Start by marking “Vampire Assassin (Jane, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vampire Assassin (Jane, #1)

Vampire Assassin (Jane #1)

3.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  389 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
"He didn't notice me at first. They never do."

What people are saying about Vampire Assassin:

"Great start to a great series"
"Very entertaining"
"More please!"

Even in death, life is tough.

When life gave Jane pointy teeth, she decided to make the most of them. In this 15,000-word novella, Jane takes you with her on one of her jobs and goes through the harrowing tale of how sh
Published March 30th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Vampire Assassin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampire Assassin

Marsha
Mar 19, 2012 Marsha rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Adults
"Vampire Assassin" is written as if two different authors wrote this novella. What do I mean? Well, the writing style is completely different from the first half of the book to the second. The first half of the book tells the story of Jane, vampire who assassinates other vampires. This is where I had my first problem with this story. First, Samantha Warren has Jane's character have a dialogue with 'us' the reader. She write...."If you are reading this, then, you must be human......" Quite honest ...more
Ashley
Jan 29, 2015 Ashley rated it liked it
I'm not quite sure how I feel about this book. I LOVED the first chapter when Jane is all snarky and assassin-y (new word?). But the entire rest of the novella is back story. All of it. Every word. Now, I need plot exposition as much as the next guy, but DAMN. It was just like a friend I haven't seen is telling me a ten minute version of how she spent the last few years. Including making a movie and meeting the love of her life. I understand that there are more parts to the story, and even thoug ...more
Chris The Story Reading Ape
Mar 04, 2013 Chris The Story Reading Ape rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-reviewed
Chapter 1 sees Jane at work as a sassy, smart and imaginative assassin of the vampire persuasion...

Chapter 2 onwards though, was a real revelation for me and lifted my respect for the author to an even higher level.

It is a well thought out, well presented, wonderfully detailed and romantic account of how Jane became a vampire.

Now I can relate to Jane the person, I look forward even more to reading more of her exploits.
Izzy
Feb 22, 2016 Izzy rated it it was ok
The first chapter is interesting as the book delivers its promise by introducing Jane, the vampire assassin. It goes downhill from there. The next 3 chapters (4 chapters in total) is just back story. It could have easily been trimmed down to just 1 chapter because most of the information wasn't needed or even interesting.

Just to make everyone clear, this is not a novella! The story is being cut down to chunks and being sold off as "novellas". It took me roughly 20 minutes to read this chunk and
Stacy Eaton
May 17, 2011 Stacy Eaton rated it it was amazing
First off this was a very quick and easy read! I found myself laughing at Jane as she was narrating herself through the first several chapters. Quick wit played a big part in the beginnings of this book.

The author did a good job with the technical writing of the book. The language was easy to understand and flowed very nicely. The information that she shared was mostly necessary to portray her story and get you involved.

There are two main characters in this book, Jane and Steven. Both character
April
Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

This is a very tricky review to write, I like the story and the writing but there were issues. It is free on Amazon so, I suggest picking it up and seeing for yourself.

Here is my problem, this is really two different books stuck together. The first chapter is about Jane the bad a$$ Vampire who is a snarky assassin. I loved that part and was ready to really get into the story. However, chapter two completely changes gears and turns into Jane
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Rating* 3.0 stars
*Genre - Paranormal Romance

*Review*

This is the first book in the Jane series and tells the story, basically, how Jane became a vampire and how she met Steven, the man of her dreams only to lose him to extremely awful circumstances which she had no control over.

This is a very, very fast read, and a short story that leads into New Blood (Jane # 2). I downloaded this for free from Amazon.com.

My only complaint is that the story is so short, that the author really doesn't give the
Cheryl M-M
Nov 12, 2012 Cheryl M-M rated it it was ok
This started off brilliantly. The first chapter was dark and witty. The premise after the initial start, was to explain to the reader how she had become a vamp assassin for hire, but that never actually happened.
Instead it was pages upon pages of her meeting the person who inevitably ends up turning her into a vampire.
For a novella it seemed to go on for ages.
Arrgh, where did the feisty character from the beginning go? Such a shame to let a great idea evaporate like a drop of water on a hot tin
Stella Wilkinson
This was a really tricky review for me, mainly because I loved the beginning of this book and found the second half a chore.

Warning: Spoilers!
The premise of Jane being a vampire who uses her skills as a hired assassin was interesting, and it started brilliantly with her doing a hit on a cheating husband. I liked that she was a feisty feminist, with a witty internal voice and I was totally hooked and excited to read the rest. But ... then the book turned into her back story about how she became a
Vicki Lockett
Jan 16, 2016 Vicki Lockett rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books
This Novella, was interesting. I didn't hate it, but there were a few things I didn't like.
I didn't like the fact that everything that was told to us, was told to us. I couldn't picture people, or places. I felt that everything went by way too quickly to grasp what was going on in the book. I didn't get a feel of Jane's life before she became a Vampire. (This is not a spoiler since the title is VAMPIRE ASSASSIN!) It was really quick. We don't hear about her family, or her home life. It's skimme
Natasha
I got this book free from www.librarything.com in exchange for a review.

This really turned me off for the first half of the book. The character is talking to you, the audience not thinking to herself. I do not like the character including me in the story so blatantly.

However, looking past that, the story started fairly interestingly, as a vampire assassin.

And then turns 360 and becomes a love story and how she turned into a vampire. Which is fine and all, but the title is "vampire assassin" and
SATIN SUE
Jan 18, 2012 SATIN SUE rated it liked it
This is a short story about Jane a vampire Assassin and I don't mean she kill Vampires (well she probably would if the price was right), I mean she is a vampire who gets paid to kill people.
We start off getting to know Jane and a little about her work and we read about one of her missions.
We all so learn about her love fora vampire called Steven and we look into his past and find out how he became a vampire. Then we move on and we see Jane become a vampire.

There were some good points and bad po
Dee Bibb
Oct 15, 2011 Dee Bibb rated it it was ok
In Vampire Assassin, Samantha Warren begins the story by talking about some man named Bob and giving a complete description of him. It happens that the narrator of this book is a vampire that hires herself out as an assassin and her target is this Bob fellow, who by all accounts is a cheating, scumbag. Apparently the wife has arranged in some way to have the assassin take care of Bob and he is found dead just as planned by the wife.

OK...I like vampire novels pretty well. But this one felt very s
Sonja
May 19, 2013 Sonja rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Avoid it!!!
Shelves: kindle, fantasy
Way to much back story!!! The only thing I did like about it was how she has written it, like a one on one conversation with you the reader. It started out with her as a vampire who assassinates people for money. I mean they might be cheating scumbags, but don't really deserve to dye just because of that. And not to mention how much pride she takes on how she arranges the murder to look like an perverse asphyxiation gone wrong. And then suddenly the books jumps back to the past and becomes this ...more
Xandra James
Like other reviewers have said, this book really comprises of two stories. The first is good; a 3d, snarky character with potential, talking about just another of her kills. The second half is pure back story. This slowed the pacing dramatically and I felt could have been 'sprinkled' throughout a little better.
I found the serial idea very interesting as I personally do like short reads, but unfortunately this book wasn't as strong as it could have been.
Denise
This novella started out pretty good. I liked the kick ass attitude of Jane. And then the story seemed to be dedicated to just the back story. It was fast and a lot of things went on with Jane and Steven, but only in the past tense. It never reached the point of present day. I will read more in this series because of the Vampire Assasin aspect, plus I know to expect more back story that hopefully catches up with Jane's present day assassin life.
Mara
Oct 15, 2011 Mara rated it did not like it
I had wrongly tagged this "book" as a novella. Unfortunately it' a serial story (a story divided in pieces and sold in "chunks"). These are probably just the first few chapters.

The story wasn't good enough to convince me to keep buying. The lead woman is a vampire who sells herself out a an assassin. At the beginning of the story we see her killing a cheating husband and leaving him to be found by his wife and children. (It was the agreement with the family... Cheating is bad, is it bad enough
Missyb
Aug 24, 2014 Missyb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 - 3 stars. I liked the humor in it, but a little all over the place. Being a novella doesn't give you much room for a complete story but you do get a pretty complete background on her. I'm just not sure it was the best place for that since it starts with a case she was on and barely covers that.
Katja
Mar 31, 2012 Katja rated it it was amazing
The novella begins with Jane on a job assignment, but the book is more about how did Jane become a vampire assassin in the first place.

Vampire Assassin is a quick and entertaining read. Usually I like to read a fair amount of dialogue, but even though it’s scarce in this one, it didn’t really bother me. Jane is someone you can empathize with, the storytelling keeps you turning pages and it’s over all too soon. It’s a complete story however and the shortness only bothers, because Warren has paint
Rhonda
Aug 25, 2011 Rhonda rated it really liked it
Its hard to rate some books. This one starts talking about this guy Bob what he looks like and talking to his misstress and it would take him an hour to get home.
Then she describes how fast vampires can walk. Then follow into his garage and kills him and how and why. I really did not like much of the first part of story.
But then she talks more about her life and when she met her co-worker on a film and they fell for each other.The rest of story got me caring about Jane and Steven.
I ended up shed
Joyce
Jan 30, 2016 Joyce rated it really liked it
Great novella. I really loved the style it was written in. The only reason for the 4 out of 5 stars is that the ending was rather abrupt, kind of left you out there.
Krystl Louwagie
Mar 04, 2012 Krystl Louwagie rated it did not like it
This book may be called Vampire Assassin, and it opens with some vampire assassinating, but that's it. The rest of the book is a poorly written love story about how she fell in love and turned into a vampire. And then the book ends, never bringing you back to the beginning, never explaining how or why she became a vampire hunter, zip, nada. I realize it's a series, but each book should still make sense, especially THE FIRST ONE without the others. Stupid. And the preview chapters of some dating ...more
MsBDiamondDiva1
Feb 21, 2012 MsBDiamondDiva1 rated it it was amazing
This was a great start to a series and very solid character development too. I really like Jane, she is normal in all aspects and she knows this about herself; but she is also learning to just live and love life. And then there is Steven, who has been so long without a companion that you feel his happiness when he finds Jane. The end of the book is pretty sad and utterly heart breaking; it makes you realize how ignorant people are to things that they don’t understand. Needless to say, I will hav ...more
Tammy Ramey
Jul 27, 2011 Tammy Ramey rated it really liked it
i loved this quick little book. it had all of the elements that i look for in a paranormal. the characters were intriguing and had depth and drew me into the story effortlessly.
i found my self becoming angry,sad,happy and all the other emotions right along with the heroine. i am already planning to read it again just in case i missed anything and i can't WAIT fot the next book in the series if there is one so i can find out what happens with them next not to mention some of the other characters
Nefertiti
Dec 19, 2012 Nefertiti rated it it was ok

I wouldn't call this a novella. Vampire Assassin is at best a prequel, giving back story on the main character, Jane, rather than advancing her story line. If I had known this before, I would have waited for the next book instead of reading VA. Another complaint I have is that the author spent too much time on inconsequential details and not the plot (what little there was of that). As short as the book was, each line should have had a purpose, not detailing vampire "walking" or coffee.
Zarah
May 02, 2015 Zarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-lendable
When Is started this story I thought I was going to really liked it. I liked Jane's conversational style and sarcastic side comments, but then the whole thing fell apart. All of a sudden the assassin plot was dropped COMPLETELY and Jane spent the whole rest of the story telling us something else ENTIRELY. This might have been OK if the story then wound its way back to the beginning, but it never did. I would have continued the book in that case, but I'm not starting another for it.
Yvonne Nicolas
Apr 28, 2012 Yvonne Nicolas rated it liked it
Though this book is a fairly good read, I was left boggled at the end. First off, the title is misleading. It starts telling the story of a vampire on the job as an assassin then it takes a sharp left turn. It sort of reads like the author changed her mind part ways through the story and decided she wanted to do a love story. Which is what it is. My only big disappointment in this story is I wished the author would have shown us the tale instead of telling it.

Kelly Beckett
Sep 12, 2012 Kelly Beckett rated it it was ok
Not really sure what I thought of this book. I thought the first chapter was really really good then after that i'm sorry to say it was downhill from there, then picked up again at the very last chapter. Have to say it kept my attention till the end but there was nothing really great about it, and I was left asking myself whether I did like the book and whether I would read the next book and sadly the answer is no!
Nan Sampson
Apr 13, 2011 Nan Sampson rated it it was amazing
A great little novella -- Warren's character, Jane, is engaging and the story in this first part, compelling. While short, I get the feeling there will be more - I'd say this is the start of a series of shorts. A great first from a new author. Check it out.
Stephanie
May 29, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I really liked this book...a bonus was that it was free!!I felt so bad for Jane at the end of the book though...she finds love to only have it ripped from her...and now she's all on her own in being a vampire!! So sad..but a good book none the less
Bargain Basement: Jane Seris Holiday Pack 1 3 Dec 15, 2013 02:05PM
  • The Vampire Relationship Guide: Meeting & Mating (Vampire Relationship Guide, #1)
  • One Last Bite
  • Fanged Love (The Vampire from Hell, #0.5)
  • Compelled (The Sanctuary War, #1)
  • Seduced by Blood (A Sangre Novel, #1)
  • Blindsight (Mirus, #1.3)
  • Until Death Do Us Part (Kismet Knight, #1.5)
  • Space Junque (Apocalypto, #1)
  • The Vengeful Vampire (Serenity, #0)
  • Unfinished
  • Lure of the Night (Vampire Winter Saga, #1)
  • Right Ascension
  • Vampire Apocalypse: A World Torn Asunder
  • The Last Vampire (Dark Season, #1)
  • Stolen (Bitten #2)
  • Shelter (Blood Haze, #1)
  • Enduring Kiss
  • Grave Illusions (Jess Vandermire, #1)
Samantha Warren is a fantasy and science fiction author who spends her days immersed in dragons, spaceships, and vampires.

In the name of research, she enlisted the help of her pet dragon Anethesis and together they built a Noah’s Ark-like spaceship. Three trips through a hole in the time-space continuum allowed the pair to explore the universe decades into the past and eons into the future. They
More about Samantha Warren...

Jane (10 books)
  • New Blood (Jane, #2)
  • Blood & Tears (Jane, #3)
  • Redemption (Jane, #4)
  • Til Death (Jane #5)
  • Blood Moon (Jane #6)
  • Cursed (Jane, #7)
  • Witchfire (Jane #8)
  • Blood Feud (Jane #9)
  • Bloodshed (Jane #10)

“He didn't notice me at first. They never do. That's one of the things about being plain—you often get ignored.” 0 likes