Start by marking “Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul” as Want to Read:

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  2,765 Ratings  ·  176 Reviews
Animals tend to bring out the best in people. This Chicken Soup collection of stories explores the unique bonds between animals and the people whose lives they have changed. A dog brings life to a failed marriage. A dolphin helps a paralysed woman to heal. A kitten helps a mother mourn. Each story captures the life-enhancing bonds between animals and people, conveying the ...more
Published April 17th 1998 by Chicken Soup for the Soul (first published January 1st 1998)

Sophia
Jun 15, 2009 Sophia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another goo Chicken Soup Book!! There are times that i laugh till i tear but there are times that my eyes collects tears and my heart aches in pains. This book contains many happiness, joy, but also sadness. I remember read one of the stories called "Friends" by Karen Del Tufo and i have this nostalgic feelings like when my fishes die. In the story, Sam who is a dog was adopted by a couple and later adopted a gray cat named Lighting. Eventually the dog and kitten developed a friendship r ...more
Piper
Jan 12, 2009 Piper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love animals. I've had this book for a long time; my mother gave it to me as a gift once. I decided to pick it up recently, because I was sad, I had a lot of time on my hands, and I had nothing new to read. I wasn't expecting much, because I don't remember appreciating the book as a kid. I am not sure if the stories were extra touching because they were really great or because I am a pet lover and I was just feeling really emotional at the time... Anyhow, I BAWLED. I sobbed through at least ev ...more
Me
Jun 23, 2016 Me rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many celebrity contributions in this edition. Pet stories from Gilda Radner (her dog attempted suicide to get Gene Wilder to marry her!) to James Herriot and Betty White. My only complaint is that the individual stories should have a pre-rating system of 1 tissue, 2 tissues, 3 tissues, on up to you're going to bawl your eyes out! LOL
Titish A.K.
Siapapun yang sayang sama binatang mah pasti seneng-seneng aja baca buku ini. Jelas bukan bacaan yang tepat sebagai teman mengantre atau menunggu di ruang publik karena itu sama dengan menangis di tempat umum, haha (Saya nangis waktu membaca buku ini di antrean bank :p)

Untuk buku dengan kontributor superbanyak, sepertinya editor cukup banyak berperan karena saya mendapati adanya keseragaman gaya bercerita. Bukan masalah besar karena gaya berceritanya ya asyik2 aja sih ...

Mari lanjut baca Chick
Charlotte Allen
My all time favorite series. Makes me cry, laugh, wish, hope and dream more than any series I have ever read. I love animals more than life itself so this book broke and relighted my heart overall and over. It took weeks to get over some stories. The tough stuff novel kept me crying way past my bed time. On mothers and daughters I left a little piece of me between the pages. It helped to reunite me with my family more than any series I have ever read before. I couldn't recommend these books more ...more
Rossy
Mar 19, 2015 Rossy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book is a must-read!
Even though I haven't had the chance to have a pet (but I will someday!), I love all (most) creatures, especially cats, dogs, pigs and sheep <3
It made me laugh, cry (yes, mostly cry), think, and have hope. It has tons of short adorable stories, so be sure to check it out, you won't be able to put it down!
Lanna A
Dec 14, 2014 Lanna A rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
This story full of stories is probably my favorite book ever. It has humor, and sadness, and happiness combined. It is such a great book, and I read and reread the stories over and over again. I have been inspired by this book for more than enough times, and it will continue to inspire me always.
Lisa James
Sep 02, 2011 Lisa James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I had this book, & I think I loaned it to someone. This is a collection of stories that will by turns make you smile & make you sad. But it will definitely touch your heart. I would recommend it to anyone who holds a special place in their heart for their pets, no matter if it's a fish or a dog.
Laura Thomas
Feb 28, 2016 Laura Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How do I review this amazing book?

I laughed. I cried. My heart ached, and filled with joy.

Many people contributed to this wonderful collection. They share their tales of rescue, healing, unconditional love, and letting go.

Heroes of all shapes and sizes roam these pages, both animal and human.

It’s a large book yet it reads fast. The chapters are short, most are two to three pages, and there are some fun cartoons scattered throughout.

I can’t urge you strongly enough to read this book. It’s now fou
Colleen
Mar 21, 2016 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul
This version of Chicken Soup must have been an older one, because I bought one for my Aunt for Christmas and it was specifically about dogs and cats... they also had other for different animals. The copy I read included dogs, cats, horses, and assortment of birds, etc. A lot of the stories were sad and I don't like to read things deliberately that make me sad, but I hope that none of the dog and cat stories in this copy were sacrificed to make the updated ver
Prerna
Nov 22, 2010 Prerna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PEOPLE WHO LOVE PETS MUST READ THIS!!!
Melissa
Well, I'm home sick and have been dosing myself with "Chicken Soup" all day. And I have to say, it's probably the Powerade making me feel better, not the books. Especially this one, which was downright depressing.

If you couldn't guess, this particular Chicken Soup book is about pets. The feathered and the furred kind and even a little bit of the scaly. While most of the stories seem to be about dogs, there's quite a bit of cats, a few horses, a couple stories about birds, and even one about a sn
Lisa
Apr 05, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-reviews
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul HCI, 1998, 380 pp., $11.61
by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, Marty Becker ISBN 0439780403

This book is a collection of varied themed stories. The stories are written by different authors that tells how life changing having a pet is. Many pets in this book are dogs, cats, rodents, horses, or birds.
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul is an amazing book! There are many other books like this one, for people of different souls. This one if for the pet lover'
Alessandra
I just finished this book which I have been reading for awhile now. As I was reading through the pages of the book, I came across the reading a little different than most books are. Usually in most books it's ONE story with chapters, well in this book there are short stories(including chapters) about animals narrated by people. I had to get used to the setup of it. Once I got used to it, it was easier for me to navigate through it. There are many chapters in the index part of the book, & the ...more
Madison Straatman

We all know that a pet is man's best friend. In this book, you will see just how so. This book, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, holds inspirational, humorous and heartwarming stories. Everything from a spotless Appaloosa, to the lesson one man learned from raising a pair of raccoons, to physical therapy with dolphins, this book has quite a collection of touching tales.
Susan Devy
Apr 25, 2012 Susan Devy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actually I'm no big fan of Chicken Soup series, yes, it's inspiring yet enjoyable books, but for me it's a boring book.....until I discover "for the Pet Lover's Soul"

Maybe you'll think that I'm a retarded person who laugh and cry for pets, but honestly i find that the bonds between me and my pets is strong, compare to human being.

some of these story really made me cry, and it triggered my memories of my pass pets, especially my dog who died when I was eight years old.

From pets, we learn about lo
Perchta
Feb 04, 2014 Perchta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
... I've been longing for little raccoons since I read this (: and I'm afraid raccoons can only be found in zoos in my country... An excellent book if you are a pet keeper or pet lover and do not consider your pet a "thing", but a sentient being with a soul who can enrich your life and yeah - might also make it a little tricky sometimes (:
Therese
May 02, 2012 Therese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers
$1.99

I really don't know how to explain this book except if you have ever had a pet of any kind, be sure to have some Kleenex on hand.

On the other hand, there are stories in here that will teach you and make you laugh. Many of these stories are about cats and dogs, but there are so many other animals and critters represented. Not all were pets as the title suggests, but the ones that were not pets -- Dolphins, deer, a cheat and a field mouse to name a few -- still had something to teach the peop
Ariana Escalante
I love animals like any other person but this book made me get a new perspective of animals and how I should think about my pets that I have it also gave some great tips on how to maintain them and keep them feeling loved I love this book with a passion and encourage everyone to read it
Teresa
May 09, 2016 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was gifted to me by my Maw when I was a kid and some of these stories have stuck with me . I love to re-read these when I need to laugh, cry or remember a loved pet. I love sappy, sentimental stories and animals;well, what more could I ask for from a book such as this?
Andrea
Apr 20, 2014 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must read for pet lovers! It tells the tales of many pet owners and what kinds of things they have done for their owners or favourite memories of the pet. Some of them are even stories of their pets (mostly dogs) being heroes to their owners! You will not regret reading this if you are a pet lover! :)
Karen Green Panda
Chicken soup for the Pet lovers soul is just amazing. I read this because its nice to read stories about pets that have come back or that have done wonderful things to help people cope. Recently my dog ran away( someone left the door open); however we know one of the neighbors has him and doesn't want to give him back. The stories in this book really helped me keep up hope that the man will comre to his senses and give us our dog back, or that someone will see him with our dog and stand up to h ...more
Athiah Amida
Feb 13, 2016 Athiah Amida rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It becomes the best chicken soup series I've ever read!
Warm stories, especially for animal lover.
Prepare tissue because many stories in this book will make you cry.
Never get bored re-read it :)
Mary
May 16, 2014 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short little stories. Great for a quick read before going to sleep. If you pick this book up & just want to read a few of the stories rather than the whole book, I recommend these three: Buffalo Games by Gary Paulsen, The Christmas Mouse by Diane M. Smith and Mousekeeping by Faith McNulty.
Lisa
May 31, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good stories that made me both laugh and cry in agreement. Had book for years and finally decided to read it so I could pass along the uplifting stories to someone else to enjoy.
Rosemary
Mar 09, 2015 Rosemary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved each story as it reveals simple and unusual pets. These little creatures truly teach us a new dimension of love and loyalty. Grab a box of tissues, this is a good one.
Sandra Garza
Apr 28, 2013 Sandra Garza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so good. It is filled with emotions that warm your heart. In fact it is so good that it made me cry. This book is about peoples stories about pets and their views.I totally recommend this book especially if you are a animal lover. I do recommend a box of tissues because there is a possibility you will cry. Dont get me wrong not all of the book is sad. There are some stories that will make you smile. Another reason i like this book is because it is divided into a lot of stories and i ...more
Nabila Azzahra
Mar 22, 2015 Nabila Azzahra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bagusnya dibaca setengah-setengah. Supaya tidak membosankan. Tapi, secara keseluruhan Chicken Soup memang tidak pernah mengecewakan.
Edward Amato
Apr 30, 2015 Edward Amato rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great vignettes of people and their friends that will make you laugh and cry. One of the stories is by Erma Bombeck. I miss her voice. Also Robert Fulgham and Art Linkletter.
Stacy
Apr 21, 2015 Stacy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I skipped a few depressing chapters on death it would have been better
Chicken Soup for ...: Who are your favorite inspirational authors? 2 6 Feb 25, 2013 04:12PM
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • Ferrets For Dummies
  • One at a Time: A Week in an American Animal Shelter
  • Taste Berries for Teens: Inspirational Short Stories and Encouragement on Life, Love, Friendship and Tough Issues
  • Making Kind Choices: Everyday Ways to Enhance Your Life Through Earth- and Animal-Friendly Living
  • Dog Heroes of September 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs
  • Animals as Teachers and Healers: True Stories and Reflections
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
  • Shelter Dogs: Amazing Stories of Adopted Strays
  • All My Patients Kick and Bite: More Favorite Stories from a Vet's Practice
  • Pelajaran Berharga (Chicken Soup for the Soul Graphic Novel, #2)
  • The Puppy That Came for Christmas: How a Dog Brought One Family the Gift of Joy
  • A Rare Breed of Love: The True Story of Baby and the Mission She Inspired to Help Dogs Everywhere
  • The Character of Cats: The Origins, Intelligence, Behavior, and Stratagems of Felis Silvestris Catus
  • Angel Cats: Divine Messengers of Comfort
  • The Social Lives of Dogs: The Grace of Canine Company
  • Giant George: Life with the World's Biggest Dog
  • The Trouble With Lacy Brown (Mule Hollow, #1)

Canfield received a BA in Chi
More about Jack Canfield...