Start by marking “Eclipse 1 New Science Fiction And Fantasy” as Want to Read:
Eclipse 1 New Science Fiction And Fantasy

Eclipse 1 New Science Fiction And Fantasy (Eclipse: New Science Fiction and Fantasy #1)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  18 reviews
An eclipse is a rare and unusual event, when the world is transformed and the sky becomes a dark eldritch thing. It's a time when anything could happen, when any kind of story just might be true. That sense of the strange and wonderful guides Eclipse: New Science Fiction and Fantasy, the first volume in an exciting new annual anthology series edited by acclaimed anthologis ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Night Shade Books (first published March 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Eclipse 1 New Science Fiction And Fantasy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eclipse 1 New Science Fiction And Fantasy

Zachary Jernigan
One of a few annotations from my MFA program, circa 2009-2010, that I'm including here on Goodreads because I recently stumbled upon them. Note: I may not agree with some of these opinions anymore...

Eclipse One is impressive because of its sheer scope. Fascinated lately by the variety of language in modern science fiction and fantasy, what I intend to examine herein are two very different stories with very different approaches to description. While Jeffrey Ford's approach in his fantastic piece
Lightreads
A speculative fiction anthology whose theme appears to be 'stories Jonathan Strahan liked.' I don't always like what Jonathan Strahan likes. A few notes, in no particular order:

Bruce Sterling, "The Lustration." Sentient planet computer made entirely of wood! Kind of Ted Chiang lite, which still leaves it pretty interesting (though with whispers of some weird gender issues).

Jeffrey Ford, "The Drowned Life," and Peter S. Beagle, "The Last and Only or, Mr. Moscowitz Becomes French." You know when a
Anna Tan
The 15 short stories in here are a hodge-podge of science fiction and fantasy stories (more biased towards fantasy/paranormal than science fiction), some of which provided a-ha! moments, whilst others left me puzzled.

I'd say there were overall more a-ha! stories than puzzling ones.

The few I really liked were:
- Bad Luck, Trouble, Death, and Vampire Sex (Garth Nix)
Well, what can I say - I initially picked up this book because I saw his name on the cover. Gardner, a bumbling wizard, somehow kills
Rob
Jun 17, 2009 Rob rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new weirdos but probably not pre-post-post-cyberpunks
Eclipse 1 is a good-not-great anthology of speculative (née "science") fiction and fantasy (rather: "new weird") short stories edited by Jonathan Strahan. My "good-not-great" may be stemming from my disappointment that there was more "new weird"/fantasy than there was science fiction[†:] but there were still quite a few "big wins" in the pile that is this paperback binding.

As for the computed average of my ratings on the individual stories themselves (out to four decimal places), Eclipse 1 score
Ryun
“If you look at photos taken of the sun during a lunar eclipse,” editor Jonathan Strahan writes in the introduction to ECLIPSE ONE: NEW FANTASY AND SCIENCE FICTION, “you’ll see a strange, dark eldritch thing.”

Strange, dark and eldritch certainly describe this anthology, which collects 15 original fantasy and science-fiction short stories. All the tales in ECLIPSE ONE are creepy at the very least, and the spookiest of them could very well keep you up at night. While the title gives equal billing
Richard
This is far from uniformly great - there are better anthologies out there and there are a couple of stories I *really* didn't like. Garth Nix's, for example, seemed to be YA with some added swears (well, he does write plenty of YA fiction, yes?)

And, apart from his collaboration with William Gibson on the Difference Engine, I've just never really been able to get into Brude Sterling. Must be missing something.

That said, where I enjoyed it, I really did, so, given that there are a reasonable numbe
Egil
Mostly good, a couple of stories sucked but mostly good. Overall good enough to read Eclipse Two. Bought them from the clearance section of a used bookstore for $1 each so no grand expectations and I like getting exposed to new authors.
Bill
I wasn't as impressed as I was supposed to be. I think I read a recommendation for this on someone's blog and figured it was time to be up-to-date in my short story reading. But this can't really be the good stuff, could it? I can't say I read a single story that really knocked my socks off. There was one about a hermaphrodite bigfoot that captured my attention and then lost my respect when the ending imploded. To top it off, I wasn't that impressed with the binding. This one gets two stars for ...more
Ian C
Billed as Sci-fi, it's more fantasy. One of, if not the, worst compilations I've ever read. Were if not for my somewhat obsessive/compulsive nature, I would have tossed this into the fireplace. Even Bruce Sterling's story failed for me. The only standouts are Lucius Shepard's story "Larissa Miusov", and Paul Brandon & Jack Dann's "The Transformation of Targ", the latter being the best story included in this book. Also Ellen Klages' "Mrs. Zeno Paradox", (the shortest tale in this book) was so ...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I picked this up for the Ysabeau S. Wilce story. It turned out to be more of the early adventures of Tiny Doom. It was a good read.

The others ... nothing really jumps out at me. Except for the Garth Nix story, which poked subtle fun at the paranormal romance genre.
Scott Oesterling
A book of sci fi short fiction from Night Shade Books. Night shade has great authors and has fantastic fiction free on the website that you can read on your Kindle. However,most of the stories in this anthology did not grab me. I do highly recommend Toother by Terry Dowling and Electric Rain by Katherine Goonan.
Mind Bird
Apr 03, 2013 Mind Bird rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
Interesting and chewy anthology! I generally like "hard" science fiction, but the fantasy stories here aren't "sword and sorcery" things, they are the kind that are only a step away from SF. All the stories are fresh and really interesting, and almost all are good. A pleasure to read.
Annie
Overall Eclipse Once is pretty good. I did find myself trudging through a few of the stories, but nothing too painful. The best one by far was The Transformation of Targ by Paul Brandon and Jack Dann. If you want it quick read this anthology is a good pick.
Athens
While the writings here do not lack for style (as in the management of wording), they do lack for story line.

Quite a few times in going through the collection I would catch myself thinking "if I were reading this when 12 years old, this would be awesome."
Andrew
A solid and interesting collection of short pieces by top authors. I could have used a few more stories of rollicking adventure, and maybe one or two less of abstract fantasy, but you won't be sorry you cracked its spine.
Janice

I liked almost all the stories, and like some of them very much. Will definitely be looking for more of this series.
Gevera Bert
An enjoyable, broad-spectrum anthology. Could have been fatter. Looking forward to future volumes.
Alana
i only read two stories from this book (garth nix and ysabeau s. wilce)
Mike Ray
Mike Ray marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Lori Carlson
Lori Carlson marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Oscar_LRB
Oscar_LRB marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Zactoichi
Zactoichi marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Sarah Frost
Sarah Frost marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Janet Morris
Janet Morris marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Ted
Ted marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
J.R. Johnson
J.R. Johnson is currently reading it
Mar 03, 2015
Rosie
Rosie marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
  • Selected Stories
  • Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology
  • The New Weird
  • The Best of Lucius Shepard

Eclipse: New Science Fiction and Fantasy (4 books)
  • Eclipse 2: New Science Fiction And Fantasy
  • Eclipse 3: New Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Eclipse 4: New Science Fiction and Fantasy
Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron Engineering Infinity The Starry Rift: Tales of New Tomorrows Edge of Infinity Wings of Fire