Start by marking “Extreme Cuisine: The Weird Wonderful Foods that People Eat” as Want to Read:
Extreme Cuisine: The Weird  Wonderful Foods that People Eat

Extreme Cuisine: The Weird Wonderful Foods that People Eat

"I could not have written A Cook's Tour without this book. There is so much I would have missed. So dig in. Enjoy […] Eat. Eat adventurously. Miss nothing. It's all here in these pages." —From the Introduction by Anthony Bourdain

Sit down for a meal with the locals on six continents and what they eat may surprise you. Extreme Cuisine examines eating habits across the global
Published May 15th 2004 by Periplus Editions (HK) ltd. (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Extreme Cuisine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extreme Cuisine

Audrey
Dec 05, 2010 Audrey rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, food
If you watch Bizarre Foods or No Reservations, some of this food may not be very new to you. Extreme Cuisine is basically an overview of all sorts of things people eat around the world. The book is divided into different sections - Mammals; Reptiles & Water Creatures; Birds; Insects, Spiders, and Scorpions; Plants; and Leftovers (which includes Blood, Fermented Food, Roadkill, and Excrement). There are also recipes within, if you are inclined to make earthworm patties, camel hoof paste, curr ...more
Kate
May 05, 2016 Kate rated it liked it
The book is incredibly interesting, but long and a bit redundant. I felt that I was more interested when I first began reading it and as time went on it began to wear on me. There are a lot of interesting stories in the book, but it just seems to get a little stale after a while. It is also heavily skewed toward strange Asian food practices (though to be fair to Hopkins he tells you that from the beginning.) The Kindle version of this book also has several spelling and grammar mistakes. I'm not ...more
Diana
Jul 22, 2012 Diana rated it it was ok
An exploration of the unusual things eaten around the world, along with recipes for most of them.

I loved the topic of this book, but I did find myself struggling to read this. There's a lot of sentence fragments, run on sentences, and grammatical mistakes that were hard to overlook. Towards the last third of the book, I found myself skimming through. He takes a lot of detours and sometimes rambles, which makes it hard to sustain interest.
Indah Threez Lestari
Mar 27, 2014 Indah Threez Lestari rated it really liked it
342 - 2014

Versi paperback dan sedikit lebih banyak yang dibahas dari buku meja kopi Jerry Hopkins yang sebelumnya kubaca, Strange Food.

Tambahan bahan makanan yang baru di sini antara lain beruang, unta, otak, kecoak (yikes!), dan roadkill. Mungkin ada hal baru yang terlewat, tapi sudahlah.

Aku lebih suka versi meja kopi, yang selain hardcover juga foto-fotonya langsung disajikan bersamaan dengan bahan makanan yang dibahas, sehingga lebih enak untuk dibaca.

Oh ya, di versi ini, resep makanannya jug
Chiquita Hindarto
Aug 02, 2007 Chiquita Hindarto rated it liked it
Shelves: culinary
Buku ini menceritakan tentang makanan-makanan yang tidak lazim dimakan, misalnya ragout dari daging kucing, tikus goreng kering dan lain sebagainya.

Sebenarnya bisa jadi buku yang asik buat dibaca, apalagi untuk orang-orang yang tertarik dengan dunia kuliner. Sayangnya gaya bahasanya terlalu kaku dan juga layout buku ini mengingatkan saya sama textbook yang saya pakai jaman kuliah dulu.

Kalau saya layoutnya lebih menarik dan bahasanya lebih santai, mungkin saya akan kasih 5 bintang untuk buku ini.
Terri
Jun 01, 2007 Terri rated it liked it
Very detailed and well-researched book about all kinds of food considered "extreme" from around the world. The first section starts of tame enough with Mammals, and then delves deeper into foods using Reptiles & Water Creatures; Birds; Insects, Spiders & Scorpions; Plants, and "Leftovers' (which includes blood, dirt, fake food, gold, and other things left unmentioned). Most intriguing is each section ends with an actual recipe. How about some Rootworm Beetle Dip for your next party?
Chris Herdt
Jan 07, 2008 Chris Herdt rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book a great deal, but really wish that it had gone into more detail about some of the strange and exotic foodstuffs that were mentioned. I guess that's what you get when a rock'n'roll journalist covers food: a broad overview of curious consumables. It's still worth it, though, before delving a little deeper into any of the specific dishes.
Paul T
Sep 10, 2007 Paul T rated it liked it
Indians drink their own urine. I'm glad that he got that one down for posterity. The book's main thesis was that people eat weird and wonderful foods. I'm pretty sure there's a somewhat racist subtext. If I were smarter, had more time, and was less white, I'd be a tad irritated.
Meitha
Apr 10, 2009 Meitha rated it really liked it
Extreme Cuisine..
How extreme you are???
Eating monkey? or, baby's pig? or..
This book helps me to "experience" the food without testing them..
Ilker Yazar
May 24, 2014 Ilker Yazar rated it it was amazing
My favourite book of all time
Feka Angge Pramita
Aug 28, 2007 Feka Angge Pramita rated it it was amazing
talked about anykind that can eat. grasshopper, bugs, spider, antz..... i`ve ate grasshopper.... mak nyuss... and crispy ...more
Lea Zane
Lea Zane rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2014
dawna
dawna rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2011
Robyn
Robyn rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2011
Ht
Ht rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2012
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was ok
Feb 13, 2009
Josh
Josh rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2008
Aaron
Aaron rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2009
Jonny
Jonny rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2017
James
James rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2007
Don
Don rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2014
Kenta
Kenta rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2015
Nicko
Nicko rated it did not like it
Feb 26, 2008
Olivialai
Olivialai rated it it was ok
Apr 06, 2011
Monica
Monica rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2011
Jenz Corner
Jenz Corner rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2007
Old_sox
Old_sox rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2011