The Kiss That Missed

The Kiss That Missed

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  363 ratings  ·  77 reviews
One evening, when the King is in a hurry, his goodnight kiss to the Little Prince goes astray. After rattling around the Prince's bedroom, it flies out the window and floats into the dark forest, where it has no business to be. The King decides to do something about it. He orders the Knight to climb on his horse, ride into the forest, and bring back the kiss. But the fores...more
Published August 10th 2002 by Barron's Educational Series (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Kiss That Missed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kiss That Missed

Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Mystic Princesses and the Whirlpool by P.J. LaRueI Can Cook " Cake Baking" by Marika GermanisFancy Nancy by Jane O'ConnorOlivia by Ian Falconer
Best little girl books
91st out of 329 books — 240 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
401st out of 1,169 books — 900 voters

More lists with this book...

Debee
This cover of this book leads the reader to believe there might be a fair maiden who is delivering the kiss... Once the story begins we learn that the wayward kiss is delivered by the busy king who is not attentive to his son and misses his son's cheek.. Thereby bouncing around the room and out the window... Thus creating a chase scene by a faithful royal knight. The misadventures of the knight are comical and the illustrations delightful.
I first chose to read this story to a classroom of stude...more
Michael
A glossy, eye catching cover always gets my attention and this one promises great action and adventure. The high standard of detail continues through the entire book and some illustrations have a comic book effect.
It is a narrative of a very busy king who blows a kiss at this son, but it misses and flys out the bedroom window. Upon realising the kiss has missed the king employs one of his loyal knights to retrieve it. As this clumsy knight hunts down the flying kiss he is taken through wild wood...more
Sara Jones
A harried king blows his son a Royal Kiss, but in the king's haste, the kiss misses the prince, rattles around the room, and flies out the window into the night. A blundering knight sets out into the wild wood to retrieve the kiss and return it to it's rightful owner. "Wild creatures with wild eyes, too much hair, and very bad manners lived there." Will the knight return with the kiss or will he be eaten by the dangerous creatures of the wild wood night?

I thought this book was ultra fun and char...more
Jessica
I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone. This was one of those make-you-feel-all-warm-and-fuzzy-inside, smile-like-a-fool type of books for me. The king's goodnight kiss misses the little prince, and that's such a fun idea! Then, not only does the kiss miss, the king sends a knight to go after it! This story is so lovable in the fact that any parent could relate to this king. How many of our own kisses probably miss? But we do mean them with love, and if we could send a knight to recl...more
Tony Meyer
Absolutely one of my favourite kids stories. Melling's illustrations are amazingly good, and this is a great story as well.

It's great for typical boys (knight, dragon) and typical girls (princess, kiss). It has a great moral that isn't in-your-face (in fact, the kids probably don't overtly get it, which is fine, since it's aimed at the parents too).

Can't recommend this highly enough.
April Poulter
This is a delightful story! Both the illustrations and the story are fun. The title of this picture book is somewhat misleading. I was expecting to read about a sleeping princess and a prince that came to kiss her and accidentally missed and all the mishaps that occurred with that. Instead it begins with a father blowing his son a kiss because he doesn't have time to stop and spend time with him, but the kiss misses. The rest of the story is about the wanderings of the missed kiss, a knight who...more
Daniel
This story goes to show that an insignificant event gone wrong could lead to some amazing things happening. Although this story is fictional, the concept is more realistic than often thought of (though not with a blown kiss). Think about it, let's say you accidentally flicked a marble under your couch. When the couch gets moved, what might you find under that couch besides that marble? A coin? A toy? The remote control someone lost last month? Your lost homework? A letter from a secret admirer?...more
Lisa Hartmann
The Kiss That Missed by David Melling is another favorite picture book of mine! The story is about a busy King that blows his son a kiss goodnight but it misses! The kiss bounces all around and then out the window. The King calls his Knight to go get it. The story is fill with humor and fun. I would tend to think boys may like it more then girls because it has a dragon, bears and wolves. Although it isn't scary. The illustrations are fun,brightly colored and silly! It teaches the King a lesson t...more
Sheng Yang
I really enjoyed this book, thought it was just the cutest thing ever. It was simple with large print to read. The artwork was goofy in a sense that anyone could enjoy especially children. At first I thought it would be about a princess, especially with a knight on the cover, but I was wrong. It was about the kiss that missed! The knight actually goes and look for the kissed and a long the way runs into many obstacles. It is interesting that the kiss actually helps him along the way too. Overall...more
Alana
This is one of the first books that I bought for my godson that caused me to be incredibly pleased with myself. Most of the books that I bought for him up to that point were books that already I knew about, books that I had grown up with, or books that were perhaps more popular and had somehow been made known to me even though I was entering college when Cole was born. (I may have bought him books that were way beyond his own reading level, but were still great to read to him.)
It was just such a...more
Julianna
A lovely story about a kiss that was blown to far and went right out the window. Join a clumsy knight and his sheepish steed who journey across the kingdom to retrieve the precious kiss and return it to the King's young boy. I loved the idea for the quest and the fact the kiss caused the scary critters that were after the knight to be tamed. Overall, a very adorable story.
Jennica Crockett
This was such a cute story! I loved the drawings and the way the words were also included in the pictures. It would be a great book to have at home for a bed time story. I would probably use it more in home than I would in the classroom. I enjoyed it and thought it had a cute, new story that was new and different. I think younger children would love this book as well.
Emily
I found this cute little book to be very endearing. I loved the fact that the major quest in this book was to capture an escaped goodnight kiss. I also loved the illustrations; they were bright and colorful and perfect to keep the attention of young children. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone with young children. They would love it!
Heather
I loved this story and I thought it was a cute read. The pictures were fun, colorful, and lively. I think the message is to take time to make the most of the small, but meaningful things. Don't rush the little things in life, like a kiss, because they could be missed.
Shelem Horton
I would recommend this book to everyone, boys and girls. It's fun, well written, the pictures are so wonderfully illustrated, and it's so fun to read! I like the title a lot because the story it's not what you think it is, it's different, cute, and very unique. I truly want to have a copy of my own!
Carola
Lovely! A 'once upon a time' story that makes everyone's heart tender. I love the fact that there is a cavalier but there isn't any princess. My nephew's favorite one! Also available in Spanish and hard cover!
Ashley Plummer
I loved this book! It was a really good book to read, I'm a nanny for a 3 year old and I think he would especially love it. This is a good book for kids at any age. I'm almost 19 and I thought it was one of the sweetest children's books I've read in a long time.
Kayla Skeans
This is such a great book that I would personally read it to a classroom and my future children. With how simple and cute the book had been. A goodnight kiss the misses because the king is in such a rush when he should be slowing down to spend time with his family.
Lauren Briggs
I thought the beginning of this book was super funny. Then slowly as the book went on I lost interest and by the end I noticed that I wasn’t even listening anymore. I didn’t see a lesson to be learned or a theme. I don’t plan on reading this book to my students in the future.
Jeff
Just as the kiss in the title misses it's mark (a young prince on his way to dream land), this picture book also misses it's mark in never living up to it's potential. The premise is that a very busy king rushes by the prince's bed room at bedtime and blows a kiss that misses the prince. The kiss flies out a window and the king summons his "best" knight to track down the kiss. The illustrations are delightful and full of whimsy and the knight does head out on a grand adventrue. However this is w...more
Ashley Whiteley
A very interesting story. The illustrations in the book are quite incredible. Boys and girls would both enjoy the story. There are dragons, princess, and kisses. It is a very humorous and fresh story.Kids of all ages will love it.
Luzali
las ilustraciones son bellísimas y la historia es tierna
claro que al ver al león pienso en un lannister pero este caballero es buena onda
Chimney
I read this book to my nephew and thought it had a very charming story. The knight in it does not go on a quest to save a beautiful damsel-in-distress, but to retrieve a kiss that has flown away and was intended to be given to the young prince from his very busy father, the king. I think the book has a good message to it. That sometimes we should slow down in life and remember things (and people) that are truly important. My nephew also really enjoyed this book and the illustrations are lovely....more
Alexis
Adorable! This book was such a fun story and it was so original. I love books like this that are happy and kind of silly, I think they are perfect for little kids.
Brittany Spahr
Great for 1st and 2nd graders to read and for younger children it is funny to listen to. There are a lot of pictures, changes in font sizes, and few words on a page.
Becky
A knight/bedtime story with a twist. Lots of fun!
Miriam
Söt och väldigt mysigt tecknat.

Kacy
Great book for bedtime reading.
Nanci Booher
From the first illustration of the book, I was hooked. The king, in a big hurry, blows his son a kiss, but it misses. The prince tells the Queen who tells the King who calls upon his loyal Knight to follow the kiss. What ensues is the tale of the Knight's journey to find the kiss. At last the Knight stumbles upon the kiss....and a Dragon. I think this is a delightful story about taking time to slow down and appreciate everything life has to offer.
Senda
This is one of my favorite bedtime books. It's light and humorous with adorable illustrations. The king's goodnight kiss to his son misses, and the brave knight goes off to bring it back through many trials and tribulations. Fortunately the kiss is there to save him from anything too nasty and to make sure everyone gets a good night's sleep. Oh, and don't forget to watch the lion on the knight's shield; he's reacting too!
  • Shark In The Park
  • What! Cried Granny
  • Mister Magnolia
  • Noni The Pony
  • I Love You, Blue Kangaroo!
  • Baby Brains: The Smartest Baby in the Whole World
  • Mr. Archimedes' Bath
  • Not Now, Bernard Mini Treasure
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball
  • Whatever
  • Augustus And His Smile
  • Handa's Surprise: Read and Share
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
  • Beegu
  • Mr. Gumpy's Motor Car
  • Stella, Star of the Sea
  • That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown
Hugless Douglas Don't Worry, Douglas! The Scallywags Good Knight Sleep Tight Hugless Douglas and the Big Sleep