Start by marking “The Golden Dawn: The Original Account of the Teachings, Rites, and Ceremonies of the Hermetic Order” as Want to Read:

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,257 ratings  ·  27 reviews
The Golden Dawn by Israel Regardie is considered by many to be the book that started the modern occult movement. The original Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, which started in the late 1800s, borrowed from a wide variety of occult traditions ó Kabalah, Tarot, Geomancy, Enochian Magic, Theosophy, Freemasonry, Paganism, Astrology, and many more ó and created a unique and v ...more
Published September 8th 2002 by Llewellyn Publications (first published 1982)

Errin Davenport
The book, "The Golden Dawn," is not a graded course although it contains enough material to keep one studying for years. Multitudes of subjects one can take lifetimes to master, Astrology, Tarot, Numerology, Geomancy, Meditation, Alchemy, Enochian system, QBL, ect., can be found here in great detail.

By going through a graded course such as the Cicero's, "Self Initiation," or "Modern Magick," by Donald Michael Kraig and using this book as supplementary material one could make much progress upon
Maureen
Aug 04, 2008 Maureen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: occult
This book is worth taking a look at in regard to some of his interesting research into the occult. The problem is, one must take the time to separate the wheat from the chaff, and unless the reader has already delved into other sources, this can be quite tedious. In the end, I found not much of use here, and in general, I thought it was a big yawn.
Angus
I really own this book. It was expensive. This is by far the most expensive D&D Manual I've ever laid eyes on. I've tried to cast some spells from this book, and I think my energy was off or something because I don't have a Mercedes, most of my enemies are blissfully living, etc. Kinda disappointed....oh, one other thing. If, you actually read this whole book, you are certifiably insane.
Ima Heretic
This got me interested in Thelema. Wonderful reading, tons of information from a "Christ-ian" point of view. I had this book a long time ago and lost it a few years later, have yet to buy it again. Granted, most of the rituals in here are not for the Thelemite, but it does the basic structure and knowledge of the system which Aleister Crowley reworked to become the A.'.A.'. It also tells of alchemy and some stories surrounding the philosopher's stone. Note that that the ankh (soul symbol) is Gre ...more
Sam
Jan 03, 2012 Sam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: occult
Not really something "to read", just more of a nice, comprehensive reference to have on mysticism and the occult.
Zendali
Why is it that people who are into occultism, are so interested in jewish mysticism?
These rituals contain a lot of quotes from the Bible, more from the Old testament, but also from the New testament. Some hebrew, greek and latin words and/or sentences here and there, then some unidentified languages that you can google and find out what it is supposed to be. Qabbalah stuff, but I’d rather read the Bible or the Zohar, than this.

I read one third of the book, but the only parts worth reading were
Marc Adams
Do What Thou Wilt Shall be the whole of the Law! 93! I call this book "The Black Brick" because it looks like a big, black brick! It is not a book that you will sit down and read straight through. You will find yourself becoming distracted by more interesting things, and well this book will take a year of so to get through. The most frustrating thing about this book is it contains a lot of nonsensical arcane rituals that you will find no one to help you understand them because you don't possess ...more
Walter Five
This is the Big Kahuna for Golden Dawn students-- Originally published in 1936 in 4 volumes, Llewellyn Press's 1st Edition was an unedited 2-volume collection of the 4-volume set, and the Llewellyn 2nd Edition was a "Revised and Expanded" 2-volume edition, even larger than the first set.

This edition takes that 2-volume expanded set and puts it in a single volume with all of the information present-- no editing, condensing, or abbreviation of the original material can be found when comparing diff
Sandy
Part of my library of reference materials I used in my comparative religion study. Not a sit and read on a rainy day, or entertainment book, just a grat reference novel to revisit.
Andrew
Good for a reference book, not to sit down and read the whole way through.
Starland
Feb 26, 2011 Starland rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Starland by: dozens of dumbasses
Shelves: occult
I ordered this monster mainly because this is one of those damn books that every dumbass in the magick scene touts as one you just have to have! This is NOT a book! It is a ponderous tome consisting of notes and rituals (most of which are impossible to understand...LOL) of an 19th century magickal Order....a secret society....YAWN. IF YOU ARE NEW TO MAGICK....DO NOT...DO NOT....ORDER THIS! Check out Donald Michael Kraig's "Modern Magick" or something like that. If you are so hot about the H.O.G. ...more
Karen
It was interesting to read this. There are so many conspiracy theories about the "Illuminti" and such that I wanted to read their text. It is pretty much what I expected. It's got some interesting information, but it's mostly just rituals and stuff. Pretty dull. I wouldn't really recommend it.
Harshita
Although complete in itself, the book contains so much information that one can't do without having other reference books along side. Ideal for anyone who doesn't mind detailed studies that indeed consume a lot of time.
Andy
Unless you are really interested in the occult, this book is really boring. I read it during my religion phase, and I haven't picked it up since. I'm not ripping on the book, it's just not my cup of tea...
Randal
I wanted to know not so much what the Golden Dawn folk actually did as what they thought they were doing with their ceremonial magic. Now I know.

Well worth buying cheap.
Aaron Meyer
The original groundbreaking occult work of the 20th century. Regardie's printing of all the GD lessons had alot of blowback but in the end it was all a good thing.
Bob Schweiger
This is a set of 2 books 6 volumns that contain the teachings and rituals of the Masonic Order. As background reading it is a must for those interested in occult.
Ayam Abraxas
A symposium of the knowledge, rituals, and lectures of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. Absolutely first class and essential to any real magician.
El Galan
Well I am still reading, but the information, the rituals, etc all seem pretty interesting
Jeremy Marshall
An excellent and most comprehensive handbook for modern occultists and scholars.
Jeff Lamberson
Nov 07, 2012 Jeff Lamberson marked it as to-read
not a book you read from cover-to-cover...
Tom
Mind blowingly complex teachings in occultism
Rudina Bridgewater
good resource book for ceremonial magic
A.
REQUIRED READING!!!
Josh Breckenridge
Very hard to follow
Laplace Demon
Laplace Demon marked it as to-read
Katya
Katya marked it as to-read
Artful Existence
Artful Existence marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abra-Melin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • Magick: Liber ABA: Book 4
  • The Mystical Qabalah
  • The Goetia the Lesser Key of Solomon the King: Lemegeton, Book 1 Clavicula Salomonis Regis
  • The Magick of Aleister Crowley: A Handbook of the Rituals of Thelema
  • Transcendental Magic: Its Doctrine and Ritual
  • Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts
  • Three Books of Occult Philosophy
  • Liber Null and Psychonaut: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • Initiation Into Hermetics
Israel Regardie (born Francis Israel Regudy) was considered by many to be the last living Adept of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. At an early age, Regardie worked as Aleister Crowley's personal secretary. In addition to his extensive writings, Regardie practiced as a chiropractor and as a neo-Reichian therapist. He taught psychiatry at the Los Angeles College of Chiropractic and contribute ...more
More about Israel Regardie...
The Tree of Life: An Illustrated Study in Magic The Middle Pillar: The Balance Between Mind and Magic A Garden of Pomegranates: Skrying on the Tree of Life The Eye in the Triangle: An Interpretation of Aleister Crowley The Complete Golden Dawn System Of Magic (Ltd Edition)