Saggi letterari

Saggi letterari

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  240 ratings  ·  6 reviews
This collection of essays, edited by Pound's friend and fellow poet T.S. Eliot, contains essays from five earlier volumes: Pavannes and Divisions (1918), Instigations(1920), How to Read(1931), Make it New(1934), and Polite Essays(1937). The thirty-three essays contained in this collection are separated into three categories: The Art of Poetry, The Tradition, and Contempora...more
Published 1973 by Garzanti (first published January 1st 1954)

Josh
Pound. The bottom line for me is that his poetry is great as an idea, while his prose is great as an experience - that is, actually great. The essays in this book and elsewhere (the letters too) are so entertaining: a cross between Mark Twain, H.L. Mencken, Flaubert, maybe the Goncourt brothers. Pound's acidity is aggravating at times, but this is part of the fun and anyway maybe we need to be aggravated (he always ends up paying us for it anyway). In the end, he continues a tradition of America...more
Gabriel
I have only read the first section of this: "The Art of Poetry," but wish I had come upon it sooner. In particular, the two essays, "The Serious Artist," and "How to Read," are absolutely excellent.
Michael Volpi
Experiencing this book has been an education, for which I am immensely grateful. My fascination and curiosity of Pound have increased markedly; I feel as if I can finally 'dig in' and appreciate this man's enigmatic works, instead of remaining intimidated to the point of repulsion.
Mitch
Lots of fun. The essay, "How To Read" is one of the very best literary essays ever written by an American poet. Way beyond the ABC's of reading, this essay simply rocks. Worth the whole book (though there is a lot of good stuff in this book). Try it.
Sally
Pound's thoughts about the nature of reading, the beauty of life, the importance of scholars and artists to the well being of a society make me completely woozy.
Paola
fra le altre meraviglie di questo libro, un paragrafo intitolato
_traduttori dal greco: primi traduttori di omero_
Stuart Cooke
Some of the essays on writing are fantastic, but how Pound's 'book reviews' pass for literary criticism is beyond me.
Cloud
Cloud marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Mert Civan
Mert Civan marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Dmshepherd
Dmshepherd marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Ian Wold
Ian Wold marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Rick Smith
Rick Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Rola Toufiq
Rola Toufiq marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Christopher Maxwell
Christopher Maxwell marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Felipe Anselmo
Felipe Anselmo marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Annabel
Annabel marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Steppenfreak
Steppenfreak marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Vienna
Vienna marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Shoaib Akhtar
Shoaib Akhtar marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Chris Langille
Chris Langille marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
  • The Pound Era
  • The Necessary Angel: Essays on Reality and the Imagination
  • The Dyer's Hand
  • In the American Grain (New Directions Paperback No. 53)
  • Axel's Castle: A Study of the Imaginative Literature of 1870-1930
  • The Theory of the Novel
  • The Geography of the Imagination: Forty Essays (Nonpareil Book, 78)
  • Less Than One: Selected Essays
  • Studies in Classic American Literature
  • The Collected Poems, 1945-1975
  • The Country and the City
  • The Mirror and the Lamp: Romantic Theory and the Critical Tradition
Ezra Weston Loomis Pound was an American expatriate poet, critic and intellectual who was a major figure of the Modernist movement in early-to-mid 20th century poetry.

Pound's The Cantos contains music and bears a title that could be translated as The Songs—although it never is. Pound's ear was tuned to the motz et sons of troubadour poetry where, as musicologist John Stevens has noted, "melody and...more
More about Ezra Pound...
Selected Poems The Cantos ABC of Reading Personæ: The Shorter Poems The Pisan Cantos