Start by marking “Lost Truth (Truth, #4)” as Want to Read:
Lost Truth (Truth, #4)

Lost Truth (Truth #4)

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,161 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
Fourth in the sensational series featuring Alissa, a young student of magic whose rebellious nature puts her life in danger.

Alissa is steadily advancing in her magical studies with the last surviving Master at the legendary Hold. But she's haunted by dreams--dreams revealing that other Masters have survived...

Alissa's dreams lead her to a distant island, where she and a re
Published November 30th 2004 by Ace Books

Dragon Bound by Thea HarrisonDragon Actually by G.A. AikenAbout a Dragon by G.A. AikenWhat a Dragon Should Know by G.A. AikenLast Dragon Standing by G.A. Aiken
Dragon Shifters
128th out of 314 books — 693 voters
The Whip by Karen KondazianReturn to Me by Kelly MoranCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareFrostbite by Richelle MeadShadow Kiss by Richelle Mead
Books that should be made into a movie/tv show
429th out of 1,146 books — 1,324 voters

More lists with this book...

Jill Furedy
Apr 30, 2011 Jill Furedy rated it it was amazing
Well, we knew Keribdis would have to resurface eventually. After all of the father figures Alissa has encountered along the way, I was a little distressed that the only major female character turns out to be what amounts to the wicked stepmother. The other female characters that pop up throughout the books are never explored, (even Alissa's mother is hardly mentioned) and Silla is too much the fragile child to be interesting.
However, Keribdis is a strange 'bad guy' to me...clearly she earned
Kana
Erica
Apr 07, 2009 Erica rated it really liked it
Recommended to Erica by: Wyatt
Shelves: fantasy
It is unusual for my favorite book of a series to also be the last book in the series. Usually the characters have grown a bit stale and predictable by the end. But Lost Truth, although following a classic adventure tale (sailing off into the horizon after a lost group of people), showcases Alissa’s rebellious personality very well. Plus we get resolutions to most of the questions posed by the first three books. And the way the author examined power dynamics in Talo-Toecan/Keribdis relationships ...more
Micaela
Jan 28, 2016 Micaela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, romance
I know some people hate love triangles, usually including me, usually because it is incredibly obvious who the girl (or guy) will choose because option number two is a douche. The Alissa-Strell-Lodesh triangle is pretty transparent admittedly, but both the options are really very good in their own ways, and and the whole thing is spiced up because Talo-Toecan (read Dad) doesn't approve of either option and is instead shipping Connen-Neute, who isn't interested and is in fact terrified of the sec ...more
Katyana
Jan 01, 2016 Katyana rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ebook
****4.5****

It's a good ending to the series, but I wish Keribdis hadn't been such an over-the-top villain. She was so extreme that, to me, all the Masters (except Useless) are unforgivable for going along with her for so long. Honestly, at the 80% mark, I just wanted Alissa to tell them they are monsters that deserve to go extinct, and walk away.

They are worthless, lazy cowards.

It's the only thing that kept this from being perfect, imo.
Inspired Kathy
Mar 23, 2011 Inspired Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
4.5 Stars
Great end to the series!

I'm not going to say a lot in this review because I don't want to spoil this series for anyone who has not read it. I thought this was a fabulous end to the series that brought many loose ends together and tied everything up very nicely.

I've been very impressed by Dawn Cook's Truth series. This was the 4th and final book and I enjoyed them all. It's nice to find a epic fantasy series that is clean and entertaining. Glad I read these.

Content: Clean
Ross
Jan 23, 2016 Ross rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I struggled through Book 1 of the Truth series but became a devoted fan in Books 2 and 3. After falling in love with Alissa, I found myself disgusted with her actions and actually hating her for her treatment of loved ones through the first third of Lost Truth. But again, Alissa and Dawn Cook turned me around and I can say while this is not my favorite book in the series, it was an amazing read. In the end, Alissa's learns the lessons that no Master can teach: one must be true to ones self and l ...more
Sydney Mugerwa
Dec 23, 2014 Sydney Mugerwa rated it it was amazing

I am really going to miss the Truth Series! I am going to miss Alissa and Lodesh and Strell and Useless and this has been quite an interesting tale. Very unputdownable. I would know. I read the 4 books in less than a week!

Hard to find any fault with especially the last volumes in the series. Dawn Cook surely knows how to create a magical place and sustain us there. Forget that I still don't know how to pronounce Nawoer and wonder how Connen-Neute rolls off the tongue but that's beside the point
Ashley
Nov 04, 2010 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dragons
A great ending to the series, I had so much fun. Although frustrating at times, the characters are awesome, of course, and more than make up for it. It made me laugh out loud, and it made me cry. Dawn Cook/Kim Harrison definitely has a way to make her characters come alive. Very lovely. I can't wait to read the series again.
Pie Pie
Mar 06, 2015 Pie Pie rated it liked it
the second half of the book is great!

the first half is just the unbelievable love triangle continuing and not really progressing at all. BORING.

but at least it ends the series. I just wish the main character had stood up for herself in love ONCE! she seems perfectly capable to pass judgement on the entire race of raku, but can't even make a single comment about her feelings other than "I don't know"?

this book series is good summer beach reading, but don't expect anything to resonate(ha) with
Emiloxy (TheFunPolice)
Jul 16, 2015 Emiloxy (TheFunPolice) rated it it was amazing
I cried at the end. I CRIED. I love this woman's characters SO MUCH.
David Dukart
Mar 01, 2016 David Dukart rated it liked it
Fatbaldguy60
Oct 07, 2008 Fatbaldguy60 rated it really liked it
I finished up "Lost Truth" by Dawn Cook last night. This book started slow for me, as actually all the books in this series did. I think the first 145 pages or so could have been compressed by a bit.

However, once the protags headed out to the Rag Islands to find the "lost" Masters things moved apace and events piled one upon one another until the inevitable confrontation. It seems to me that Alissa really displayed a hard-found maturity while confronting Keribdis, and her own inner Beast. Kerib
CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause somethin' don't feel right
A 4.5.

This is an excellent last novel in this four book series (although it does sort of leave it open for a new adventure).

The love triangle is resolved, the past of the rakus and the masters is explored and we learn what really makes a beast.

Gifts of love, tragedy and sacrifice make up the principle story and it is this that makes Alissa a better character than when she first started out. Even if she wasn't always directly impacted with the consequences of everyone's actions and thoughts, she
Audel
Sep 10, 2011 Audel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
L'auteure de cette tétralogie est Kim Harrisson également l'auteure de Rachel Morgan (aux éditions Milady).

Probablement le meilleur des quatre tomes. En effet, la série ne cesse de se bonifier au fur et à mesure des tomes.
Dans ce tome Alissa retrouve les maîtres disparus parachevant ainsi la série. On en apprend enfin plus sur ces fameux maîtres dont on ne cesse de nous parler. Ainsi, on rencontre certains maîtres connus (rencontrés dans le tome 3) mais aussi des nouveaux. On découvre comment fo
Scarlet
Jan 23, 2012 Scarlet rated it did not like it
Cortney
Feb 22, 2012 Cortney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the final book in nationally bestselling author Dawn Cook's magical ''Truth Series''. One last lesson. Alissa is steadily advancing in her magical studies with the last surviving Master at the legendary Hold. But she's haunted by dreams--dreams revealing that other Masters have survived. Alissa's dreams lead her to a distant island where she and a rescue party discover countless Masters, alive and part of a flourishing magical society. But instead of being welcomed, Alissa finds that she ...more
Kate
Jan 06, 2012 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, 80-books-2012
4,5 stars from me.

This last installement in this series was difficult to rate. The question "Strell or Lodesh" is answered in the end, but, like I knew before it would be, we don't have a 100% happy ending.
Also,we had to say goodbye to some dear characters in this novel, and I almost cried because of one dear character.
But the plot was great, it was very enthralling, and after I got into the story, I didn't want to put the book down.
Alissa is a great girl, and she is a worthy heroine for a 4-boo
Alyssa
Sep 17, 2015 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Such a perfect ending to an amazing adventure!! Since this was the finale that I didn't even know I was waiting for, when I actually discovered it, I was on the edge of my seat until the very end! And even the lost truth that is discovered at the end is shocking in how it's insight into this fictional world resonates with its parallels in our own human condition.
Stuart Macmartin
Feb 08, 2015 Stuart Macmartin rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2015
A satisfying end. Some of the twists were set up but felt pushing it a bit. And it wasn't clear how one character had held so much sway for so long. And for creatures so smart, how could they not see they were wrong about a key part of themselves when the evidence was so obvious that some readers deemed them continuity errors in the previous book? But a good end to the story anyway.
Heather Hile
Feb 02, 2016 Heather Hile rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
The last book in the series; and again it had a story that I couldn’t have predicted from the end of the previous book, but it was completely enthralling and enjoyable. I loved the deeper look at the magic and fantasy setting of the world. There was great tension and conflict and I wanted to keep reading to know how it all turned out.
Tristen
The final book in this YA fantasy/romance. It doesn't end with a HEA for everyone and the love triangle with a twist is rather amusing when it becomes a quartet. I found many of the answers hinted at throughout and ends tied up nicely but you always wish for that good feeling all over and it won't come with this story.
Marcia
Sep 04, 2014 Marcia rated it really liked it
Shelves: uf-pnr
4+ stars. A lovely end to a sweet series. Lots of good action and happiness touched by a little end of the series goodbye. This series is extremely tame in the romance dept, so I wouldn't recommend to those who like a little spice but it would be fine for advanced younger readers.
Kevin Connery
Sep 03, 2011 Kevin Connery rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Best of the set, though the continuity issues continue. (Mostly could have been resolved by better editing; things which took days or weeks took weeks or days, depending on the page.) Having a master manipulator do their manipulation so obviously that both 20 year olds could spot it within minutes, though, was a poor choice; more subtlety was demanded, and it wasn’t done.SImilarly, the sociological elements had flaws which didn’t hold up to a moment’s viewing (bells?)Those issues, though, were o ...more
Miss E
May 29, 2013 Miss E rated it liked it
Love triangles RARELY work, and Dawn Cook was no exception. It was especially frustrating because of how unnecessary it was. Alissa's feeling were clear early on in the series, why introduce love drama in a way that one character (at the very least) will lose out terribly? Both Strell and Lodesh were extremely likable in their own ways, so that made it much worse. And I thought the ending was a cop out, a cowardly means of distracting the readership from how depressingly the love triangle was re ...more
Darlene Gordon
Aug 27, 2014 Darlene Gordon rated it really liked it
The final book in the series and as well written as the first three. Alissa again does the impossible and leaves on a journey with Strell, Lodesh, Connen-Neute and, of course, Talon, the kestral, to find the lost masters.
Caroline
Dec 01, 2014 Caroline rated it it was amazing
Very good. Happy and sad at the same time on a lot of the events that happened. Made sense as this book needed to wrap up loose ends and chose one of many paths for the ending.
Dona
Nov 24, 2014 Dona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read/listened to this while commuting and realized that this was Kim Harrison listening to her style. Enjoyed it. Will read the other 4 in the series soon!
MarsianMan
Apr 07, 2010 MarsianMan rated it really liked it
This time Alissa dreams with a friend she used to dream about when she was younger, but this time they find out her dream is actually with one of the missing raku. They all set out on a journey to find and bring the missing Keeprs and Masters back home.

I will not say anything more because I do not want to give away the ending to this conclusion....except to say that unless you are Aiel, love triangles are a painful thing, no matter how it ends. If you liked the previous books, then I do not beli
Tien
Oct 11, 2010 Tien rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I found the beginning to drag a little bit. I think it was a combination of being 4th book (which I almost missed because I thought it was a trilogy) and because Alissa was chaffing at the bit too!

Once the story got going: Alissa & her friends went in search of Silla (the latest Raku child) and the Conclave in the expansive ocean followed by confrontations with Keribdis (wife of Useless / Talo Toecan and leader of Conclave), I got into it really easily and could not wait to finish.

The ending
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 22, 2015 09:45AM
  • Redeeming the Lost (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #3)
  • The Glasswrights' Journeyman (Glasswright, #3)
  • Bewitched & Betrayed (Raine Benares #4)
  • The Hero Strikes Back (Hero, #2)
  • Reader and Raelynx (Twelve Houses, #4)
  • Crown of Destiny (World of Hetar #6)
  • Spellweaver (Nine Kingdoms #5)
  • Dragon Blood (Hurog, #2)
  • Blood Crime (The Hollows Graphic Novel, #2)
  • Sword of Flame (Artefacts of Power, #3)
  • The Ring (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #2)
aka Kim Harrison

Dawn Cook was born on 1966 in Detroit, Michigan, USA. She grew up in the Midwest as the only girl in a family of boys, and is a self-proclaimed "former tomboy". She grew up reading science fiction and fairytales. She discovered her talent for writing at the age of 15, when she began writing down the stories that she conceived. Despite her love of writing, she took an unorthodox app
More about Dawn Cook...

Truth (4 books)
  • First Truth (Truth, #1)
  • Hidden Truth (Truth, #2)
  • Forgotten Truth (Truth, #3)