Start by marking “Rachel's Eyes: a Short Story” as Want to Read:
Rachel's Eyes: a Short Story

Rachel's Eyes: a Short Story (Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold #1.5)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  304 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
SHORT STORY (6,000 words, 22 pages). Rachel's Eyes features characters from the author's western historical romance novel, Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold. Rachel Miles Ross has shunned her former best friend, Anne Wells Bennett, since the day of Anne's marriage to half-breed Cord Bennett. Yet when Rachel's life crumbles around her, she turns to Anne for help. Anne can give s ...more
Published 2011 by Amazon

To ask other readers questions about Rachel's Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rachel's Eyes

Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold by Ellen O'ConnellComanche Moon by Catherine AndersonStubborn Hearts by Carol Ritten SmithUnder Starry Skies by Judy Ann DavisSing My Name by Ellen O'Connell
Historical Western Romance
169th out of 204 books — 133 voters
The Rancher's Runaway Bride by Judith BowenRedeeming Grace by Emma  MillerA Race to Splendor by Ciji WareRace to the Altar by Patricia HaganReady to Burn by Tracey Alvarez
Romance Novels Begining with the Letter R
66th out of 100 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Bgurl
Rachel’s Eyes (EOS 1.6), by Ellen O’Connell: 4 “Fun Sized” Stars
description
Cord: “Think he’ll leave without more prodding?”
Frank: “You have no idea how scary you looked with that knife.”
Cord: “Thought the same about you with the gun.”
Luke: “What about me? Don’t I get credit for the bloodthirsty act?”
Frank: “Oh, yeah. If you get tired of the cattle business, you can go on stage.”
~Cord, Frank, & Luke Bennett

Rachel’s Eyes, by Ellen O’Connell, is the resolution to Rachel Miles Moss’s story; the estran
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

If you've read Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold you know that Rachel Miles Ross was Anne's best friend, but when Anne married Cord, Rachel stopped coming around. In Rachel's Eyes we learn the truth about why she stayed away, and we get some insight into the abusive life that was her marriage.

This is a sweet, funny story, and I'm glad the author felt Rachel and Anne's friendship was deserving of a best friends happily ever after, too. But I'm especially glad for the chance we had to revisit Cord, Fr
Mei
Feb 04, 2016 Mei rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
A very cute and very short story!
I loved meeting again with Anne and Cord and I remebered how much I loved Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold!
MBR
May 13, 2011 MBR rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold by Ellen O'Connell
Recommended to MBR by: Jill
Rachel's Eyes is a short story that continues from one of the most wonderful historical romances that I have read to-date i.e. Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold by Ellen O'Connell. I loved the story that unfolded between half-breed Cord Bennett and Anne Wells amidst the violence and prejudices that life was back then so much that I have pimped it out on several occasions when fellow book lovers like me ask for book recommendations from the American-Western romance genre.

I was delighted when my frien
Jill
May 13, 2011 Jill rated it really liked it
A short but satisfying look at the continuing story of Cord and Anne Bennett (and family).
Duchess Nicole
This is a really quick story that resolves one issue in Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold. While it doesn’t neatly tie up all of the loose ends (like the spineless Reverend Pratt), it does give a little insight into Annie's friend Rachel and why she let the friendship go so easily.

We also get to find out the sex of the baby, which was one thing that I was disappointed in about the end of the book. Oh, and we get some tenderness from Cord, both for Annie and their child. And if you've read the book, y
Zoe and the Edge
Jul 13, 2015 Zoe and the Edge rated it really liked it
A cute little story with a bit of edge and a pleasure to revisit a favourite couple's HEA.
Cord and Anne 4eva.
That scene with Ross. A real classic. Teehee. Justice.
KatLynne
Jul 15, 2011 KatLynne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Free from author's website
Recommended to KatLynne by: 22 pages..Follows Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold
Short story - 22 pages that follows Eyes of Silver...Free from author's webpage.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
Jun 22, 2013 Laura (Kyahgirl) rated it really liked it
4/5; 4 stars ; A-

This short story was a great idea on the part of the author to let her readers 'peek in' on the characters from Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold by Ellen O'Connell.

In the original story, one of Anne's friends, Rachel, turns her back on Anne after she gets involved with Cord, someone Rachel deems beneath her. In this short story, we see Rachel coming to Cord and Anne for help and we see the healing of that breach. Good story.
Ammie
Apr 12, 2016 Ammie rated it liked it
Follow-up to Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold.
Annie
Jul 10, 2011 Annie rated it really liked it
It was an epilogue to Eyes. Good short story.
Eileen
Apr 02, 2016 Eileen rated it it was amazing
I'm so glad that she decided to write a short story about one of the secondary characters from book 1. Rachel came to Anne asking for help but she really needed Cord's help. They have never seen eye to eye but her sad story made Cord want to help. Help he did along with Frank and Luke at his side. He showed Rachel's husband a side of him that can make your skin crawl. Rachel's husband just needed a little persuasion to see what he needed to do by his family. Good to see how things are 2 years ou ...more
Anna
Sep 16, 2015 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
You can tell I really like an author when I go looking for short stories (usually not my favorite length). And by the time I got around to it in this case, I have to admit that the main characters in the book this story grew out of had gone a bit foggy in my mind.

That said, Rachel's Eyes was just long enough to really sink my teeth into, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe next time I won't wait so long to read O'Connell's next short story.
Luli
Jan 18, 2014 Luli rated it it was ok
Muy flojita. Muy cortita. Desde el punto de vista de los protagonistas de Eyes of Silver Eyes of Gold, Cord y Anne, con lo cual tampoco es que sea una historia nueva, con nuevos protagonistas, más bien podría haber sido un par de páginas más en el libro original. Rachel aquí sigue siendo un personaje secundario y seguimos sin conocerla…
Importantísimo haber leído antes la historia de Cord y Anne.
Tina
Feb 23, 2014 Tina rated it really liked it
I really liked to read this short little follow up to "Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold". I loved getting more of Anne & Cord. I also loved that the story between Anne & Rachel was resolved in this short story. I still love Cord!! He's so awesome!!
Tressa
Jan 13, 2016 Tressa rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Rachel’s Eyes is a short story and I recommend reading Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold first to fully enjoy the progression of Anne, Cord, and their families. I enjoyed catching up with the characters.
Sommertime
Jul 22, 2015 Sommertime rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Great short story. Love catching up with these characters.
Kathleen
Mar 28, 2013 Kathleen rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-historic
3.5 for this charming short story, a sequel to Eyes of Silver. In Rachel's Eyes we see what happens to Annie's best friend, Rachel -- who is in a world of hurt and needs help protecting her children.

Enter Cord. Enter Frank and Luke. Roust the monster and drive it out of town!

It was quite nice -- fun and enjoyable -- but VERY short, like an epilogue. Not sure it was worth .99, given its brevity, but I loved seeing Cord and Anne with their child, in a happy home.

If you loved the prequel, you'll
Melanie
Oct 27, 2015 Melanie rated it liked it
This novella is really more of a short story and is so short, it's really not much of a story. But what is there, is fine, though not memorable. It's nice to get a little flash of what's happening with the hero and heroine from the "Eyes of Silver...", but since it's about a side character from their story, you don't really hear much about them, even though it does take place from the hero of "Eyes of Silver..." POV. It's more like a quick snippet showing the way things are going a couple years ...more
Emmy
Dec 02, 2012 Emmy rated it it was amazing
Loved the chance to visit with Anne and Cord again and see what was going on with them, and particularly how they were handling parenthood. I'm sure others have already said this, but I wish it could have been longer. I love Anne and Cord and their relationship and I could probably read another full-length book about them.

For those who don't want to pay the $.99 on amazon, this is free to download as a pdf from the author's website.
Jessica
Jun 25, 2012 Jessica rated it it was ok
It's not a bad story, and I feel kinda bad about giving it only 2 stars. But realistically, it's more of an epilogue for Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold. I feel kinda stupid for paying $.99 for an epilogue. I think I had it finished in 10 minutes. Nice to know more of Anne and Cord's story though.
Andy Wilkerson
Aug 28, 2012 Andy Wilkerson rated it really liked it
Even though this story is only a handful of pages, I was still thrilled when I saw it available. I loved Eyes of Silver Eyes of Gold, so this was a great small glimpse into their world again.

I hope there are more short stories about side characters coming!
Jody
Jan 31, 2013 Jody rated it liked it
I loved getting to catch up with Anne and Cord. Rachel's story is short but good. I like that we finally get answered that one question that was left hanging from the first book.

Can be found on http://www.oconnellauthor.com/
Angel Cade
May 19, 2013 Angel Cade rated it really liked it
*Swoon*
The most amazing American-Western hero of all time, Cord Bennett, in his mightiest form. :') I really loved having an happy-ever-after for Anne's and Rachel's friendship.
marieno
Oct 13, 2012 marieno rated it did not like it
I liked Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold but this short story was NOT necessary. Even meeting Cord and Anne's little boy failed to make me love the story.
Loren
May 24, 2013 Loren rated it liked it
I gave it three stars for being able to catch a glimpse of Cord and Anne again, but even for a short story, there wasn't much story there.
Darcy Brignac
Mar 08, 2013 Darcy Brignac rated it it was ok
I liked knowing some info from after the end of Eyes like Silver, but it was too short!!!
namericanwordcat
Sep 04, 2011 namericanwordcat rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-lendable
I liked seeing Anne and Cord again but Rachel could have been given a romance.
Sharon
Jun 08, 2013 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: ellen-o-connell
Very short story which I enjoyed but I would have preferred more!
  • In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3)
  • Colorado Dawn (Runaway Brides, #2)
  • The Devil's Match (The Devil DeVere #4)
  • In a Cowboy's Arms
  • Maverick Wild (Wild, #2)
  • The Stranger
  • Highland Rogue (Clan MacKenzie #2)
  • Tin Angel
  • Stealing Heaven (Celtic Rogues #4)
  • Come Back
  • Mountain Woman
  • The Texan's Wager (Wife Lottery, #1)
  • The Promise of Jenny Jones
  • Train Station Bride (Crawford Family, #1)
  • Reluctant (The MacKays #3)

Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold (2 books)
  • Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold (Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold, #1)
  • Luke's Eyes