Start by marking “A letto, bambini!” as Want to Read:
A letto, bambini!

A letto, bambini!

Contains a catalogue of desirable beds, ranging from an elephant bed for hot weather to a tank bed which can travel anywhere and a bouncable bed - surely the most desirable of all - which can bounce you "over the moon to Timbuktoo". By the author of "Ariel" and "The Bell Jar".
Published 1994 by Mondadori (first published January 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about A letto, bambini!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A letto, bambini!

Feb 07, 2012 Miriam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, picture
This was a favorite bed time read, many years before I ever knew anything else by or about Sylvia Plath. I so wanted one of these magical beds, especially the submarine bed or the snack bed or the flying bed or... well, they're all pretty awesome. Plath even made the hammock sound special and enticing.

Zaheer Khan
Jan 29, 2013 Zaheer Khan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great imagination!

Most Beds are Beds
For sleeping or resting
But the best Beds are much
More interesting

If we have nothing better
To do
A Facebook Bed
Is for me and for you

This lovely little bed
Is specially for you
If you check Facebook mobile
Every minute or two

With its four wheels
You may even move around
You can chatter or clatter
Or change your background

If you post braggy updates
In an effort to woo
Then the Facebook Bed
Is the place for Hullabaloo

A Facebook Bed
Has a touch screen
That yo
Lisa Vegan
Mar 09, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bedtime and any time reading
Recommended to Lisa by: Miriam
Yes, this is by THE Sylvia Plath, but it’s one I’d never heard of until recently. I’m glad her children had/have it. It shows another side of her, and I think shows what a fun mother and person she could be, and just highlights the waste that was her premature death. Now, her poem on its own is whimsical and fun. But for me what makes this book and the wonderful illustrations. They bring the poem’s words to life. Very enjoyable! This would make a fine bedtime book, as long as the little ones are ...more
Janet Ford Ford
Apr 23, 2013 Janet Ford Ford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my all time favorite picture book as a child. Unfortunately it has been out of print since 1989, so copies are hard to come by. Sylvia Plath also wrote the Bell Jar and rumor has it she wrote this book for her own children.

The book is filled with the most fantastic descriptions and illustrations of beds built for outlandish adventures, fantasies, and dreams. It just really sets a child up to have beautiful dreams.

If it were still in print, I'd give a copy at every baby shower I attend
David Gallagher
Wonder if Dallas Clayton's An Awesome Book was inspired by this - they share similarities in content and style. I can just imagine kid Dallas falling asleep to this book; as, I'm sure, have tens of other children. Also reminded me of Dr. Seuss at times - lightly. Gorgeous text to match gorgeous illustration - Plath can do just anything.
Who knew that Sylvia Plath wrote a children's bedtime book? Not me! Published in 1976, and illustrated by Emily Arnold McCully, it's quite delightful. The rhyming appealed, and between the descriptions and the pictures I wanted all of those fun beds - particularly the elephant bed. This could be fun for pajama storytime with an older group.
B. Morya
May 12, 2016 B. Morya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always been a little fascinated with Sylvia Plath, so when I recently read she had written some children's stories I was excited and curious. This imaginative tale of lively beds was fun to read aloud to my son and makes a perfect bedtime story. The illustrations brought to life each scene perfectly. I hope to find a copy to purchase.
Amy Paget
I was very interested to see how Sylvia Plath would approach a childrens' bedtime story! This delightful bedtime rhyme illustrated by Emily Arnold McCully is long out of print, but very enjoyable. ...'in a Spottable Bed/it never matters/where jam rambles/ where paint splatters!"
Dec 30, 2012 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mike by: Shannon
Shelves: poetry, shannon
As read by Shannon. Excellent! ;)
Oct 23, 2016 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

especial y extraña

y contenga sorpresas.
Camas de diversas
medidas y formas,

NO sólo una blanca cunita
de sábanas remetidas.
Buenas noches chiquita.
¡Apaga la luz de tu camita!

El Libro de Cama, Sylvia Plath
My brother got this book as a present when he was a baby. We had the first edition (apparently) because the illustration on the cover has three kids snuggled under the covers and the first page illustration is a little different than the 198os version.
This is basically the best ever children's book. The illustrations are wonderful and bizarre. Apparently there is a version with Quentin Blake as the illustrator. His illustrations are also wonderful and bizarre but in an utterly different way.
A f
Alejandro Morales
El acontecimiento editorial del 2014 en nuestro idioma, la aparición de "El libro de las camas" de Sylvia Plath, ilustrado por Quentin Blake y publicado por los Libros del Zorro Rojo. Disfruté su lectura desde la primera hasta la última página, desde la portada hasta la contraportada. Es, desde mi modesto punto de vista, una joya de libro que esperaba desde hace mucho tiempo (P.D.: Hasta donde sé las ediciones en inglés de este libro están agotadas incluso en la actualidad).
Aug 15, 2015 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quentin Blake's illustrations frame this humourous poem by Sylvia Plath and reading Blake's "The Laureate's Party" led me to this re-read. I stumbled upon this years ago while rummaging through a bookstore delete bin. It seemed incongruous to me at the time that Plath should be...well...funny. But "The Bed Book" is light-hearted and what I suspect will be one of the few Plath poems you could share with your kids as a bedtime story...
Mme. Bookling ~
Sep 18, 2007 Mme. Bookling ~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my dearest friends bought me this book as a gift. It is a first edition of Sylvia Plath's children's books. It was so well-written and surprising. I often mistakenly make the very error Plath was seeking to correct in that I put her in a box of darkness. She was such a multi-faceted woman, full of whimsy and genius. I feel she and I will become very good friends.
Gina Morgan
Mar 04, 2013 Gina Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a child, delightful. As an adult, the sort of thing I will one day read to my children.

A charming verse that is thoroughly readable but never twee or overtly predictable, unlike lots of verse for children. I especially like the use of internal rhyme and half-rhyme, a quality she brought to her adult work that I'm pleased to see mirrored her pieces for young audiences.
Apr 25, 2016 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably my favorite children's book of all time - the hypnotic rhythm of it, the fanciful ideas about different kinds of beds and the way to make bedtime a real fantasy adventure... Illustrations are fantastic as well. I never would have imagined that THIS Sylvia Plath is THE Sylvia Plath - what a bright light in the midst of all her darkness.
Dec 16, 2009 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The above is not the edititon I have. My edition was illustrated by Emily Arnold McCully and is the first American edition of 1976. Condition is poor, many page have crayon markings. Owned by Elizabeth B. Coyne and Caragh M. Mclaughlin.
Oct 13, 2009 Lucy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I didn't know Sylvia Plath wrote children's stories! The poem/story was fun and imaginative, but what really caught my attention was the warm and whimsical illustrations by Emily Arnold McCully.
Dec 29, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shannon by: Mike
Best Christmas present ever!!;) I love Sylvia Plath and this book showed me a different side of her. Great children's book, but I also enjoyed it as an adult.

Thanks, Michael. ;)
Ana  Lévano
Jul 24, 2016 Ana Lévano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a beautiful poem that shows a different side of Plath. Love all her poetry. Also, contains beautiful illustrations from Quentin Blake, who has illustrate other of my favorites too! loved it.
Santino Prinzi
Jan 10, 2014 Santino Prinzi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is literally only one poem, but the illustrations add much to the poem. A very quick, enjoyable read. Definitely one to find in the library like I have rather than purchase.
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i want to live in this and that's probably a comment on my mental health. don't read this to your children it's cruel to taunt them with the possibility of a submarine bed.
Nov 06, 2014 K M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a delightful, whimsical book- what child wouldn't love a Snack Bed, or a Tank Bed with treads that can take it through a cobbledy town?
May 18, 2008 Clementine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Plath mystique aside, this is an imaginative book. The rhythm is surprisingly stumbly at times but still makes it fun.
Mar 31, 2016 بشرى rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really really enjoyed reading it. It is fun sprinkled with fantasy.
I read somewhere that systvia wrote it for her children, I wonder how come she killed herself??
Mar 30, 2015 Gabrielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: smalls
Lovely and whimsical (Plath?) with beautiful illustrations. Good read for emerging readers with big words (propelled, submarine) mixed in for a fun challenge.
Bridgid rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2014
izzy_my rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2016
Xisca rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2015
  • Selected Poems
  • Anna Akhmatova (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • The Haunting of Sylvia Plath
  • The Mitten: An Old Ukrainian Folktale
  • The Goodnight Train
  • American Isis: The Life and Art of Sylvia Plath
  • Lover of Unreason: Assia Wevill, Sylvia Plath's Rival and Ted Hughes' Doomed Love
  • Ariel's Gift: Ted Hughes, Sylvia Plath, and the Story of Birthday Letters
  • Hedgehog in the Fog
  • Wintering: A Novel of Sylvia Plath
  • Holocaust Poetry
  • Your Own, Sylvia: A Verse Portrait of Sylvia Plath
Sylvia Plath was an American poet, novelist, and short story writer.

Known primarily for her poetry, Plath also wrote a semi-autobiographical novel, The Bell Jar, under the pseudonym Victoria Lucas. The book's protagonist, Esther Greenwood, is a bright, ambitious student at Smith College who begins to experience a mental breakdown while interning for a fashion magazine in New York. The plot paralle
More about Sylvia Plath...