Start by marking “Sleepwalking in Paradise” as Want to Read:
Sleepwalking in Paradise
read book

Sleepwalking in Paradise

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  9 reviews
San Francisco in the 1990s. High tech startups, IPOs, stock option millionaires. Once the cradle of the Beat Generation, the Haight Ashbury, the Aquarian Revolution, Gay Liberation, Bike Messenger Chic, San Francisco finds itself fighting for its own soul, a struggle reflected in the life of Tommy Delacroix, an alternative journalist turned corporate copywriter who has tra ...more
Paperback
Published (first published June 30th 2014)

Andrew Dugas
Jul 15, 2014 Andrew Dugas rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This book SUCKS. I should know, since I wrote it. Sure, some people like it. Hell, some people LOVE it. But they're mostly people I know or have paid off or threatened with physical violence or worse.

You shouldn't listen to them. You shouldn't let other people's opinions sway you in either direction. How well can you trust these reviews -- yes, even this one -- anyway?

Have you ever picked up a book because a friend raved about it? And then you hated it? And the next time you saw that person, yo
Alvin
Perishingly few American novels focus on the single most glaring aspect of contemporary American society: the appallingly large and ever-widening gap between the haves and the have-nots. Sleepwalking in Paradise bravely bucks the trend, delivering a suspenseful, well-written, and occasionally wry story with social inequality (and its odious effect on the human soul) at its very heart. Lovers of San Francisco and San Franciscans will appreciate that the city is deftly portrayed, from top to botto ...more
James Warner
Cynicism struggles with faith in this story of public relations versus miracles, of the scheming brain versus the urgency of experiential shamanism. The quest of Tommy Delacroix to explain a random act of faith healing takes him from the streets to the boardrooms to the maternity wards of the San Francisco Bay Area, leading him to figure out what's really important in life, in a compelling tale of corporate intrigue and personal self-discovery.
Matt Stewart
Andy Dugas has concocted a mouthwatering San Francisco stew, mixing meaty local characters with flavorful dotcom insanity and spicing with a delicious dash of Bay Area magic. It's the Unofficial Meal of Paradise.
Ransom Stephens
Sleepwalking in Paradise is redeeming and funny, pertinent and modern. It's a great ride through modern America with a spiritual twist that brings to mind Richard Bach at his Illusions-best.
Marty Beaudet
Jul 07, 2014 Marty Beaudet rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: San Franciscans, humor fans, those who like quirky characters
Recommended to Marty by: Matt Stewart
I was sorry to finish this book, it was so much fun! An entertaining read with a clever premise, humorously told by a clearly skilled writer. I particularly appreciated the setting, as San Francisco was my home for 13 years. In fact, the protagonist lived in my former neighborhood, and much of the action took place in an office building in the Financial District, on the corner where I worked for 7 years. Even the time period corresponded to the time I lived there. I felt right at home! Anyone wh ...more
Byron Hatcher
It did not suck- it oozed.... (delightfully) pungent characters and a well-paced plot. I found it reminiscent of other favorites, particularly 'Illusions' by R Bach and 'Lamb' by Christopher Moore. I eagerly await his next submission.
David
My experience with Goodreads 1st Reads and books that I've won have been hit or miss. This is a hit, a solid hit. Dugas takes the magic of San Francisco of the 1960s and transports it to the late 1990s, when the Bay Area could use another dose of it. His writing is solid, rarely self-conscious, and the story moves along at a swift pace. The characters are well drawn and easy to imagine, especially Tommy and Marta. My only criticism, and it's slight given the scope of what Dugas has accomplished ...more
Steven
There are innumerable good things to say about this novel. It operates on so many levels--magical-adventure, "San Francisco" novel (taking place in my old 'hood), exploration of big-city socio-politics, and then spiritual/personal evolution. And it achieves all these things in a thoroughly entertaining and page-turning way. There are very few books that I can say have permanently altered my day-to-day perceptions of the world, but this is one of them.
Santhosh Sundararaman
Santhosh Sundararaman marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Teri Skultety
Teri Skultety marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Andrew Dugas
Nov 17, 2014 Andrew Dugas added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Clare Scanlan
Clare Scanlan marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Shabbirr Auhammud
Shabbirr Auhammud marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Joy Hale
Joy Hale marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Jennette
Jennette marked it as to-read
Elizabeth Lee
Elizabeth Lee marked it as to-read
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Lalaynya
Lalaynya marked it as to-read
Lauren Disney
Lauren Disney marked it as to-read
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Velda
Velda marked it as to-read
Stephanie Robertson
Stephanie Robertson marked it as to-read
Krys
Krys marked it as to-read
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Tamarae
Tamarae marked it as to-read
Chantel
Chantel marked it as to-read
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
New Edition from Vox Nova/Numina Press 1 1 Jul 15, 2014 08:18AM
  • Leonardo's Brain: Understanding da Vinci's Creative Genius
  • Only Little Prayer You Need: The Shortest Route to a Life of Joy, Abundance, and Peace of Mind
  • Blind in Justice
  • The Inner Path: A Guide to Living a More Mindful, Fulfilling and Spiritual Life
  • Wink of an Eye
  • The Shadowed Manse
  • To Do the Deal: A Novel in Stories
  • Fearless Passion: Find the Courage to Do What you Love
  • Indiscretion: Volumes 1-4
  • Horror Stories: Classic Tales from Hoffmann to Hodgson
  • The Answer To Everything
  • On the Other Hand: The Little Anthology of Big Questions
  • Earth's Requiem (Earth Reclaimed #1)
  • Cheesemonger
  • Infinity's Reach
  • Tangled Roots
  • The Monkey, the Moon & Maybe: How to Embrace Change & Live Fearlessly
  • Doable: The Girls' Guide to Accomplishing Just About Anything
Andrew Dugas's fiction and poetry have appeared in LITnIMAGE, Fiction 365, the SoMa Literary Review, Unlikely Stories 2.0, edifice WRECKED, Bound Off Books, Poems Niederngasse, and elsewhere.

A graduate of Ithaca College, he is also a two-year veteran of Cornell's Creative Writing Workshop.

Sleepwalking in Paradise, a San Francisco novel about old money, the new economy, and the Second Coming, wa
More about Andrew O. Dugas...
Permanent Record Hangover Pretzel @haiku_andy collected