Start by marking “Krueger's Men: The Secret Nazi Counterfeit Plot and the Prisoners of Block 19” as Want to Read:
Krueger's Men: The Secret Nazi Counterfeit Plot and the Prisoners of Block 19

Krueger's Men: The Secret Nazi Counterfeit Plot and the Prisoners of Block 19

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The true story of the greatest counterfeiting scheme in history and the men the Nazis called upon to help it succeed—a group of concentration-camp Jews. Only a fortnight after the start of World War II, at a meeting that has remained a secret for more than half a century, Nazi leaders and officials of the German Reichsbank approved an audacious plot to counterfei ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published November 1st 2006 by Tantor Media (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Krueger's Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Krueger's Men

Don
This is the true story of Nazi Germany's plot to flood the Allies with conterfeit money to collapse their economies. Using printers, artisans, engravers and others, the Nazi's pick prisoners from camps to refine the process.

Although this is an amazing story of survival, luck and part of an underground secret never reveled completely after WWII, this book is oddly schizophrenic.

Malkin's writing style makes part of this book unreadable while other parts are clear and suspenseful. It feels like thi
Rob
While the subject matter in and of itself is fascinating -- I found the book and the way it was written to just be ok. I guess I was expecting it to read more like a true-to-life thriller (a la Mark Bowden or Stephen Ambrose), whereas for the most part, the material felt very textbookish.
Still - to think that this group of prisoners counterfeited more than 6-billion dollars (in todays exchange rate) - is pretty mind-boggling and I'm glad I read it.
Veleda
Krueger's Men is certainly an interesting read. Malkin's writing is readable though not electrifying, but while he does a decent job with the espionage, when it comes to the actual men of block 19, he falters. The reader is left with little sense of the prisoners' inner lives and struggles, despite the fact that several of them wrote memoirs, so the information should be available. In addition, what could have been a cornerstone of the book, the relationship between the prisoners and Krueger fee ...more
Debra
Slower reading, but amazing in the detail of the Nazi regime, WW2 and the counterfeit operation of British pounds and, almost, US dollars.
Chris
The story is interesting. The writing at times rather dull. Malkin does a very good job in describing the different countries view on counterfeiting. In other words, the back story is well drawn. When Malkin gets to the actual Block 19, however, the book becomes rather dull. I think part of the reason for this is that Malkin does not do a good job at making the people seem real. The people seem like little more than shadows. As I was reading the last section, I couldn't help but compare the writ ...more
George
Only so-so as a book2 1/2 stars, really. An interesting story, a more modest book. the author spends a lot of energy trying to stretch the material out into book format, and insists on making numerous unnecessary editorial comments on all things Nazi. Like many of those picking up the book at this point, I saw the Counterfeiters and wanted to know more. Here's one book where the movie was far better, if not entirely accurate, it would seem. Another film "inspired by true events."
Courtney
A dry, British retelling if what should be an adventurous piece of history.
Irene
Interesting topic, with a ton of detail, but in the end not exactly what I was looking for. I thought the descriptions of the financial institutions of the various countries were a bit too dense and convoluted (I realize that's a complex topic but there must be a way to convey that information more clearly), and wished for more insight into the prisoners themselves - more of their story.
Converse
Though it has too much purple prose, esp. in the early parts, this account of the SS eventually being fairly successful in counterfiting the British pound & attempting to do the same to the dollar , using Jewish concentration camp prisoners to do the printing, is a very interesting story.
Bethany
Nov 16, 2008 Bethany marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i picked this up at b&n after seeing the film 'the counterfeiters', a german film that was based on the true story about the SS during WWII using men from the concentration camps to counterfeit the british pound. a must see...not sure if the book will hold my attention as well. worth a try.
Gbug
This book is not for everyone. It starts out a little slow, but if you are a WWII history buff just stick with it and it will become facinating.
Ryan
Interesting subject, but not an interesting read. Wouldn't recommend it.
Rey
Way too dense. Reads more like a history textbook. Time to rent the movie.
Matthew Smith
Matthew Smith marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Heather Robertson
Heather Robertson marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Eden Sparky
Eden Sparky is currently reading it
Aug 12, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
JenWinEd
JenWinEd marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
From the author's website:

Lawrence Malkin is an award-winning correspondent who served in London, Paris, Washington, New Delhi, Madrid, the United Nations, New York City and elsewhere for Time magazine, the International Herald Tribune, and The Associated Press.

Malkin has been a contributor to The Atlantic Monthly, Connoisseur, Fortune, Horizon, The Quarterly Journal of Military History, Queen (L
More about Lawrence Malkin...
Dancing with Madmen: The Wall Street Novel The National Debt Dancing with Madmen The National Debt The War Within