Start by marking “LIFE One Nation: America Remembers September 11, 2001, 10 Years Later” as Want to Read:
LIFE One Nation: America Remembers September 11, 2001, 10 Years Later

LIFE One Nation: America Remembers September 11, 2001, 10 Years Later

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  21 reviews
In this expanded tenth-anniversary edition of the No. 1 New York Times bestselling book, LIFE returns to the story that it chronicled with such immediacy following the devastating, heartbreaking, and inspiring events in New York, Washington, D.C. and Pennsylvania. These pages bear witness to the horrific losses of 9/11 but also celebrate the inspirational bravery of those ...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Little, Brown and Company (first published October 22nd 1951)

To ask other readers questions about LIFE One Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about LIFE One Nation

Kimberly
Dec 26, 2011 Kimberly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
I have the book LIFE One Nation: America Remembers September 11, 2001 that was published 10 years ago, and I was so moved and touched by the section "Faces of Ground Zero" that I just had to get this edition where they caught up with some of the same people 10 years later.

After reading this edition with "Faces of Ground Zero 2011" I was happy to see some of those faces with less shock, pain and sadness in their eyes. Though these people are still sad over the loss they experienced it's good to
Kimberly
Sep 11, 2011 Kimberly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I bought this book when it came out in 2001 and though I looked at the pictures at the time I never read the words. Now 10 years later to the day and I decided to read the book cover to cover. While reading it I couldn't help but notice the first edition of this book (the one I have) lists the dead at at least 5,000. It reminds me that even three months after the attack the true number of those lost was still not known for sure.

This book is a moving tribute and reminder to the events of 9/11. Ev
Elijah
One Nation by LIFE Magazine is a book about the events of 9/11, 2001. It tells the stories of many different people through pictures and words. It is very interesting, because it shows how little people actually knew about the attacks when this book was published in 2001. One of the facts stated was that about 5000 people died in the attacks. Later information put the estimates around 2700. The book not only tells about the attacks in New York, but also of the ones in Pennsylvania and Washington ...more
Rose
Mayor Giuliani: "Less than two hours later, both 110-story Twin Towers collapsed, killing some 5,000 innocent men, women, and children."

We now know that approx 2600 people died at the WTC, not counting those on the impact planes.

Of those:

~ 100-200 people fell or jumped before the collapses

~ 300 people died on the ground from being struck by debris or falling bodies before the collapses

Probably several hundred died prior to the collapse from the plane impacts, fire, or smoke inhalation, although
David Ward
One Nation: America Remembers September 11, 2001 by Life Magazine (Little, Brown & Co. 2001) (973.931). This is a commemorative collection of photos documenting the most deadly terrorist attack ever perpetrated on U.S. soil and the heroic response of the people of the city of New York. This celebrates the triumph of the human spirit. I found this pristine hardback copy in the free bin at the local used book store. My rating: 7/10, finished 4/30/15.
Joe
This book while hard at times to read is an exceptional book. The book published by LIFE is a great book to read and to read about the history of not only the events that led up to 9/11 but also the attacks itself.
Jessica
I do also own the original edition of this book, but for some reason, never added it to my Goodreads.

Ten years have done little to diminish the devastation of that clear fall day. I was in college and mistook the news for a movie trailer. This book is beautifully done; it does not shy away from the sadness and horror of September 11 but does not glorify it either. Hope winds its way through the text and pictures also.

My only quibble is with the very end of the book. I thought President Obama's
Nathan  Stelzner
The book “One Nation Remembers September 11, 2001” by Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani is great book about what happened to many people in New York City on September 11, 2001. It is very sad to read about all the stories of what people went through on that day. The pictures tell a whole other story. When I saw a picture of firefighters running into the building and knowing what could happen. I couldn’t help but think of how hard that had to be. I would recommend this book to high school student. It mak ...more
Stefani
I LOVED this book - it is exactly what I wanted to have available in my classroom while teaching a unit centering on 9/11. The pictures are painful but stunning reminders of the attacks and show the full experience of those around ground zero. Honestly, I bought this book because I knew the images would be what I needed but the essays ended up being what really made me fall in love with it. I have sticky note flags all over the pages of images, quotes, and essays that I want to share with my stu ...more
Julie
As hard as it is to read about about this subject, this book did a great job in providing facts about the tragedy in a way that was respectful. The way the book was laid out and how the information was delivered made it actually somewhat "pleasant" to read. This is important history, and I feel that it was presented in the best way possible given the subject matter.
Cindy Davis
This book was healing in a way for me. As everyone did, I took Sept.11th really hard, but especially because I had visited the World Trade Center, and got to tour it and go to the roof while I was in NYC. It celebrates our resiliency as a country. A great memoir.
Sandy
This is such a sad book about the Sept. 11, 2001 bombings. The photos are amazing; it's hard to imagine someone had the presence of mind to take photos while the chaos was happening around them. This book is truly one that everyone should read.
Amy
A fabulous addition to the literature about 9/11, this book goes a step beyond and updates the reader on the lives of the survivors that were first mentioned 10 years ago.
Paul
Dec 24, 2007 Paul rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: picture lovers, rememberance
Outstanding photos...some not seen before. Something you want to keep around for children, grandchildren and other people who should not forget this event.
Linda Appelbaum
Good book about one of our saddest days. Still stunning and horrific, after all these years.
Carrie
Thank you to the 343 New York City firefighters. God Bless America!
Becky
I picked this up on a whim. May we never forget!
Ronda  Tutt
I will never forget 9/11/2001
Amber
Perfect coffee table book.
Cws
Aug 19, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: xos
XOS-973.9L
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Steve Parcell
Steve Parcell marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Graci S.
Graci S. marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Ann-Marie
Ann-Marie marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
  • What We Saw: The Events of September 11, 2001--In Words, Pictures, and Video
  • Report from Ground Zero
  • The Children's House of Belsen
  • On Top of the World: Cantor Fitzgerald, Howard Lutnick, and 9/11: A Story of Loss and Renewal
  • Among the Heroes
  • House Beautiful Decorating with Books: Use Your Library to Enhance Your Decor
  • The Fall of Yugoslavia: The Third Balkan War
  • Non-Adhesive Binding: Books Without Paste or Glue
  • Unexplained Mysteries of World War II
  • Fortytude : making the next decades the best years of your life-- through the 40s, 50s, and beyond
100 Photographs That Changed the World The Great Life Photographers The American Journey of Barack Obama The Royal Wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton: Commemorative Edition with Pictures from the Ceremony Life Commemorative: Michael Jackson