Love, Mouserella

Love, Mouserella

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Mouserella misses her grandmouse, so she writes her a letter. At first she can't think of anything to say, but once she starts, the news begins to flow - she found a cat whisker at the zoo, she taught her ladybug to fetch, she made shadow puppets with Dadmouse during a blackout - and just like that, the events of the past few days come to vivid life in her letter, as does...more
Published September 15th 2011 by Nancy Paulsen Books (first published January 1st 2011)

Tasha
Mouserella misses her grandmother. She had to go back to the country, and Mouserella lives in the city. So her mother suggested she write a letter, and she did! The pages are filled with drawings, photographs, and plenty of great details. Though Mouserella doesn’t think there is much to share, she actually finds lots of everyday things to talk about: creating seed parachutes, visiting a museum, experiencing a blackout, and playing with her brother. The story is jolly and warm, filled with homey...more
Barbara
I usually enjoy books that feature writers or some type of writing, and in this case, much to my delight, it's a charming granddaughter who writes a letter to her Grandmouse. Clearly, she loves the woman and misses her and wants to share everything that's going on. She teaches her ladybug to fetch, practices her posture by carrying a book across the room on her tail, and marvels at the beauty of the city, light with candles during a blackout. As is the case with letters written by children, this...more
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Mouserella loves her Grandmouse. And after Grandmouse left her visit with Mouserella's family, Mouserella decides (at Mama Mouse's suggestion) to write a letter. The best part of this book is that Mouserella "writes" just like a little kid writes. For example:

"At the butterfly tent I put honey from the cafeteria on my ears so butterflies would land on me. But none did...I had to wash the honey off in the water fountain. And that's all that happened. But on Tuesday, there was a BLACKOUT and we ha...more
The Library Lady
Notable:This book is printed so that you hold it with the open edge downward and read it from top to bottom. This may make it a bit awkward to hold and read together, but also makes it more letter like. Cute and believable--Mouserella is reminiscent of Kevin Henkes immortal Lilly, but also just of any little girl chatting about her week. Hope this inspires families to write a real paper letter now and then--grandmas (and grandpas) will treasure them!
Julie Feldman
Opening: Class, have you ever had someone move away? How are some ways that you keep in touch? In the story Love, Mouserella, David Ezra Stein tells us of a mouse whose grandmother moves away. Mouserella decides to write to her grandmother, but doesn't know what to write about. Listen for what Mouserella includes in her letter to her grandmother.

Opening Moves: Prompt brief sharing of personal experiences related to the topic or theme, raise interest in a topic or theme, prompt listeners to noti...more
Dolly
Nov 27, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet story and it's written in a very unique style. The book is turned on it's side and the whole tale is a letter from a mouse to her grandmother (grandmouse.) There are a lot of illustrations, similar to a scrapbook. The story is fun to read aloud and we enjoyed reading it together.
Colby Sharp
This is a great book to share with my writer when they say they have nothing to write about it.

As an added bonus it makes me want to write my grandma a letter.
I think this book was unique because it is written on colored notebook paper, which makes for a fun format for a book. Mouserella will get the affection of children ages 4-7, and could maybe even encourage them to start a journal or write letters of their own.

"Showing [Stein's] customary gift for spot-on evocations of childlike voice and sensibility. . . . Sometimes snail mail is just better. Here's proof."
(Kirkus Reviews, starred review )

"A clever and enticingly child-friendly format. . . . ....more
Yelena
Sweet story in a form of a letter from a young mouse to her grandma. Handwriting-style font, doodles and colorful legal pad backgrounds are somewhat charming but failed to win me over. I would almost give it 3 stars, as it has some merits and would appeal to children missing their grandma. Sadly, it just did not strike me as all that special--disappointing considering how much I loved Stein's "Leaves" and "Interrupting Chicken". I was confused as to why the main character's name was "Mouserella,...more
Katie Fitzgerald
I don’t think this book is quite as unique as Interrupting Chicken, but it does share the same child-centered outlook, complete with child-like crayon drawings, and it also focuses on the concept of telling a story through documents. I’ve already started thinking of ways to incorporate this book into a mail-themed story time, mainly because it works so well with other books I’ve read recently: Mr. Griggs’ Work by Cynthia Rylant, Good-bye, Curtis by Kevin Henkes, and I Miss You Every Day by Simms...more
Alida
I'm looking forward to reading this to grandkids via SKYPE. (I cheated, I already read it. Shhh don't tell them.) It's a letter a little mouse writes to her Grandmouse, who she misses very much. Seemed appropriate. I wonder if there is a similar book written by the Grandmouse?

Mouserella includes photos she has taken using the camera Grandmouse gave her, all the latest news, lots of drawings and a packet of ketchup!

I'll let you know what the grandkids think.

Hannah (6 years old) and her siblings...more
Kelly
Love, Mouserella is a lovely example of letter writing for young children, and it's a delightful train-of-thought depiction of childhood thinking. Very sweet.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Mouserella writes a letter to her grandmouse about all the things she is doing now that she has returned home from Grandmouse’s house. She includes drawings and photographs and maps to shares all the stories of things that have happened to her since she returned home. Written on colored notebook paper, this is a fun format for a book.

“We went to the museum.
It was air-conditioned there.
I draw the cave mouse with big claws.
I saw a grandmouse in there but it wasn’t you.
We ate fries in the cafeteria...more
Robin
Mouserella misses Grandmouse, who has returned to her home in the country. She writes her a letter about her everyday activities; watching her caterpillar, Willy, who is now a chrysalis, teaching her ladybug to fetch, visiting the zoo and a museum, playing with her brother, etc. Mouserella's letter is also filled with her crayon drawings and photographs. The letter is in Mouserella's handwriting on yellow, green and pink striped writing paper. And the book reads from top to bottom. Funny, clever...more
Bridget R. Wilson
Missing her grandmouse, Mouserella takes her mother's advice and writes her a letter. Mouserella's letter to her grandmouse is filled with adventure and love.

What I thought: Adorable! The letter is rambling and full of news as I would expect a child's letter to be. The items Mouserella encloses are funny (especially the ketchup). The illustrations are great. I really like Stein's style. I've been thinking of doing a story time on mail. Love, Mouserella will be a great addition.

Story Time Themes:...more
Mary
Very cute. Mouserella is a young girl mouse who misses her grandmouse and wrtes her a letter. The letter tells of things she has done throughout the day. It includes photographs, drawings, and a few "other" things. A great book for storytime to illustrate letter writing. Young elementary students could be encouraged to write a letter to someone after reading this story. This also fits with the early literacy skill of writing.
Andreaiu
Apparently, I am a fan of David Ezra Stein and also of mice. The combination just overwhelms me. I love the format of this book--how it is in landscape instead of portrait layout. I love the storyline. I love the illustrations--the use of crayon for Mouserella's doodles for her grandmother, and the black-and-white realistic illustrations for the Polaroid-esque photos. Highly recommended.
KidsFiction Teton County Library
This is a creative picture book. Grandmouse moves back to the country and Little Mouserella misses her greatly. Mom suggests that Mouserella write a letter telling her how much she misses her. Mouserella writes all about her daily activities and even sends a "squishy pack of ketchup" to her. All Grandmothers would love to receive a letter let Grandmouse received.
Deb
I started reading from after the copyright page and foolishly held the book in traditional position and craned my neck sideways. Don't do that. Read from the dust jacket in the orientation of the letter and don't skip a page. I remember having one of those multicolor notebooks!

Fun story. Life does go on, even when you are missing someone.
Kate Hastings
Grades K-2. Perfect for inspiration during a letter-writing unit. Mouserella writes to her grandmother to tell her about all she's done since grandma left. And to show her how much she is enjoying her new camera. Could students take pictures of things they've done throughout the week and make a "letter" to their parents? Fun multi-media tie-in.
Jj
This book was cute, and I liked the alternative page orientation, as well as the first-person letter-writing format. It would be useful for generating ideas about writing letters for younger kids, in the "Epistolary Excitement!" program which I imagine myself putting together sometime in that hypothetical timespace known as "the future".
Donalyn
Mouserella misses her grandmother, who just returned to her country home after visiting Mouserella in the city. Using the camera that her grandmother gave her and her letter writing prowess, Mouserella documents her experiences since Grandmother left. Nothing much happens. Or does it? Funny and cute with a real star in Mouserella.
Magila
2.5

I think that little girls may find this appealing. I found it tremendously boring. The art was nice, and I can recognize that although I didn't care for the book, it was well done. The clear love between mouse and grandmouse was heartwarming and nice.

Overall - Lame! (to me.)

Borrow it for your daughter, or skip it.
Miranda Gaboury
This is a very cute book that I will definitely use when teaching my class about writing letters. Letter writing is not as popular today, however I think that it is still very important that a student know the proper way to write and mail a letter. I think that this book would get them interested in letter writing.
Angie  Moore
Cute book! I have totally fallen in love with this author/illustrator. He uses such fun and unique techniques in illustrating.
Becky
A bit too all-over-the-place for readaloud, so I'm glad some of my Goodreads friends mentioned that this would be great in a K-2 unit on letter writing. Also, I appreciate that everything Mouserella does is like a kid does, but on a small scale (i.e., teaching a ladybug to fetch).
Caroline (Cary)
letter from mouserella to grandmouse - sophisticated watercolor/stencil/crayon illustrations interspersed with childish crayon line drawings. interesting orientation of book (opened to the top rather than to the left). definitely a read-aloud (some sophisticated vocab). cute.
Clare Cannon
An endearing story told by little Mouserella to her Grandmouse who has moved away. Not quite as charming as Stein's Interrupting Chicken, but close.
Mrs. Severson
I still have a couple of copies of letters that I wrote to my grandma when I was in third grade. This book is super cute and would be a great tie-in for a letter writing unit in school.

I also like the unconventional way this book opens and uses the pages.
Carolyn
This would be a great book to help children learn how to write a letter. Mouserella is a very creative letter-writer, and will give kids a lot of great ideas on what to include when writing to friends and family.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Chloe
  • E-mergency!
  • Apple Pie ABC
  • Rah, Rah, Radishes!: A Vegetable Chant
David Ezra Stein is an author-illustrator whose previous books include LEAVES, winner of an Ezra Jack Keats New Writer Award. He lives in Kew Gardens, New York.
More about David Ezra Stein...
Interrupting Chicken Leaves Pouch! Ol' Mama Squirrel Because Amelia Smiled