Start by marking “Deadly Threads” as Want to Read:
Deadly Threads

Deadly Threads (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #6)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  295 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Fashions fade, but death is eternal in Deadly Threads--Agatha finalist Jane K. Cleland's irresistible new blend of vintage and vengeance.

Published April 12th 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Threads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Threads

Dorothy
I've been into reading fluff lately and this cozy mystery certainly qualifies. Maybe it's time for me to try something a little more substantial again.

This book was okay, but that's really about the most I can say for it. It is told in the voice of Josie Prescott, the antique store owner and antiques appraiser who just can't seem to stop tripping over bodies. The problem is that, for me at least, her voice is just not very interesting. The dialogue is wooden and unbelievable and the characters a
Marge
I am done with this series. The author is doing cut & paste from one story to another. The events in every story are the same. You can predict just when Wes will call and say "not over the phone, we have to meet"
Anne
The 6th in the Josie Prescott series finds Josie dealing with the murder of one of her friends, Riley, at her store, Prescott Antiques. Not only was Riley Josie's friend, but she was also at the store to act as a guest lecturer on vintage clothing. Who could have killed Riley and why? Josie is drawn into the search for the killer after one of her employees is also endangered. Will the case be solved before some one else ends up dead? Although this book is the six in the series, it can be read in ...more
Denise
This was an excellent read. I got this as a free book for filling out a survey--and 3 other books too (also a check for a dollar). This is a way to entice me to buy more books.

Anyway, although I usually like to read a series in order (this is #6 of the JOSIE PRESCOTT ANTIQUES MYSTERY Series), I read this because it sounded really good, and it was. Although I know nothing about antique clothing this book didn't bore you to death with details but did give interesting info about antique clothing. I
Connie Deeter
This book is a good read - I have read all of Jane Cleland's books about Josie Prescott - it is amazing how Jane has brought Josie from a ' basket case' after losing her job in New York and the death of her Father. It seems like all she did was cry -

I was very fortunate to meet Jane in Chapel Hill NC on Friday June 3 and it was so great to hear directly from her how she has seen Jose move along in dealing with all the tragedies in her life. Josie still seems very vulnerable to me, but is handli
Kathleen
Coincidence or not? I recently burned through Lea Wait’s mystery series involving an antique print collector who often finds herself embroiled in murders and frequently on the coast of Maine. Reading Cleland’s latest mystery, I had forgotten her connection to antique collectors turned sleuth in Maine with her protagonist, Josie Prescott. I enjoyed catching up with familiar characters from previous books especially those who have sharpened their antique dealer skills or have found happiness. Agai ...more
Viccy
Josie Prescott owns an antiques company in Rocky Point NH. She dates the former chief of police for Rocky Point, who now works for Homeland Security. Josie's friend, Riley, is murdered at the warehouse one night while she is there to deliver a lecture on vintage clothing. Josie is named a trustee for Riley's will which establishes a charitable foundation for fashion. Josie's assistant, Gretchen, becomes a target when she remembers the type of automobile she saw pulling away from the parking lot ...more
Karen
Fashions fade, but death is eternal in Agatha finalist Jane K. Cleland’s irresistible new blend of vintage and vengeanceJosie Prescott has begun hosting classes at her antiques and appraisals shop, nestled in the cozy little coastal town of Rocky Point, New Hampshire. The next class is on building a great vintage clothing collection. But when guest lecturer Riley Jordan is late, Josie begins class by reaching under a display table for a dazzling pair of Chanel heels. But instead of the heels, sh ...more
Carol
I knew this was a simple fluff piece at the onset, but hoped for a bit of depth occasionally. Disappointed with shallow characters and flimsy plot. The one saving grace was an interesting stray cat; at least it had some personality.
Vicki Gooding
I just finished this book. I didn't realize that it was part of a series, but that did not matter. The main character of the book owns a vintage antique business in a little town of NH. A close group of friends that had an interest of fashion formed a little class to learn more. It provides tidbits of knowledge on vintage clothing and antiques interwoven in the mystery for those of us who may not know much about designer clothing. It reads like a Murder She Wrote. A murder found in her shop. Clo ...more
Pat
Excellent! A page turner for me. I truly enjoy the Jane K. Cleland series of Josie Prescott Antiques. I actually did not know many of the details of old things! It has been very interesting.
Barbara
Jane Cleland cleverly mixes fashion and suspense. The characters are well developed and believable. I actually got to the end of the book before I realized "who done it."
Nicole
Jane Cleland's series with Josie Prescott keeps getting better with each book. This one focused on vintage fashion. The "who done it" was a surprise at the end and wasn't obvious. Cleland's research into the different antiques is readily apparent and always provides a fascinating education on something new. The vintage fashion info was no different.

I think Hank is a great addition to Prescott's and look forward to his involvement in other upcoming stories.
Debbie Maskus
This is a series set on the coast of New Hampshire about Josie Prescott, owner of Prescott’s Antiques, who is nosy and cannot pass a murder investigation. A good friend of Josie's, Riley Jordan has the bad fortune of being strangled at Josie's business. Then Gretchen, an employee of Josie's is shot and then her apartment falls victim to an arsonist. As usual, in a Jane Cleland novel, the whys and wheres of antiques are explained. This story centers on vintage clothing, and the stories are intere ...more
Susan
Not a bad storyteller but I have trouble with her dialogue.
Marcia
a good series, well written
George
#6 in the Josie Prescott mystery series. Prescott is a clothing antiques dealer in New Hampshire who operates a small company. The mystery involves the murder of a good friend of Josie that takes place at Josie's company's location. So it is personal for Josie who works with the local newspaper editor finding information relating to the murder and feeding clues to the police chief that eventually solves the murder.

It is a nice easy read that is not overly complicated.
Jill
#6 in the Josie Prescott antiques mystery series. Josie finds yet another body and just has to figure out who would kill her friend right in the shop. Riley collects antique clothes (vintage). I was surprised at the end when the killer was arrested. I am still not sure if Josie was really on the right track, but she managed to be in the right place at the right time with her reporter friend Wes.
Grey853
Josie runs and auction house. In this book of the series, she's branched out into vintage clothes. All the talk of designer labels and fashion might interest some, but it bored me. I thought the actual mystery had potential and I enjoyed Hank the cat. However, overall there was just too much repetition as Josie told her story to the police as well as the press.
Caroline
Love the Josie Prescott series! A kind and thoughtful person, Rosemary Harris, got me a personally autographed copy of this book from Jane Cleland (when I was unable to find it in local bookstores)! How special that was! And the story was great. I love the setting and the characters in this series and hope there are many more to come.
Susan
Josie Prescott finds the body of one of her favorite customers hidden beneath a table at her antiques auction room. The wealthy woman's will involves Josie even more in her death. As spring slowly comes to northern New England, Josie realizes that one of her employees, and close friend, has been targeted by a murderer.
Julie
I believe this is the newest in this antique shop mystery series. A lot of this story was about vintage clothing. Following that other mystery I just read on this topic, it was like deja vu all over again! But this was better written and I'll be waiting for the next in the series.
Michele bookloverforever
I liked this book. I enjoyed the plot. I loved the main character: a strong woman who owns an antique shop and auction house a la sotheby's. I especially loved the setting: the NH seacoast where I lived for 2 years and enjoyed a lot.
Leslie Angel
Like the people and like antiques, but this one was about antique clothes, handbags, hats, etc. also guessed pretty much all of it. think I have to stop reading mysteries for a while; getting jaded.
Mary Miller-Clark
I really enjoyed this book. It is probably one of my favorites in the series. Interesting and well written, well developed characters. I continue to enjoy learning about antiques in the books.
Barb Foerst
A friend is found dead in Jane's auction house and once again Jane becomes involved in solving a killing. Nice development of the continuing characters and a surprise killer.
Shauna
I enjoy these mysteries, and this one again had the advantage of actually using Josie's antique expertise in helping to solve the mystery. Good, quick, light, escaspist reading.
Kelly
I enjoyed this one quite a bit. I am interested in vintage clothing, so that storyline was a plus. Always fun to find the Rex Stout bits in Cleland's work.
Sandy
This book is a little on the "fluff" side but it was a fun read and I'd read others in the series. Vintage clothing is an interesting subject.
  • Scary Stuff (Jane Wheel, #6)
  • Shadows on the Ivy (Antique Print, #3)
  • Deadly Notions (A Southern Sewing Circle, #4)
  • A Parfait Murder (A Mystery a La Mode, #3)
  • Jericho Cay (Bay Tanner, #11)
  • Swift Edge (A Charlie Swift Mystery #2)
  • Third Degree (A Murder 101 Mystery #5)
  • A Dark And Stormy Night (Dorothy Martin, #10)
  • A Gift for Murder
  • Running on Empty (Main Street Mystery #1)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Forges Ahead
  • Among the Departed (Constable Molly Smith #5)
  • Skating Over the Line (Rebecca Robbins, #2)
  • Grace Interrupted (Manor House Mystery, #2)
  • Murder Most Persuasive (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery #3)
  • A Killer's Christmas in Wales (Penny Brannigan Mystery #3)
  • A Decadent Way to Die (Savannah Reid Mystery, #16)
  • Murder under Cover (A Bibliophile Mystery, #4)
Jane K. Cleland’s multiple award-winning and IMBA best selling Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery series [St. Martin’s Minotaur] has been reviewed as an Antiques Roadshow for mystery fans. Library Journal named Consigned to Death a "core title" for librarians looking to build a cozy collection, one of only 22 titles listed, along with books by Agatha Christie and Dorothy L. Sayers. The full article i ...more
More about Jane K. Cleland...

Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery (10 books)
  • Consigned to Death (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #1)
  • Deadly Appraisal (Josie Prescott, #2)
  • Antiques to Die For (Josie Prescott, #3)
  • Killer Keepsakes (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #4)
  • Silent Auction (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)
  • Dolled Up for Murder (Josie Prescott #7)
  • Lethal Treasure (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #8)
  • Blood Rubies: A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #9)
  • Ornaments of Death: A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #10)
Consigned to Death (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #1) Antiques to Die For (Josie Prescott, #3) Deadly Appraisal (Josie Prescott, #2) Killer Keepsakes (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #4) Silent Auction (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)