Start by marking “Flash Gold (Flash Gold Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
Flash Gold (Flash Gold Chronicles #1)

Flash Gold (Flash Gold Chronicles #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,544 ratings  ·  184 reviews
Eighteen-year-old Kali McAlister enters her steam-powered "dogless sled" in a race, intending to win the thousand-dollar prize and escape remote Moose Hollow forever. The problem? Fortune seekers and airship pirates are after her for the secret to flash gold, her late father's alchemical masterpiece.

With her modified rifle and a pocketful of home-made smoke bombs, Kali wo
Published April 1st 2011 (first published March 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Flash Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flash Gold

Angelfall by Susan EeBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireThe Vampire Hunter's Daughter by Jennifer Malone WrightEmber by Madison DanielBirthright by Willow Cross
Best Independent Novels
349th out of 2,304 books — 3,208 voters
Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne JonesThe Emperor's Edge by Lindsay BurokerSon of the Shadows by Juliet MarillierPoison Study by Maria V. SnyderRepublic by Lindsay Buroker
Powerful Female Protagonists
104th out of 199 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Hannah
3.5 stars. This is a fun little steampunk novella that's jam-packed with action and explosions (something which long-time fans of the author have come to anticipate) and never tries to be more than it is - a short and fast-paced adventure story. It wasn't as staggeringly awesome for me as The Emperor's Edge was, but it's probably an unfair comparison since Flash Gold is, after all, restricted by the length of a novella.

Lindsay Buroker has a knack for writing likeable heroines, and Kali McAllis
Jennifer at BookShelfery
May 23, 2011 Jennifer at BookShelfery rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Badlands
Shelves: steampunk
Flash Gold is my second foray into true Steampunk and it was a fun one. It's witty and campy and definitely packed with lots of action. I was disappointed that it was only 57 pages! I wanted more and I hope Ms. Buroker writes a follow-up.

Kali McAlister is a spunky, feisty young woman determined to leave her town for bigger and better things. The villagers at best view her as quirky; at worst, they think she's a witch, because she uses all kinds of mechanical devices as weapons and for protectio
Vannessa
This was a nice quick 88 page read. Not great, but enjoyable enough. It was just too short to explore the characters any more than it did.

Kali lives in Moose Hollow, a small village where everyone believes she's a witch. She's not, but her mother was a witch of sorts. Her father however was an inventor of something called Flash Gold, a substance which blows up like gunpowder and highly sought after as it is so valuable. What Kali is good at is creating mechanical inventions, such as robotic guar
Marla
Another freebie that lead me to buy the next two books, which at $1.50 and $3 each were not bad prices.
It's called a novella, but that's just a fancy way of saying short story, because it was really short. It felt more like the first chapter to a longer book, only disappointing because I wanted more. Which I got by buying the next two books, which progressively get longer.(a pox upon you amazon for making it so easy to purchases books via the kindle!)
I was vaguely aware of what steampunk was so
Kelly
Look! Another awesome freebie! Yay! This is a short and sweet little steampunk novella that has enough going for it to be a expanded or extended into a full length novel. I loved Kali's prickly can-do attitude. She's used to taking care of herself and she does just that. Cedar intrigued me. I'd love to hear his backstory and see more of what made him into the man he turned into.

As short as this story is, it easily drew me into Kali's life and the hardships she faces. Sure, I'm a sucker for steam
Pete
Flash Gold is book 1 in the Flash Gold Chronicles, is a short novella in steampunk, which I don’t read very often. When I saw the story was in the Yukon, where I have been on numerous trips to Alaska, it attracted my attention. Lindsay Buroker got me laughing right away in this fun read, when on page one I read about pee freezing before it hit the ground , I thought, been there done that!! and thought, yup, this will be a fun read.

Kali has some unique creations including smoke nuts which expel
Melindeeloo
Kali plans to enter a sled race with her steam-powered mechanical dogs, in the hopes that the prize money will allow her to wilds of the Yukon behind and allow her to pursue her inventing in a warmer clime. Through the machinations of a friend, Kali somehow acquires the sword and gun toting Cedar as a body guard for the journey - not realising that she is actually going to need one. Because, while Kali's after the prize, others are after Kali and the secret she hides.

I really enjoyed this short
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
A short, vastly entertaining steampunk short story with a sled dog race, betrayal, alchemy and contraptions unheard of.
Kali was just the right amount of feisty -- not enough to be obnoxious but no pushover -- clever, and believably self-reliant. Kali is smart and determined to win her race and get out of Moose Hollow forever.
The best part of the story is the chemistry, dialogue, and interaction between Kali and the cryptic Cedar, and the fluid, humorous narrative which moves along quickly. The
Reena Jacobs
Lindsay Buroker really knows how to make science fun. Expect my full review May 28, 2011 on my website: http://reenajacobs.com/blog/2011/05/n...

I know this book was about Kali, but I dug into Flash Gold and found myself quiet attracted to Cedar. He was decisive and didn’t shirk away from duty. I can’t say I trusted the big guy though. The entire time, I kept wondering what his deal was. Exactly why was he there? His role added a bit of mystery to the story.

Then there was Kali, the heroine of the
Patricia Eddy
This is the fourth book I've read by Ms. Buroker. I've loved each one (granted, three were from the same series). There are a number of things I like about them.

1. Snappy dialog. A good story is one thing. But dialog that keeps things moving, isn't repetitive, and makes me laugh is definitely appreciated.
2. Mysterious men. The leading man (who is really a supporting role, not the main character) is adequately mysterious. This really isn't anything that should make a break a book, but it's somet
Cindy
This story hooked me from the beginning. Many steampunk stories begin with heroes or heroines in ghastly trouble from the get go and include horribly awkward dialog to get the story started and they usually have me going...ok, what else is on my Kindle, but I so want to read good steampunk so I keep trying. In, Hunted by Lindsey Buroker, I was happy to just groove with the story and get into it unfettered. I enjoyed the pace and the story moved well and was really good and the series, for me, ho ...more
Marlene
This review was originally posted at http://www.readingreality.net/2012/03...

Flash Gold by Lindsay Buroker is the first story in her Flash Gold Chronicles. What are those, I hear you asking? They are an absolutely marvelous series of western-style steampunk-flavored romps set in a gold rush-era Yukon featuring a terrifically inventive heroine, Kali McAlister.

In other words, it's fun!

Kali McAllister plans to enter her "dogless sled" in a mushing race, all so she can win the $1000 prize and leave
Ricardo Jasso Moedano
My chief apprehension was a lame romance would begin at the end of this tale - and it didn't, which makes this book great on all scores: not a very complicated story to follow (yet there's plenty of new ground to explore further in the next volumes), a steady pace throughout, and, what is rare to find anymore, brief but relevant dialogues. The author imparts a fine lesson to many writers that rely on extensive dialogues to give some insight into the characters' minds, albeit often achieving quit ...more
Tarra
I got really wrapped up in the characters and the world. I was shocked when I read on goodreads that this was only about 42 pages. It was jam packed with action, secrets, and some pretty good character development. I really wanted more and was disappointed that this wasn't a full length novel. Great characters and interesting world. A lot of steampunk elements, but I love how they were neatly incorporated into the story, not just thrown in there to cross genres. I will definitely check out more ...more
Mia Darien
That was fantastic. I don't give 5 Stars very often, but this deserved it.

The steampunk elements blended seamlessly into integral parts of the plot and character. Kali was wonderful and Cedar was just the kind of hero I like. The plot was a fun, fast-paced racing romp and adventure.

For anyone who wants to write a smart, sassy tough chick and anyone who wants to write a sympathetic Alpha hero, with wonderful interaction, this is how it's done!
A.C. Smyth
A sled race forms the backdrop of this novelette, only one of the sleds is not pulled by dogs, but propelled by a steam engine. The inventor, Kali, is considered a witch for her ability to craft mechanical devices. But she has come to the attention of people who believe she knows the secret of the "flash gold" invented/discovered by her father. With people trying to kill her for the secret, and the snowy wastes of the countryside being covered by the race an ideal place for them to do away with ...more
Whitebeard Books
I picked up this title just to get another taste of Steampunk. I must say that now, I am not only a fan of the genre, but a huge fan of this lady as a writer. Her characters are people anyone with an imagination will enjoy knowing. The circumstances are nail biting and the outcome is very satisfying. This little tale has it all. I'm going back to my reader now to add the next in this series as well as to read another title by the same fine author that I already have. Read this one and enjoy a we ...more
Jenna Anderson
Flash Gold was the second book I've read in the Steampunk genre. I can honestly say that I get it now. The first title I attempted was The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (The Steampunk Chronicles) by Kady Cross. Lindsay Buroker can write circles around Cross.

This novella is very well written. Ms. Buroker has a wonderful talent of blending story and action. What I liked most was the pace and the way she laid out her tale. There weren't any lagging or long dumps of back-story yet I know so much abo
Frida Fantastic (book blogger)
Eighteen-year-old Kali McAlister wants to leave Moose Hollow forever. She enters a 3-day dog sled race to win the grand prize of a thousand dollars with her steam-powered “dogless” contraption.

While that’s already a lot of pressure–bandits, treasure seekers, and airship pirates are out to sabotage her race as they want to steal her father’s alchemical secret–the flash gold.

This is an enjoyable adventure novella. The steampunk creations fit well with the Yukon gold rush setting and adds a rich fl
Dani
Sometimes you just need a good little novella. You know what I mean? A little story to fill up an hour, to fit between longer books, to break things up, to transport you for a short time without a huge, weighty time commitment. Last night I was cruising around Amazon looking for just that, and ran across Flash Gold.

Novella? Check.

Decent reviews? Check.

Interesting synopsis? Check and double check.

Ooooo… Steampunk? Score.

The first few pages get off to a little bit of a rough start, but once I g
Cathy  Keaton
This novella is awesome! I completely loved it. It's a great steampunk read, as my interests in that genre are growing more and more these days. "Flash Gold" has such an endearing quality going for it, I couldn't help but love it. Although a bit light on the details of the steampunk technology, it is so strong on story and character, you just don't really miss it.

The plot is perfectly paced and there is plenty of dangerous action going on. But, the best thing about the story is its amazing chara
Jenna
After reading some of Buroker's other books, it wasn't a hard decision on my part to add Flash Gold to my list. Ms. Buroker has once again created a story with just a pinch of all the right elements: fantasy, action, adventure, mystery, history and just a touch of romance and intrigue. Once again, we are introduced to a strong female lead who is quite able to take care of herself, but doesn't mind a little help along the way. Another aspect to this story (which I have found in Buroker's other bo ...more
R.A. Graves
I gave this book by Linday Buroker four stars and it all comes down to character likability. Kali McAlister is a great character and is accented perfectly by Cedar, her hired protector. Together they race her homemade, steam-powered sled in a Yukon dogsled race with hopes to win the thousand dollar prize. With the Money, Kali plans to finally build the airship she’s been dreaming of and leave the Yukon for good. But even with her high powered sled, victory proves to be difficult; she is sought a ...more
Vickie Ramage
I really enjoyed this book. Although it's a short story I really got into it, everything was well written and descriptive and I could imagine all of the scenes in my head. It's set in Yukon, in the Gold Rush era, a subject I'm pretty curious about. I particularly liked the addition of many Steampunk gadgets and contraptions, particularly the guard dogs!

Kali's ambition is really inspriring and her character overall is really likeable. Her father died a while ago, leaving behind 'Flash Gold' which
Carol Preflatish
I had been wanted to read a steampunk novel for a long time and recently I found Flash Gold available for free on Kindle. When I want to try a new genre, I often go for the freebies first just in case I don't like it. With Flash Gold, I loved it.

This is a short piece of fiction, only a little over 50 pages, depending on the size font you use on your e-reader. I've always loved mechanical things and this story pulled me right in. Kali is a tinkerer having made her own rifle nearly fully automati
Chandra Leigh
I found this author through her advice about indie publishing on her blog. I now go there weekly because, though she may repeat herself, it’s very interesting and informative. She has links to the first of all her novel and novella series. Since I go there at least weekly I decided that I should give her first book a try.

Flash Gold is short at 40,000 words, but feels closer to a full length novel. At first this was a little annoying to me, but I figured it made me feel like I was getting more ba
Lanaia
Actual rating: 4.5

I wanted to read Flash Gold since before I knew it was free on Amazon, so I was very excited when I got it a few weeks ago. It was actually the first freebie I ever read, but it surely didn’t disappoint!

The story is set in 1890s. Kali is an 18 year-old girl, living by herself in a small town in Yukon, where it’s always cold. She’s got home-made mechanical dogs, home full of booby traps and hidden weapons. Her father left her a big alchemical fortune known as flash gold and many
Lillie
Read the full review at: Read My Mind

My Review:
I've previously read work by Lindsay Buroker, and have been very impressed with the amount of detail that goes into her adventure stories. Because she does write true adventure books. They might fit under genres or sub-genres like fantasy, science-fiction or steampunk, but the one thing that Buroker writes well is a rip-roaring adventure story.

FLASH GOLD is no exception.

This time around, Buroker brings to the page Kali MacAlister and her extremely
Alex Albrinck
I'm a fan of Lindsay Buroker's Emperor's Edge series. I find the combination of characters, offbeat humor, and the overarching story themes a fun and enjoyable read. So I was interested in reading her "Flash Gold" novella.

Kali McAlister lives in an 1890s era Yukon style setting. Though she's only 18, she lives alone. She's a mechanical wizard, having modified her rifle to rapid-fire, constructed robotic guard dogs, and built a dogless sled that she intends to enter in an Iditarod-style dog race.
Melissa
Another good read from this author. After reading several of her books, it's safe to say that any of Lindsay Buroker's works will mostly assure me of a highly satisfying steampunk story.

Kali McAlister is the daughter of an inventor, and she' not bad herself at creating things, especially with the Flash Gold-- her father's secret formula that powers her inventions to function better. But the whole town thinks she's a witch, and a bit crazy. With only 1 friend around, Kali intends to leave the bit
Steampunk, New We...: Has anyone read the Flash Gold novellas? 7 17 Sep 20, 2013 11:44AM
Indie Book Club: Steampunk BOTM for September: Flash Gold 31 32 Sep 26, 2012 07:59AM
  • The Burning Sky (Halcyon #1)
  • The 19 Dragons
  • Lady of Devices (Magnificent Devices, #1)
  • Like Clockwork
  • Photographs & Phantoms (Gaslight Chronicles, #2)
  • Revenge of the Mad Scientist (Airship Adventure Chronicles #1)
  • Viridis (Viridis, #1)
  • All the Paths of Shadow (Paths of Shadow, #1)
  • Badlands (Badlands #1)
  • And They Called Her Spider (Bartleby and James Adventures - Galvanic Century - Book 1)
  • Agatha H and the Airship City (Girl Genius)
  • Tarnished (The St. Croix Chronicles, #1)
  • The Hunter (The Legend Chronicles, #1)
  • The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (Steampunk Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The Steampunk Detective
  • Clockwork Fagin (Free story from Steampunk!)
  • Timepiece (Timepiece #1)
  • The Doomsday Vault (Clockwork Empire, #1)
I'm a professional blogger by day and an indie fantasy author by night. Evenings belong to the dogs, tennis, and books.
More about Lindsay Buroker...
The Emperor's Edge (The Emperor's Edge, #1) Dark Currents (The Emperor's Edge, #2) Deadly Games (The Emperor's Edge, #3) Conspiracy (The Emperor's Edge, #4) Blood and Betrayal (The Emperor's Edge, #5)