Start by marking “Basic Research Methods for Librarians (Library and Information Science Text Series)” as Want to Read:

3.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  121 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews

Most library post-graduate programs teach research methods using generic research methods textbooks. However, this ground-breaking textbook covers the basic research methodologies likely to be used by librarians with an orientation to library issues. It also includes basic instructions on writing the research proposal and the research report.

Most library post-graduate prog

Paperback, Fourth Edition, 360 pages
Published November 30th 2004 by Libraries Unlimited (first published January 1st 1985)

Kimberly
Apr 08, 2011 Kimberly rated it liked it
Shelves: suny, library-science
This book provides a solid overview for research methods for the library and information science fields. The book covers such topics as: developing a research study, selecting a research method, picking the best sampling method, various types of research, data analysis, and styles/outlines to follow when writing research proposals and reports. A rather dry read, but full of good information useful for information professionals. I read it for a class in which I had to write a research grant propo ...more
Benjamin
Jan 30, 2016 Benjamin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libraries
Disappointing. Too focused on quantitative methods, giving it a musty 1960s feeling. Also, generally disorganized and dry.
Scott
This stuff made my head implode. But I had a great teacher.
George Shrake
May 26, 2016 George Shrake rated it liked it
While not what I was looking for when I was searching for a book to read as part of my goal to also read for professional development, the subject matter was well beyond my ken, it was interesting nonetheless. What I found most interesting was the idea that there was a distinct difference between "Traditional Librarianship" and "Library and Information Science" (LIS). That the "science" aspect is relatively recent phenomenon and as a result LIS does not have a strong foundation of theory for LIS ...more
Tatjana
This book uses 10-dollar words where a 1-dollar word would be just fine... and wouldn't diminish the academic quality of the work. While it didn't change any understanding of the text, it made reading it devastatingly ponderous. It's a shame, because the subject is quite interesting.
Karla
Apr 30, 2011 Karla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an outstanding book on research methods in library and information science. It is relatively easy to read and is current as of April 2011. The book helped me to see the value in completing and sharing research in library and information science.
Christa
Really helped me to complete my research analysis and great for helping you focus on journal entries. As for today, I'm not sure if the information will be helpful, since it's sorta dated.
Jeff
Jul 06, 2008 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-text, research
An excellent introduction for all social science research. Especially useful for aspiring librarians and information professionals. I found this text very informative.
Greg
Does exactly what it says. Helpful if you're writing a research proposal, but you'd never want to pick it up otherwise.
Lexi
Aug 01, 2015 Lexi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I actually only skimmed the last chapter. Shh!
Mp
Apr 24, 2008 Mp rated it it was amazing
I learned basic research methods for librarians.
Sarah Sammis
Read over summer session.
Dec 22, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
school book
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Hafiz Nazeer
Hafiz Nazeer marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
David Jardine
David Jardine marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2016
Amanda
Amanda added it
Feb 10, 2016
Mustaq Ahmad
Mustaq Ahmad rated it did not like it
Feb 03, 2016
Rah_r29yahoo.Com
Rah_r29yahoo.Com marked it as to-read
Stanley Faris
Stanley Faris marked it as to-read
Ravindra Subhash
Ravindra Subhash marked it as to-read
Mallory
Mallory rated it it was ok
May 11, 2016
Nailah
Nailah marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Msbookworm
Msbookworm rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Management Basics for Information Professionals
  • The Oxford Guide to Library Research
  • Foundations of Library and Information Science
  • Library and Information Center Management
  • The Portable MLIS: Insights from the Experts
  • Reading Matters: What the Research Reveals about Reading, Libraries, and Community
  • Questioning Library Neutrality: Essays from Progressive Librarian
  • Readers' Advisory Service in the Public Library
  • Reference and Information Services in the 21st Century : An Introduction
  • Reference and Information Services: An Introduction (Library and Information Science Text Series)
  • The Coming of the Book: The Impact of Printing 1450-1800
  • The Story Of Libraries: From The Invention Of Writing To The Computer Age
  • Reflective Teaching, Effective Learning: Instructional Literacy for Library Educators
  • Librarian's Guide to Online Searching
  • The Practice of Social Research
  • The Atlas of New Librarianship
  • Revolting Librarians Redux: Radical Librarians Speak Out
  • The Anarchist in the Library: How the Clash Between Freedom and Control Is Hacking the Real World and Crashing the System