The Color of Light

The Color of Light

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  326 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A great story by a prolific author
Hardcover
Published March 1st 1984 by Warner Books (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Color of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Color of Light

I enjoyed this book, in spite of the fact that I slowly grew to despise the main character.
Chub Fuller is a talented young writer with his future ahead of him. He writes his first novel to critical and popular claim. But he manages to mess up almost everything else in his life. He make grievous errors, but he instead of feeling remorse, he wallows in self-pity. He can't come to terms with his horrible past, but does nothing to remedy it.
His character is portrayed very shallowly, but I can't dec...more
Armin Hennig
Dieses Künstlerschicksel ist eine gelungene Hommmage an Irwin Shaw und auf jeden Fall unvergleichlich viel besser als Tinsel, auch bei der überraschenden Schlusswendung.
Leider ist die Gestaltung der kreativen Krise ziemlich wurschtelig geraten, sonst wäre vielleicht sogar eine bessere Bewertung drin gewesen. Ausführliche Rezi eines schönen Tages, vielleicht.
Lea
I read this several times in the 80s and remember absolutely loving it. Even though I haven't read it in ages (and don't even know where my copy is now), the story and characters still stick with me. The ending, in particular, just blew me away. I'm anxious to read it again and see if it's as great as I remember.
Jami Ouellette
I read this book when it first came out in paperback, and reread again before I gave the book back to my sister. It was awesome! And it still comes to mind often, especially the ending. I remember reading it on my lunch break at work and actually exclaiming out loud over it, making quite a commotion with all of the other readers at lunch when then went out and got their own copies. This one is well-worth the time to track down a copy of this book.
Rowena
This is the coming-of-age story of Charles "Chub" Fuller, a brilliant writer with a wretched family past. As he moves from university in Ohio to NYC, he captures his life in several daring, ingenious stories that secure him a future in New York's grueling publishing world. However, in his struggles to ignore his own terrible past, he mires himself in a comfortable stasis, and finds himself unable to do what he once did best - write.

I was entranced by this book from page 1. This is the story of...more
Robert
A meadnering book that doesn't go anywhere, but I didn't care, it kept me on the edge of my seat. Not his best idea for a book, but it was kind of a bohemian book. Goldman's On The Road.
Linda
My college roommate's mom's book club (seriously) was reading this book, so somehow it fell to me as well. Luckily, I was blown away by the writing, the story, the characters, everything. If you've ever fallen up stairs, you'll love this story about what can happen after.
Amish
This is one of the most unique book I have read till date.
The story is based around a life of a young writer and his best buddy. This is one book you do not want to miss. The book is just mind blowing keeping the reader at his toes till the very last sentence!!!!
Pedxing
One of my all time favorites. I think there ought to be modern fiction classes taught in high school, and I think this book ought to be required reading. Excellent.
Amy
definitely reads like a movie written from a guy's perspective. entertaining though.
Kim
this is a really great tale, memorable (can one forget 'the bone?' doubtful)
Gay
Excellent memorable book about a writer by the author of "Princess Bride."
Kim Blue
Picked this up for 50 cents at a used book sale. Opened it that afternoon and couldn't put it down. This is a brilliantly insightful story of a gifted young writer "Chub", who is struggling to achieve success as an author while battling with the demons of family addiction, disfunction and mental illness. The story begins with his life at Oberlin University in Ohio and follows him to New York as he strives towards commercial success. The story is punctuated with numerous flashbacks which provide...more
Ray Ziemer
I was pleased to find this novel at a used book sale last year, as it's been years since I last read anything from one of my favorite authors. It's not exactly new, published in 1985, but I hadn't been aware of it. I enjoyed it a lot from the very beginning, possibly for the nostalgia value as much as for its own plot and characters. Colour of Light reminds me so much of the first William Goldman I read -- we're talking one of the first modern novels I had EVER read -- which my buddy Bruce Knopp...more
Aaron Martz
This book falls apart in its final section, becoming disjointed and rambling (a problem that Goldman's thriller Heat also had), but up until then, it is a colorful, funny and often sad portrait of a writer who never figures out how to live his life. The ending of Part II is so sudden and powerful that it was a disappointment when Goldman all but ignored the pain and sorrow his lead character must have felt afterward. Instead, Goldman seems to start over with a whole new set of characters, and, a...more
Alex Frederick
Overwhelming sadness -- the ending is horrible and pointless and sad and.

It wanders and it's good.
Niki
A metafictional novel about William Goldman, who becomes a professional researcher for stories that resemble his own real books, then decides to write a story about his life in the end. Has some really good moments, but it's mostly just self-indulgent.
RChazzChute
My favorite novel of all time. The protagonist is a young writer and I read it when I was a young writer.
Mark
Unforgettable. One has to read between the lines to understand the horror that takes place within this book.
Dickydavis
One of the most emotionally devastating books I have ever read; almost unbearably sad, and real.
Mark
Fantastic book, read it far too long ago and really should revisit it!
Candice
I read this years ago and loved it. I laughed, I cried.
Rick Faby
This may be my favorite book of all time.
Jane
Are you kidding me? What an ending!
Andrea
Andrea added it
Aug 16, 2014
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Charlie
Charlie marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
JJ Lehmann
JJ Lehmann marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
  • The Wild Swans (Faerie Tale)
  • A Princess of Roumania (Princess of Roumania, #1)
  • Grand Opening
  • Crimson Orgy
  • B-Boy Blues: A Seriously Sexy, Fiercely Funny, Black-on-Black Love Story
  • Hallucinations: or, The Ill-Fated Peregrinations of Fray Servando
  • Harlan's Race (Harlan's Story, #2)
  • Starting Over
  • The Immortal Iron Fist, Vol. 5: Escape from the Eighth City
  • The Signalman
  • McSweeney's #30
  • The Ultimate Egoist (Complete Stories of Theodore Sturgeon #1)
  • A Modern Mephistopheles
  • Agony/Ecstasy: 21 Stories of Agonizing Pleasure
  • A Certain Ambiguity: A Mathematical Novel
  • To Mock a Mockingbird and Other Logic Puzzles
  • Tlooth
  • Carolina Moon
Goldman grew up in a Jewish family in Highland Park, Illinois, a Chicago suburb, and obtained a BA degree at Oberlin College in 1952 and an MA degree at Columbia University in 1956.His brother was the late James Goldman, author and playwright.

William Goldman had published five novels and had three plays produced on Broadway before he began to write screenplays. Several of his novels he later used...more
More about William Goldman...
The Princess Bride Marathon Man Adventures in the Screen Trade Which Lie Did I Tell?: More Adventures in the Screen Trade The Silent Gondoliers

“In the kitchen, Chub clung to the wall, made no sound whatsoever, but his mouth opened and closed, opened and closed, as he told himself, kept telling himself, that life was material, everything was material - you just had to live long enough to see how to use it.” 4 likes