Start by marking “The Kiss That Missed” as Want to Read:
The Kiss That Missed

The Kiss That Missed

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  565 ratings  ·  105 reviews
One evening, when the King is in a hurry, his goodnight kiss to the Little Prince goes astray. After rattling around the Prince's bedroom, it flies out the window and floats into the dark forest, where it has no business to be. The King decides to do something about it. He orders the Knight to climb on his horse, ride into the forest, and bring back the kiss. But the fores ...more
Published August 10th 2002 by Barron's Educational Series (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Kiss That Missed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kiss That Missed

Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Mystic Princesses and the Whirlpool by P.J. LaRueI Can Cook " Cake Baking" by Marika GermanisFancy Nancy by Jane O'ConnorOlivia by Ian Falconer
Best little girl books
87th out of 338 books — 253 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
470th out of 1,675 books — 1,114 voters

More lists with this book...

My son, Fin, gets two stories at nap time, and two more at bedtime, and frequently a few more scattered throughout the day. At last count he owned well over a hundred books of his own, plus an extra five from the library at any one time. He's 2 and 1/2 years old. This is how you raise a book addict.

If I stopped to review all of them, I wouldn't have time to read any other books. Or go to work. Or wash. So I tend to review just my favourites, or his. This is one of his favourites.

It's got a king,
This cover of this book leads the reader to believe there might be a fair maiden who is delivering the kiss... Once the story begins we learn that the wayward kiss is delivered by the busy king who is not attentive to his son and misses his son's cheek.. Thereby bouncing around the room and out the window... Thus creating a chase scene by a faithful royal knight. The misadventures of the knight are comical and the illustrations delightful.
I first chose to read this story to a classroom of stude
A glossy, eye catching cover always gets my attention and this one promises great action and adventure. The high standard of detail continues through the entire book and some illustrations have a comic book effect.
It is a narrative of a very busy king who blows a kiss at this son, but it misses and flys out the bedroom window. Upon realising the kiss has missed the king employs one of his loyal knights to retrieve it. As this clumsy knight hunts down the flying kiss he is taken through wild wood
Sara Jones
A harried king blows his son a Royal Kiss, but in the king's haste, the kiss misses the prince, rattles around the room, and flies out the window into the night. A blundering knight sets out into the wild wood to retrieve the kiss and return it to it's rightful owner. "Wild creatures with wild eyes, too much hair, and very bad manners lived there." Will the knight return with the kiss or will he be eaten by the dangerous creatures of the wild wood night?

I thought this book was ultra fun and char
I really enjoyed this story about the power of a kiss. The illustrations were adorable and fit the story well.
Natalee Huguez
The Kiss That Missed is a quorky story about a goodnight kiss that didn't go as planned. The King blue his son a goodnight kiss, but it missed and flew right out the window. The loyal knight runs off into the dark forest to find the kiss and gets stopped in his trail by snow, growling bears, creepy owls, and hungry wolves. Suddenly the King's goodnight kiss whizzes by and puts all of the spooky animals to sleep. Next the knight and his horse find themselves right in front of a giant dragon, but ...more
Aysha Bibi
I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone. This was one of those make-you-feel-all-warm-and-fuzzy-inside, smile-like-a-fool type of books for me. The king's goodnight kiss misses the little prince, and that's such a fun idea! Then, not only does the kiss miss, the king sends a knight to go after it! This story is so lovable in the fact that any parent could relate to this king. How many of our own kisses probably miss? But we do mean them with love, and if we could send a knight to recl ...more
Tony Meyer
Absolutely one of my favourite kids stories. Melling's illustrations are amazingly good, and this is a great story as well.

It's great for typical boys (knight, dragon) and typical girls (princess, kiss). It has a great moral that isn't in-your-face (in fact, the kids probably don't overtly get it, which is fine, since it's aimed at the parents too).

Can't recommend this highly enough.
April Poulter
This is a delightful story! Both the illustrations and the story are fun. The title of this picture book is somewhat misleading. I was expecting to read about a sleeping princess and a prince that came to kiss her and accidentally missed and all the mishaps that occurred with that. Instead it begins with a father blowing his son a kiss because he doesn't have time to stop and spend time with him, but the kiss misses. The rest of the story is about the wanderings of the missed kiss, a knight who ...more
This story goes to show that an insignificant event gone wrong could lead to some amazing things happening. Although this story is fictional, the concept is more realistic than often thought of (though not with a blown kiss). Think about it, let's say you accidentally flicked a marble under your couch. When the couch gets moved, what might you find under that couch besides that marble? A coin? A toy? The remote control someone lost last month? Your lost homework? A letter from a secret admirer? ...more
The king, in too much of a hurry to say goodnight properly, blows his son a goodnight kiss. The kiss misses the prince and flies out of the window. The king’s most trusted knight is sent on a quest to catch the kiss, and return it to the prince.
This is a well written story, with beautiful illustrations that accompany the text well. The story is simple, but unique and not at all predictable. It was very enjoyable to read!
This is a board book, so it is clearly aimed at young children. The simple,
This was a cute light-hearted book. A busy father rushes to blow his son a kiss for bedtime and the kiss missed! A knight is sent to find the kiss and following the kiss leads to some fun events. I loved the pictures, they were bright, fun and engaging, the path of the kiss was amusing. I enjoyed how the kiss helps the knight along his way. I expected a little more with this one, I'm not sure what, it just wasn't a favorite. We were glad to read it, we all giggled, but it wasn't a requested repe ...more
This story was ABSOLUTELY charming! I loved the midieval approach to parents who are "too busy" to take time for their children, but still make an honest attempt to care about them. When the King's goodnight kiss to his son misses it's mark, and the King sends his knight in shining armor to recover it, it's too much fun to see what a little love can do to even the nastiest creatures.
I think this is a great book to teach kids at a young age, that you always need to make time for your family . .
Ashley Sites
I personally thought that this was a cute little story. I particularly liked how every time the king's knight and steed were in trouble, the king's goodnight kiss that he initially blew to his son, saved them by making the scary creatures sleepy, or nice. The illustrations were cute also. I liked how the reader was able to see the kiss's trail. It also has a nice message to it. Not to be hasty, or to be so rushed that we forget the little things in life. I've heard that the little things are a l ...more
Lisa Hartmann
The Kiss That Missed by David Melling is another favorite picture book of mine! The story is about a busy King that blows his son a kiss goodnight but it misses! The kiss bounces all around and then out the window. The King calls his Knight to go get it. The story is fill with humor and fun. I would tend to think boys may like it more then girls because it has a dragon, bears and wolves. Although it isn't scary. The illustrations are fun,brightly colored and silly! It teaches the King a lesson t ...more
Sheng Yang
I really enjoyed this book, thought it was just the cutest thing ever. It was simple with large print to read. The artwork was goofy in a sense that anyone could enjoy especially children. At first I thought it would be about a princess, especially with a knight on the cover, but I was wrong. It was about the kiss that missed! The knight actually goes and look for the kissed and a long the way runs into many obstacles. It is interesting that the kiss actually helps him along the way too. Overall ...more
This is one of the first books that I bought for my godson that caused me to be incredibly pleased with myself. Most of the books that I bought for him up to that point were books that already I knew about, books that I had grown up with, or books that were perhaps more popular and had somehow been made known to me even though I was entering college when Cole was born. (I may have bought him books that were way beyond his own reading level, but were still great to read to him.)
It was just such a
Elines Flores
This book was great! Both the text and illustrations were very amusing. David Melling, the author and illustrator, did a great job at capturing the various expressions of the characters such as the terrified knight that when in search for the kiss or the joy of the royal family once the kiss was returned. Also, there were some twists and turns in the story, like the random snow in the forest, that keep me interested the entire time. Great as a read aloud!
Douglas Jankowski
This was definitely a very good story for children to read. I thoroughly enjoyed this one, as well as the art work. It was a predictable tale, but that's okay, because it is made for kids. I think the author did a fine job with having a knight on a quest trying to find something and bringing it back to the kingdom. Overall it was impressive and held onto my imagination the whole time.
The Kiss That Missed has a fun, original storyline. The king blows a kiss to the young prince, but the kiss escapes and the knight has to go on adventures to seek it out. The kids really liked the part where the log became the dragon. Though humorous, the story didn't leave much opportunity for dialogue or interaction.

Okay for storytime.
A lovely story about a kiss that was blown to far and went right out the window. Join a clumsy knight and his sheepish steed who journey across the kingdom to retrieve the precious kiss and return it to the King's young boy. I loved the idea for the quest and the fact the kiss caused the scary critters that were after the knight to be tamed. Overall, a very adorable story.
Sherry Thornberry
I really liked this book about a goodnight kiss that missed its mark. It was the kings kiss and had to be found by the king's knight. The kiss wandered into the forest and put all the animals asleep, even the dragon. This book was a great story with a lot of humor. My son would have loved this book when he was younger.
Jennica Crockett
This was such a cute story! I loved the drawings and the way the words were also included in the pictures. It would be a great book to have at home for a bed time story. I would probably use it more in home than I would in the classroom. I enjoyed it and thought it had a cute, new story that was new and different. I think younger children would love this book as well.
I found this cute little book to be very endearing. I loved the fact that the major quest in this book was to capture an escaped goodnight kiss. I also loved the illustrations; they were bright and colorful and perfect to keep the attention of young children. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone with young children. They would love it!
I love that this story shows the power of a parent's kiss. This has meaning to both children and to their parents. Parents can learn of the importance of making time for their children. Children can see how special this time can be as well. I thought it was super cute.
I loved this story and I thought it was a cute read. The pictures were fun, colorful, and lively. I think the message is to take time to make the most of the small, but meaningful things. Don't rush the little things in life, like a kiss, because they could be missed.
Austin Francis
I thought it was a very original story. Probably not a story I would read to my young students, but it would be a story I'd read to my own children. Not that the story is inappropriate, it just wouldn't be my style. It is a very cute book though.
This book has such a great sense of adventure in a way that is not typical of other adventure type books. It takes you on a wonderful and wild journey to find the King's kissed that missed. This is a great book for both boys an girls!
Shelem Horton
I would recommend this book to everyone, boys and girls. It's fun, well written, the pictures are so wonderfully illustrated, and it's so fun to read! I like the title a lot because the story it's not what you think it is, it's different, cute, and very unique. I truly want to have a copy of my own!
  • Shark In The Park
  • Noni The Pony
  • I Love You, Blue Kangaroo!
  • What! Cried Granny
  • Big Red Tub
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • Dirty Bertie
  • Baby Brains: The Smartest Baby in the Whole World
  • Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball
  • Beegu
  • Mister Magnolia
  • Not Now, Bernard
  • That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown
  • Dinosaurumpus
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
  • Whatever
  • Pants
  • Mr. Gumpy's Motor Car
Hugless Douglas Don't Worry, Douglas! The Scallywags Hugless Douglas and the Big Sleep Good Knight Sleep Tight