Start by marking “Eat Right 4 Your Type” as Want to Read:
Eat Right 4 Your Type

Eat Right 4 Your Type

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  1,852 ratings  ·  228 reviews
Ever wonder why one diet works for one person, but not for another? After decades of research, Dr. Peter D'Adamo has discovered the role one's blood type plays in determining which foods are best for an individual's diet. Eat Right 4 Your Type teaches readers how to optimize their types to achieve the greatest state of health and well-being.
Published April 2nd 1998 by Century (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Eat Right 4 Your Type, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eat Right 4 Your Type

Nick Fagerlund
This book came up in a conversation with Kathleen before she went east — a relative of hers had gotten significant benefit from following some or another nugget of counterintuitive advice from it, which sort of thing is perfect grist for our style of shit-shooting. Anyway, I thought the premise sounded too weird to ignore, so I checked it out from the library.

Basically, D’Adamo says that your blood type determines (or is at least the primary influence on) your metabolism and your ability to dige
Jodi
Some of the concepts in this book are not fully scientifically supportable, but the diet may still make lots and lots of people feel a whole lot better and attain a much greater level of health! These two things are not mutually exclusive.

Reasons the claims made about the scientific merit of the exact food lists provided for each blood type are unconvincing (on the whole) to me include:

1. I have read more than half a dozen detailed and methodical explanations of why the scientific concepts in th
Jonny Cox
The bible never mentions apples. The Book of Genesis only refers to the fruit from the tree of knowledge and I believe that Eve caused the fall of man with a tomato; it is the Devil's fruit. All my life I felt like an oddity because I so detest the gooey red mess until I read this book. D'Adamo explains in the intro that type A blood groups can't digest the Devil's fruit because of insufficient stomach acid. This made sense so I read the rest of the book and gave up milk. WithIn 72 hours I felt ...more
Latiffany
I don't think it is fair for me to write that I read this book because in actuality, I skimmed it. A coworker suggested this book about two years ago. I immediately purchased it and went to the doctor to confirm my blood type. Shortly after, the same coworker said that her doctor informed her that the book is junk science. I never told my doctor why I needed to know my blood type, so I can't 100% concur.

I will agree that there is no way that I am limiting myself to foods outlined in this book fo
Agne Jakubauskaite
Well... I finally finished reading this book only because my library wouldn't let me keep it any longer. I started reading it because I heard a lot of different opinions about Blood Type Diet and wanted to know more about it. While reading this book, I actually tried to avoid foods which are harmful for my blood type. Since I felt pretty healthy before this diet anyways, I did not experience any significant benefits.

This January, a new study came out, which found no scientific evidence for the B
Ryan
Feb 27, 2009 Ryan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nutritionists; health seekers
Ebookwormy
The idea of this work, that your blood type determines what you should eat and how you should exercise, is compelling, so I borrowed it from a friend.

Of course, I started by skimming my own blood type, and I found it to be much like reading a horoscope in a Sunday paper. Sure, there were some things that seemed to fit, but there were also some things that were the exact opposite of my experience. I laughed out loud when I read that certain Types are subject to heart disease and cancer! Oh reall
Starlight
Jan 09, 2009 Starlight rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in health, easy fitness and personal improvement
Recommended to Starlight by: Amy L'Heureux
This is one of the first books that I feel is not really a "diet" book based on "a shift in human consumption" but is based on scientific, blood-related equations that happen when you eat food appropriate or inappropriate for your type. Additionally, after reading it, I didn't put it down and cry over all the things I couldn't eat. I actually related very much to the foods on the lists - for example, when a food is listed to avoid for my type, I usually responded with "yeah, I don't really like ...more
Finbar
An interesting approach to diet and lifestyle, but a bit too generalized to be effective. I thought this would be a helpful tool to tweak my eating habits, but it reads more like a "fad diet" book. There are a few effective arguments and good advise to be found in here, but it just has too much pseudo-jargon to be useful. This book just didn't resonate with me.
Josh Mccoy
Some helpful information but its actually much like a horiscope - general enough to apply to nearly anyone. I was actually really excited by the book and its premise but after doing some research I found out that Dr. D'Adamo is passing on information as truth when its actually scientifically false. And it's not just small facts in his work, it is a lot including his historical information about the blood types and how nutrients are absorbed into the body from our food. I was really disheartened ...more
Tortla
I mostly just read the introduction and the chapter on my blood type. But from what I did read, I got a pretty strong impression of the type of advice that was being dispensed.

Basically, it's like vaguely-racist astrology. The ideas behind the advice were mostly sound. (Including suggestions to eat more of certain fruits and vegetables, and to avoid others, with reference to pseudo-scientific reasoning for how these foods affect the bodies of certain blood types and thereby affect the way they f
Maarten Koller
The author tells stories instead of backing up his ideas with science. No references at all in this book. Unless research confirms the ideas of the author, that is all they are, ideas and not facts. Also consider the fact that he published his book/ideas in 1997, if it hasn't been confirmed by now, will it ever?
Virginia Jacobs
Okay, first, some clarification: I did not read this entire book. I read through my blood type, O, and I perused my husband's blood type, A.

This book started out a little scientific-y, basically arguing the premise that if your blood fuels your body, then what you eat should fuel your blood. And, as we know there are different blood types, so it stands to reason that they could be fueled differently.

I picked up this book for a variety of reasons, including that I'm trying to lose a little weigh
Indi Martin
Sep 16, 2009 Indi Martin rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: if it keeps up this way, everyone.
Shelves: read-was-ok
I hate "diet books." I am not really big on self-help books either.

The detoxification retreat I went to recommended this book very highly - in fact, it is the only nutrition plan they recommend. Thus, I read the book while there, and wrote down the pointers for my blood type (Type 0) in my notebook. I also read about a thousand reviews of the diet, from physicians to proponents, skeptics to housewives who have been following it.

Interesting.

The theory sounds like a load of crap. Blood type, as ma
Nancy
I know some people find this book to be great, but I find it to be hooey quackery. Lots of contradictions and "maybes" and "possiblies" and "not everyones".

Apparently, I'm supposed to eat tofu, soy cheese (which is not food, in my opinion), walk, and do yoga. If that's my existence, I might as well just keel over and die. I'd dig the hole first, but I'm not supposed to do any strenuous activities :)

I am supposed to eat peanut butter and pineapple, though. YUM!!!!

I must be one of the "exception
Susan
After reading this book I can't tell you how dangerous I think it is. If there was a negative rating I would have chosen it.
The idea behind this book is that certain blood types should only eat certain foods and completely omit other foods from their diets. I can see a whole hatfull of problems with that theory and that's what this is really. Theory. Tell me when and where in the history of life that there is any proof or evidence to support this?
I've heard of some close friends that have subjec
Maria
I've dipped in and out of this book for a long time, but never read it cover to cover. Definitely very interesting, makes you think a lot about the food you are eating and in my experience seems to work quite well (at least for me). However I did find the explanation for importance of blood type a bit lacking (the first few chapters) and I still feel it is not quite as simple as there being 4 blood types and 4 ways of eating. Within each type is further complexity based on your own genetic make ...more
Karen
Oct 03, 2010 Karen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who want to be healthy
Fascinating theory that blood types determine body chemistry and therefore what types of foods agree with our systems and those that essentially act like poisons to us. Problem: may require lifestyle changes if the foods you love to eat are on the "Avoid" list. A friend reports miraculous results including 30 pound weight loss and improvements in other ailments such as digestion, skin and hair issues. Why aren't we taught these things? Why don't doctors pay attention to these things? Perhaps we ...more
Christa
May 07, 2008 Christa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are interested in a different take on dieting
I picked this book up out of curiosity. I have seen many different varieties of diet, and most of them just have not ever grabbed me like this did. As I was reading over the eating plan for my blood type, I found that things that are recommended to avoid are many of the things I just do not like - and I never knew why. Things that I crave are on the beneficial list. It resonated with me. I am making changes and hope that it helps.

I hate to take this out of my "currently reading" portion...as it
Rose
I'm sorry to see so many giving in to doctor's claims of quakery and not using some common sense. This idea of blood types and how foods affect people based on that has come at a time in my food evolution where it makes absolute sense. I've studied and experienced so many theories of food-styles--the most recent being the raw food diet. Within them is always the catch of how some foods work better or worse for different people. So why is that? This seems to be a poosible answer.

I find that many
Susan
Interesting book. It confirmed what I already knew...that I am not cut out to be vegetarian. Apparently my blood type needs red meat! But when I got to the beverage section and it said I should avoid coffee and dairy products I stopped reading. I mean really? No coffee? What would the point of getting up in the morning be then? And no dairy? I eat Golden Spoon frozen yogurt every single day and I love milk! But still an interesting book on blood types.
Sue
The book which explains - perhaps - why some people thrive on a vegetarian diet, and others on a high-protein one. If the theory is true, the book is a sensible and practical one, with good ideas for increasing health by eating according to blood group. Even if the theory is entirely wrong (as is possible) there are still some good suggestions for general health eating.
Linda
This book made complete sense to me. I think it explains why different people react to the same thing in different ways. It also resonates with my belief that we need to look at what we feed our bodies rather than simply rushing to treat symptoms of problems with deeper underlying causes, chiefly everyday diet and lifestyle.
Janice
Basically this book is about eating right for your blood type. Obviously it helps to know your blood type before you read the book. It makes sense to me that just because you eat specific types of food does not actually mean that you should. It interested me to know a bit more about why I have some health problems based on the foods that I eat and I felt it was a very informative read. Also in retrospect it does make you think more about your health and what you can do for yourself to make your ...more
Gerhard
Very interesting. Now to put into practice what it says and see what happens. But only after Christmas.....LOL
Zena
This book sure makes sense after reading it, I always wondered if we all should possibly eat the same or a different diet than one another. Eat right for your type confirmed that for me. Whenever you were blood type O or A -they both thrived on complete different diets, its so strange to think that our bodies react to different foods not forgetting some could be poison to one and medicine to another. There is a lot of personal opinion on what foods work for different blood types, and from wht I' ...more
Lenore
Horrible. I am a type O and can't eat anything, but meat.
Jessica
Sep 03, 2007 Jessica rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nobody!!!
Whack! Pseudo-science! Bonk!!!!
Melissa
I am not sure that I agree with everything he presents in his book (especially how blood type effects personality), but very much of D'Adamo's research and finds make sense to me. I was very surprised to find that he was spot on with my blood type as far as what foods I can and can't eat (I am lactose intolerant, he advises O's shouldn't eat dairy, I can't drink caffeine because how my body reacts to it and that is another big no no). I started implementing the diet he suggests for my blood type ...more
LizG
After once again encountering serious digestive issues despite years of choosing healthy options (very little wheat, virtually no dairy, no caffeine, no soft drinks, choosing whole foods vs. packaged, limiting sugar etc.) and several cleanses, I'm intrigued by the idea that part of the key to my challenges may be to understand how blood type affects digestion. I'm willing to give it a go -- am in fact giving it a go -- but do so with some caveats to D'Adamo's approach.

The information on blood t
  • The Biggest Loser 30-Day Jump Start: Lose Weight, Get in Shape, and Start Living the Biggest Loser Lifestyle Today!
  • Eat More, Weigh Less: Dr. Dean Ornish's Life Choice Program for Losing Weight Safely While Eating Abundantly
  • The Blood-Type Diet: Your Personalized Diet and Exercise Program
  • The New Atkins for a New You Cookbook: 200 Simple and Delicious Low-Carb Recipes in 30 Minutes or Less
  • Staying Healthy with the Seasons: 21st-Century Edition
  • The Sonoma Diet: Trimmer Waist, Better Health in Just 10 Days!
  • The Complete Book of Juicing: Your Delicious Guide to Youthful Vitality
  • Food and Healing
  • The pH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health
  • 500 Low-Carb Recipes: 500 Recipes, from Snacks to Dessert, That the Whole Family Will Love
  • Fish: The Complete Guide to Buying and Cooking
  • Body For Life: 12 Weeks to Mental and Physical Strength
  • Healthy Aging
  • The New Age Herbalist: How to Use Herbs for Healing, Nutrition, Body Care, and Relaxation
  • The Abs Diet: The Six-Week Plan to Flatten Your Stomach and Keep You Lean for Life
  • The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth about What You Should Eat and Why
  • Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future
  • Vegan Express
The Eat Right 4 Your Type the complete Blood Type Encyclopedia Live Right 4 Your Type Cook Right 4 Your Type: The Practical Kitchen Companion to Eat Right 4 Your Type Blood Type A: Food, Beverage and Supplement Lists from Eat Right for Your Type Diet Sehat Golongan Darah O