Start by marking “Our Librarian Won't Tell Us Anything!: A Mrs. Skorupski Story [With Book]” as Want to Read:
Our Librarian Won't Tell Us Anything!: A Mrs. Skorupski Story [With Book]

Our Librarian Won't Tell Us Anything!: A Mrs. Skorupski Story [With Book]

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  31 reviews
According to Carmen, a fourth-grader, her school's librarian won't tell students anything Fortunately, her classmate Robert doesn't believe Carmen. When he asks Mrs. Skorupski question after question, she leads Robert to the tools he needs to find the answers, and he becomes a Library Success Story. The book's engaging text and fun illustrations will have your students cla ...more
Published October 15th 2006 by Upstart Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Our Librarian Won't Tell Us Anything!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Librarian Won't Tell Us Anything!

Laurie
Megan
Librarians and teachers may find this useful in teaching students to find information for themselves. Students may find this to be a bit preachy.
Ruth Ann
This is a realistic fiction story about a school Librarian who doesn't just give students answers, but rather she teaches them to use the library and its resources so students can independently answer their own questions.
The librarian is a character. She wears tarantula earrings and uses funny expressions like "oily doily". Will kids find her funny and enjoy the story or will they just think the book is a "gimmick"? I am betting that lots of librarians will love Mrs. Skorupski but I think she w
Toni Buzzeo is a library guru and I'm not surprised that she's turned her talents to writing a book about libraries for children. Robert is a new fourth grader at Liberty Elementary School and when he visits the library, he finds a dynamic and exciting program. The only problem is that Mrs. Skorupski, who wears dangly tarantula earrings, won't tell the students anything. And it's true that Mrs. Skorupski won't TELL you anything but she'll certainly SHOW you how to do anything.

There are some clea
Ms Threlkeld
As a brand new school librarian I couldn't resist reading this. I liked the overall story and the fact that Mrs. Skorupski modeled skills to her students instead of just handing over information. I think kids would get a bit antsy if this was a read-aloud because there is so much text.
Mary
Another picture book in the Mrs. Skorupski series about using the library and its resources. The librarian, Mrs. Skorupski, shows her students how to evaluate websites for internet research. This is a helpful resource for introducing media literacy.
Cynthia
Love this book. Just ended our 1st grade research project with it and they loved that they knew their librarian teaches them how to find things, not tell them where things are. :)
Lynn
Oh, the clever librarian who makes the students figure out things for themselves! Serious humor with colorful illustrations.
Sarah Anderson
Good book for teaching children they must figure things out for their self.
Nancy Sievert
Super cute to read to 4th grade at the beginning of school!
Sherri Mitchell
AWESOME TEACHING TOOL FOR THE SCHOOL LIBRARIAN~~ :)
Dale
Age of readership: Grades 2-5
Genre: Picture Book
Diversity: Being independent
Description of the illustrations: Bright, colorful drawings
Personal response to the book: A funny story a a school librarian will not give you a book but rather teach you how to find on your own.
Curricular and programming connections: A good book for a school librarian to discuss with a class in a school library the various resources and how to use them.
Nathan Willard
I initially got this book out of a sense of obligation to my librarian friends. But my interest in the book, perhaps along with something else in the story, made my 3.5 year-old want to read it every night. It isn't much of a story--more an illustration of how librarians can give people the tools to answer questions rather than answering questions themselves (unless the tools are insufficient for, say, 10 year-olds).
Benjamin Kelien
I thought this book was really helpful because the student was never actually shown how to do the things she asked. She was scaffolded by the librarian to help her research the things she's trying to find. While one student says that the librarian won't help them, the girl sees what the librarian is trying to do and teaches others how to find stuff at the end of the story. I would recommend this for 4th graders.
Denee
Great book! As an elementary school librarian, I loved the fun and quirkiness of Mrs. Skorupski and how she "didn't" help the students. Fun.
Kixie
The school librarian teaches children to use the tools they need to succeed, instead of supplying them with an answer. Some of his classmates don't understand, but Robert is helped by Mrs. Skorupski to become a Library Success Story.
Dana Pressnell
Too "teachy" for my taste
Heather Manning
Jul 14, 2008 Heather Manning added it
Recommended to Heather by: Jan Watts
This book would make a great addition to the training manual for any school or public librarian, and also any AnyQuestions operator.! Information literacy rulz!!
Annie
Sep 06, 2011 Annie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 2nd - 4th graders
Very fun way to set the tone for the school year. I will be using this for 3rd graders - and maybe 4th or 2nd. I'll use it to introduce our new circulation system.
Leah Lemon
This book is great. It tries to teach the value of having someone teach you how to do something versus them just telling you what to do. Its very cute.
Leslie
Fun book about a new student's experience with Mrs. Skorupski and the library. She won't tell him anything, but it's amazing what he learns!
Kristin
I loved this book! What a great way to show how librarians DO tell you things, yet learn how to search for information and resources on your own. :)
Lea
Great book to teach why it is important to be information literate and independent... and when you should contact your librarian for help.
Suz
Makes the point that the students are supposed to do the research, the librarian is there to help them with research skills and pointers.
Shawn
Another great teaching book that is also fun to read to students. Teach students how to find what they need in the library.
Janis
Great lesson in teaching/learning how to help yourself and how working together is a wonderful thing.
Megengelter
4th grade... librarian doesn't give answers... she SHOWS HOW TO FIND information!
Alison
I liked the title and the concept, but overall found the text a bit wordy and dogmatic.
Tammy
Shows kids how to use the library and find books in fiction and non-fiction areas.
Zonia
A library success story about helping children who can help themselves in the library.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
One Cool Friend No T. Rex in the Library The Sea Chest Lighthouse Christmas Little Loon and Papa