Start by marking “Extreme Cuisine: The Weird & Wonderful Foods that People Eat” as Want to Read:
Extreme Cuisine: The Weird & Wonderful Foods that People Eat

Extreme Cuisine: The Weird & Wonderful Foods that People Eat

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  11 reviews
"I could not have written A Cook's Tour without this book. There is so much I would have missed. So dig in. Enjoy […] Eat. Eat adventurously. Miss nothing. It's all here in these pages."—From the Introduction by Anthony Bourdain

Sit down for a meal with the locals on six continents and what they eat may surprise you. Extreme Cuisine examines eating habits across the global
Published May 15th 2004 by Periplus Editions (HK) ltd. (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Extreme Cuisine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extreme Cuisine

If you watch Bizarre Foods or No Reservations, some of this food may not be very new to you. Extreme Cuisine is basically an overview of all sorts of things people eat around the world. The book is divided into different sections - Mammals; Reptiles & Water Creatures; Birds; Insects, Spiders, and Scorpions; Plants; and Leftovers (which includes Blood, Fermented Food, Roadkill, and Excrement). There are also recipes within, if you are inclined to make earthworm patties, camel hoof paste, curr ...more
An exploration of the unusual things eaten around the world, along with recipes for most of them.

I loved the topic of this book, but I did find myself struggling to read this. There's a lot of sentence fragments, run on sentences, and grammatical mistakes that were hard to overlook. Towards the last third of the book, I found myself skimming through. He takes a lot of detours and sometimes rambles, which makes it hard to sustain interest.
Indah Threez Lestari
342 - 2014

Versi paperback dan sedikit lebih banyak yang dibahas dari buku meja kopi Jerry Hopkins yang sebelumnya kubaca, Strange Food.

Tambahan bahan makanan yang baru di sini antara lain beruang, unta, otak, kecoak (yikes!), dan roadkill. Mungkin ada hal baru yang terlewat, tapi sudahlah.

Aku lebih suka versi meja kopi, yang selain hardcover juga foto-fotonya langsung disajikan bersamaan dengan bahan makanan yang dibahas, sehingga lebih enak untuk dibaca.

Oh ya, di versi ini, resep makanannya jug
Ilker Yazar
My favourite book of all time
Chiquita Hindarto
Buku ini menceritakan tentang makanan-makanan yang tidak lazim dimakan, misalnya ragout dari daging kucing, tikus goreng kering dan lain sebagainya.

Sebenarnya bisa jadi buku yang asik buat dibaca, apalagi untuk orang-orang yang tertarik dengan dunia kuliner. Sayangnya gaya bahasanya terlalu kaku dan juga layout buku ini mengingatkan saya sama textbook yang saya pakai jaman kuliah dulu.

Kalau saya layoutnya lebih menarik dan bahasanya lebih santai, mungkin saya akan kasih 5 bintang untuk buku ini.
Very detailed and well-researched book about all kinds of food considered "extreme" from around the world. The first section starts of tame enough with Mammals, and then delves deeper into foods using Reptiles & Water Creatures; Birds; Insects, Spiders & Scorpions; Plants, and "Leftovers' (which includes blood, dirt, fake food, gold, and other things left unmentioned). Most intriguing is each section ends with an actual recipe. How about some Rootworm Beetle Dip for your next party?
Chris Herdt
I enjoyed this book a great deal, but really wish that it had gone into more detail about some of the strange and exotic foodstuffs that were mentioned. I guess that's what you get when a rock'n'roll journalist covers food: a broad overview of curious consumables. It's still worth it, though, before delving a little deeper into any of the specific dishes.
Paul T
Indians drink their own urine. I'm glad that he got that one down for posterity. The book's main thesis was that people eat weird and wonderful foods. I'm pretty sure there's a somewhat racist subtext. If I were smarter, had more time, and was less white, I'd be a tad irritated.
Extreme Cuisine..
How extreme you are???
Eating monkey? or, baby's pig? or..
This book helps me to "experience" the food without testing them..
Feka Angge Pramita
talked about anykind that can eat. grasshopper, bugs, spider, antz..... i`ve ate grasshopper.... mak nyuss... and crispy ...more
One of the more comprehensive "odd foods" books I've run across over the years. Fairly enjoyable.
Susan Johnston
Susan Johnston marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Katie marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Andy marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Cat marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Gia Marie
Gia Marie marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Mari marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Le Minh
Le Minh marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Faith Moore
Faith Moore marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Miodrag marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Shilo marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Maryanne marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014