Start by marking “Cradle to Grave (DI Marjory Fleming #6)” as Want to Read:
Cradle to Grave (DI Marjory Fleming #6)

Cradle to Grave (DI Marjory Fleming #6)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  152 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Accused of murdering the baby in her care, seemingly cold and measured nanny Lisa Stewart maintains her innocence. But when she changes her name and tries to run away, the terrifying threats always find her. Is she an innocent victim of public anger? Or a calculating murderer on the run?
Published March 1st 2011 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Cradle to Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cradle to Grave

Mary Gilligan-Nolan
Feb 20, 2013 Mary Gilligan-Nolan rated it really liked it
D.I. Marjory Fleming is back after being suspended pending an enquiry which cleared her of bad practices in a previous case and immediately finds herself heading up a new murder investigation. There is alot going on in this story, Lisa Stewart, a nanny accused and cleared of the murder of a baby in her care, is living in the area under an assumed name and while she is out for a walk, the cliff above her cottage collapses, leaving Lisa's home and several other cottages below, under a mud slide an ...more
Marni Graff
Jul 02, 2014 Marni Graff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Templeton's series and the way she brings in DI Marjory Fleming's private life and shows a working mum pulled in two directions between her responsibilities to her family and to her demanding job.

Cradle to Grave has a reasonable mystery to solve for her, too! Very atmospheric and the setting in Scotland perfectly described. Fleming's team revolve around her and add to the tension.
Mallory Heart Reviews [Year of Cthulhu-#Vote Cthulhu]
CRADLE TO GRAVE is an incredible mystery plus thriller that breathes new life into the phrase "nonstop action/adventure/thrills." With a plot as tautly constructed as a boa hugging its prey, with danger literally at every turn, and characters deeply designed with many of them unacquainted with Truth, author Aline Templeton delivers breathless delight in suspense on every page.
LJ
First Sentence: She had no idea how long she had been walking, though such light as there was had begun fading into an ominous twilight.

DI Marjory Fleming is back from suspension and finds tension within her team. A major rainstorm has caused a landslide onto Rosscarron Cottages. One of the tenants has a past she’d rather keep hidden but it’s difficult since the cottages are on the land of wealthy Gillis Crozier, whose family is directly involved in her past. What starts as a trip to the area by
Lisa
Jun 24, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I could not get into this book at all not sure if you haver to read in order but i was missing something took too long to get into the story
Gary Van Cott
3.5 stars. A bit better than her average. One of the things that bothered me about this book is that she doesn't consistently refer to non-police characters by either first or last name. It makes it a bit confusing figuring out who is the subject of the text or dialog. I am inclined to think that authors should bend any usual rules here to avoid confusing the reader.
Deb
Sep 27, 2015 Deb rated it really liked it
Marjorie Fleming is finally back at work after a long suspension, and she is under pressure to come up with a big win after the debacle of her last case. When a devastating flood forces the cancellation of a music festival, an apparent flood victim is found to have been murdered. Marjorie and Tam MacNee are injured in a bridge collapse, and a second murder victim is found. The situation is complicated by the appearance of a past lover, as well as the appearance of a former nanny acquitted of kil ...more
Nick Davies
Jan 30, 2016 Nick Davies rated it really liked it
I've slightly mixed opinions on this one, which probably makes it more of a three and a half as opposed to a four, but there was plenty of good things about the novel which I am wanting to give credit for, despite some reservations.

Anyhow, this is another Scottish crime thriller, but much less the gritty 'Glasgow neds and junkies' type, and more of a bleak countryside one - slightly Nordic in a sense. It was more Val McDermid than Christopher Brookmyre anyhow - slow building and complex with a b
Richard Thompson
Feb 06, 2015 Richard Thompson rated it really liked it
The sixth in the DI Marjory Fleming series and the third one that we have read together.

I was enjoying this book less that the first two we had read because the constant rain, flooding rivers, and enveloping fog were damping my spirits. And then there were the clouds looming over Fleming because of her recent suspension and over her relationship with Tam McNee. But we were drawn into the tangled plot and looming threat from some good nasty bad guys. A page turner that probably would have gotten
Lizzie Hayes
Aug 31, 2012 Lizzie Hayes rated it it was amazing
‘Cradle to Grave’ by Aline Templeton
Published by Hodder, 2011. ISBN: 978-0-340-97899-0

DI Marjorie Fleming known to her colleagues as `Big Marge' is pleased to be back at work following her months of suspension. But although re-instated by the tribunal, she still has bridges to build particularly with her sergeant Tam MacNee, whose malcontent is finding an outlet with the new DC Kim Kershaw who has her own problems.

Since being accused of murdering a baby in her care Lisa Stewart has been vilifie
Jean
Aug 23, 2014 Jean rated it it was amazing
Aline Templeton's books haven't been readily available to me so I was excited to see that there are 2 others out there as well. "Big Marge" is a unique character. A Scottish DI, she is both tough and vulnerable. She doesn't always get respect from her bosses and her subordinates but she powers through even as she second-guesses herself. These books are all excellent. I hope Templeton has many more.
Carol Jean
May 26, 2014 Carol Jean rated it really liked it
I love these characters, so I hated to see two of the main ones at odds with one another. I'd kind of like to see them just solve something, without quite so much personal involvement! However, it is very well written and quite enjoyable and kept me guessing right up to the end. I really thought _______ had done it! ;-)
Laura Garner
Jul 04, 2014 Laura Garner rated it really liked it
Complicated, involving procedural that starts with a landslide and ends with a professional hitman zeroing in our Our Heroine, Big Marge. Some difficult themes give this mystery extra depth, but character overload makes it a bit hard to keep things straight.
Liz
May 25, 2014 Liz rated it did not like it
Shelves: cosy-crime
I got nowhere with this. The.main viewpoint character, Beth, is quite interesting, but the police scenes bored me stiff.
E A M Harris
May 14, 2012 E A M Harris rated it really liked it
This is a crime novel set in Scotland. There are a lot of point of view characters though the main ones are police. There are numerous questions and criss-crossing agendas, many of them surrounding the death (before the novels starts) of a baby and the fact that the nanny who was accused of the crime was acquitted.
But there are other crimes and criminals involved, including a large scale, international one and several murders. Added to these mysteries are some private problems for the police men
Krish Chatterjee
Aug 26, 2014 Krish Chatterjee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Awesome!
Lizzy
Jul 10, 2014 Lizzy rated it really liked it
Big Marge is back in action. Several story lines going on here which take you on crazy twists and turns. Is Lisa a baby killer? There is such a web of lies being woven. Can Marge and her team unravel it in time? I love the Scottish atmosphere. The ending will haunt you.
Jack
Nov 01, 2012 Jack rated it did not like it
Afraid I was really bored stiff about 30% of the way into this tome. I have been a bit preoccupied in the last few days and I think my concentration was below par, but the number of characters and odd relationships was very confusing. I will need to try (much) harder.
Andy Plonka
Jul 11, 2011 Andy Plonka rated it really liked it
Lisa Stewart does not tryat anyone over the age of five because they tell lies. She is accused of killing a child who was in her care. It's not true but most people believe it is so her life is pretty miserable. Basically a good book.
Martha
Aug 09, 2014 Martha rated it really liked it
I totally love this series, and was sad to see Fleming and MacNee at odds. My beginning of the year teacher brain struggled with the enormous cast, but I still greatly enjoyed the book.
Sandra
Jan 03, 2016 Sandra rated it liked it
Moderately, quietly enjoyable. Slightly hard to differentiate some of the characters but fine. Strictly speaking a 2.5 but I always up for first book of an author I read.
Karen
May 02, 2013 Karen rated it it was ok
It was okay but the fact that two of the police had "issues" that related to the main plot was a tad unbelievable. Also could not believe that all this was happening in D&G.
Kate
Jul 27, 2015 Kate rated it liked it
Too many characters, bodies piling up like Hamlet, too long and convoluted, took forever to finish. Hardly one of her best. 2 1/2 stars
Afsana
Jul 24, 2011 Afsana rated it liked it
this was ok to read but didnot enjoy it as much as her other books. I couldn't keep absorbed enough to keep a track of what was going on
Afsana
Aug 12, 2011 Afsana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i found this slow going not as interesting as her others

I didn't like the self doubting big marge
Graham
Sep 21, 2013 Graham rated it it was ok
I battled to get into this book, for some reason didn't pull me in like her earlier books did.
Annie
Annie added it
Feb 03, 2016
Vierblij
Vierblij marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Charlotte Switzer
Charlotte Switzer rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Joyce McGeehan
Joyce McGeehan rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2016
  • Beyond Reach (DI Joe Faraday, #10)
  • The Twilight Time
  • Silent Voices (Vera Stanhope, #4)
  • Die with Me (Mark Tartaglia, #1)
  • Sleep Like The Dead
  • A Curious Indian Cadaver (Inspector Singh Investigates #5)
  • Singing to the Dead (Anderson & Costello, #2)
  • The Disciple (Damen Brook, #2)
  • Death Toll (DI Peter Shaw & DS George Valentine #3)
  • Truth Lies Bleeding
  • Sing a Worried Song (Arthur Beauchamp, #6)
  • Strangle hold (Detective Greene, #4)
  • Eye For An Eye (DCI Gilchrist, #1)
  • Stone Quarry (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #6)
  • Pilgrim Soul (Douglas Brodie, #3 / Danny McRae, #3)
  • The Jaguar (Charlie Hood, #5)
  • Night After Night
  • Crime Machine (John Cardinal and Lise Delorme Mystery, #5)
Aline Templeton grew up in the East Neuk of Fife and was educated at St Leonards School, St Andrews and Cambridge University. She has worked in education and broadcasting and has written numerous stories and articles for national newspapers and magazines. Templeton was a bench Justice of the Peace for ten years and is a former Chair of the Society of Authors in Scotland, now living in Edinburgh. S ...more
More about Aline Templeton...

DI Marjory Fleming (9 books)
  • Cold in the Earth (DI Marjory Fleming #1)
  • The Darkness & the Deep (DI Marjory Fleming #2)
  • Lying Dead (DI Marjory Fleming #3)
  • Lamb To The Slaughter (DI Marjory Fleming #4)
  • Dead In The Water (DI Marjory Fleming #5)
  • Evil for Evil (DI Marjory Fleming #7)
  • Bad Blood (DI Marjory Fleming #8)
  • The Third Sin (DI Marjory Fleming #9)