Start by marking “The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (Great Illustrated Classics)” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (Great Illustrated Classics)

The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (Great Illustrated Classics)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  802 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
In a specially adapted version by Malvina G. Vogel

SHIPWRECKED!

A violent storm at sea destroys Robinson Crusoe's ship. He alone survives and is cast ashore on a deserted island. In this great adventure story of survival and courage, Crusoe must summon all his strength and intelligence to survive and flourish against impossible odds. Here is an amazing tale of a young man wh
Published 2011 by Waldman Publishing Corp (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe

Damian
Feb 04, 2015 Damian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hey everybody, I'm back with another "Great Illustrated Classics" review. This time it's "Robinson Crusoe", and although I've been giving a lot of four to five star reviews I truly mean them, so don't worry about not getting an honest review. Now, I found this book by accident like I do most of my books but I loved it nonetheless. The book follows the story of a man shipwrecked on an island with no skills in surviving whatsoever with the acceptance of his strength and wits. As he makes a home an ...more
Benb
Sep 30, 2014 Benb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Adventures of Robison Crusoe By Daniel Defoe is a non fiction book. It is about a man that is stuck on an island. His ship was abandon and his crew died except for the ships dog. Then when he is all settled with a house some cancels come trying to eat a person. Robinson saves him and names him Friday. They become very good friends friday learns english . Then they build a canoe together and sail back to the main land.
Chase Musick
May 08, 2014 Chase Musick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took the setting of a classic island survival book in which one man soon builds a colony from nothing but what he found. Some of the troubles that he comes across is harsh weather, very boring days, and last but not least savages. I like this book a lot because it puts the reader back in time to see how its like to survive in the old days. You get to see how the he slowly develops the island into his own by becoming day by day more civil. There were some problems with it tho for one it ...more
Loraine
I have seen several movie versions of this book and it was nice to read the actual book. This was an adapted youth version so not sure how much was cut or if anything was changed. I would have selected the original version if I had realized this.
Leslie
Nov 18, 2015 Leslie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I guess reading this adaptation will inspire me to read the actual thing. I hope that:
1) Defoe's prose is better than Vogel's.
2) The way Defoe tells the story captures more of the inherent drama of being stranded on a desert island
3) Defoe's treatment of Friday is sufficiently more empathetic so that I can put aside my revisionist-historian revulsion with Crusoe's easy colonialism and racism. I know those were the times, but in Vogel's telling the relationship was starkly master-servant. Crusoe'
David Fhu
Oct 16, 2015 David Fhu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: younger kids
I would highly recommend young kids to read this book as it is a good classic survival fiction.

Being the only survivor from the shipwreck, Robin has to learn how to survive on his own from gathering food, and finding shelter. He finds himself searching several times at the broken down ship to search for supplies for the will to survive, eventually making th
Jeffrey Brannen
Feb 20, 2016 Jeffrey Brannen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Fun, well illustrated and with good pacing. Both my 5 yr old and 7 yr old sat enraptured by the story. We learned some new concepts: cannibalism and hanging. Curiously absent from the adaptation was Crusoe's conversion.

In general, lacking the fear, loneliness and personal doubts which this level of isolation would bring. Crusoe does fear death and panics several times, but overall, skims the surface of the original.

As my 7 yr old exclaimed as we finished, "That was the best book ever!" (Which
Andy_s (Soulja Boy)
Cole
May 12, 2013 Cole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

1. Robin Crusoe is a classic old tale of a man that sails the seas but then later is shipwrecked on a trading-slave expedition to West Africa. Being the only survivor from the shipwreck, Crusoe has to learn how to survive on his own from gathering food, and finding shelter. He finds himself searching several times at the broken down ship to search for supplies for the will to survive, eventually making the lonely island his home.
2. There is no movie or i havent seen it

3. I would highly recommend
Morgan Hengesbach
The adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Malvina G. Vogel

This book is about Robinson. He goes on a ship and his ship crashes and ended up on the deserted island alone. Robinson has to find out how to build a shelter and find food and water. He keeps a little pole and everyday he puts a tally in it to keep track of how many days he is on the island. One day he finds footprints and it turns out to be other people but there is something special about them. I absolutely loved this book. I recommend this b
Madison Hengesbach
The adventure of Robinson Crusoe
Malvina G. Vogel

Robinson Crusoe is on a boat and he some how ends up on this island that he thought was abandoned. So Robinson Crusoe builds a house and some weapons and well he was looking for food he finds foot prints that aren't his. So he follow the foot prints until he find people and they turn out to be..... I absolutely loved this book it was such a good book for me when I was little.
Brady Ross
Jan 10, 2016 Brady Ross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was written by Daniel Defoe. I would give it five stars, and would recommend this book to anybody who likes adventure and history. I also learned that you need to have courage in the times you need it the most. You also need to make friends that like what you do and things that to help you if you need help.
Kyle Hengesbach
This novel is a classic that many other books have their ideas based around. In Robinson Crusoe, a man is washed ashore on an island after a storm destroys his boat. He survives there for over 20 years but the things he does to survive are unimaginable. Daniel Defoe's signature book is a good one.
Evan Thelen
Sep 14, 2015 Evan Thelen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe", a book by, Great Illustrated Classics, is a very exciting book. It caught my attention right at the beginning. It is a great story of survival . I would recommend it to anyone who likes reading about shipwrecks and adventures.
Alex Blackburn
Oct 14, 2015 Alex Blackburn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is fast paced but very exciting as well. Robinson Crusoe faces many challenges in order to survive on an island and gains some companions along the way. It is a fun and easy read that I think would be perfect for reading on a rainy day.
Bob Conner
Mar 23, 2015 Bob Conner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
I loved this as a kid and still love it. Who wouldn't want to take their place on a deserted island, live in a tree house, explore the beaches and hunt for food? An incredibly enthralling adventure.
Keith Schafer
Robinson Crusoe survives his boat being destroyed in a storm and survives on a deserted island by himself. This is an adventurous book about a strong man who can survive the unimaginable.
Dana Burkey
Mar 04, 2014 Dana Burkey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great adventure, mixed with quite a bit of 17th century racism and ignorance. It was part Cast Away, and part Pirates of the Caribbean. A good read overall.
Cameron
Robinson Crusoe is stranded on an island after a storm shipwrecked him. This book displays the survival of Robinson when he is all alone stranded on an island.
Diana H.
Nov 15, 2013 Diana H. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Having read this book many years ago, reading the illustrated classics edition brought back many of the reasons why I liked this so much the first time around. Not only is this book an adventurous tale, it also shows what a determined person can do all by him/her self.

This is a wonderful edition to read to young children or to let your young readers read by themselves. For older readers, the original tale would definitely be the better option as much greater detail and descriptions are found in
Kent
Dec 24, 2014 Kent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love it! I envy Robinson's critical thinking of survival in an island. It's not easy to survive alone but he is great!
Clay Cordell
Nov 10, 2011 Clay Cordell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When he discovers the cannibals, he realizes a pattern of them occasionally coming over to the island to eat prisoners. At first he comes to the conclusion that he is just going to kill them. After thinking it through, he realizes that they do not actually know that they are committing a crime. If one of the prisoners ever escapes the cannibals, Crusoe takes him in and teaches him how to read and write, and then makes him a christian. Crusoe sees an English ship that has been taken over. He mak ...more
Bryan Reyes
Nov 26, 2014 Bryan Reyes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've just read an abridged version of this book but I already enjoyed it. How much more when I've read the actual novel? Even though it's an abridged version, it was able to deliver the suspense and thrills the actual novel could offer. I felt the adrenaline of Robinson Crusoe and made me want more. In fact, this book marked my love for adventure series (be it a book or in movies or television).

I will read the unabridged version of this novel and I'll prepare myself to more action, adrenaline an
Maggie
Jan 01, 2016 Maggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good book, I thought it was a really good, well written children's book.
Khedhar
Jan 28, 2014 Khedhar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A violent storm at sea destroys Robinson Crusoe's ship.
He alone tries survives and is cast ashore on a deserted island.
In this great adventure story of survival and intelligence to survive
and flourish against impossible odds. Here is an amazing tale of a
young man who overcomes loneliness, tames wild animals, battles
ferocious cannibals and dangerous mutineers in a twenty-four year
struggle to stay alive.

I really enjoyed this book because its just so interesting and the story line about
a man w
Marie
Apr 17, 2014 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
one of the best novels out there in the Survival genre!
Maureen
May 30, 2014 Maureen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
read with my 3rd grade daughter :) we both enjoyed reading it every night and wondering what Robinson would do next and if and how he would try to get off the island
Mar 17, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a really good book, but not my favorite.
Drake TAG
DavidO
Sep 28, 2013 DavidO rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As predicted, I read the "great Illustrated" version of this. I'm glad I did, as there really isn't much here after he learns to survive on the island. That is, he fights cannibals and mutineers, but that really isn't all the interesting to me except to see how biased English thinking was at the time against sailors and American Indians.
  • The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Prince and the Pauper (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Last of the Mohicans (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • A Tale of Two Cities
  • A Journey to the Center of the Earth (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Jungle Book (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Call of the Wild (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table
  • Little Women (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • King Solomon's Mines