Start by marking “One Love” as Want to Read:
One Love

One Love

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Adapted from one of Bob Marley's most beloved songs, One Love brings the joyful spirit and unforgettable lyrics of his music to life for a new generation. Readers will delight in dancing to the beat and feeling the positive groove of change when one girl enlists her community to help transform her neighborhood for the better. Adapted by Cedella Marley, Bob Marley's first c ...more
Published September 21st 2011 by Chronicle Books (first published August 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about One Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Love

Barbara
Relying on the lyrics of her famous father's song, Cedella Marley celebrates the healing power of love to transform lives and even landscapes. I particularly liked how the change comes through the example of a young girl who enlists her family, friends, and neighbors to clean up the community and create a green space which they all can enjoy. The storyline shows that anyone can change the world by starting with a small part of it. The mixed media and digital illustrations are colorful and filled ...more
Jill
This book for very young children is adapted by a daughter of Bob Marley from one of his most popular songs. The illustrations by Vanessa Brantley-Newton are bright and cheery and show a diverse collection of people celebrating the joys of cooperation and community.

The song “One Love” expresses these sentiments, and was named "Song Of The Millennium" by the British Broadcasting Corporation....

"One love, one heart
Let's get together and feel all right
As it was in the beginning (One love)
So shall
Ina
Bob Marley's daughter has written a wonderful tribute to her dad with this adaptation of his song, "One Love." The illustrations are bright and show a diverse neighborhood sharing...one love. Sing the book/Read the song for SRP 2015
Holly
This book is great because it could be taught anywhere from preschool aged to mid elementary students. This book's focal point is it's illustrations which carry the story and it goest to the song lyrics of "One Love" by Bob Marley. This is fitting as the author is Bob's oldest daughter! The story follows a little girl who is determined to get her neighbors to make their neighborhood a better place by cleaning up garbage and creating a green space for their hood. I liked that Bob Marley is shown ...more
Kristen
Any Bob Marley fan will fall in love with this book based off the infamous song One Love. The promotion of community is displayed through out the story and how working together will bring people together and produce positive results and emotions. Like her father, Cedella Marley uses words to bring power and meaning. Love has power and is expressed in the form of a young girl who encourages her family and friends to clean up her community creating sustainability. Vanessa Brantley-Newton's illustr ...more
Regina
Sometimes the smiles on an illustration can make your own face light up. I found that was definitely the case with "One Love". Cedella Marley takes the basic lyrics of her father's well-known song and put together a short and endearing little book.

A happy little brown girl with dreadlock pigtails is joining along with her family and neighborhood to build "One Love Park", while she remarks on how she find love throughout her world. Small nods to Bob Marley are found within the pages as his liken
John
Originally posted at http://mrschureads.blogspot.com/2011/...

Cedella Marley, Bob Marley's oldest child, brings her father's well-liked song, One Love, to life for a new generation. In Cedella's adaptation, a determined little girl shows her family, friends, and neighbors how love and teamwork make a community a better place. Vanessa Brantley-Newton's colorful illustrations nicely extend the story and almost pop from the page.

I was curious about Cedella's process for adapting her father's belove
Taliah
A young girl is determined to bring her friends, family, and community together to clean up the trash and weeds that have taken over an abandoned lot. Loved the illustrations, so vibrant and happy, that really highlight the love, happiness, and friendship that is displayed in this book. I also loved the diversity of characters in this book. It showed how a community can come together despite cultural differences (race, age, gender) to make a neighborhood an enjoyable place for all. The book read ...more
Cara Kemnitz
I got this for my nephews and read it to them all the time. It has big, bright, beautiful illustrations and simple text that can be sung to the tune of Marley's "One Love". It has a central theme of love, inclusion, and family, and would work for a variety of interdisciplinary themes.
Tara W.
May 25, 2014 Tara W. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tara by: St Joseph Book Fair Recommendation
Gorgeous illustrations by Vanessa Brantley-Newton ! Cedella Marley has a special message / synopsis at the end of the book that was a great surprise and wonderful read! One Love, Bob Marley --- One Love, Cedella Marley --- One Love, Whodini !
Suzanne Moore
Bob Marley is one of my favorite artists. His reggae rhythm creates a relaxing, joyful mood. "One Love" describes a beautiful feeling ... when hearts join and share the goodness of life with each other. Cedella, Bob's daughter adapted this song into a beautifully illustrated children's book. The characters in the pictures portray a multicultural mix of children and adults who are working together to clean up a park ... the One Love Park. One guy is wearing a Marley t-shirt, which I thought was c ...more
Liza Gilbert
This is a lovely book based on Bob Marley's iconic song. The images show a little girl with her family, friends, and finally her diverse community. I greatly appreciated that white characters are the minority in this book instead of having a black girl in the center of a white community. This definitely helps fill a void in children's picture books.

The illustrations also start small with the little girl and build to encompass an entire neighborhood, just as the song builds. This is a welcome add
Tasha
Marley has adapted her father Bob Marley’s famous song into this picture book. The book follows the same arc as the song, but is simplified considerably. Fans of the song will definitely try to sing along with the words since they are so iconic. Children who don’t know the song will discover a vibrant picture book where the words give the emotion, but the pictures tell the story. It’s the story of a community coming together to turn a vacant lot into a park, One Love Park.

Read the rest of the re
Colette
I love this song, and the pictures are wonderful. Thank you Cedella Marley for sharing your fathers love with our kids!
Mary
Bright colorful picture a day of sharing at a park I collect Children's books by musical artists
Joy Lane
Donna Roy
This is a great book that goes along with song, "One Love". The children would pick up and sing-a-long with this song quite naturally. The little girl focuses on the community as a whole, making sure that they understood what diversity meant. The illustrations are beautiful.

Learning Experience: The children can do an activity on diversity with learning about each child's culture background. The children could have their families to make a dish and bring to class to share to demonstrate that it d
Laura Mcclanahan
Genre- Children's Picture Books

Following the words of Bob Marley's famous song, Cedella Marley inserts her own themes and phrases teaching children to take care of the planet, to cherish each other, and to show good will. The story is designed for the reader to almost sing along, each phrase spread out over multiple pages in order to allow the reader to slow down and see the vivid paintings. Though simplistic and predictable, the story has a strong moral and could easily be a come-back-together
Christina Davis
Based on the song by Bob Marley, 'One Love". You can sing or speak this book. I would prefer to sing it because it's just more fun that way. The illustrations show children of different race playing together; an interracial family; different animals getting along. I bought this book at a book fair for my collection. It would be fun to play the actual song 'One Love' after reading this to the classroom. Maybe have the kids hold hands while they sing, or incorporate some sort of dance to it.
Daniel Riles
One Love is by Cedella Marley who has adapted a few of her father's songs into children's books. One Love is beautiful. As the lyrics carry a beautiful message to my kids and dredge up good memories from high school, the art tells the story of a diverse neighborhood coming together to clean up a junked lot and turn it into a gardening and gathering place. Lots to love here with age, race, and other diversity well represented. Very engaging art by Vanessa Brantley-Newton.
Trauma  Newell
We really enjoyed this wonderful picture book! Cedella Marley brought her father's message of love from a song from his lyrics called One Love, to this vivid and amazing children's book of colorful illustrations from the talented Vanessa Brantley-Newton. The message from One Love brought a community of people together as one, with one girls determination to beautify a neighborhood park for people come together to sing and dance to the lyrics of One Love.
Daniella Velasquez
I had no idea they had this book! I love the song! And this book is an amazing read for children!! It has so many different cultures and it can show children that we are all different but that we call still love each other! I enjoyed it so much I need to get it as soon as I can!
Extension: We can do a learning experience with different cultures around the world. And explain to the children more about their different customs, beliefs and much more.
saferia
A beautifully illustrated book that brings to life Bob Marely's song, "One Love." The pictures are large, yet detailed which are good for young children. This would be a really good bedtime story as there's not a lot of text, but enough images to promote discussion. I can't wait to read this to my kindergarten students in the new year and get them excited to write about their world and the people and world they love. Good for kids aged 2-6.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Yes, it’s that song and it’s been reworked by that songwriter’s daughter (take a second look at her last name if you think I joke.) Like some of the more popular songs of the Beatles, this one is both trite and profound in its simplicity. The illustrations are brilliantly colored and that lifts the song a bit out of its jarring repetition.

“One love,
one heart,
let’s get together
and feel all right!”
Shelli
The author did a fabulous job of showing the message of love and community from this moving song by Bob Marley. Why is it that the though of a united world seems so unobtainable when the message is so simple? This book would be wonderful to read around Earth Day or any time a town, community, street or school can come together and organize a neighborhood clean up.
Linda
"One Love" by Cedella Marley is based on the song by her father, Bob Marley. It is a story of coming together for the benefit of the whole community and for Mother Earth.

Learning Extension: This is an excellent feel good book for childrens creative, language, and linguistic development. Children might like to draw an earth and tell what makes the earth go around.
Sebin
Nov 11, 2011 Sebin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: music
The words from this book are from the famous song by Bob Marley, One Love. I think it would be a nice book for children to actually sing the song from the book but the lyrics might be too complex for the younger students to understand. For older students, they could interpret the lyrics to try and see what the message the musician was trying to convey.
Brittany Barrett
I love the race diversity in this book.The illustrations are amazing
Natalie Heavrin
This book made me so happy! I love the feel-good vibes of Bob Marley and I think it's great that his music can be introduced to a new generation through chidren's literature. This is a great story about diversity, acceptance, and building a community. It'd be fun to sing along to and is sure to put everyone in a great mood!
  • The Biggest Kiss
  • He's Got the Whole World in His Hands
  • An Awesome Book of Love!
  • Blowin' in the Wind
  • Big Red Lollipop
  • Five Little Monkeys Bake a Birthday Cake
  • Sing
  • I Had a Favorite Dress
56 Thoughts from 56 Hope Road: The Sayings and Psalms of Bob Marley Three Little Birds The Boy from Nine Miles: The Early Life of Bob Marley (Young Spirit Books) Every Little Thing: Based on the song 'Three Little Birds' by Bob Marley The Healer's Way: Bringing Hands-On Compassion to a Love-Starved World