Le piace Brahms?

Le piace Brahms?

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  925 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Paule se mira dans son miroir et y vit " une autre Paule passionnément préoccupée de sa beauté et passant difficilement du rang de jeune femme au rang de femme jeune ". Cette phrase d'une mélancolie soutenue, si pleine de la " petite musique " chère aux admirateurs de Françoise Sagan, donne la note de ce si célèbre roman, porté à l'écran par Anatole Litvak. Paule... décora...more
Paperback, I Delfini 107, 209 pages
Published 1966 by Bompiani (first published 1951)

Brian
Aug 15, 2009 Brian rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Nicolas Sarkozy
Shelves: read-2009
I've read two romance novels in my lifetime. The first, A Prescription for Love or STDs, was about a bunch of physically challenged people with weird eyes that sparkled, flaring nostrils and hair that was unruly. This, the second, was about a bunch of French lovers. And the French really know how to screw up and complicate love. Or maybe I just don't appreciate love's complexity. Or maybe I just don't give a shit. Anyway, the lady is old (39 years old! My goodness she's on death's bed). Her stup...more
Maryse
Noramlly, I shy away from romantic novels. I made an exception with Aimez vous Brahms , which follows an older woman who has finally left her cheating lover. She then takes up another lover, a younger man, who defies convention by loving her. Despite the romantic overtones, it really is more a study of an aging woman who tries to change her life, but sadly fails in the end.
(I'm afraid they aren't selling any more copies of this book, though. I found mine by chance at Booksale and I haven't seen...more
Algernon
This is a re-read for me. I was probably too young at my first attempt, but with me being closer to the age of the protagonist, the tale gains in poignancy and nuance. My infatuation with Ingrid Bergman and her portrayal of the main character in a claasic movie may also colour my positive reaction to the text.

The story is deceptively simple and we have read it a thousand times by now: a love triangle in the city of love, Paris. A woman forced to look at her mid-life options and trying to recaptu...more
Jess
I absolutely loved this book, it's one of my favourites by Sagan. I discovered her through seeing a review of Bonjour Tristesse, and after reading that, I bought about 6 of her books. Aimez-vous Brahms, Bonjour Tristesse and Un Certain Sourire are by far my favourites.

Aimez-vous Brahms is a short story about love and the difficulties that come with it. 39 year old Paule is feeling lonely in her long term relationship with Roger, so turns to a passionate fling with young Simon Van den Besh, who...more
Lavinia
How cheesy of me to be listening to Brahms while reading Aimez-vous Brahms... :))
Honestly pretty surprised I recognized most of the famous tunes, though I haven't listened to them in years (except for that lullaby that I hear even in my sleep). As for the book, I remember my mum had a copy when I was a teenager, but for some reason I never laid my hands on it. Was it the ugly cover and the poor paper? I find it sad that Sagan sees the forty year old woman as she does, stylish, fancy job and all,...more
Jana
Always and always will return to this Sagan. Personally, her best novella and I've read it, I think by now, countless times. It breaks my heart every single time. It's just indescribable how much I love it. When I read it for the first time I was much too young but it marked me for a lifetime.
Rachida
J'ai détesté le début. J'ai adoré la fin. Un roman à la psychologie subtile et à l'écriture sensible. Très beau!
Andrea
Jan 25, 2014 Andrea rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Andrea by: Sarah
Älterer Mann bandelt mit bedeutungslosen jungen Frauen an, die ältere Frau mit einem nicht ganz so bedeutungslosen, viel zu gut aussehenden jungen Mann. Beschrieben werden die Profile von lauter sterbenden Menschen, die gefühlt andauernd durch Alleen fahren, dabei Händchen halten und Gesichter übereinander legen. Der konzentrierte Wille aller zum Unglück wird feinsinnig und in hübscher Sprache beschworen, so dass man nicht umhin kommt, den Glauben an eine Aufhebung der Einsamkeit wieder ganz neu...more
Lora Grigorova
Aimez-vous Brahms: http://readwithstyle.wordpress.com/20...

Another amazing novel by Francoise Sagan left me speechless. As I already mentioned, her works are so intoxicating, so light and enjoyable, yet deep, emotional, and provocative. It took me exactly two days to finish Aimez-vous Brahms and bear in mind I have enough exams to study for.

Sagan has the rare talent to portray a rather simple and everyday story, which we have encountered several, maybe hundreds of times, in a way that raises que...more
Гальця Пташка
Literary Relish
After a thoroughly Russian June, I have really had to force myself to let my brain hang out a bit and get into the Frenchie Frenchiness I crave. After reading Françoise Sagan's novella Bonjour Tristesse earlier this year and really appreciating it, I was absolutely ready for another swift dose of precocious, aloof and sexy French characters, wrapped up in their (in the grand scheme of things) unimportant love affairs and struggling to release themselves from their ground hog lifestyle, however s...more
Jill Ck
Françoise Sagan, man. Okay haha whatever. No but this was the second book by her I read, and it was just as good as the first one. It really takes you there, you know ? I loved her characters, I felt so close to each one of them... A beautiful book, once again.
Anika
The love story is as fleetingly short as the book itself, and immensly beautiful, yet heartbreaking. I did not think I would love this book as much as I obviously do now. I realize a love story like this - younger man, older woman - was scandalous in the 1950s. You can tell by her reservations, her fears. But there is also a sense of hope in her short, but joyous moments she gets to live with her young lover. In the end, she returns to the man she thinks she loves, or the man she thinks she need...more
Heba badr
: هل تحبين برامس وكأنها تكشف لها منطقة عظيمة من نفسها شملها النسيان ..تكشف لها كل ما نسيته كل الأسئله التى تعمدت ان تتجنب مواجهتها .هل تحبيبن برامس ؟وهل كانت تحب شيئا اخر غير نفسها وغير وحودها الخاص ؟اجل كانت تحب ستندال كانت تحب هذا الكاتب وتلك هلى العلة:كان بعلمها انها تحبه تغنيها عن مطالعته .. وربما كانت تعلم مجرد العلم ايضا أنها تحب روجيه فتستغنى بهذا العلم عن الحب .ورب شئ اكتسبته النفس واعتادته يطيب لها كما يطيب لنا ان نعرف طريقنا فى الحياة مسترشدين بعلامات سبق ان ثبتناها فى مرحله ما ..

Helen Kitson
I didn't expect to enjoy this story which has so narrow a focus - 39-year-old Paule, her slightly older lover Roger (a boorish, priggish man who likes to have his cake and eat it), and Paule's 25-year-old lover Simon, who temporarily eases her pain over Roger's infidelities and the fact that she is always alone. In spite of the seemingly mundane subject matter, this is an exquisitely-observed story. [Feb 2004]
Andrea Buschman
Simple, yet powerful. The story of a middle aged woman, dissatisfied with her life and her lover, who begins an affair with a man 14 years her junior. If it was set in these current times, the story might have had a happier ending. If only I understood enough French to be able to read the original text!
Ani
Любим автор. Любима книга. Любим финал. Забележителна е Франсоаз! Чета всички нейни книги на един дъх - откровенни, задълбочени, реални...Най-много ми харесва как поставя края на всяка история - разтърстващ, тъжен, понякога очевиден, но винаги ИЗКЛЮЧИТЕЛЕН....
Roma
No idea why this novel was so hyped back in the day.

IMO, it's a superficial, predictable story, written in stulted, wooden and old-fashioned language, even for some 40 years ago, though that may be (partly?) due to the translation (into Dutch).
Nina
Учудващо ми хареса колкото "Добър ден, тъга" и повече от "Усмивка почти". Може би защото героинята този път не е повърхностна девойка, а зряла жена и някак я почувствах близка. Пак оплетени любовни отношения, неповторима и лежерна френска атмосфера...
Meteor Jewelry
İlşkilerde kimi insanlar eşi tarafından (haksızlıklara ve ihanete rağmen) idare edilmayi tercih ediyor. Eşi de bunu fırsat bilip, idare ettiği (sahiplendiği) eşine ihanet etse de, her seferinde affa uğrayacağının güvencesiyle ilişkiyi sürdürüyor.
Kaloyana
Хареса ми, но не толкова, колкото "Усмивка почти". Сякаш беше мааалко по-повърхностна. Не, че смятам книгите на тази авторка за твърде задълбочени и сериозни, но в предишната чувствата бяха описани така, че да ги преживее и читателят.
Beth
Ah, the life of a French cougar.
I found myself enjoying this story of the loves of a middle aged woman in Paris despite its frivolity, although the ending was rather predictable.
Not much happens plot-wise, a very character-driven story.
Sonia
A glimpse back to late 50's France. The focus is very much on the emotional journey of the young woman who although seemingly has the freedom to do as she wants seems to end up a hostage in her lovesr' lives.
Julebu
Typical Sagan characters, predictable flow of actions, some trivia literature style elements. Yet I love the mellow, melancholic tone and the beautiful, clear French. To me, Sagan is always worth a read.
Denis
I could put down every book written bt F.Sagan on this list. This is one of her very best. Sagan, unlike so many other writers of her times and despite her detractors, will stay as a great author.
Cally
The first novel I ever read in French! Not a major literary work, but nonetheless well-written and gripping. Would like to read her first and most well-received work, Bonjour Tristesse (1959).
Maria
Love Brahms, but Francoise Sagan is only okay. It's a fine read for a teenager, I think, although on the whole I'd say skip it and read Bonjour Tristesse instead, which is marginally better.
Danceangel
Отличное чтиво,чтобы пожалеть себя и поплакать холодным ноябрьским утром выходного дня. во всех остальных случаях - не прикасайтесь.
Red
bonjour tristesse. the french cherish everything more than average. this only can be done with a dose of sadness.
Brothier
J'adore Françoise Sagan.
Livre bien écrit, très facile a lire
Description des années 1956, la vie amoureuse a Paris
  • Rue des Boutiques Obscures
  • Clair de Femme
  • Les Belles Images
  • The Inner Side of the Wind, or The Novel of Hero and Leander
  • Le Coeur cousu
  • Angst
  • The North China Lover
  • Et on tuera tous les affreux
  • L'Echappée belle
  • Two Captains
  • Урфин Джюс и его деревянные солдаты (Волшебник изумрудного города, #2)
  • Exquisite Pain
  • The Little Lady of the Big House
  • Les souvenirs
  • The Lady in the Car with Glasses and a Gun
  • Shadows in Paradise
  • La mare au diable
  • Le Capitaine Fracasse
Born Françoise Quoirez, she grew up in a French, Catholic, bourgeois family. She was an independent thinker and avid reader as a young girl, and upon failing her examinations for continuing at the Sorbonne, she became a writer.

She went to her family's home in the south of France and wrote her first novel, Bonjour Tristesse, at age 18. She submitted it to Editions Juillard in January 1954 and it...more
More about Françoise Sagan...
Bonjour Tristesse A Certain Smile Bonjour Tristesse & A Certain Smile Sunlight on Cold Water That Mad Ache & Translator, Trader: An Essay on the Pleasantly Pervasive Paradoxes of Translation (Afterword)

“Je dois vraiment en avoir assez, pensait-il, étonné lui-même par ses propres mots; quand je commence à m'occuper du vocabulaire d'une femme, c'est que la fin est proche." (p.98)” 6 likes
“Lyg laikas būtų suglebęs žvėris, kurį reikia užmušti.” 1 likes