Start by marking “A Decline in Prophets (Rowland Sinclair #02)” as Want to Read:
A Decline in Prophets (Rowland Sinclair #02)

A Decline in Prophets (Rowland Sinclair #2)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  23 reviews
In 1932, the R.M.S. Aquitania embodies all that is gracious and refined, in a world gripped by crisis and doubt.

Returning home on the luxury liner after months abroad, Rowland Sinclair and his companions dine with a suffragette, a Bishop and a retired World Prophet. The Church encounters less orthodox religion in the Aquitania's chandeliered ballroom, where men of God rub
Published July 1st 2011 by Pantera Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Decline in Prophets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Decline in Prophets

Pat
Rowland Sinclair and his entourage of friends may be relaxing on their world cruise but the reader of this lively historical mystery certainly won't be. The action is in full flight from the beginning to the end of this romp from London to New York and on to Sydney where, if anything, the suspense just keeps mounting up. The 1930's come alive with wit and personality and the mystery is tantalising right to the end.
Vikki Petraitis
Love Sulari Gentill's second book in the Rowly series. She transports you to the wonderful world of the 1930s with a delightful mix of real and fictional characters. A great read.
Rob Kitchin
A Decline in Prophets has the feel of a golden age of crime fiction tale, with its focus on an upper class amateur detective and his small band of confidants, the setting on board a luxury liner in the early 1930s, and the form taking a classical style whodunnit. Gentill pulls off all three elements with aplomb, providing a gently paced, well observed tale of manners and the upper class lifestyle of the period, whilst tingeing the story with darker narrative and keeping the reader guessing as to ...more
Karen
Fans of Australian writing (not just crime fiction) if you've not caught up yet with Rowly Sinclair and his wanderings through 1930's Sydney and beyond, where on earth have you been?

A DECLINE IN PROPHETS is the second book in the Rowland Sinclair series from Sulari Gentill and after dithering around for a week or so trying to come up with something that describes the book accurately. I'll just have to settle for my first reaction when I got to the last page. Blast - wonder when the next one will
Heather
I've enjoyed this book, and the first in the series. I like the snippets of Australian social and political history of the period and the range and depth of the characters (right wing graziers, bohemian artists etc). They are well written, and I have the next in the series aired out and ready to go.
Bundaberg Library Library
Second in the Rowly Sinclair series this adventure allows the characters to develop. Murder on board a cruise liner allows the famous four the chance to detect as Rowly is suspected of murdering someone.
Barry
Yet another 3 star review from me. The second in the Rowland Sinclair series, the basic mystery plot here isn't quite as effective as the first, but Sinclair and his friends and family remain an amiable and amusing bunch of characters to hang out with. Of course it's easy to be amiable and amusing when viewing the world from a position of great privilege, as they do - it's all rather fun, which, of course, is part of the appeal of the gentleman-sleuth genre. People don't generally read mystery n ...more
Heidi
What can I say?

I ADORED THIS. (And the ALLCAPS are entirely legitimate.)

Disclaimer: I hosted Sulari Gentill at the library where I work in the week before I started reading this. I was blown away by Sulari, and I think she is awesome. I think her book is awesome, I think her characters are awesome.

Between the on-board mystery, the two-stage on-boardness, by the way..., the lashings of history, the increasing fabulousness of Wilfred (and I know you're probably reading this, Sulari, but yes, I'm a
Barbara
I think I would have enjoyed this book more if I hadn't already read so many of the Phryne Fisher mysteries by Kerry Greenwood. Both series provide a good sense of time and place, albeit Phryne lives in Melbourne rather than Sydney and in the late 20s rather than the early 30s. Both series are entertaining mysteries. However, Rowland Sinclair is no Phyrne Fisher. He lacks her poise and panache. While he solved the mystery, Phryne would have done the same while also finding time to dance scandalo ...more
Diane
Reading through the years, I have met many characters I have loved. Then along came Rowland Sinclair. I love the character of Rowly together with his entourage of friends and their adventures together. I commenced the series with the latest, A Murder Unmentioned and so now I continue back at book 1, book 2 and now on to book 3, Miles Off Course. Though reading the latest book first revealed more of the background of Rowly's life, I wouldn't have it any other way! A gorgeous series in the mostly ...more
Cel Jel
Midsommer murders always interests us in the. Number of murders that happen in one village. Rowly's friends are faithful in looking after him, but he does seem to be plagued with people being murdered around him. Entertaining read, whose humour had me laughing often. I recommend it to anyone who wants to escape their humdrum life.
Lyn Mcdonell
Another cleverly entertaining book from Sulari. The only problem was that I read it too quickly. After reading her first book and meeting the main characters it was easy to read this second book as they were like old friends. Once again the well researched historical references to that era of Australia made it all the more enjoyable.
Jan Farndale
I loved this second novel of the series. Rowley and his friends are so laid back!! I also love how there is a mixture of the real with the fictional character.
Allison Adriansz
A fantastic story by Sulari Gentill.
I'm really enjoying the Rowland Sinclair series.
Lucian Goonetilleke
Great reading enjoyed and looking forward to the next edition
Pip Jennings
Just as good as the first book. An easy and enjoyable read.
Rebecca
Book number two in the Rowland Sinclair series. Another story chock full of witty dialogue and crisp likeable characters (some are historical figures) whose adventures take place amidst the events leading up to World War II. A very enjoyable read. Only one quibble. They didn't like Waldorf Salad? That's really messed up.
Jennifer Rolfe
Weaving in the Theosophical society was so amusing. Think Gentill captured Aussie idiosyncratic behaviours so well.
Cathy
I read this book after a recommendation in the Age newspaper for those who love Kerry Greenwood's, Phryne Fisher series. I agree whole-heartedly- it's a "cracking great read!" I'll now be seeking out the other books in the series (1st & 3rd)
Romi
Thank you to Pantera Press for this review copy!

A thrilling, mysterious, deadly sequel. This was quite brilliant. AND SET ON A BOAT!
Karren
I really enjoyed reading these Rowland Sinclair books, can't wait to read the next one - great characters and some classic quotes
KateFromAllGoodBookStore
just as good at the first time i read it!!
Kate
just as good at the first time i read it!!
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Leigh
Leigh marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Not so long ago, Sulari Gentill was a corporate lawyer serving as a director on public boards, with only a vague disquiet that there was something else she was meant to do. That feeling did not go away until she began to write. And so Sulari became the author of the Rowland Sinclair Mysteries: thus far, six historical crime novels chronicling the life and adventures of her 1930s Australian gentlem ...more
More about Sulari Gentill...

Rowland Sinclair (5 books)
  • A Few Right Thinking Men (Rowland Sinclair #01)
  • Miles Off Course (Rowland Sinclair #03)
  • Paving the New Road (Rowland Sinclair #04)
  • Gentlemen Formerly Dressed (Rowland Sinclair, #05)
A Few Right Thinking Men (Rowland Sinclair #01) Chasing Odysseus (Hero Trilogy, #1) Miles Off Course (Rowland Sinclair #03) Paving the New Road (Rowland Sinclair #04) Gentlemen Formerly Dressed (Rowland Sinclair, #05)