Start by marking “Wabi: A Hero's Tale” as Want to Read:
Wabi: A Hero's Tale

Wabi: A Hero's Tale

Wabi was born an owl?a great horned owl who grew to become such a strong, confident creature that he was afraid of nothing. But now he is afraid. He fears that he might never win the heart of the girl he loves. Somehow, despite his own intentions, he has fallen in love with a girl?a beautiful, headstrong human girl. And so he begins the adventure of his life. He shape-shif ...more
Published (first published April 20th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Wabi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wabi

Maureen Shea
Feb 24, 2013 Maureen Shea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maureen Judith Shea
Wabi : A Hero’s Tale
(2006J. Bruchac, Wabi: A Hero’s Tale (p. 198). New York: Dial Books.

Genre: Fantasy
Awards: Maine Student Book Award
Format: print
Selection process: Reviewed the books suggested in the textbook Literature for Today’s Young Adult by Allsen P. Nelsen . Then looked for available books by Joseph Bruchacin the local library and found "Wabi: A Hero’s Tale” available in the Yong Adult section of the library.
Review:

Wabi is an owlet newly hatched in his mother’s nest,
GraceAnne
my favorite of Bruchac's rich repetoire: sweet, sly, and very funny.
Bernadette
Jan 25, 2015 Bernadette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joseph Bruchac (Abenaki) is a prolific author for children and young adults, having received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Native Writers Circle of the Americas. Many of his works incorporate American Indian folklore, sometimes adding elements of fantasy, mystery, or suspense.

Wabi is the story of an abandoned owlet who is raised by his great-grandmother to become a protector, a "guardian," of his forest and valley. As chapters unfold, he rescues and befriends two wolves, Malsumsis and W
Melissa
I think Joseph Bruchac is my new favorite author! He weaves an incredible tale of suspense and leaves you wanting more. Wabi is the first book of Bruchac's that I've read and I absolutely loved it! I wanted to give it 10 stars! Wabi has a lot going on as it follows than transition from owl to man. We learn so much about Wabi's character from even the first chapter. As an owlet he is bullied by his brother and shows a great amount of courage only to be pushed out of their nest. He soon meets a "f ...more
Laura Bang
Bruchac weaves together elements of fantasy and the classic “Hero’s Journey” to create a new fairytale-type story based on Native American Indian traditions. The story follows the trials and tribulations of Wabi, a great horned owl who falls in love with a human girl and abandons his life as an owl to become a human and win her heart. The life of a fairytale hero is not so simple, however, and Wabi must face both humans and monsters before being accepted as himself. Dojihla, Wabi’s love interest ...more
Wabi, a young owl, and his great-grandmother cannot only speak owl, they can communicate in other animal languages as well. After being rescued from a tough childhood by his grandmother, Wabi begins following human life in a nearby village. He falls in love with Dojihla, the willful daughter of the chief. Wabi is able to turn into a man and wins a contest to become Dojihla's husband, but he quickly realizes that while he has won her hand, he has not won her heart. Instead, he sets off to rescue ...more
Josh Porterfield
Apr 13, 2015 Josh Porterfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The childhood for a young owl named Wabi was not the best. He had to deal with his brother bullying him, his sister being as dumb as a rock, and having to look after her all of the time. When he grows up he becomes the biggest owl in the forest, and he’s not scared of anything. He wants to know more about the humans, so he watches them and eventually falls in love with a human girl. He has to find a way to turn human and win her heart. I think that what Joseph Bruchac was trying to say that you ...more
We Writers
Are you looking for a book that is adventurous and fantastic? If so, read Wabi by Joseph Bruchac. Wabi is a special owl that is able to talk human words. Wabi loves to go on exiting and interesting adventures but, sometimes they can be very strange. One day Wabi discovered a human village. Wabi was very curious about the humans. After a while, Wabi was learning new things about the humans the made him very interested. A few days passed by and there was one human that stood out the most to Wabi. ...more
Theresa
Nov 01, 2009 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
This tale is based on a Native American legend about a runt owl named Wabi, who was pushed out of his nest and was rescued by his great grandmother. She took care of him and taught him many great things, including the fact that they could speak in human language as well as other animal languages. Wabi was fascinated with humans and fell in love with the chief's daughter. His only dream was to become human so he could spend his life with her.

This was such a beautiful and well told story. I adored
Tessa Joy
Oct 05, 2010 Tessa Joy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Angela Oliver
Fowler Library
Aug 06, 2015 Fowler Library rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For years as an owl, Wabi has been guarding the village from the many monsters that hunt humans. With his wolf friend Malsumsis at his side he fights the evil creatures and keeps the village safe. Now he has fallen in love with one of the village girls. His great grandmother tells him how to transform himself into a human so that he can enter into a contest to win the girl in marriage. He wins but it is discovered that he is not truly human and he is cast out. He enters on a quest to find the wo ...more
Renee
Jul 22, 2008 Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 5th-8th grade
Wabi begins his life as a runt owl. But when his great-grandmother takes care of him, he turns into a white owl who protects the people in a nearby village. After Wabi falls in love with a woman in the village and chooses to turn into a human, he learns what it really means to be human. Themes include: love, family, sacrifice, heroism, nature and identity. The story is a Native American superhero tale with the funny and reflective Wabi at its center. Wabi is for those interested in self-discover ...more
Miriam
Sep 27, 2009 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal-loving kids
Shelves: unfinished, fantasy, ya
Wabi is more intelligent than a normal owl, so he watches the humans and listens to their stories. In he protects them from monsters in the woods. This was an all right book, it was just too cute for me. It would be good for kids who like anthropomorphic animals. For readers older than 11 or so I'd recommend trying Owl in Love instead.
Haaley♡
Dec 11, 2014 Haaley♡ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story. It was an interesting twist on shape-shifting animals that turn into humans for love. Wabi is an interesting Character that is hatched an owl and is raised by his great grandmother to become the biggest owl and very smart. I like that he is entranced by the human girl and falls in love with her. Even after she turns him down he still tries to do what is best for him and his pet to rescue the wolves. It is a good story of a hero and love. I would recommend this book.
Ellison Huang
Apr 17, 2016 Ellison Huang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book filled with adventure, mystery, and love. This is a wonderful traditional literature book about a wondrous transformation that leads Wabi to realize who his closest friends really are and the life that he is meant to live. This wonderful book will be appreciated for anyone into adventure, suspicion, or fantasy. Joseph Bruchac also includes some elements of american indian folklore. This is a great book for ages 9 and up.
Jessica
Feb 18, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***kids book. I have Code Talker and have always been interested in Native American legends(from Aunt Cathy) It was an excellent story. I never knew where it would lead except that the owl would get the girl. It was an interesting perspective going from an owl to human. I am now going to read Code Talker. I watched the movie, but books are almost always better.
Robyn
Jun 14, 2015 Robyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another beautiful, exciting book by one of my favorite authors. I love Bruchac's truncated yet graceful style, and his straightforward storytelling. Wabi, A Hero's Tale is another book I'll be recommending to my middle grade children (although, thinking about it, my six year old son might enjoy it as a read-a-loud).
Amber
This book is full of adventure, humor, romance, magic, monsters, Native American culture and a lot of other really wonderful things. You can't help loving Wabi and wanting to find out what will become of him in all of his adventures. I would feel confident recommending this book to just about anyone, from the young reluctant reader to the more mature reader looking for a quick enjoyable read.

Suzanne Warr
A truly amazing animal pov, but also an excellent shape shifting story and the kind of tale you feel in your bones has been around since humans first started telling stories. Read the full review on my blog, and get the cat's two cents, as well. ;)
Jean
Feb 28, 2008 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engrossing tale. Wabi, an owl who falls from his nest and is cared for by wise great grandmother owl learns that his mother was a human who became an owl. He falls in love with a human girl, and changes to a human. Eventually he saves his wolf friends family and the village and gains the love of Dojihla who had earlier rejected him because of his owl ears.
Becky
May 13, 2009 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book- I couldn't stop reading and wanted the story to continue when it was over. Very detailed story to help the imagination picture everything. Wabi is a tale of a very brave being.

I have heard this author also wrote Keepers of the Earth. I will be reading more from this guy!
James Esplin
Plot Synopsis:
Wabi falls from his nest. His great-grandmother takes care of him, but soon he falls in love with a human girl. A what a trip love takes him on.

Thoughts:
It was interesting. The way the Joseph Bruchac keeps the owl nature when Wabi becomes human was fun. I liked how they were to give gratitude for what they killed.

Warnings:
very mythological fight scenes
Kim Riehle
Apr 30, 2008 Kim Riehle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an interesting way to look at what a hero means in the American Indian Culture. Wabi is an owl, who is a man, who is both. He finds that protecting those he loves is the meaning of being a true hero. He also realizes that true peace comes when we are comfortable with who we are.
BL834
Mar 28, 2011 BL834 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The descriptive blurb did not entice me at all. The cover didn't catch my eye. But my daughter insisted I read this book... and wow! Simply told, with understated bits of humor and good pacing. Even the moments of magic and plot twists didn't seem overly contrived.
Marilyn
Read this for a discussion with students at local middle school. It was interesting, fast moving and I think the students will have a postive reaction to it. I think I'd like to try another book by this author.
Cynthia Egbert
Jan 01, 2014 Cynthia Egbert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the way that Mr. Bruchac presents the stories of the Native American people, particularly the Iroquois. This one is well written and the characters are worth loving.
elissa
Jun 04, 2014 elissa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrensnovels
I'm looking through this list, and had thought of reading this one before, so am adding it: http://blogs.slj.com/afuse8production...
Becca
Apr 08, 2010 Becca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mediocre, ya-lit, weird
This was a transformation story, but it was just plain weird. Short, but felt like it went on forever. And did I mention it was weird.
Audrey
Jul 10, 2009 Audrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book I have ever read. No joke.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Jingle Dancer
  • Rabbit's Snow Dance
  • Robbie Forester and the Outlaws of Sherwood Street (outlaws of Sherwood Street, #1)
  • The Fires Beneath the Sea (The Dissenters, #1)
  • I Was There
  • Ghosthunters and the Muddy Monster of Doom! (Ghosthunters, #4)
  • The Adventures of Sir Givret the Short (Knights' Tales, #2)
  • Shield of Stars (The Shield, Sword, and Crown, #1)
  • Walking the Choctaw Road: Stories from the Heart and Memory of the People
  • Boots and the Seven Leaguers (A Rock-and-Troll  Fairy Tale, #3)
  • The Last Words of Will Wolfkin
  • The Porcupine Year
  • Gus And The Baby Ghost
  • Blue Horses Rush In: Poems and Stories
  • Buffalo Bird Girl: A Hidatsa Story
  • The Cazuela That the Farm Maiden Stirred
  • Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit (Moribito, #1)
  • The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle
Joseph Bruchac lives with his wife, Carol, in the Adirondack mountain foothills town of Greenfield Center, New York, in the same house where his maternal grandparents raised him. Much of his writing draws on that land and his Abenaki ancestry. Although his American Indian heritage is only one part of an ethnic background that includes Slovak and English blood, those Native roots are the ones by wh ...more
More about Joseph Bruchac...