Start by marking “Eclipse 1 New Science Fiction And Fantasy” as Want to Read:
Eclipse 1 New Science Fiction And Fantasy

Eclipse 1 New Science Fiction And Fantasy (Eclipse: New Science Fiction and Fantasy #1)

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  114 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
An eclipse is a rare and unusual event, when the world is transformed and the sky becomes a dark eldritch thing. It's a time when anything could happen, when any kind of story just might be true. That sense of the strange and wonderful guides Eclipse: New Science Fiction and Fantasy, the first volume in an exciting new annual anthology series edited by acclaimed anthologis ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Night Shade Books (first published March 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Eclipse 1 New Science Fiction And Fantasy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eclipse 1 New Science Fiction And Fantasy

Lightreads
A speculative fiction anthology whose theme appears to be 'stories Jonathan Strahan liked.' I don't always like what Jonathan Strahan likes. A few notes, in no particular order:

Bruce Sterling, "The Lustration." Sentient planet computer made entirely of wood! Kind of Ted Chiang lite, which still leaves it pretty interesting (though with whispers of some weird gender issues).

Jeffrey Ford, "The Drowned Life," and Peter S. Beagle, "The Last and Only or, Mr. Moscowitz Becomes French." You know when a
Anna Tan
The 15 short stories in here are a hodge-podge of science fiction and fantasy stories (more biased towards fantasy/paranormal than science fiction), some of which provided a-ha! moments, whilst others left me puzzled.

I'd say there were overall more a-ha! stories than puzzling ones.

The few I really liked were:
- Bad Luck, Trouble, Death, and Vampire Sex (Garth Nix)
Well, what can I say - I initially picked up this book because I saw his name on the cover. Gardner, a bumbling wizard, somehow kills
Rob
Jun 17, 2009 Rob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new weirdos but probably not pre-post-post-cyberpunks
Eclipse 1 is a good-not-great anthology of speculative (née "science") fiction and fantasy (rather: "new weird") short stories edited by Jonathan Strahan. My "good-not-great" may be stemming from my disappointment that there was more "new weird"/fantasy than there was science fiction[†:] but there were still quite a few "big wins" in the pile that is this paperback binding.

As for the computed average of my ratings on the individual stories themselves (out to four decimal places), Eclipse 1 score
Ryun
Jul 31, 2010 Ryun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“If you look at photos taken of the sun during a lunar eclipse,” editor Jonathan Strahan writes in the introduction to ECLIPSE ONE: NEW FANTASY AND SCIENCE FICTION, “you’ll see a strange, dark eldritch thing.”

Strange, dark and eldritch certainly describe this anthology, which collects 15 original fantasy and science-fiction short stories. All the tales in ECLIPSE ONE are creepy at the very least, and the spookiest of them could very well keep you up at night. While the title gives equal billing
Richard
This is far from uniformly great - there are better anthologies out there and there are a couple of stories I *really* didn't like. Garth Nix's, for example, seemed to be YA with some added swears (well, he does write plenty of YA fiction, yes?)

And, apart from his collaboration with William Gibson on the Difference Engine, I've just never really been able to get into Brude Sterling. Must be missing something.

That said, where I enjoyed it, I really did, so, given that there are a reasonable numbe
Leadie
Oct 18, 2015 Leadie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The opening blurb on this includes 'rare and unusual event.' I have to admit that there were two stories that were strong in this area! One I had a difficult time following but once I got to a certain point it kind of fell together. That said, there are some truly outstanding gems in this collection.
If you need a variety of Science Fiction and Fantasy to get you going it's worth giving a peek at to see if this one is what will grab you. Like I said, some did and some didn't. But I did read all o
Egil
Jan 25, 2014 Egil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mostly good, a couple of stories sucked but mostly good. Overall good enough to read Eclipse Two. Bought them from the clearance section of a used bookstore for $1 each so no grand expectations and I like getting exposed to new authors.
Bill
Jan 23, 2010 Bill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, fantasy, anthology
I wasn't as impressed as I was supposed to be. I think I read a recommendation for this on someone's blog and figured it was time to be up-to-date in my short story reading. But this can't really be the good stuff, could it? I can't say I read a single story that really knocked my socks off. There was one about a hermaphrodite bigfoot that captured my attention and then lost my respect when the ending imploded. To top it off, I wasn't that impressed with the binding. This one gets two stars for ...more
Ian C
Nov 19, 2010 Ian C rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Billed as Sci-fi, it's more fantasy. One of, if not the, worst compilations I've ever read. Were if not for my somewhat obsessive/compulsive nature, I would have tossed this into the fireplace. Even Bruce Sterling's story failed for me. The only standouts are Lucius Shepard's story "Larissa Miusov", and Paul Brandon & Jack Dann's "The Transformation of Targ", the latter being the best story included in this book. Also Ellen Klages' "Mrs. Zeno Paradox", (the shortest tale in this book) was so ...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I picked this up for the Ysabeau S. Wilce story. It turned out to be more of the early adventures of Tiny Doom. It was a good read.

The others ... nothing really jumps out at me. Except for the Garth Nix story, which poked subtle fun at the paranormal romance genre.
Scott Oesterling
A book of sci fi short fiction from Night Shade Books. Night shade has great authors and has fantastic fiction free on the website that you can read on your Kindle. However,most of the stories in this anthology did not grab me. I do highly recommend Toother by Terry Dowling and Electric Rain by Katherine Goonan.
Mind Bird
Apr 03, 2013 Mind Bird rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
Interesting and chewy anthology! I generally like "hard" science fiction, but the fantasy stories here aren't "sword and sorcery" things, they are the kind that are only a step away from SF. All the stories are fresh and really interesting, and almost all are good. A pleasure to read.
Annie
May 28, 2012 Annie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall Eclipse Once is pretty good. I did find myself trudging through a few of the stories, but nothing too painful. The best one by far was The Transformation of Targ by Paul Brandon and Jack Dann. If you want it quick read this anthology is a good pick.
Athens
Aug 13, 2012 Athens rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While the writings here do not lack for style (as in the management of wording), they do lack for story line.

Quite a few times in going through the collection I would catch myself thinking "if I were reading this when 12 years old, this would be awesome."
Andrew
Dec 29, 2009 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid and interesting collection of short pieces by top authors. I could have used a few more stories of rollicking adventure, and maybe one or two less of abstract fantasy, but you won't be sorry you cracked its spine.
Janice
May 17, 2012 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012

I liked almost all the stories, and like some of them very much. Will definitely be looking for more of this series.
Gevera Bert
Jul 16, 2011 Gevera Bert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable, broad-spectrum anthology. Could have been fatter. Looking forward to future volumes.
Alana
May 01, 2008 Alana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
i only read two stories from this book (garth nix and ysabeau s. wilce)
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Trey Conrad
Trey Conrad marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Steve Ball
Steve Ball rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Patrick Stubbs
Patrick Stubbs marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
leah lederman
leah lederman marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Sreevidhya
Sreevidhya marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen is currently reading it
May 31, 2016
  • Fast Forward
  • The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction: Sixtieth Anniversary Anthology
  • The Best of the Best, Vol 2: 20 Years of the Best Short Science Fiction Novels
  • Selected Stories
  • Lightspeed: Year One
  • The Best of Michael Swanwick
  • The Best of Lucius Shepard
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • Fast Ships, Black Sails
  • The Apex Book of World SF (Apex Book of World SF #1)
  • Year's Best Fantasy
  • Getting to Know You
  • The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories
  • Solaris Rising: The New Solaris Book of Science Fiction
  • Love and Romanpunk (Twelve Planets, #2)
  • Futures from Nature
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Two

Eclipse: New Science Fiction and Fantasy (4 books)
  • Eclipse 2: New Science Fiction And Fantasy