Rachel's Eyes: a Short Story

Rachel's Eyes: a Short Story

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  23 reviews
SHORT STORY (6,000 words, 22 pages). Rachel's Eyes features characters from the author's western historical romance novel, Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold. Rachel Miles Ross has shunned her former best friend, Anne Wells Bennett, since the day of Anne's marriage to half-breed Cord Bennett. Yet when Rachel's life crumbles around her, she turns to Anne for help. Anne can give s...more
Published 2011 by Amazon

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

If you've read Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold you know that Rachel Miles Ross was Anne's best friend, but when Anne married Cord, Rachel stopped coming around. In Rachel's Eyes we learn the truth about why she stayed away, and we get some insight into the abusive life that was her marriage.

This is a sweet, funny story, and I'm glad the author felt Rachel and Anne's friendship was deserving of a best friends happily ever after, too. But I'm especially glad for the chance we had to revisit Cord, Fr...more
Maldivianbookreviewer
May 13, 2011 Maldivianbookreviewer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold by Ellen O'Connell
Recommended to Maldivianbookreviewer by: Jill
Rachel's Eyes is a short story that continues from one of the most wonderful historical romances that I have read to-date i.e. Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold by Ellen O'Connell. I loved the story that unfolded between half-breed Cord Bennett and Anne Wells amidst the violence and prejudices that life was back then so much that I have pimped it out on several occasions when fellow book lovers like me ask for book recommendations from the American-Western romance genre.

I was delighted when my frien...more
Jill
A short but satisfying look at the continuing story of Cord and Anne Bennett (and family).
KatLynne
Jul 15, 2011 KatLynne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Free from author's website
Recommended to KatLynne by: 22 pages..Follows Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold
Short story - 22 pages that follows Eyes of Silver...Free from author's webpage.
Duchess Nicole
This is a really quick story that resolves one issue in Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold. While it doesn’t neatly tie up all of the loose ends (like the spineless Reverend Pratt), it does give a little insight into Annie's friend Rachel and why she let the friendship go so easily.

We also get to find out the sex of the baby, which was one thing that I was disappointed in about the end of the book. Oh, and we get some tenderness from Cord, both for Annie and their child. And if you've read the book, y...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars ; A-

This short story was a great idea on the part of the author to let her readers 'peek in' on the characters from Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold by Ellen O'Connell.

In the original story, one of Anne's friends, Rachel, turns her back on Anne after she gets involved with Cord, someone Rachel deems beneath her. In this short story, we see Rachel coming to Cord and Anne for help and we see the healing of that breach. Good story.
K. Holt
Wow! Splendidly crafted short story Western Historical Romance.

RACHEL'S EYES was my first exposure to Ellen O'Connell's work, and having enjoyed this well-written short story, I'm very interested in delving into her full-length novels, especially EYES OF SILVER, EYES OF GOLD, the full-length romance about the main characters in RACHEL'S EYES (Cord and Anne Bennett). This short story runs 16 pages (without front-and end-matter).

The characterization was *beautiful*....and I had such respect for th...more
Annie
It was an epilogue to Eyes. Good short story.
Luli
Muy flojita. Muy cortita. Desde el punto de vista de los protagonistas de Eyes of Silver Eyes of Gold, Cord y Anne, con lo cual tampoco es que sea una historia nueva, con nuevos protagonistas, más bien podría haber sido un par de páginas más en el libro original. Rachel aquí sigue siendo un personaje secundario y seguimos sin conocerla…
Importantísimo haber leído antes la historia de Cord y Anne.
Tina
I really liked to read this short little follow up to "Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold". I loved getting more of Anne & Cord. I also loved that the story between Anne & Rachel was resolved in this short story. I still love Cord!! He's so awesome!!
Kathleen
3.5 for this charming short story, a sequel to Eyes of Silver. In Rachel's Eyes we see what happens to Annie's best friend, Rachel -- who is in a world of hurt and needs help protecting her children.

Enter Cord. Enter Frank and Luke. Roust the monster and drive it out of town!

It was quite nice -- fun and enjoyable -- but VERY short, like an epilogue. Not sure it was worth .99, given its brevity, but I loved seeing Cord and Anne with their child, in a happy home.

If you loved the prequel, you'll...more
Emmy
Loved the chance to visit with Anne and Cord again and see what was going on with them, and particularly how they were handling parenthood. I'm sure others have already said this, but I wish it could have been longer. I love Anne and Cord and their relationship and I could probably read another full-length book about them.

For those who don't want to pay the $.99 on amazon, this is free to download as a pdf from the author's website.
Jessica
It's not a bad story, and I feel kinda bad about giving it only 2 stars. But realistically, it's more of an epilogue for Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold. I feel kinda stupid for paying $.99 for an epilogue. I think I had it finished in 10 minutes. Nice to know more of Anne and Cord's story though.
April Wilkerson
Even though this story is only a handful of pages, I was still thrilled when I saw it available. I loved Eyes of Silver Eyes of Gold, so this was a great small glimpse into their world again.

I hope there are more short stories about side characters coming!
Jody
I loved getting to catch up with Anne and Cord. Rachel's story is short but good. I like that we finally get answered that one question that was left hanging from the first book.

Can be found on http://www.oconnellauthor.com/
Angel Cade
*Swoon*
The most amazing American-Western hero of all time, Cord Bennett, in his mightiest form. :') I really loved having an happy-ever-after for Anne's and Rachel's friendship.
marieno
I liked Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold but this short story was NOT necessary. Even meeting Cord and Anne's little boy failed to make me love the story.
Loren
I gave it three stars for being able to catch a glimpse of Cord and Anne again, but even for a short story, there wasn't much story there.
Darcy Brignac
I liked knowing some info from after the end of Eyes like Silver, but it was too short!!!
namericanwordcat
I liked seeing Anne and Cord again but Rachel could have been given a romance.
Sharon
Very short story which I enjoyed but I would have preferred more!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold Dancing on Coals Sing My Name Beautiful Bad Man (Sutton Family, #1) Into the Light (Sutton Family, #2)