Start by marking “Thoughts on Art and Life” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Thoughts on Art and Life

Leonardo da Vinci

Thoughts on Art and Life

A fascinating collection of writings from the great polymath of the Italian Renaissaince, Leonardo da Vinci. There are sections covering the great man's thoughts on life, art and science. Maurice Baring trawled the available manuscripts to distil da Vinci's writings on these subjects into a single, accessible tome, which will be of interest to students of da Vinci, the Ren ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published September 8th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Thoughts on Art and Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thoughts on Art and Life

Sherry
I enjoyed these notes written by DaVinci himself. What an amazing mind. Everything from a discussion of the five senses and consciousness -- termed "common sense," by Da Vinci -- to a vivid description of how to paint a battle scene, to a discussion of science and flight. DaVinci claims that words are not as powerful or as long lived as a painting, but I sense his personality from reading his words, and he is able to describe as vividly as he paints. Truly one of the great human minds.
Silvia
Jan 08, 2017 Silvia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an interesting experience to have some insight into the mind of Renaissance's greatest polymath.
Matt Holmes
Dec 09, 2015 Matt Holmes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll level with you. I read this book because of Da Vinci's Demons. Don't think this a stab at culture or pretense or anything.

That said, the book was surprisingly engaging, considering its age, and the fact that, between the ciphers and the terse, rambling tone, it was obviously never intended for public viewing. It's divided into three parts: Views on Life, Views on Art, and Views on Science.

His views on life were easily my favorite. It was packed with pithy aphorisms of the kind that even bi
Kacey
Feb 20, 2015 Kacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just about everyone knows Leonardo da Vinci for his paintings, but not so many know him for his inventions, his work with the military and his experiments. This book shares his thoughts on a lot of different subjects, and I think is a great insight into this influential man. We do get to see him observing the world around him and how he perceives things like the moon and stars, the five senses, the animal kingdom, etc.

While I read this book on Kindle, I regret not having a physical copy so I cou
Natalia Lupușor
...most of the book is about the supremacy of painting as compared to other forms of art... it is clearly visible that Leonardo da Vinci did not plan to publish it, many ideas are repeated in several instances, with almost same wording. still the book contains some interesting insights...
Keifer
Jul 27, 2011 Keifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and a good read, but Leonardo is a little too focused on explaining why painting is better than poetry, or sculpture, or other art forms.
Robyn
Jul 19, 2015 Robyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had started this book back in 2012 & just read a few pages of it at a time for several weeks or months. But I picked up reading on 7-18-15 where I left off back in 2012, & was able to finish the next day (for my weekend reading material at work).

This book was translated & compiled very well. It doesn't follow much of a distinguishable storyline, just random thoughts & observations DaVinci wrote in notebooks. Some would've been more interesting to see the pictures & diagrams
Phil Filippak
Jul 07, 2016 Phil Filippak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medieval
NB: The edition I have read (in Russian) may be different from that one though it's the closest one I've found. Therefore, additional materials may also differ.

A really good collection of manuscripts by a really thoughtful author. Although Leonardo da Vinci expresses his dislike for poetry in first chapters, many bright ideas are spread across the book. It inspires to draw and to invent things, and not to be afraid of people's reaction.
Grethel Ulang
Jan 17, 2015 Grethel Ulang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got to finish it... finally. It's a very interesting read for someone who is truly fascinated with Da Vinci. It’s a compilation of his manuscript translated and deciphered from his many scattered and fragmentary codices, which most probably have been written in reverse. Knowing him to be the real genius, it feels great to be, somehow, getting inside his mind upon reading his work. Though some parts can be tedious to comprehend, I would recommend this to those who are into/studying the arts.
Susan Mills
Jan 10, 2015 Susan Mills rated it it was amazing
Amazing read!

Leonardo was a deep thinker who was interested in almost everything. His comments on different subjects are FASCINATING and demonstrate how the mind of this genius operated.
same
Aug 18, 2016 same rated it really liked it
Fascinating look at a genius

A clear and simple explanation of the man and his beliefs is followed by a wealth of Knowledge wisdom, by topic, in the words of Divinci.
Abdullah Rifai
Dec 31, 2015 Abdullah Rifai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoughts on life:
17,18,22,54,55,56,64,84.

Thoughts on art:
2,5,10,12,15,21-25,29,30,31,34-36,52,55,67,74,88,93.
Shelley
Shelley rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2015
Annelie
Annelie rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2014
Cardio Vascular
Cardio Vascular rated it really liked it
May 06, 2013
Stephen Seabrook
Stephen Seabrook rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it it was ok
Dec 05, 2014
Clara
Clara rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2014
Netta
Netta rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2016
Anita Petrova
Anita Petrova rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2012
Owonaro Simon
Owonaro Simon rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2015
Oscara
Oscara rated it it was ok
Aug 02, 2013
Big Melly
Big Melly rated it did not like it
Nov 21, 2014
Joe Gonzales
Joe Gonzales rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2015
Keith Herbin
Keith Herbin rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2015
Kye Sonne
Kye Sonne rated it it was ok
Nov 28, 2016
Ali Hasan
Ali Hasan rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2015
Bob Toohey
Bob Toohey rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2016
May Manansala
May Manansala rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2013
Michele Hauf
Michele Hauf rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Historical Atlas of World Mythology 1: The Way of the Animal Powers
  • Through the Eyes of Leonardo da Vinci: Selected Drawings
  • The Complete Book of Drawing Techniques: A Complete Guide for the Artist
  • Lee Hammond's Big Book of Drawing
  • The Spiritual Universe: One Physicist's Vision of Spirit, Soul, Matter and Self
  • Painted Pages: Fueling Creativity with Sketchbooks and Mixed Media
  • Figure Drawing Without a Model
  • Fashion Design Drawing Course: Principles, Practice, and Techniques: The Ultimate Guide for the Aspiring Fashion Artist
  • Oil Painting For Dummies
  • Perspective Drawing Handbook
  • The Art of Calligraphy: A Practical Guide to the Skills and Techniques
  • Tempest at Dawn
  • The Alphabet Versus the Goddess: The Conflict Between Word and Image
  • Dark Nature: Natural History of Evil, A
  • Secrets to Drawing Realistic Faces
  • One Drawing a Day: A 6-Week Course Exploring Creativity with Illustration and Mixed Media
  • Leonardo da Vinci
  • Art History, Volume I (w/CD-ROM)
It was on April 15, 1452, that Leonardo was born in the town of Vinci, Republic of Florence, in what is now in Italy, the illegitimate son of a notary and a barmaid. It is from his birthplace that he is known as Leonardo da Vinci. Leonardo seemed to master every subject to which he turned his attention: he was a painter, draftsman, sculptor, architect, and engineer, wrote poetry and stories: the p ...more
More about Leonardo da Vinci...

“as a well-spent day gives, joy in sleep
so a well-spent life brings, joy in dying”
15 likes
“I abhor the supreme folly of those who blame the disciples of nature in defiance of those masters who were themselves her pupils” 11 likes