Start by marking “Tar Beach” as Want to Read:
Tar Beach

Tar Beach

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  6,931 Ratings  ·  366 Reviews
Illus. in full color. "Ringgold recounts the dream adventure of eight-year-old Cassie Louise Lightfoot, who flies above her apartment-building rooftop, the 'tar beach' of the title, looking down on 1939 Harlem. Part autobiographical, part fictional, this allegorical tale sparkles with symbolic and historical references central to African-American culture. The spectacular a ...more
Published December 3rd 1996 by Dragonfly Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Tar Beach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tar Beach

Ronyell
Tar

I have actually seen this book on an episode of “Reading Rainbow” and I thought that this book was great! “Tar Beach” is a Caldecott Honor Book and Coretta Scott King Honor Book by Faith Ringgold that is about a young girl named Cassie Louise Lightfoot who tells the audience about how she flies in the sky over the city and relates her tale to the audience. “Tar Beach” is certainly a memorable book that children will love to read!

After reading this book, I started taking an interest in the art of
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I read this when it first came out. And I read it again a few years ago, and now I just read it for the 3rd+++++ time. However, I think I am finally understanding it at a deeper level.
Manybooks
Although Faith Ringgold's text is sweet and touching (providing both an enchanting story and much food for thought and discussion, analysis), I have to admit that I do not really seem to understand the concept and significance of the flying dream all that much or all that well. I have had dreams of flying myself, but for me, these dreams have generally always been ones of escaping to an alternate, better reality, to fairyland so to speak, and not generally visions of flying and floating over a c ...more
L-Crystal Wlodek
Jan 20, 2010 L-Crystal Wlodek rated it really liked it
Summary: This picture book, illustrated in a quilt-like fashion, is intended for readers 4-8 years of age and is a Caldecott Honor book. This book is about the universal wish of freedom. It delightfully balances dreams of a young girl and the injustices of the adult world. One night, as Cassie Lightfoot lays on “tar beach” which is the rooftop of her apartment building, the stars lift her up, allowing her to fly all round the city. While flying, she claims all of the buildings her own so her fam ...more
Evan
Apr 23, 2013 Evan rated it it was amazing
Tar Beach is the story of a young girl named Cassie Lightfoot and her unique perspective of Harlem in the 1930’s. Cassie flies above her black tar rooftop and has a bird’s eye view of her city in which she recounts some of the different things she sees such as her most prized possession, the George Washington Bridge, and her father’s workplace at a union building where he is a construction worker.

The book has a very positive message about the need to dream and flourish while still containing und
Dolly
Mar 10, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a nice story about the wonders of imagination and the joys of city life.

Where else but in a city of high-rise buildings like New York City could a little girl go up to the "tar beach" on the roof of a building, have a party surrounded by the dark of the sky and the lights of the buildings around you and admire the sparkling jewel lights of a bridge that her own father helped to build?

Fun story, with gorgeous illustrations and dark, bold colors. We loved the background information on th
SamZ
Aug 31, 2016 SamZ rated it liked it
Shelves: caldecott
1992 Caldecott Honor - Favorite Illustration: I like the picture of the adults on the roof playing cards together while the children sleep nearby.
When first reading this book, I was slightly confused as to what it was meant to be. However, after reading the extensive author's note, then reading through the book again it made more sense. Cassie is a young girl who dreams of a better life for herself and her family, and she is able to accomplish this by flying over and "claiming" building for her
Robert Leabo
Mar 02, 2017 Robert Leabo rated it it was amazing
Tar Beach, by Faith Ringgold. Published by Dragonfly Books in 1996. 32 pages.
In the book a young Faith Ringgold has a dream where she flies around NYC and claims everything she sees for herself. Along the way she talks about how each part of the city is important to her and her family and why she wants to claim it as her own.
We’ll use the book to discuss families, cultures, diversity and identity. It can also be used to compare where people live: rural or urban. In this book the illustrations ar
Alicia Ard
Jan 16, 2013 Alicia Ard rated it it was amazing
"Tar Beach" is a journey through the mind of Cassie Louise Lightfoot. Cassie is an eight-year-old African-American girl whose lower-class family lives in New York. The story originated as a very colorful story quilt and later evolved into book form.

Tar Beach is the name Cassie has given the rooftop of the apartment complex in which she resides. It is a nice gathering place for families to spend hot summer nights.

Cassie tells us that when she visits Tar Beach, she can fly anywhere she pleases. Th
Sandra Couch
Jan 27, 2017 Sandra Couch rated it it was amazing
Tar Beach by Faith Ringgold is a story about Cassie Louise Lightfoot an eight year old girl who flys around New York City. While her parents and the next-door neighbors play cards, Cassie and Be Be, her brother, lay on mattresses of Tar Beach, the rooftop of their family apartment building. Cassie flies away from the city introducing the union building that her dad works on as a construction worker, and the issue that he isn’t allowed to join the union because he is colored and a half-breed Indi ...more
SaraLaLa
Feb 15, 2016 SaraLaLa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This book was not at all what I expected it to be, and for that, I am grateful. The title made me think of an oil spill accident in the ocean. How depressing! The title is referring to using the roof tops in the city like a beach, laying out under the stars. Tar Beach is mainly about a little girl admiring her surroundings at night in NYC and briefly about her family life.

There are some things that seemed not quite right, though. If you live in the city and you look up, you don't really see any
Lindsay Fischer
Sep 15, 2014 Lindsay Fischer rated it liked it
Tar Beach is partially an autobiography and a fictional narrative. The story is about a girl who flies through her city. From above, she sees her family and neighbors and all the buildings that surround her home. She claims the buildings are hers if she flies over them. So, she flies over many things in the city as a way to help out her family. Tar Beach is actually the rooftop of a building where her family and friends spend time together on hot nights.
The author, Faith Ringgold, is also the
Briana Nelson
This book reminded me of my childhood. My mom would read me this story before bed, and I really enjoyed looking at the pictures. Reading this book now gives me a different perspective because I was able to see underlying themes. Reading it when I was young, I only thought it was about a family living on a roof and a girl could fly. Now, I am able to understand that this book is about socioeconomics and and following your dreams. A young girl- who's family is oppressed- finally gets a chance to e ...more
Hazel
Jan 01, 2012 Hazel marked it as recommended-for-meredith
I've been reading some articles on development during the pre-teen years and found this quote. If I remember correctly, Ringgold is an artist. I didn't know that she wrote as well.

I will always remember when the stars fell down around me and lifted me up above the George Washington Bridge...Lying on the roof in the night, with the stars and skyscraper buildings all around me made me feel rich, like I owned all that I could see. The bridge was my most prized possession...

Me, Cassie Louise Lightfo
Jenny
Aug 14, 2016 Jenny rated it really liked it
The story is whimsical and yet somewhat historical/autobiographical in nature. The narrator imagines flying through the air and whatever she flies over belongs to her. I really appreciated the author's note because it increased my appreciation for and comprehension of the text. The illustrations are gorgeous...I love the quilt squares along the bottom of each page...and I love them even more after seeing the quilt that Ringgold created to tell this story. The paintings are rich with color and de ...more
Ch_beth Rice
Jan 23, 2010 Ch_beth Rice rated it really liked it
Shelves: mc-literature
This Caldecott Honor book earned it's award with it's beautiful depiction of how powerful imagination can be. I love the way Faith Ringgold shows the hardships that Cassie's family faces, and how Cassie does what she can to help her family through the power of her imagination. I also love how Ringgold shows that although her family has many challenges they also find joy in simple things such as picnics on their roof. A wonderful book to show a different way of life to young children and explore ...more
Kimberly
Oct 09, 2013 Kimberly rated it it was ok
Week 8 picture book.

I never thought about having a beach on a rooftop. This made me think about how every child can see a situation from a different perspective. I liked this book because it had hidden themes about real-life issues, such as poverty, unemployment, racism, etc. I loved the artwork but I'm not sure students would really understand that this story is about a dream, or be able to see the hidden themes and ideas in this book.
Angela Moorer
This book is beautiful and I believe it is great to be shared for the historical aspect it conatins. Reading it at first, I didnt really understand the title. The understanding didnt come until reading it many more times and understanding that the "beach" can be anywhere where relaxation and enjoyment occurs. This book had awesome illustrations and students are sure to be able to appreciate them. This would definitely be a read aloud and we would research some of the historical aspects offered.
Ch_charonbradley
Feb 21, 2010 Ch_charonbradley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mc-literature
Faith Ringgold's Tar Beach is an amazing story that utilizes her art work as the illustration. Tar Beach, although Ringgold's first book, won critical acclaim as well as a Caldecott Honor and a Coretta Scott King Award for Illustration, and it continues to be a favorite among children and adults alike. The story is about a girl that fly over her neighborhood to claim the George Washington Bridge. It is a story that I would use in grade 3-5.
I liked the border of colored squares along the bottom pages of the book. I also enjoyed the imaginative mind of the little girl. I did enjoy looking at the illustrations, but I didn't think they were beyond spectacular or anything. I liked the story, but it just didn't click as much as I would have liked, otherwise it would have gotten a higher rating.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Beverly
Mar 07, 2012 Beverly rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
This is a sweet story of a girl's fondness for the family gatherings on the roof of the building (the tar beach), and her daydreams about flying, and her daydream about giving her dad the building he is working on. The paintings are nice, and I liked the quilt fabric borders. The story and illustrations are based on a story quilt that the author/illustrator made.
Courtney Barter
Jan 22, 2017 Courtney Barter rated it liked it
Shelves: kidlit
Tar Beach is a book about a young girl who has a dream about flying above her house and viewing her world from above. The book is based in 1939 when the little girl is eight years old. Her dream comes true in this book! Coretta Scott King award winning book.
Fenixbird SandS
1991 CALDECOTT HONOR PICTURE BOOK MY SYNOPSIS: Many large, tall skyscrapers surround the George Washington Bridge, a lighted suspension bridge, which Harlem overlooks. Atop one of these buildings young Cassie, her brother, parents and Mrs. and Mrs. Honey enjoy potlucks, card games, and whimsy on the rooftop which they name “Tar Beach.” Here Cassie soars over the city wearing the lights of the bridge as a necklace. She learns to “fly” here and feels she can own anything!
THEME: Cassie, a third gra
Samantha
Mar 23, 2017 Samantha rated it really liked it
Tar Beach is a book that tells a story of a 3rd grade girl who's family enjoys spending time of the rooftop of their building, which they call "Tar Beach". There, she can "fly" because she can see everything and feels like she is on top of the world. The book represents an African-American family and the father who is a construction worker in the city. Cassie, the young girl, likes to pretend that she can fly over all of the buildings in the city and that she can own them all one day. She talks ...more
Melissa Talley
Feb 15, 2017 Melissa Talley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit
I loved the details and colors in the illustrations of this book. The story takes the reader on a magic journey into a little girls dream. The dreaming happens on the rooftop of their building where her family has dinner on summer nights. The book draws you in as if you are there flying along with the little girl.
Marilyn
One of my favorite children's books that includes a child's creative imagination, with wonderful illustrations by a well-known artist.
Jenn Adams
Saw this on Reading Rainbow and have loved it since. The art style isn't necessarily my FAVORITE, but the story and the historical context, and the overall feel of the book are great
Cordelia Eddy
Feb 05, 2017 Cordelia Eddy rated it it was amazing
Lyrical children's book that weaves pre-Civil Rights Movement experience of black families in NYC into a dreamy meditation on freedom.
Erin
In her mind, a young girl flies over the city to claim all sorts of things for herself and her family to make things better for everyone.

The illustrations are fun and colorful.

Good for preschool story times.
Sarah Vatteroni
  • Moses: When Harriet Tubman Led Her People to Freedom
  • Moja Means One: Swahili Counting Book
  • Hot Air: The (Mostly) True Story of the First Hot-Air Balloon Ride
  • Chicken Sunday
  • When I Was Young in the Mountains (Reading rainbow book)
  • Time Flies