Start by marking “Perfect Snow” as Want to Read:
Perfect Snow

Perfect Snow

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  32 reviews
It came in the night. "Perfect!" said Scott. "Snow!" said Jim. At recess the schoolyard is full of happy kids. Scott is making snowmen, Jim is working on the world's greatest snow fort. At lunchtime they join forces to create a perfect snow surprise! Barbara Reid combines her trademark plasticine artwork with ink and watercolour panels to bring a timeless tale of winter fu ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Albert Whitman & Company (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Perfect Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfect Snow

This book captures the joy and excitement of playing outside in the snow, especially after an overnight snowfall of fresh, pristine white stuff that is perfect for building snowmen and snow forts. My children were delighted with the vivid illustrations the author made with Plasticine that is shaped and pressed onto illustration board.

"Look at all the details!" my daughter said as she and her brother poured over the book. It must have taken the author hours to make them because the illustrations
Treasure
A picture book about, not surprisingly, the perfect snow! The story follows two boys through their school day as they each dream about what they want to do with today’s perfect snow at recess. Jim wants to build a “totally massive, indestructible Snow Fortress of Doom”, while Scott prefers quietly building snowmen. Eventually, together they build “The World’s Greatest Totally Massive Snowman Fort”! There is little to no conflict in this sweet story that is ideal for winter story time.
The illustr
Barbara Reid's Plasticine (think claymation) style illustrations are phenomenal, labor instensive works of art. The kid tornado and playground from above scenese are especially impressive. Unfortunately, what is less impressive is the storyline, which feels a little stiff and dated. Seriously, what teacher dresses like that anymore. The ink and water color panels between the vibrant Plasticine illustrations seem like substitute filler due to an impending deadline, and are distracting to the stor ...more
Ryoma Echizen
Barbara Reid's Perfect Snow is a book by Barbara Reid. This book talks about Jim and Scott enjoying the school day with snow.

I picked up this book because I had to do it for a character map for school.

I finished this book because I had to for my homework.

I think I would recommend this to nobody because I didn't really like it and I won't recommend books I don't like.
Dolly
Mar 07, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a simple story about the joys of playing in the snow and the combined effect of cooperation. The Plasticine illustrations are very entertaining and the story is fun to read aloud. We enjoyed reading this story together, although our girls were jealous that they didn't get a lot of snow to play in this winter.
Tami
Have you ever experienced the prefect snow? A time when the snow was perfect for sledding and making snow people. A day full of so much fun.

This is the day that Scott and Jim looked forward to. The boys woke up to snow and were eager to play. Unfortunately, they had to wait all day until school was done. Then, no one could stop them.

Perfect Snow is the perfect winter story. The illustrations combine colourful clay art and comic book like strips which give the story something extra. Just an ove
Kate Hastings
Grades K-4. What happens when there is lots of snow but no snow day??? This book definitely captures the excitement of all the possibilities for recess. At first the main character wants to create a fort and has big plans. So do all the other kids, and it seems as though there is not enough snow to go around. Love how eventually the children come together with a shared vision and create something bigger and better than any one person could build.
Rachel
Felt nothing especially for the story itself, but was worth three stars just for the absolutely charming top view clay art illustration on pg.8-9 and generally for the unique and creative multi-media use that was infused with the detailing memorabilia of a childhood day in the snow.
Ms. B
What happens when it's snowing and you do not get a Snow Day? You get the perfect recess. Perfect for making a snow fort, building snowmen, and more. Barbara Reid's Plasticine illustrations are sure to make this a popular choice among those looking for the perfect winter read aloud.
Beverly
Reid outdid herself with her plasticine illustrations of children building snowmen and snow forts on the school yard. Very detailed, with snowprints and snow fall and melting patches, etc. Black and white inked panels extend the story further. An excellent effort.
Bethe
Growing up in Ohio we had many snowy recess times. Kind of sad that if we ever got snow here in texas during recess, the kids wouldn't be allowed to go outside to play in it. I'm fair on the plasticine illustrations, I like the pen drawings better.
Karen Arendt
Children at school are excited for recess so they can play in the new snow building snowmen and forts. What makes this story different is the illustrations. Part colorful plasticine art, part watercolor create depth in the illustrations.
Tiffany
This book is so cool! I really love the scene where all the kids are out playing in the schoolyard. Barbara Reid's plasticine illustrations are so detailed, and I'm jealous of her talent.
Kim Browning
The art in this book is amazing. It is a combination of clay figures/art and art panels that are more like a comic strip. This book captures a child's excitement on a snowy school day.
Denise
Jim and Scott are thrilled with the snow that fell overnight despite the fact they have to still head to school. They join forces at recess/lunch to create an army of snowmen.
Jen
Reid captures the excitement and chaos of a perfectly snowy day on the schoolyard. Students will likely recognize themselves in Scott and Jim.
Pam Klassen-dueck
Outstanding artwork from Reid, as always. My only quibble with the book is that it shows boys on the most active roles: why not girls, too?
Sara K.
6/25/11 This might be the perfect book to bring a snow day! I think I must have it for a read aloud on such days! :)
Maureen
Another superb book from Barbara Reid. Conflict and resolution, and breath-taking illustrations. Wonderful!
Suzanne
Love the art in this book! It is a combination of clay and what looks like pencil. Great story too.
Linda Atkinson
A visual delight in a combination of clay art and black and white strips. A great picture book for K-2nd.
Jewels ♥ My Devastating Reads
I love this book! It's a perfect book to introduce winter to kids. And the pictures are amazing!
Nicole
Loved it. Really captures the joy of playing in the snow. Made me feel like a kid again :)
Amy
The illustrations weren't very appealing, but the story wrapped up nicely.
Tracy
The illustrations are bright and fun. The story is great!
Mckinley
What to do with snow while sitting in class at school?
Susan
Realistic portrayal of how boys interact.
Trisan
Love the pictures and the two boys are adorable.
Jamie
Good for an older storytime.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
As a child, Barbara Reid loved reading, drawing, writing and fooling around with plasticine. She kept at it, and has written and illustrated 19 picture books, illustrating more than 25. Her books have been published in over a dozen countries, and her signature plasticine relief illustrations have won many awards including a Governor General’s Award for Illustration and the Ezra Jack Keats Award. H ...more
More about Barbara Reid...
Picture a Tree The Subway Mouse Fox Walked Alone The Party Two by Two