Start by marking “Saggi letterari ” as Want to Read:
Saggi letterari

Saggi letterari

This collection of essays, edited by Pound's friend and fellow poet T.S. Eliot, contains essays from five earlier volumes: Pavannes and Divisions (1918), Instigations(1920), How to Read(1931), Make it New(1934), and Polite Essays(1937). The thirty-three essays contained in this collection are separated into three categories: The Art of Poetry, The Tradition, and Contempora ...more
Published 1973 by Garzanti (first published January 1st 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Saggi letterari, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saggi letterari

Josh
Feb 08, 2008 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pound. The bottom line for me is that his poetry is great as an idea, while his prose is great as an experience - that is, actually great. The essays in this book and elsewhere (the letters too) are so entertaining: a cross between Mark Twain, H.L. Mencken, Flaubert, maybe the Goncourt brothers. Pound's acidity is aggravating at times, but this is part of the fun and anyway maybe we need to be aggravated (he always ends up paying us for it anyway). In the end, he continues a tradition of America ...more
Mitch
Jul 27, 2007 Mitch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of fun. The essay, "How To Read" is one of the very best literary essays ever written by an American poet. Way beyond the ABC's of reading, this essay simply rocks. Worth the whole book (though there is a lot of good stuff in this book). Try it.
Gabriel
Mar 28, 2008 Gabriel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have only read the first section of this: "The Art of Poetry," but wish I had come upon it sooner. In particular, the two essays, "The Serious Artist," and "How to Read," are absolutely excellent.
Martin Michalek
Feb 13, 2017 Martin Michalek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eliot has trifurcated Pound's essays conveniently: (1) The Art of Poetry, (2) The Tradition, and (3) Contemporaries. Included in the back is a profitable index with authors, works, poetic devices (such as 'assonance'), and subjects (such as 'American fiction, the mediocrity of').
Pound's first three essays alone — 'A Retrospect' (1918), 'How to Read' (1929), and 'The Serious Artist' (1913) — demonstrate why he is one of the 20th century's greatest critics. These essays are invaluable not only be
Wes Zickau
Apr 23, 2014 Wes Zickau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It is not necessary to read the whole book. In fact, I discourage reading much of his criticism (Parts 2 and 3) unless one reads the criticized first, with some exceptions. Even if you haven't read Dante, Homer (translated), or the troubadours, I recommend reading these sections. However, having yet to read Cavalcanti, Villon, Rimbaud, and a host of others that he addresses or references, I read selectively.

I recommend reading all of Part 1. Although his essay "A Retrospect" receives much atten
Margaret1358 Joyce
Okay, I didn't finish this bk, but as I've already returned it to the library, I should chalk it up here and say a few words. It's an exceptional book, but a lot of it pertaining to authors I either haven't read or whose work is too closely studied for my level of interest. There is one chapter, about the general practice or writing,however,that I loved for its sparkling prose and clever comments.
Michael Volpi
Dec 20, 2013 Michael Volpi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Experiencing this book has been an education, for which I am immensely grateful. My fascination and curiosity of Pound have increased markedly; I feel as if I can finally 'dig in' and appreciate this man's enigmatic works, instead of remaining intimidated to the point of repulsion.
Sally
Mar 15, 2008 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pound's thoughts about the nature of reading, the beauty of life, the importance of scholars and artists to the well being of a society make me completely woozy.
Stuart Cooke
Some of the essays on writing are fantastic, but how Pound's 'book reviews' pass for literary criticism is beyond me.
Paola
fra le altre meraviglie di questo libro, un paragrafo intitolato
_traduttori dal greco: primi traduttori di omero_
Bünyamin Kasap
Bünyamin Kasap rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Mallory Hebert
Mallory Hebert rated it liked it
May 25, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2007
Melanie
Melanie rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2009
Parke
Parke rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2012
Alexander Curran
Alexander Curran rated it it was ok
Dec 10, 2012
Victoria Clara
Victoria Clara rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2013
AJ Hannigan
AJ Hannigan rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
Ehk
Ehk rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2015
Sheikh Tajamul
Sheikh Tajamul rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2012
Travis
Travis rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2009
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2008
Mark Mendoza
Mark Mendoza rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Mohsenfahmy Moussa
Mohsenfahmy Moussa rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2013
Amany555
Amany555 rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2014
Jake Adam
Jake Adam rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2007
Daniel Nichols
Daniel Nichols rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2008
John O
John O rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2014
  • The Pound Era
  • The Necessary Angel: Essays on Reality and the Imagination
  • In the American Grain (New Directions Paperback No. 53)
  • The Art of Poetry
  • Fiction and the Figures of Life
  • The Theory of the Novel
  • The Time of the Assassins:  a Study of Rimbaud
  • The Poetics of Prose
Ezra Weston Loomis Pound was an American expatriate poet, critic and intellectual who was a major figure of the Modernist movement in early-to-mid 20th century poetry.

Pound's The Cantos contains music and bears a title that could be translated as The Songs—although it never is. Pound's ear was tuned to the motz et sons of troubadour poetry where, as musicologist John Stevens has noted, "melody and
More about Ezra Pound...