Start by marking “Il fascino dell'inganno” as Want to Read:
Il fascino dell'inganno

Il fascino dell'inganno (In Death #3)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  24,064 ratings  ·  853 reviews
It is 2058, New York City. Lieutenant Eve Dallas uncovers a world where technology can create beauty and youth, but passion and greed can destroy them.

She was one of the most sought-after women in the world. A top model who would stop at nothing to get what she wanted -even another woman's man. And now she's dead, the victim of a brutal murder.

Police lieutenant Eve Dallas
Published 2008 by TEA (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Il fascino dell'inganno, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Il fascino dell'inganno

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva

Beauty and Youth are Desperate Matters for Some . . .

Immortal In Death is the third book in J.D. Robb’s In Death series. Even though this story takes place in 2058, it’s one that even today we read about in any newspaper on any given day, or watch on prime time news: Drugs. They make you feel good. Make you feel young. Make you think you’re immortal.

Cover Blurb...
She was one of the most sought after women in the world. A top model who would stop at nothing to get what she wanted - even another
Shawna
May 10, 2010 Shawna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of romantic suspense, tough heroines, & devoted, dangerous, deliciously sexy alpha heroes
Recommended to Shawna by: Mom & several GR friends
Catherine
*sigh* I found out Eve’s answer. How awesome for them both. I’m glad Robb skipped ahead in time again and took us closer to the big day. I loved watching Eve and Roarke’s nerves. Of course, neither of them was worried for the same reasons. Eve worried about making it work long term and Roarke worried about Eve going through with it. LOL.

Eve’s team is expanded beyond the usual people—namely, Feeney. Eve pulls in Peabody, a cop she took a shine to in the last book, and finds herself stuck having t
♥Rachel♥
Figured out the identity of the murderer pretty early, but still had fun with this one. The memories resurfacing of what happened to Eve were heartbreaking and brutal. Roarke is so amazing with the emotional support he gives Eve! He understands her so well. I love that they work things out without drama and angst! I've fallen hard for Roarke!

Same narrator as the last two books, Susan Eriksen, and she's wonderful.
Duchess Nicole
This series is addicting. It's the genius of this author and the reason she's one of the most read authors out there.

In Immortal in Death, Eve is once again faced with a killer. These murders are somehow related to a new drug that somehow not only makes the user feel really, really good, but also makes them appear younger, more glowing. While it makes them feel immortal, it also is a fast killer. First, a well known fashion model is killed...and the prime suspect is Eve's best friend.

So now Ev
Ridley
I've noticed a formula for the In Death books and noticing this formula has dimmed my enjoyment.

1. Eve gets a murder case
2. Mavis does something cute and funny to cheer her up
3. Another person dies and adds the the case
4. Roarke does something romantic. This may or may not follow Summerset sassing Eve.
5. One more corpse, just for good measure.
6. Roarke does something illegal to help Eve, with a charming grin of course.
7. Everything's coming together now. This is totally the bad guy.
8. Hmmm, some
Alkyoni

Eve is getting married, Mavis is in love, Peabody made a joke and a top model is DEAD.

Ok, first things first. I freakin’ love Peabody.

“And Peabody, we've been naked together. Drop all the 'sirs,' will you? Make it Dallas."

"Yes, sir, Lieutenant."

Okie, now to the mystery. I for one think it was great. Really nice executed, kept me guessing who dunnit, most of my suspicions were wrong. Ok, it did cross my mind that it could have been that person and there was a clue that came pretty much out of no
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
I have to admit, I ended up grabbing this one from Audible as soon as I finished Glory in Death (luckily I still had a credit or two so no money needed to change hands.) I've gone from 0 to 60 (an addicted) in no time flat!

I love that we see more Mavis in this book, she is a really fun character! And Peabody! Although, I will admit I'm not 100% happy with the Peabody voice... but other than that I am adoring the narrator. I don't think I could 'read' this series at this point, now that I've been
Aure   `Reading With The Dark`

5 Stars!

OMG this was soo good!!! Nora is really good at what she's doing! God created her to write and that shows in her work!
I swallowed this book in one day, all the way with all my mom duties and I'm as happy as a satisfied reader could get! :))

And by the way.. I totally knew it was that person who did all the crimes! I knew it, I could smell it!
God I'm so smart :DDDD LOL

I need just a little bit more data on books like this one and I'm definitely writing my own!
Damn it , I'd be one helluva g
Leah
Yet another great installment in the In Death series by J.D. Robb, Immortal in Death is the third book featuring Lieutenant Eve Dallas, Roarke, and the members of the NYPSD. While all the books in this series focus on murder, there was a twist to this one, bringing it close to home when Eve's best friend Mavis is implicated as the murderer. I thought that this was a pleasant change because, really, it would have been really obnoxious if Roarke was one of the suspects again. There are only so man ...more
Tara
Another winner from the In Death Series, I'm going to be sad when I finish these. In this one Eve Dallas, NYPSD officer in the year 2058, takes officer Peabody- a young officer we meet in the last book-under her wing, tries to clear her best friend of murder while balancing the fact that her repressed childhood memories are coming back to her and oh yeah, she's getting married.

I really like Officer Peabody. And I'm not really a fan of Mavis. I think the mystery was good. Again I figured the "wh
Corrine
A few quick observations:

-Eve's attitude can get really old really fast.

-If Roarke doesn't want to be frustrated by Eve's lack of confidence in their emotional intimacy, he shouldn't push her to do things she doesn't want to do (like, oh, say marriage).

-JD Robb should have Stretched out Roarke & Eve's relationship further before marriage, IMO. I have a feeling most of the romantic tension in future books will be the same old stuff we've seen already.

-And yet I still want to keep reading this
Tilly Slaton

Mavis gets into a heap of trouble in this book. In love with a soon to be totally rockin’ awesome designer, Mavis is head to toe gag worthy mushy with her new man. Caught covered in blood, fingerprints on the weapon and a whopper of a motive, she’s screwed. Eve becomes primary and as always, becomes obsessed and mostly blind to the rest of the world as it whizzes by. Time is against her (how poetic sniff) as she tries to locate the murder suspect or suspects so that the charges against Mavis wil
Mojca
Another winner for me, mostly because of the relationships and interaction between characters. I was lovely to see more of Mavis, get to know Peabody...And see yet another step in the Eve/Roarke relationship evolution.

Well-written, nicely paced, good mystery plot (I wonder how many motives can an author invent to carry on a series)—loved the drug angle and description...
The only hurdle for me was that yet again I spotted the killer early on. Again, probably because I took an immediate dislike to
Lindsay
In Death by J.D. Robb

Mini Review:
Three books down, thirty something to go! Wow...anyways, I liked this book a lot, not as much as the others, but probably because I read it on my phone. I don't know I prefer my computer or kindle if not an actual physical book in my hands. Anyways, I was able to find out who the bad guy was early on but I loved the plot line anyways cause it was so intense. And there's Eve and Roarke of course. Getting...married! I died when I read all of their scenes together, especially the ones
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; JANUARY 26, 2014: 4 STARS
Narrator: Susan Ericksen

I'm now 150% sure - I do not like Mavis. I found her annoying back in the 90s when I was first introduced to the In Death books, I found her just as irritating when I reread the first three book plus another 6 more in 2008 and now, in 2014 I'm wishing she'd be the next victim!

It's not that Mavis is bad or bad for Eve. It's just her personality. I feel as if Robb exaggerated her character quirks just to be a foil to the tacitur
 Anna Wicked Book Addict (Wicked Book Blog)

As always I'm totally, irrevocably committed to this series.
Its magic keeps me reading all the time... and rereading once again in a while ;D

I know, I know, I'm not alone in this unexplainable fixation with The World According to Roarke...

It's just...how to explain the phenomenon of give or take 40 books long series?

It has been around for ages...since about the same time I was born and it still can be so futuristic I can't even embrace it with my mind.

This series can give reluctant readers a rea
Mimi
If you like the previous two books and the way J.D. Robb/Nora Roberts writes, you'll like this one and the rest of the In Death series too, I'm assuming.

The main focus of this installment is on characterization, building up and fleshing out secondary characters, and of course Eve Dallas' dark past, which resurfaces throughout the book. The revelations of it are very dark, which surprised me because I didn't think Roberts would take it that far.

A better review is posted at Wordpress and Booklike
Barbara M.
4 Stars...I really liked it

"Immortal" wasn't quite the 5 Star the previous 2 books were, but it was dang close. Mrs. Roberts is truly a master storyteller and she rarely lets me down. Immortal (unlike the others) did lack the "must turn the page now, can't do anything else" feeling for me, but it was a great fast paced read, and at the end of the story this fine author (and in the words of my 4 year old son) really throws you for a loopty loop...

I never saw that one coming.

Overall a great additi
P.A. Lupton

I'm addicted now. Love this series and I absolutely love the narrator of these audio books. All I need to know now is where can I find a Roarke of my own. He's perfect. Bad boy, billionaire, sensitive, understanding, sexy--I could go on all day. Sometimes, I wonder where he finds the patience for Eve.

I have to say, in terms of the whodunit, I had no idea who the real killer was this time. In Glory in Death I had it figured out, in the first book as well, but not this time. These books get bette
Pamela(AllHoney)
The third in the In Death series. Not what I'd call a traditional romance but there is a love interest. Most of the story revolves around the crime and whodunnit. But there is a side story of Eve getting ready for her big day. We get a bit more information regarding Eve's past and, hopefully, Ms Robb (Roberts) will wrap up that storyline and put me out of my misery. Overall, it was a good read. I still prefer my heavy duty romances but this was worth reading.
Ren
Read the Indonesia version

Bisa dibilang di buku ini. lagi -lagi kita ga bisa menebak siapa pembunuh sebenarnya, karena J.D.Robb sekali lagi dengan cerdas, hanya memberi beberapa clue2, yang nantinya akan terbuka di akhir2

Berlatar belakang dunia permodelan, kita tau bahwa dunia permodelan tidak seglamour yang kita pikirkan, bahwa selalu ada yang bersifat 'busuk" di dalamnya. Yup, persaingan dengan menikam dari belakang, sex, money, drug...Selain kisah pembunuhan, Eve dan Roarke sedang menyiapkan
Shanna
Why can't I ever figure out who the killer is?

Because JD Robb is freaking awesome, not even a clue until 96% what the hell man?

I have to say that this book was little bit different from the first two. Eve really battles those demons, and let me tell you it had me crying. This book was really emotionally driven. It was so deep, so many things were being thrown at Eve and as a result at Roake. More than any other book so far (I know I have a long ways to go), I have to say that this was so beauti
Edee Fallon
Wow. This was definitely my favorite so far. Roarke is just ... too good for words, hard to capture in a review, but amazing. Eve struggled a lot with her past, but I love getting to know her better as she begins to understand herself more. Can't wait to start book four. Only thirty-six more to go lol. This series has taken over my life.
Denise~The Procrastinating Book Diva~
May 11, 2014 Denise~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Romantic Suspense with an emphasis on great character development & secondary characters

5 I'll Always Love You Stars

Re-listen.....again May '14

I recently purchased the first 15 audiobooks of the series and started making my way through them again. These early ones where Eve and Roarke maneuver their new relationship while the incredible cast of secondary characters are introduced are my absolute favorite!! Re-listening just never gets old to me; it's like catching up with old friends.

My only qualm with Immortal in Death is after all of the build up we are cheated out of the detail
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
I keep saying that I'm not going to read these books. After finding out that this is a 38 part (and counting) series, I said 'No way!'. Then I read the first one. Well, I liked the second one even more. If I could just read one of these that I don't like, I could stop. Well, it won't be after this one. Eve Dallas just keeps growing as a character. Roarke is still perfect. I just like the way everything comes together. From the futuristic setting to the secondary characters it is well written and ...more
MountainKat
Another great installment! (I still don't think I will ever get current in this series!) It was really nice to get more insight into both Eve and Roarke. And yeah, he was just as wonderful in this book, maybe even more wonderful. What an awesome hero! And it was fun to see Eve be more open to her feelings. All in all I loved this book! I really need to find time to keep this series near the top of Mt. TBR!!
Camila, the opinionated Catruler
It's actually 4.5*, but I'm throwing that last star because of the amazing new characters. Plus, the murderer was a pleasant fucking surprise.

For my review of the first book, I decided to write a list of reasons why you should read this series. Since there are over 37 freaking books, I've decided to just keep adding reasons as I continue with the series. You can find the list here.

Favorite quotes:
First line: Getting married was murder.

Roarke's brow cocked as he noted Casto take in the black sat
Mo
Sigh ... Oh Roarke, you are one in a million. Would have liked to have been at the wedding though. Off to start the next one - wonder will I get tired of it after about Book 12 or so.
Aly is so frigging bored
1st read: December 2012

2nd read: August 2014
Eve's problem with her vehicle will never get old, never!
Listening to it in Vienna made it even better :D

Favorite Quote:
"Ah . . . listen. It's better for your case, and your fancy lawyers would back me up, if you and I aren't seen running around together. Primary investigator and defendant. It doesn't look good."
"You mean I can't-" Mavis shut her mouth, regrouped. "All right then, we won't go running around together. Leonardo can work here. Roarke wo
J.D. Robb : Immortal In Death (Spoiler Zone) 39 75 Nov 04, 2014 01:16PM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Immortal In Death (Aug/Sept 2013) SPOILER ZONE 278 67 May 14, 2014 06:28PM
Vaginal Fantasy B...: Immortal in Death (Book 3) *Spoilers* 3 60 Feb 20, 2013 09:18AM
Readers of Kindle...: Immortal In Death #3 13 24 Feb 22, 2012 01:08PM
  • Billionaires Prefer Blondes (Samantha Jellicoe, #3)
  • Naked Edge (I-Team, #4)
  • Tribute
  • Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters, #6)
  • Deadly Lies (Deadly, #3)
  • Cry No More
  • Death of a Pirate King (Adrien English Mystery, #4)
  • Standing in the Shadows (McClouds & Friends #2)
aka:
Sarah Hardesty
Jill March
Nora Roberts

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S.A. She was the youngest of the five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline.
More about J.D. Robb...
Naked in Death (In Death, #1) Glory in Death (In Death, #2) Portrait in Death (In Death, #16) Rapture in Death (In Death, #4) Promises in Death (In Death, #28)

“Roarke: "Darling, before we shift into the official mode, what do you have on under that dress?"
Eve: "A device designed to drive men wild."
Roarke: "It's working. I don't believe I've ever seen your butt move quite that way."
Eve: "It's a cop's butt now, ace, so watch it."
Roarke: "I am." He smiled, gave it a nice solid smack. "Believe me.”
102 likes
“Roarke's brow cocked as he noted Casto take in the black satin that slithered over Eve's body. In the manner of men or unfriendly male dogs, Roarke showed his teeth.” 55 likes