aug 04, 2007 Anna added it
I think I want this book.
Teri
Teri marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Amanda Edwards
Amanda Edwards marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Lisa Ruttenberg
Lisa Ruttenberg marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Briss
Briss marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Emrys
Emrys marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Kirsten Chappell
Kirsten Chappell marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Sandra Frantx
Sandra Frantx rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Karol
Karol marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
sarah
sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Roberta
Roberta marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Karen Enos
Karen Enos marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Adrianna
Adrianna marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Joan Kear
Joan Kear marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Alan Shook
Alan Shook marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Simon
Simon rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2016
John Spalding
John Spalding rated it liked it
May 27, 2016
  • Strange Things Happen: A Life with The Police, Polo, and Pygmies
  • We the People: An Introduction to American Politics
  • The Book of the Dragon
  • Heroes And Villains: The True Story Of The Beach Boys
  • Satires, Epistles and Ars Poetica (Loeb Classical Library No. 194)
  • Feel: Robbie Williams
  • In The Pleasure Groove: Love, Death, and Duran Duran