Start by marking “Journal of a Trapper: In the Rocky Mountains Between 1834 and 1843; Comprising a General Description of the Country, Climate, Rivers, Lakes, Mountains, ETC the Nature and Habits of Animals, Manners and Customs of Indians and a Complete View of the Life...” as Want to Read:

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Russell wrote this book partially to refute The Personal Narrative of James O. Pattie, which he claimed contained many inaccuracies.
Published June 1st 2001 by Stackpole Books (first published January 1st 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Journal of a Trapper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journal of a Trapper

Donna
This is four-star for me, but your mileage may vary. Spelling and punctuation are not edited for flow, but Russell's orthographic currents are far easier to navigate than the Lewis & Clark Journals. Still, I like the journals of my explorers unvarnished. This journal runs from 1834 to 1843. The Little Big Horn is still a river. Russell is mainly trapping beaver. What I love about this book is how closely it brings me into an unimaginable life. It's all there. Days of looking for places to tr ...more
Riff Denbow
This book is sometimes very interesting and somethings not very interesting (the endless 22nd travelled 20 miles up xyz creek 23rd 22 miles over pass and to large lake...). The most pressing issue with it is the great need of proper editing, the utter lack of punctuation, paragraphs, & sentence flow was an issue, as where the confusing roundabout and about ways of stating things, the random capitalization, the misspelling (which always existed as actual words like down often became clown, so ...more
Neil Geisel
A classic journal style account of his experiences in the wild regions of the Rocky Mountains. In this edition however, the editor Aubrey Haines, adds much valuable information in the way of maps, notes, and corrections. There are also letter's Russell wrote to his sister's included in the back of the book. True treasures to the journal and crucial understanding of his thoughts and journey are enforced by referring to the notes as you read. Be sure to read the appendix and put yourself in the sh ...more
Dana
Osborne Russell has given the world one of the most true accounts of a trapper's life working in the Rocky Mountains. That was his goal when he strived to get it published. He became so incensed when he read other more colorful trappers embellished stories that he set out to publish his journal. Unfortunately, he died before he could realize his dream.

This was a man who was more than a trapper who accompanied Jim Bridger's Rocky Mountain Fur Company. After 10 years of living in the mountains, h
Lisa Kearns
Osborne Russell was a New England born man who left to find his destiny in the Rocky Mountains in the 1830s and 1940s. He spent 9 years living with friendly Indians, trapping, riding, fighting hostile Indians, working for various fur companies, and keeping a daily diary.

This book is his (basically) unedited diary, and it's a treasure. It's hard to read because it's basically a hundred-page long paragraph without much punctuation. It tells of temperatures, and distances, and describes the wonders
Kurtbg
Herein lies the journal of a trapper in the Yellowstone region in the 1830's.
The author was in his early 20's when he decided to join an expedition. He ended up as trapper
looking mainly for Beaver pelts (as was the fashion of the times).

What is included in his journal is sometimes matter of fact, basic information on where he went and
what he did. Most of it takes the form of "21 mar. went 5 miles to ... laid some traps... met some ... indians/other trappers... 22 mar. etc" Some indians were frie
Lark
Pros: Unedited account of an actual human's journal in the mostly unexplored western regions. I am sure this is invaluable to historians other researchers.

Con: Umm.... pretty dry reading.... I wonder if he wrote this with an eye to being able to find his way about, rather than something that he'd like to re-read to remember his days....
Jonny
This is the journal of Osbourne Russel who was a trapper in the Rockies. The trappers were extraordinary when who journeyed into the vast unknown mountains, alone for months at a time. They were as tough as men can be. Russel's journal is simply a first hand account of an amazing time in american history.
Sheldon
This is one of the most fascinating books I've ever read. It is a well written account of the life of a trapper in the northern Rockies in the 1830's. it is of particular interest to read Osborne's accounts of places I know from nearly two centuries later.
Kevin
I love this it gives you a good feel for the unsettled west. It is more intreresting if read with some maps of the western states handy. There is enough detail to find some of the same wild places today. It is a fun book to take to Yellowstone NP.
Cory
I love it! Its not for everyone but if you are into the rockies and western history its great. It is an unaltered diary of a real trapper in the 1830'2 who travels in Idaho, Wyoming and Montana
Nate Jordon
A good historical record but difficult prose to read - an editorial decision, to be sure, but some editing would have improved the readability without sacrificing the integrity of Russell's work.
Tyrell Clines
Excellent book. It is especially powerful to those who are familiar with the areas described by Osbourne in western Wyoming and surrounding areas. Worth reading for any student of the American West.
Carel
Not nearly as colorful as Isabella Bird's "A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains"... pretty dull reading, I thought.
Tom
Lots of travel directions but a very interesting view of the northern Rockies when they were still largely unknown.
David Kessler
Best journal I have read about a trapper working his traps in Utah in the 1860's. Fascinating story
Daniel
Oops, I accidentally rated this one and I don't know how to change that. Anyhow, it's on my to read list.
Andy Kline
His description of his first skirmish with Indians is humorous and enlightening.
Rick Carpenter
I really liked this book. I enjoy history and the great outdoors.
Eegore James
Eegore James marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Omar
Omar marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Needaname
Needaname marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Rick Smith
Rick Smith marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Nick Sigmund
Nick Sigmund marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Leigh
Leigh is currently reading it
Nov 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Starlight and Storm
  • Everest: The West Ridge
  • The Mountain of My Fear / Deborah : A Wilderness Narrative: Two Mountaineering Classics in One Volume
  • Cooper's Creek
  • In Trouble Again: A Journey Between the Orinoco and the Amazon
  • The Journals
  • My Life as an Explorer
  • The Crystal Horizon: Everest-The First Solo Ascent
Journal of a Trapper The Wilderness Westwards: American Trappers & the Oregon Expeditions of the Early 19th Century-Journal of a Trapper or Nine Years in the Rocky Mountains 1834-1843 by Osborne Russell & Journal of Captain Nathaniel J. Wyeth's Expeditions to the Oregon Count