Start by marking “The Color of Light” as Want to Read:
The Color of Light

The Color of Light

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  353 ratings  ·  29 reviews
A great story by a prolific author
Hardcover
Published March 1st 1984 by Warner Books (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Color of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Color of Light

Armin Hennig
Dieses Künstlerschicksel ist eine gelungene Hommmage an Irwin Shaw und auf jeden Fall unvergleichlich viel besser als Tinsel, auch bei der überraschenden Schlusswendung.
Leider ist die Gestaltung der kreativen Krise ziemlich wurschtelig geraten, sonst wäre vielleicht sogar eine bessere Bewertung drin gewesen. Ausführliche Rezi eines schönen Tages, vielleicht.
Lea
I read this several times in the 80s and remember absolutely loving it. Even though I haven't read it in ages (and don't even know where my copy is now), the story and characters still stick with me. The ending, in particular, just blew me away. I'm anxious to read it again and see if it's as great as I remember.
Rowena
This is the coming-of-age story of Charles "Chub" Fuller, a brilliant writer with a wretched family past. As he moves from university in Ohio to NYC, he captures his life in several daring, ingenious stories that secure him a future in New York's grueling publishing world. However, in his struggles to ignore his own terrible past, he mires himself in a comfortable stasis, and finds himself unable to do what he once did best - write.

I was entranced by this book from page 1. This is the story of
I enjoyed this book, in spite of the fact that I slowly grew to despise the main character.
Chub Fuller is a talented young writer with his future ahead of him. He writes his first novel to critical and popular claim. But he manages to mess up almost everything else in his life. He make grievous errors, but he instead of feeling remorse, he wallows in self-pity. He can't come to terms with his horrible past, but does nothing to remedy it.
His character is portrayed very shallowly, but I can't dec
Jami Ouellette
I read this book when it first came out in paperback, and reread again before I gave the book back to my sister. It was awesome! And it still comes to mind often, especially the ending. I remember reading it on my lunch break at work and actually exclaiming out loud over it, making quite a commotion with all of the other readers at lunch when then went out and got their own copies. This one is well-worth the time to track down a copy of this book.
Robert
A meadnering book that doesn't go anywhere, but I didn't care, it kept me on the edge of my seat. Not his best idea for a book, but it was kind of a bohemian book. Goldman's On The Road.
Linda
My college roommate's mom's book club (seriously) was reading this book, so somehow it fell to me as well. Luckily, I was blown away by the writing, the story, the characters, everything. If you've ever fallen up stairs, you'll love this story about what can happen after.
Amish
This is one of the most unique book I have read till date.
The story is based around a life of a young writer and his best buddy. This is one book you do not want to miss. The book is just mind blowing keeping the reader at his toes till the very last sentence!!!!
Pedxing
One of my all time favorites. I think there ought to be modern fiction classes taught in high school, and I think this book ought to be required reading. Excellent.
Amy
definitely reads like a movie written from a guy's perspective. entertaining though.
Kim
this is a really great tale, memorable (can one forget 'the bone?' doubtful)
Gay
Excellent memorable book about a writer by the author of "Princess Bride."
Kim Blue
Picked this up for 50 cents at a used book sale. Opened it that afternoon and couldn't put it down. This is a brilliantly insightful story of a gifted young writer "Chub", who is struggling to achieve success as an author while battling with the demons of family addiction, disfunction and mental illness. The story begins with his life at Oberlin University in Ohio and follows him to New York as he strives towards commercial success. The story is punctuated with numerous flashbacks which provide ...more
Ray Ziemer
I was pleased to find this novel at a used book sale last year, as it's been years since I last read anything from one of my favorite authors. It's not exactly new, published in 1985, but I hadn't been aware of it. I enjoyed it a lot from the very beginning, possibly for the nostalgia value as much as for its own plot and characters. Colour of Light reminds me so much of the first William Goldman I read -- we're talking one of the first modern novels I had EVER read -- which my buddy Bruce Knopp ...more
Farhan
Another great read by the ever-dependable Goldman. This is the story of a budding writer who loses his muse due to a tragedy in life. Great character sketch of a young man who is always eager to please, haunted by a loveless childhood, and dogged by tragedies. My only quibble is that the protagonist seems to keep running into neurotic people throughout his life. But as I said, that's just a quibble and doesn't detract from the novel's powerful narrative. Goldman is a great storyteller.
Aaron Martz
This book falls apart in its final section, becoming disjointed and rambling (a problem that Goldman's thriller Heat also had), but up until then, it is a colorful, funny and often sad portrait of a writer who never figures out how to live his life. The ending of Part II is so sudden and powerful that it was a disappointment when Goldman all but ignored the pain and sorrow his lead character must have felt afterward. Instead, Goldman seems to start over with a whole new set of characters, and, a ...more
Wesley Morrison
Characters that are still fresh in my mind decades after first reading it. The best depiction ever of how writers twist and warp their own lives and experiences into their fiction. And a final line that's a model for how it should be done.
Alex Frederick
Overwhelming sadness -- the ending is horrible and pointless and sad and.

It wanders and it's good.
Margie Sokoloff
Rereading for the 100th time and still gets me in the gut...
Mb
One of my favorite novels ever.
On to the next.
Niki
A metafictional novel about William Goldman, who becomes a professional researcher for stories that resemble his own real books, then decides to write a story about his life in the end. Has some really good moments, but it's mostly just self-indulgent.
RChazzChute
My favorite novel of all time. The protagonist is a young writer and I read it when I was a young writer.
Mark
Unforgettable. One has to read between the lines to understand the horror that takes place within this book.
Dickydavis
One of the most emotionally devastating books I have ever read; almost unbearably sad, and real.
Mark
Fantastic book, read it far too long ago and really should revisit it!
Candice
I read this years ago and loved it. I laughed, I cried.
Rick Faby
This may be my favorite book of all time.
Jane
Are you kidding me? What an ending!
  • Mysterious America: The Ultimate Guide to the Nation's Weirdest Wonders, Strangest Spots, and Creepiest Creatures
  • The Wild Swans (Faerie Tale)
  • A Princess of Roumania (Princess of Roumania, #1)
  • Whitstable
  • This Book Needs No Title: A Budget of Living Paradoxes
  • 2nd Time Around (A B-Boy Blues Novel #2)
  • Heaven's Bones (Ravenloft, #21)
  • Aha! Insight
  • The Trouble with Humans
  • Steam Punk: Manimatron
  • Give it Up! and Other Short Stories
  • Søren Kierkegaard: A Biography
  • Are We Alone?: Philosophical Implications Of The Discovery Of Extraterrestrial Life
  • Age Of Bronze Volume 3A: Betrayal (Part One)
  • Courts of the Fey
  • Platoon
  • The Sense of Sight
  • House of M: Mutopia X (District-X: House of M)
Goldman grew up in a Jewish family in Highland Park, Illinois, a Chicago suburb, and obtained a BA degree at Oberlin College in 1952 and an MA degree at Columbia University in 1956.His brother was the late James Goldman, author and playwright.

William Goldman had published five novels and had three plays produced on Broadway before he began to write screenplays. Several of his novels he later used
More about William Goldman...
The Princess Bride Marathon Man Adventures in the Screen Trade Which Lie Did I Tell?: More Adventures in the Screen Trade The Silent Gondoliers

“In the kitchen, Chub clung to the wall, made no sound whatsoever, but his mouth opened and closed, opened and closed, as he told himself, kept telling himself, that life was material, everything was material - you just had to live long enough to see how to use it.” 4 likes