Start by marking “Saggi letterari ” as Want to Read:
Saggi letterari

Saggi letterari

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  266 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This collection of essays, edited by Pound's friend and fellow poet T.S. Eliot, contains essays from five earlier volumes: Pavannes and Divisions (1918), Instigations(1920), How to Read(1931), Make it New(1934), and Polite Essays(1937). The thirty-three essays contained in this collection are separated into three categories: The Art of Poetry, The Tradition, and Contempora...more
Published 1973 by Garzanti (first published January 1st 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Saggi letterari, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saggi letterari

Josh
Pound. The bottom line for me is that his poetry is great as an idea, while his prose is great as an experience - that is, actually great. The essays in this book and elsewhere (the letters too) are so entertaining: a cross between Mark Twain, H.L. Mencken, Flaubert, maybe the Goncourt brothers. Pound's acidity is aggravating at times, but this is part of the fun and anyway maybe we need to be aggravated (he always ends up paying us for it anyway). In the end, he continues a tradition of America...more
Gabriel
I have only read the first section of this: "The Art of Poetry," but wish I had come upon it sooner. In particular, the two essays, "The Serious Artist," and "How to Read," are absolutely excellent.
Wes Zickau
It is not necessary to read the whole book. In fact, I discourage reading much of his criticism (Parts 2 and 3) unless one reads the criticized first, with some exceptions. Even if you haven't read Dante, Homer (translated), or the troubadours, I recommend reading these sections. However, having yet to read Cavalcanti, Villon, Rimbaud, and a host of others that he addresses or references, I read selectively.

I recommend reading all of Part 1. Although his essay "A Retrospect" receives much atten...more
Margaret1358 Joyce
Okay, I didn't finish this bk, but as I've already returned it to the library, I should chalk it up here and say a few words. It's an exceptional book, but a lot of it pertaining to authors I either haven't read or whose work is too closely studied for my level of interest. There is one chapter, about the general practice or writing,however,that I loved for its sparkling prose and clever comments.
Michael Volpi
Experiencing this book has been an education, for which I am immensely grateful. My fascination and curiosity of Pound have increased markedly; I feel as if I can finally 'dig in' and appreciate this man's enigmatic works, instead of remaining intimidated to the point of repulsion.
Mitch
Lots of fun. The essay, "How To Read" is one of the very best literary essays ever written by an American poet. Way beyond the ABC's of reading, this essay simply rocks. Worth the whole book (though there is a lot of good stuff in this book). Try it.
Sally
Pound's thoughts about the nature of reading, the beauty of life, the importance of scholars and artists to the well being of a society make me completely woozy.
Paola
fra le altre meraviglie di questo libro, un paragrafo intitolato
_traduttori dal greco: primi traduttori di omero_
Stuart Cooke
Some of the essays on writing are fantastic, but how Pound's 'book reviews' pass for literary criticism is beyond me.
Ere
Ere added it
Sep 26, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Lily Patchett
Lily Patchett marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Bennard
Bennard marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Victor Cosby
Victor Cosby marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Jessica Harvey
Jessica Harvey marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Igor Flysta
Igor Flysta marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Ian
Ian marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Mario
Mario added it
Aug 28, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
alba
alba marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
M. Dirgantara
M. Dirgantara marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Paula Ivan
Paula Ivan marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
N Insley
N Insley marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
  • The Pound Era
  • The Necessary Angel: Essays on Reality and the Imagination
  • Axel's Castle: A Study of the Imaginative Literature of 1870-1930
  • In the American Grain (New Directions Paperback No. 53)
  • The Dyer's Hand
  • The Collected Poems, 1945-1975
  • Poetic Meter and Poetic Form
  • Where the Stress Falls: Essays
  • Studies in Classic American Literature
Ezra Weston Loomis Pound was an American expatriate poet, critic and intellectual who was a major figure of the Modernist movement in early-to-mid 20th century poetry.

Pound's The Cantos contains music and bears a title that could be translated as The Songs—although it never is. Pound's ear was tuned to the motz et sons of troubadour poetry where, as musicologist John Stevens has noted, "melody and...more
More about Ezra Pound...
Selected Poems The Cantos ABC of Reading Personæ: The Shorter Poems The Pisan Cantos