Start by marking “Goodbye, Dolly (Gretchen Birch, #2)” as Want to Read:
Goodbye, Dolly (Gretchen Birch, #2)

Goodbye, Dolly (Gretchen Birch #2)

A sleazy reporter has been found dead with doll restoration artist Gretchen Birch's craft knife stuck in his back. And when someone begins sending her boxes of Kewpie dolls with threatening messages inside, she knows she must watch her step.
Published September 4th 2007 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Goodbye, Dolly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodbye, Dolly

Drebbles
May 24, 2013 Drebbles rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
Recently relocated to Phoenix from Boston, doll restorer Gretchen Birch is a bit nervous about attending her first major doll show without her mother - she doesn't want to mess anything up. So when she bids and wins a box of Ginny dolls but ends up with Kewpie dolls instead, she is understandably upset. She is even more upset when someone is hit and killed by a car during the auction. But what is really upsetting is when a sleazy reporter is murdered and Gretchen's ex-boyfriend is one of the ...more
Luanne Castle
Sep 19, 2016 Luanne Castle rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Just as satisfying as book #1 in the series, and it was fun to see so many of the same characters reappear. I can't wait for book #3!
Margaret
Jun 11, 2009 Margaret rated it it was ok
I like the mystery portion of the story but here character descriptions leave something to be desired. She seems obsessed with body images rather than personalities and such. I'm still working through this but I'm losing my interest in the story because of her poor description of the characters. I'm not sure how many times you have to say someone is fat, skinny, athletic or whatever to make your point. I hope the other two books are better descriptive wise or I just won't bother reading them.

Fin
Nicole
May 18, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the first book a while back and decided to add this one to my Spring Challenge read. I must say I liked it more than the first book! The mystery is amazingly worked out! I had no idea how everything fitted together.

It all happens as Gretchen has to do her first auction alone without her mother present. She buys a box of Ginny dolls but accidentally gets a box of Kewpie dolls. At the auction the first murder happens. Yes, the first because there is more to come. To make matters even worse,
Helen
I enjoyed all the kewpie doll information. I notice that the ones on the cover are the later ones without wings, the ones we used to be able to get at the exhibition and that's the only part they didn't explain, the connection between the two. I got a little mixed up over the diamonds, but it made sense. I lost track of the guilty party somewhere along the line and would have to go back and trace him, but I don't care enough to bother. I've never heard of the Ginny dolls but will look them up. I ...more
Susan
Jan 13, 2010 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: murder-arizona
Gretchen is supposed to bid at a doll auction, but when she does, she gets a box of worthless Kewpie doll imitations instead of the valuable dolls she purchased. Then the auctioneer's assistant is killed in a road accident. An obnoxious journalist is murdered at a doll show that takes place soon afterward, but Gretchen is too busy trying to get rid of her visiting ex-boyfriend to pay much attention--until she learns that her knife was used in the killing.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Mar 11, 2010 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it it was amazing
This was a very interesting book from the standpoint of the mystery/murders to the world of doll collecting. The information regarding a certain type of doll was very interesting. I never knew there were several 'types' of this doll. Also, I learned alot about Doll repairing. Very interesting.

The mystery was tight and well written. I highly recommend reading the series.
Mascanlon
Jul 10, 2011 Mascanlon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Gretchen Birch attending at her first big Doll Show on her own, well if you don't count the dog in her purse and the quirky cast of characters all with a passion for doll collecting and Curves! Quirky characters and laughs makes for an enjoyable cozy read.
Debbie
Oct 25, 2008 Debbie rated it it was ok
I gave up on this one several months ago... (murder-mysteries are really not my favorites). I did want to resume reading it to find out the identity of Ronnie's murderer, but I just couldn't force myself to complete it. Ronnie was such a sleaze ball and his murder seemed ... well, justified (?)
Marseille
Apr 17, 2009 Marseille rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, doll-fiction
I'm an avid doll collector/researcher, and was quite pleased that the doll information in the book was correct and in the proper spirit......
Lynn Demsky
Feb 27, 2012 Lynn Demsky rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly enjoyable cozy series - and, I'm not reading in order and not having problems following along!
Lynne
Oct 31, 2013 Lynne rated it really liked it
I didn't figure the motive in this one. It was pretty fun and easy to read. Not sure who to trust.
Sarah Adamson
Oct 18, 2014 Sarah Adamson rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A fun and gentle cozy about a doll repair lady. A fascinating insight into the world of collectible dolls. Good with nice twists.
Karol
Jan 08, 2009 Karol rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, read-in-2009
Very entertaining mystery . . . I also enjoyed how the author gave real faces and personalities to the homeless.
April Schilling
April Schilling rated it really liked it
May 23, 2014
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was ok
Nov 22, 2010
Hazel
Hazel rated it it was ok
Apr 08, 2015
Marcia
Marcia rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2015
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Debra
Debra rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2014
Maggie
Maggie rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2012
Danalou
Danalou rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2010
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2013
Pamela
Pamela rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2013
Mendy
Mendy rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2009
Leanne
Leanne rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2012
Marjorie Calhoun
Marjorie Calhoun rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2012
Kristen
Kristen rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2007
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2012
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Death Takes a Honeymoon (Carnegie Kincaid, #4)
  • Getting Old Is Tres Dangereux (Gladdy Gold, #6)
  • French Polished Murder (A Daring Finds Mystery, #2)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • Motherhood is Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #2)
  • Fed Up (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #4)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee, #1)
  • Never Say Sty (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #7)
  • Silent Auction (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)
  • Pie A la Murder (A Della Cooks Mystery #4)
  • Casket Case (A Callie Parrish Mystery #3)
  • Gaits of Heaven (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #17)
  • Trouble in Bloom (Nina Quinn, #4)
  • Last Writes (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #4)
  • Harrowing Hats (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #4)
Bestselling, award-winning author Deb Baker writes the hilarious Gertie Johnson mystery series set in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. A native Yooper herself, Deb brings her blend of humor and sass to everything she writes, including mysteries written under her pen name Hannah Reed.

In addition to the Yooper mysteries, Deb/Hannah also penned a doll collecting series, beekeeping mysteries, and a Scottis
More about Deb Baker...

Gretchen Birch (4 books)
  • Dolled Up For Murder (Gretchen Birch, #1)
  • Dolly Departed (Gretchen Birch, #3)
  • Guise & Dolls (Gretchen Birch, #4)