Start by marking “Sentenced to Death (A Booktown Mystery #5) ” as Want to Read:
Sentenced to Death (A Booktown Mystery #5)

Sentenced to Death (A Booktown Mystery #5) (Booktown Mystery #5)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  1,957 ratings  ·  164 reviews
As the owner of Stoneham, New Hampshire's mystery bookstore Haven't Got a Clue, Tricia Miles can figure out whodunit in the latest bestseller way before she gets to the last page. But these days, Tricia is using her sleuthing skills for much more than the books on her shelves . . .

It’s Founders' Day in Stoneham and the whole village has turned out to celebrate in the squa
Published June 7th 2011 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published April 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sentenced to Death (A Booktown Mystery #5), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sentenced to Death (A Booktown Mystery #5)

Drebbles
Bookstore owner Tricia Miles is devastated when a close friend is killed in an accident. Well, the police say it was an accident, but Tricia isn’t convinced – the more she learns about her friend’s life the more she is convinced it was murder. While Tricia is investigating the murder, things are changing around her and she begins to wonder if it is time that she too makes some changes.

“Sentenced to Death” is the well done fifth book in Lorna Barrett’s “Booktown Mystery” cozy mystery series – a s
Cathy DuPont
Coming off a Vachss ride into the depths of despair of the human race, I needed some little ‘cozy mystery’ to get lost in. Cozy mystery is my definition of a 'no brainer' which I’m sure many cozy mystery fans would emphatically object to.

Trish, owner of the mystery bookstore “Haven’t Got a Clue” in Stoneham, New Hampshire, solves another mystery she’s not supposed to get or be involved in.

And her romance life which is important to her is picking up finally with an officer of the court, a cop,
Fred
Sentenced is the 5th book in the "A Booktown Mystery" series. I'm a mystery reader that enjoys being told a story that's not cumbersome to read and has a nice mix of mystery, humor and enjoyable characters. This book and series has all of them.

It is the Founder's Day weekend in Stoneham and a big celebration has been planned. As Deborah Black owner of The Home Domestic shop, is ready to begin the activities as soon as a private aircraft pulling a banner leaves the area. On it's last pass it's en
Michelle Randall
A Booktown Mystery is probably one of my favorite series, and so when I was able to get my hands on book number 5, Sentenced to Death, of course I was all over reading it!

It;s Founder's Day, a celebration that Bob Kelly had cooked up to drive more tourist traffic into town and promote the town. Of course Bob couldn't be bothered to do the leg work or give the opening speech, so Tricia's good friend, Deborah Black is doing it all. There is a plane pulling a banner behind it that is circling all a
Ellen
All I can say is it's wonderful to find an author you can rely on.
Characters grown with situations. Relationships grow with amateur sleuthing. AS usual Lorna gave me believable characters that interacted with each on a level that was realistic and not overblown. This is a favorite series of mine and thankfully this author has not written herself into a corner. Situations leave openings for further development. A REAL COZY.

Characters: Tricia Miles-owner of Stoneham, New Hampshire's Haven't Got A
Cheryl Landmark
This was another well-done mystery in the Booktown series. Tricia Miles continues to grow as a character, as do the others in the small town of Stoneham. Tricia is not always a nice person or the most tactful when questioning people during her sleuthing, but I think that's what makes her so relatable. She has human flaws and less than desirable attributes at times and isn't some perfect super woman solving mysteries right and left. The relationship between her and her sister, Angelica, is comple ...more
Lynn
I have read all of the Booktown Mysteries by Lorna Barrett and I must say this one is a little disappointing. Almost as if this is the start of a shift in the series and the author was not exactly certain how to take those steps of change.

Tricia, who is a character I love (how could a librarian not love a book seller?) seems to be in a quandary about the men in her life: her ex-husband sends her expensive presents, one past boy friend makes innuendos even though they have broken up long ago, and
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
We have all had 'bad' days, but, the horrific day that our sleuth, Tricia is forced to endure beats them all. Tricia encounters the dramatic and chilling death of a close (or she had thought close,)friend, then her loyal (or was she?)head clerk quits, finally, the man she hopes to grow closer to, announces he may be leaving Stoneham for a new life/job. Honestly, what is a girl to do?

If you found yourself holding your breath as you just read the top paragraph, let me tell you that is nothing to w
Patty
I truly enjoy my time spent in "Booktown". I like the characters and the development of the relationship between Tricia and Angelica is always interesting.

When the Founders Day picnic is just opening and Tricia's friend Deborah Black is getting ready to make a welcoming speech, tragedy happens. A small plane pulling a banner announcing the festivities crashes into the gazebo, instantly killing Deborah and the pilot.

Tricia (of course) can't believe it was an accident and sets out to find out why
Kim
Up until this book I really have enjoyed the series as as whole. I can't figure out the "who dun it" until the end. This one,while still a good mystery, was a little too farfetched for me as a murder. A plane crash that only kills the intended victim and the pilot with no others injured or killed? I mean really! And this mysterious carry over from book 4 had better be addressed soon, or I am going to lose interest. As for Bob, I royally hope he gets whats coming to him. Angelica,the sister is st ...more
Jessa
I love a light hearted mystery and wrongly assumed this would be one. To begin with she killed a character in a completely ridiculous manner, and threw in an early introduction to the victim's 2 year old son. The reasoning seemed to be that the lead in this story was best friends with the victim something that never translated. If we are to believe this woman watched her best friend die I would expect more grieving. As someone who did lose their best friend while I am aware that everyone grieves ...more
Sue Ross
Trish did it again. Trish and her sister Angelica have done it again. They figured out who killed the main speaker at the Founder's Day Celebration. It took a little while but they, well, Trish with a reluctant sister in tow, did. It was a fast read and very enjoyable. Of course I recommend it to anyone who enjoys Lorna's books or who just loves cozy mysteries in general. I've read all the others and will continue to read them as long as she writes them .
Nancy
Val
Another Booktown Mystery. Tricia runs a murder/mystery book shop, her sister Angelica runs the cook book shop, an eatery and is also a published writer of a cook book.

The story starts with a Founders Day celebration in the square, with Tricia's friend Deborah giving the opening speech. This turns into an horrific day when a small plane crashes into the gazebo where Deborah is standing, killing both her and the pilot. The Sheriff's Dept is convinced it is an accident but Tricia feels there is mor
Ferne
Another wonderful mystery in the "A Booktown Mystery" series by Lorna Barrett. Without a doubt, I am a fan of Tricia Miles and definitely love Miss Marple from her "Yow's" to her purrs.

There is a minor copy edit in the book that will hopefully be addressed in any upcoming printed editions.
Berkley Prime Crime - Mass Market Edition, June 2011.
Chapter 18, p.213 - "If we can't figure out the passwords in the computer, it's going to take a long time to duplicate these data."
Perhaps it was meant to sa
Fmorlan
Tricia Miles book owner of havent got a clue attends founders day in Stoneham. What ocvurs is beyond belief - a freak accident where an airplane hits the gazebo and Tricia' s friend is killed. Everyone is calling it an accident but Tricia. She starts looking into the cause finding out that her friend was not who Tricia thought she knew. She gets her sister to help looking into the case. It really was a surprise ending for me. I listened to the audio version which I found surprisingly enjoyable a ...more
Leann Sweeney
Excellent fourth installment in a solid series. Love Booktown!!
Tim Smith
For a series that showed much promise, the latest title in the series only brought disappointment for me. From the sibling rivalry to the confusing dialog, as well as the odd typos in the e-book edition, I found this to be a laborious read. Add in the unbelievable premise that any small town, regardless of location on the planet, would have that many murders in such a short span of time and one begins to think that these books would be better suited to the fantasy genre. Although others have fou ...more
Anne Hawn Smith
This was ok as a cozy mystery but there are ways to make the characters more distinctive. I listened to the book while driving from Virginia to Florida, and it was just about right for listening while traveling. I might be a little more enthused about the book if I had read the earlier books first, but this was available to download from my library to my Kindle.

The mystery begins with a Founder's Day celebration on the village green in front of a landmark gazebo. Unfortunately, the airplane whic
LORI CASWELL
The star of this series is Trisha Miles who owns a mystery bookstore, Haven't Got A Clue, in Stoneham, New Hampshire. The whole town has been rejuvenated by a group of bookstores and other shops with a book theme, even a restaurant owned by Tricia's sister, Angelica, called Booked For Lunch.

As we return to Stoneham it is Founder's Day. The whole town is participating in the grand event planned Deborah Black. It is while Deborah is giving her welcoming speech that tragedy strikes. A small airplan
Julie
Review:
Back in Stoneham, New Hampshire things are trying to return back to normal. Bob Kelly has put aside a weekend for the village to celebrate Founder's Day. The Bookstores have been putting Stoneham on the map but Bob wants more publicity and more tourists because that will bring more profit. But when the plane carrying the Founder's Day banner comes crashing down on Deborah Black giving the welcome speech, Stoneham is back on the map but not for a good reason. Tricia Miles the owner of Hav
Betty
What a slamdunk opening to a story! Sentenced to Death certainly grabbed my attention with an astounding Founders Day Celebration in Stoneham, New Hampshire. Who could guess that an innocuous celebration would change the lives of the town's residents so much, in particular the Booktown shop-owners? Lorna Barrett , you've done it again! Although new characters are introduced, some remain and some leave, one way or another. Other characters make changes in their lives as land developers descend ...more
bella
As a fan of the Booktown Mystery series I was so excited to pick up the latest book in the series.

SENTENCED TO DEATH takes place several months after the horrifying murder of Jim Roth, the owner of History Repeats Itself. Life in Stoneham is settling back to normal, or at least Tricia is led to belief. However, she is thrown in the middle of another murder mystery, when her close friend, Deborah, is killed.

I have raved and raved about how much I enjoy the Booktown Mysteries. Of all the contempor
Nora-adrienne
Sentenced to Death

By Lorna Barrett

Copyright June 2011

Publisher Berkeley Prime Crime

“As the owner of Stoneham, New Hampshire’s mystery bookstore Haven’t Got a Clue, Tricia Miles can figure out whodunit in the latest bestseller long before she gets to the last page. But when her friend is killed in a freak accident, Tricia must use her sleuthing skills to solve a murder mystery that promises to be much more sinister than the books on her shelves.

It’s Founder’s Day in Stoneham and the whole village
Xyra
Jun 16, 2013 Xyra rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of cozy mysteries
Recommended to Xyra by: Jodie & Vanyer
3.5 stars again.

This one was good like the others. the initial murder came a bit early on in the reading, it was gruesome, quick, and strange.

We get promise of a relationship blooming in this one and perhaps moving into the next one.

More goes on behind the closed doors of a small town than most realize. Maybe not to such an extent as we see here, but who knows. It seems everyone has secrets and skeletons in their closet.

I am a little annoyed by Angelica. When you achieve a dream for which you ha
Kathy
Wonderful to return to Stoneham, New Hampshire in Lorna Barrett's latest Booktown Mystery: Sentenced To Death. The fast paced action packed novel starts off with a plane careening into the town's square's gazebo on Founder's Day. Tricia Miles is stunned by the death of her good friend, Deborah Black, and the death of the pilot of the small plane. It's an accident....or is it? And what is with the company Nigela Racita Associates that are buying up all the property in town?

All of your favorite ch
Suzanne
Tricia Miles, owner of Stoneham, New Hampshire's mystery bookstore, Haven't Got a Clue is settling into life on Stoneham, after three years, she has a great staff, a wonderful and consistent clientele and her story is doing better than many of the local bookstores in what has been dubbed "Booktown" after the Chamber of Commerce started the initiative to attract tourists and revive the town's economy.

Tricia is also known as the town's "jinx" for her uncanny ability to sniff out or discover murder
Lauren
The whole village of Stoneham, New Hampshire is turned out for the first ever Founder’s Day celebration. Debora Black, owner of the Happy Domestic and festivities organizer, is in the middle of the opening speech when a plane crashes into the gazebo killing her and the pilot. Everyone is convinced that the crash was just an accident except for Debora’s friend Tricia Miles. But can Tricia figure who the killer is in a case where nothing is what she thought it was?

I hadn’t read any Lorna Barrett b
Marlyn
Many of the residents of Stoneham, NH (affectionately known as Booktown) are gathered in the town square to celebrate Founders' Day. Tricia Miles is watching Deborah Black's son Davey while her friend is making a speech. A small airplane is circling overhead towing a banner promoting the festival. Deborah is about to begin her speech when the plane hurtles downward and crashes in the middle of the square.

Both the pilot and Deborah are killed, leaving behind his cash-strapped widow and Deborah's
Suspense Magazine
Tricia Mills, the owner of Haven't Got a Clue mystery bookstore in Stoneham, New Hampshire is excited along with the rest of the small New England town for the big Founder's Day Celebration. But, as Tricia watches on, her good friend Deborah Black is struck by a small plane as it crashes into the gazebo where she is speaking and kills her and the pilot. She and everyone else in town is stunned! The Sheriff's Department is convinced it is an accident. Deborah's husband's behavior is more than unu ...more
  • A Crafty Killing (Victoria Square, #1)
  • The Lies That Bind (A Bibliophile Mystery, #3)
  • Classified as Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #2)
  • A Deadly Cliché (A Books by the Bay Mystery #2)
  • Let's Play Dead (Museum, #2)
  • Books Can Be Deceiving (Library Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Every Trick in the Book (Novel Idea, #2)
  • The Diva Paints the Town (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #3)
  • Double-Booked for Death (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #1)
  • Holiday Grind (Coffeehouse Mystery, #8)
  • Lost and Fondue (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Grace Interrupted (Manor House Mystery, #2)
  • The Cat, the Lady and the Liar (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #3)
  • Death Threads (A Southern Sewing Circle, #2)
  • The Square Root of Murder (Sophie Knowles, #1)
The immensely popular Booktown Mystery series is what put Lorna Barrett’s name on the New York Times Bestseller list, but it’s her talent -- whether writing as Lorna, or L.L. Bartlett, or Lorraine Bartlett -- that keeps her there. This multi-published, Agatha-nominated author pens the exciting Jeff Resnick Mysteries as well as the acclaimed Victoria Square Mystery series and has many short stories ...more
More about Lorna Barrett...

Booktown Mystery (9 books)
  • Murder is Binding
  • Bookmarked For Death (Booktown Mystery #2)
  • Bookplate Special (A Booktown Mystery, #3)
  • Chapter and Hearse (A Booktown Mystery, #4)
  • Murder on the Half Shelf (A Booktown Mystery, #6)
  • Not the Killing Type (A Booktown Mystery, #7)
  • Book Clubbed (A Booktown Mystery, #8)
  • A Fatal Chapter (A Booktown Mystery, #9)
Murder is Binding Bookmarked For Death (Booktown Mystery #2) Bookplate Special (A Booktown Mystery, #3) Chapter and Hearse (A Booktown Mystery, #4) Murder on the Half Shelf (A Booktown Mystery, #6)