Start by marking “Shtetl Days” as Want to Read:
Shtetl Days

Shtetl Days

Professional actors Veit Harlan and his wife Kristi are happy citizens of the prosperous, triumphant Reich. It's been over a century since the War of Retribution cleaned up Europe, long enough that now curious tourists flock to the painstakingly recreated "village" of Wawolnice, where--along with dozens of colleagues--Veit and Kristi re-enact the daily life of the ...more
Published April 14th 2011 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Shtetl Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shtetl Days

[Name Redacted]
Powerful. Moving. Subtle. Alternate-history like I've never read before, with an emphasis on the loss of personal privacy and the conflict between the performed and the lived. I've never really given Harry Turtledove a chance before, but I will be after reading this.
Molly
Nov 23, 2016 Molly rated it liked it
At first I wasn't impressed. It seemed like a complete copycat of an Isaac Bashevis Singer novel. But then, when the twist came, and there were plenty, it turned into something I didn't want to end. I was blown away. I am now completely invested in reading more of Harry Turtledove's work.
Jeremy Cox
Oct 19, 2016 Jeremy Cox rated it really liked it
The Nazis win, and wipe out the Jews. Does their memory die out completely?
Corey
Aug 28, 2012 Corey rated it really liked it
I'm not normally a huge fan of Harry Turtledove. His books are often too dense and picky.

But with Shtetl Days, he hit a home run.

First, Turtledove has to be congratulated for his execution of the short story. Too often, short stories just end up being mini-novels, which is not what they're supposed to be. Turtledove handles the format well.

As for the story itself, Shtetl Days sets itself apart from others in the genre for the amount of thought you put in as you read it. It's certainly origina
Marco
Aug 13, 2014 Marco rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
An intriguing "alternative history" short novel, set in a world where Hitler won the second world war. It is a moving story of survival of "Jews" in a world where every single one of them has been killed.
It is the story of two professional actors, Veit Harlan and his wife Kristi, two happy citizens of the prosperous, triumphant Reich. It's been over a century since the War of Retribution cleaned up Europe, long enough that now curious tourists flock to the painstakingly recreated "village" of Wa
Autumn
Another gem from Harry Turtledove. I can't seem to be drawn into his more fantasy based series, but I love his alternate history ones. This was a short story (took me far longer to read than it should have) but it was amazing and left me wanting to see more of this world he created.

The basis for the story was a Nazi victory in WWII and after the fact they created shtetls filled with actors who immerse themselves in the life and culture that the Nazis had destroyed- think modern day King's Landin
Nick
Harry Turtledove's best writing are his short stories. He pulps out his novelizations, but puts his sweat and blood into his short stories, which are overlooked. Shtetl Days explores the following: if the Judea God exists, and the Nazis had won, and had completed global genocide of the Jews, what would have happened? The backdrop, 100 years after Hitler won, is a kind of Disneyland recreation of a Polish village from the early 20th century, complete with a Jewish community. Actors fill the ...more
Rebecca Huston
May 09, 2011 Rebecca Huston rated it really liked it
A very disturbing novella set in a century after WWII -- the War of Retribution -- where Hitler and the Germans won. Caution, not for the sensitive but the more about Judaism or Yiddish that you know, the more this story will bother you.
Kinsey_m
Jul 29, 2014 Kinsey_m rated it liked it
There is little I can say without being spoilery. A nice spin on the holocaust. Nevertheless, reading this story during a period in which Israel is bombing Gaza, as I have, gives it a whole new dimension.
Brentman99
Dec 22, 2013 Brentman99 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who love alternative history.
This was quite an interesting book. I love the idea that Aryan actors, paid by the Third Reich to be enactors and keep alive the history of the vanquished Jews, start adapting the life of Jews. Very descriptive and a good read.
Lisa
Sep 10, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This is a short story, or a short novel. A quick read. Very moving.

Don't read the other GoodReads reviews because some of them contain spoilers without a warning.
Netchess
Amazing novelette. Kudos to Harry Turtledove for this one. An amazing story of persistence against all odds with a real O'Henry type ending.
Sue
Sep 11, 2014 Sue rated it liked it
Shelves: f-and-sf
Typical Harry Turtledove writing. I liked the way the story starts out - quite misleading compared to where it goes eventually!
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
A clever alternate history short story. Not much to say that wouldn't spoil the story, but liked a lot.
Stella Foggon
Stella Foggon rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Jason Laque
Jason Laque rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Jessica L Tuinila
Jessica L Tuinila rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2015
Ron Gunzburger
Ron Gunzburger rated it it was ok
Apr 12, 2016
Jessie
Jessie rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Arcanian
Arcanian rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2014
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2012
Niranjan Dalaya
Niranjan Dalaya rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2014
Michael Mclendon
Michael Mclendon rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2013
Wink
Wink rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2012
Barb Koumjian
Barb Koumjian rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Anna Kļaviņa
Anna Kļaviņa rated it it was ok
Dec 15, 2015
Donamarie Rawls lawshe
Donamarie Rawls lawshe rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2014
Zach
Zach rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2013
John Harold-Rysavy Pieper
John Harold-Rysavy Pieper rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2014
Dan Hopkins
Dan Hopkins rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dr Harry Norman Turtledove is an American novelist, who has produced a sizeable number of works in several genres including alternate history, historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction.

Harry Turtledove attended UCLA, where he received a Ph.D. in Byzantine history in 1977.

Turtledove has been dubbed "The Master of Alternate History". Within this genre he is known both for creating original sce
More about Harry Turtledove...