Start by marking “The Golden Dawn: The Original Account of the Teachings, Rites, and Ceremonies of the Hermetic Order” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1,592 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
The Golden Dawn by Israel Regardie is considered by many to be the book that started the modern occult movement. The original Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, which started in the late 1800s, borrowed from a wide variety of occult traditions ó Kabalah, Tarot, Geomancy, Enochian Magic, Theosophy, Freemasonry, Paganism, Astrology, and many more ó and created a unique and v ...more
Published September 8th 2002 by Llewellyn Publications (first published 1982)

Angus
Oct 15, 2011 Angus rated it it was ok
I really own this book. It was expensive. This is by far the most expensive D&D Manual I've ever laid eyes on. I've tried to cast some spells from this book, and I think my energy was off or something because I don't have a Mercedes, most of my enemies are blissfully living, etc. Kinda disappointed....oh, one other thing. If, you actually read this whole book, you are certifiably insane.
Maureen
Aug 04, 2008 Maureen rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: occult
This book is worth taking a look at in regard to some of his interesting research into the occult. The problem is, one must take the time to separate the wheat from the chaff, and unless the reader has already delved into other sources, this can be quite tedious. In the end, I found not much of use here, and in general, I thought it was a big yawn.
Errin Davenport
Sep 08, 2011 Errin Davenport rated it it was amazing
The book, "The Golden Dawn," is not a graded course although it contains enough material to keep one studying for years. Multitudes of subjects one can take lifetimes to master, Astrology, Tarot, Numerology, Geomancy, Meditation, Alchemy, Enochian system, QBL, ect., can be found here in great detail.

By going through a graded course such as the Cicero's, "Self Initiation," or "Modern Magick," by Donald Michael Kraig and using this book as supplementary material one could make much progress upon
Zadignose
Apr 15, 2015 Zadignose rated it did not like it
Outrageously bogus, utter nonsense, but I must admit I read this thing in my youth.
Cameron
Sep 11, 2011 Cameron rated it really liked it
Shelves: occult
This got me interested in Thelema. Wonderful reading, tons of information from a "Christ-ian" point of view. I had this book a long time ago and lost it a few years later, have yet to buy it again. Granted, most of the rituals in here are not for the Thelemite, but it does the basic structure and knowledge of the system which Aleister Crowley reworked to become the A.'.A.'. It also tells of alchemy and some stories surrounding the philosopher's stone. Note that that the ankh (soul symbol) is Gre ...more
Sam
Jan 03, 2012 Sam rated it really liked it
Shelves: occult
Not really something "to read", just more of a nice, comprehensive reference to have on mysticism and the occult.
Zendali
Nov 21, 2014 Zendali rated it did not like it
Why is it that people who are into occultism, are so interested in jewish mysticism?
These rituals contain a lot of quotes from the Bible, more from the Old testament, but also from the New testament. Some hebrew, greek and latin words and/or sentences here and there, then some unidentified languages that you can google and find out what it is supposed to be. Qabbalah stuff, but I’d rather read the Bible or the Zohar, than this.

I read one third of the book, but the only parts worth reading were
Marc Adams
Nov 01, 2013 Marc Adams rated it liked it
Do What Thou Wilt Shall be the whole of the Law! 93! I call this book "The Black Brick" because it looks like a big, black brick! It is not a book that you will sit down and read straight through. You will find yourself becoming distracted by more interesting things, and well this book will take a year of so to get through. The most frustrating thing about this book is it contains a lot of nonsensical arcane rituals that you will find no one to help you understand them because you don't possess ...more
Stephen Simpson
Mar 09, 2016 Stephen Simpson rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
I've seen sets of stereo instructions that are more interesting than this. While I enjoy reading about alchemy, the occult, magic, and so on, it boggles my mind that this book is regarded as foundational to the modern occult movement.

I suspect that the author was either nuts, under the influence of something a little stronger than tea, or just wrote down inane gibberish to see how many knuckleheads would eat it up and find it profound. At best, it seems like somebody reasonably well-versed in C
Walter Five
Apr 27, 2013 Walter Five rated it it was amazing
Shelves: occult
This is the Big Kahuna for Golden Dawn students-- Originally published in 1936 in 4 volumes, Llewellyn Press's 1st Edition was an unedited 2-volume collection of the 4-volume set, and the Llewellyn 2nd Edition was a "Revised and Expanded" 2-volume edition, even larger than the first set.

This edition takes that 2-volume expanded set and puts it in a single volume with all of the information present-- no editing, condensing, or abbreviation of the original material can be found when comparing diff
Starland
Feb 26, 2011 Starland rated it liked it
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Starland by: dozens of dumbasses
Shelves: occult
I ordered this monster mainly because this is one of those damn books that every dumbass in the magick scene touts as one you just have to have! This is NOT a book! It is a ponderous tome consisting of notes and rituals (most of which are impossible to understand...LOL) of an 19th century magickal Order....a secret society....YAWN. IF YOU ARE NEW TO MAGICK....DO NOT...DO NOT....ORDER THIS! Check out Donald Michael Kraig's "Modern Magick" or something like that. If you are so hot about the H.O.G. ...more
Bob German
Mar 04, 2015 Bob German rated it really liked it
Whether you believe or not, this is an amazing collection of information, correlations and interesting data that you just won't find assembled in one place anywhere else. A volume worthy of anyone's reference shelf.
Andy
Aug 31, 2009 Andy rated it did not like it
Unless you are really interested in the occult, this book is really boring. I read it during my religion phase, and I haven't picked it up since. I'm not ripping on the book, it's just not my cup of tea...
Karen
Feb 11, 2013 Karen rated it it was ok
It was interesting to read this. There are so many conspiracy theories about the "Illuminti" and such that I wanted to read their text. It is pretty much what I expected. It's got some interesting information, but it's mostly just rituals and stuff. Pretty dull. I wouldn't really recommend it.
Jennifer Kneif
Jul 04, 2016 Jennifer Kneif rated it it was amazing
Probably only for masochists. Loving it so far, although I admit I've not got past the introduction yet.
Bob Schweiger
Nov 27, 2007 Bob Schweiger rated it it was amazing
This is a set of 2 books 6 volumns that contain the teachings and rituals of the Masonic Order. As background reading it is a must for those interested in occult.
Aaron Meyer
Jan 10, 2014 Aaron Meyer rated it liked it
Shelves: occult
The original groundbreaking occult work of the 20th century. Regardie's printing of all the GD lessons had alot of blowback but in the end it was all a good thing.
Randal
Apr 26, 2008 Randal rated it liked it
I wanted to know not so much what the Golden Dawn folk actually did as what they thought they were doing with their ceremonial magic. Now I know.

Well worth buying cheap.
Sandy
Part of my library of reference materials I used in my comparative religion study. Not a sit and read on a rainy day, or entertainment book, just a grat reference novel to revisit.
Alvin Huntsman
Alvin Huntsman rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2012
William
William rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2014
Robert Merritt
Robert Merritt rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2014
Deborah Rankin
Deborah Rankin rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Megan Kendall
Megan Kendall rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2013
Sheikh Tajamul
Sheikh Tajamul rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Cassandra Lewis
Cassandra Lewis rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2013
Onur Ibrahim
Onur Ibrahim rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2016
Skip Everheart
Skip Everheart rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2012
surd
surd rated it really liked it
May 25, 2007
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • 777 and Other Qabalistic Writings of Aleister Crowley
  • The Magick of Aleister Crowley: A Handbook of the Rituals of Thelema
  • The Mystical Qabalah
  • The Goetia the Lesser Key of Solomon the King: Lemegeton, Book 1 Clavicula Salomonis Regis
  • Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts
  • Three Books of Occult Philosophy
  • Transcendental Magic: Its Doctrine and Ritual
  • Liber Null and Psychonaut: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • Initiation Into Hermetics
  • Self-Initiation Into the Golden Dawn Tradition: A Complete Cirriculum of Study for Both the Solitary Magician and the Working Magical Group
Israel Regardie (born Francis Israel Regudy) was considered by many to be the last living Adept of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. At an early age, Regardie worked as Aleister Crowley's personal secretary. In addition to his extensive writings, Regardie practiced as a chiropractor and as a neo-Reichian therapist. He taught psychiatry at the Los Angeles College of Chiropractic and contribute ...more
More about Israel Regardie...