Start by marking “Kings of the Dead (Revised and Expanded)” as Want to Read:
Kings of the Dead (Revised and Expanded)

Kings of the Dead (Revised and Expanded)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  533 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
When the H1N1 “Swine Flu” virus mutates it begins to not only kill those who have received the vaccination, but also bring on the unthinkable: the dead reanimate.

Cole Helman and his friends are not only survival experts, they’ve spent hours discussing and preparing for just this event and quickly head to the hills before the cities become clogged with looting and riots. Bu
Published April 11th 2011 by Permuted Press (first published November 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Kings of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kings of the Dead

Kat
Nov 18, 2011 Kat rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombie
Kings of the Dead is written in journal form, which is a style I particularly like in zombie and post-apocalyptic books, as it tends to reveal more of the human emotion and daily struggles of the writer. There are also some entries from other characters, which add a new perspective to their situations.

The majority of Kings of the dead is written by Cole, a survivalist who, along with his wife and friends, has prepared for the worst and escaped from the cities before it all goes pear-shaped.
To be
Becky
3.5 Stars

I snagged this audiobook in a BOGO offer from Audible, and, as has been the case with most of the ones I acquire this way, I'm not sorry I did. This was a pretty decent zombie story, and it was a good bit of entertainment for a few hours while I knitted.

This was told in journal format, and unlike a certain... OTHER zombie book written in that format, this one was actually good. Not only was the journal mentioned as being for posterity, but the tone and style was actually the way that a
Brainycat
Jul 10, 2010 Brainycat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of post-apocalyptic or survivalist adventure
This book is written as a journal spanning about 3 detailed years followed by a long, drawn out denouement that covers another 6 years after a zombie apocalypse that nearly extincts humans. It's written from the point of view of a survivalist who had prepared for a civilization-ending event, though he's not a rightwing paramilitary type. In fact, the language (PAW, BOL, BZ, HF, etc) and the suppositions the author makes about the nature of the post-apocalypse world lead me to believe the author ...more
Heather Faville
Apr 12, 2011 Heather Faville rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not a true review as I am the wife of the author.

I just wanted it to be known that Kings of the Dead is now released through Permuted Press and has been revised and 30% expanded for this new publication. Some of our beta readers have stated that it is the "same great universe...just more of it" and I truly agree.
Felicia A
So....here's another one you zombie lovers will want to sink your teeth into. It's another one that I read, loved, and ended up editing a re-release of.

It was good to start with, and even better now what with the editing (!) and the snazzy new cover art from a Permuted Press artist.

Here is the original version: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/74...

And my original review:

Read from April 27 to 28, 2010

Nicole Smith
Apr 23, 2011 Nicole Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All zombie fans
Before I delve into my review of Tony Faville‘s Kings of the Dead, I must admit I haven’t read many zombie stories, so my knowledge of them is fairly limited, but I am an avid reader, so I still know what makes a great read, at least to me.

I like a story that draws me in and holds my attention to the very end. I like characters that I can relate to and who resonate with me. I also love stories that make me feel something — that touch my heart. And if they make me ask questions…even better.

Kings
Shirley
Jul 16, 2012 Shirley rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and it was a fairly quick read. The book was written in a journal style from the point of view of Cole (mainly with a few others thrown in occasionally). It's a post apocalyptic zombie novel.

I admit that it is hard to bring tears to my eyes when reading a novel (it's much easier when I watch a movie) but I found my eyes sweating three times in this novel. As you can imagine then, this novel deals with more than simply killing zombies and surviving, it also deals with
Felicia A
I read this in a few hours. It was very good, had some different twists, and was well written, hence my four star review. I thouroughly enjoyed this addition to my growing zombie collection. I am also pleased to report that, though this was a self-published offering, there are barely any editing complaints I have, which is unusual, and though there were mistakes here and there, it was refreshingly well proofread.

I think the journal style has been done enough, that's my only real complaint about
Fabian
Mar 24, 2016 Fabian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll start off by saying that I appreciate Mr. Faville's references to zombie film & literature scattered throughout his novel. This book first appealed to me because it is written in a similar style to J.L. Bourne's Day by Day Armageddon. In my opinion Kings of the Dead is superior because the story's protagonists aren't clueless victims in a zombie apocalypse, they are zombie aficionados prior to the outbreak. This book IS unnerving. It's not even the zombies which make this book unsettlin ...more
Kay
Apr 15, 2011 Kay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, it's well written with a storyline that veers away from the standard zombie books, it hooks you in straight away and really is a book where you are thinking "just one more page" and before you know it you have finished it.

I love the descriptive language and style of this book, it is a very enjoyable read for zombie fans and anyone - even if you are not into zombie fiction I would recommend this book. Yes it has some standard zombie aspects but the book is not so much about zo
David Biondi
I don't normally like to curse in my reviews but HOLY SHIT! This book was so intense I can't begin to explain. This isn't your normal zombie story. It focuses a lot more on the people and their living in the post apocalyptic world. The book reads like a journal which I found to make for an extremely easy read because most chapters or rather journal entries are nice and short. With this in mind you can't help but get so incredibly attached to the characters you react as their situations change. T ...more
Robert
Apr 23, 2010 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Bought it for the Kindle and read it in a day!
Aaron
Jun 21, 2010 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Kings of the Dead By Tony Faville

This is a zombie book. This is not just a book about going around killing zombies, seeing people get eaten and turned, and scrambling for shelter with no plans or character building. No this is the journal of Tony the Zombie Hunter, his life and his family and friends. However, there is a crap load of the killing and eating in this book.

This is Tony Faville’s first book. It was written in 22 days last year. I will be honest, I had never heard of this book before
Jamie Martinez
Dec 02, 2013 Jamie Martinez rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I purchased this audiobook for a planned road trip, that eventually fell through. I'm so disappointed. It reads like a 8th grader wrote it. The repetitiveness is overwhelming.

Example1... "H" called from the fort on his walkie talkie this morning. He was coming back from the fort, he was coming back fast, he has someone with him. He was pissed.

Example2... I watched one that collapsed like a demolition building. As it lay there unable to move, I could tell that it was still "living" even though
Dan C.
Apr 12, 2011 Dan C. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011, zombie
The UU Church we attend has a small group that meets Wednesday nights that, if memory serves, used to be called "The Gospel Group." Looking to revamp itself for the New Year, they rechristened themselves the "Heretics & Spirituality Group." One of the co-leaders is my friend on Facebook and she encouraged me to attend based on my zombie interest as they were going to be discussing zombies and spirituality. Only if you threw in a trashy 90s Eurodance beat could you have something better suite ...more
you know that you want my books ;)
the best zombie book that i have ever read!!!!

Are you someone that is always a step behind the times? Do you still do "The Wave" at sporting events? Do you still listen to audio cassettes? Did you just start texting? Here is your chance to be in on the NEW THING. The Book is KINGS OF THE DEAD by Tony Faville. His book is going to be HUGE! Why? Because it is the most authentic zombie book of all time. The book is written as a journal of the zombie apoc. (called the P.A.W. -post apocolyptic world
Jon Spoelstra
Mar 18, 2010 Jon Spoelstra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quirky
I had never read a zombies book before. Heck, the few times I started to watch zombie movies I got bored and stopped watching. Then I sat down to try Kings of the Dead. Before I started I was ready to dump it, but I thought I'd at least read the first couple chapters or so. Hours later I finished it. In one sitting.

So, here's the deal. Right from the get-go, Kings of the Dead grabs you. If it didn't, I wouldn't have stayed through it, nor written this review. Others describe the story line, I'm
Jason Taylor
Aug 13, 2011 Jason Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't expect much from this book. I ordered it after reading an article in USA Today about "good" apocalyptic novels that are a new fad in this country. I do like this genre, and I read it from time to time. In short, this was one of the most enjoyable reads that I've had. It's probably the best journal since Anne Frank. It's not too complicated and it's very human. The novel, like most apocalyptic works reduce civilization to it's most basic where laws and social norms are removed and the Te ...more
Badseedgirl
Jun 06, 2014 Badseedgirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Sometimes lightning does strike twice. The last two zombie novels I have read have been surprisingly well written and have been a credit to the genre. Kings of The Dead by Tony Faville most definitely falls into this category.

Written in Journal form similar to excellent "Zombie Fallout" series by Mark Tufo, and less successful but still great read "Day By Day Armageddon" by J.L. Bourne. This is the story of Cole Helman and his group of Zombie enthusiast survivors, who jokingly named themselves "
Rachelle
Apr 25, 2011 Rachelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I have read the first edition of this book and quite enjoyed it even though zombies are really my thing. Can't wait to read a nice chunk of this.
----
I have now finished and have completely enjoyed the new version of this adventure. Just the right amount of details, nicely placed adaptations to the origional story. Really was a very enjoyable read.
----

review will be available in May at DoubleshotReviews.com
Jim Johnston
Mar 03, 2012 Jim Johnston rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you are hoping for a new twist on the zombie apocalypse genre, look elsewhere. Mr. Faville's book reads as though it were written by a 15 year old with a penchant for cliched action films. That being said, I read every page. It's a quick read, and certainly could have been a worse first effort.
Lucas Darathy
This was okay. I liked some parts, and I liked them a lot. Other parts, though... not so much.

There was no real conflict. They'd go somewhere. There'd be some zombies, but it wasn't a chaotic situation. They'd handle it. And then find lots of food and weapons. Yay.

That's kinda it.

Once Kimmi started writing, it was much better (and about the last fifteen pages). She had a much more interesting voice and she made everything sound more real.

Cole as the big hero was a big stretch to me, though. He w
Wt
Lollie
Finally! A zombie book that lives up to the hype. I think it's the fact that it's written in the perspective of a journal, rather than an all out story.
Tony
May 10, 2011 Tony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies
Haven't been steered wrong yet by a Permuted Press book. Good stuff.
Jennifer Arney
Jun 06, 2011 Jennifer Arney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good, really cool story!
Melissa Dally
Mar 18, 2013 Melissa Dally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
A good journal-style read (sort of in the style of Day by Day Armageddon). Yes you will need to get over that the author named the main character & wife after himself and his IRL wife. It seems like a hugely silly thing to do, but he does it so what can ya do. Also I caught punctuation and grammar errors, but since this was supposed to be a dude's journal, maybe they were deliberate. The premise is what if zombies turned up in a world where people knew what zombies were. I have wondered this ...more
Riitta
Dec 03, 2012 Riitta rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies
Yeah......

+ for the conclusion, I hate when things are left hanging

% can't decide if either a plus or a minus: the book had a feel that it was written 'realistically' as in "what would I do in a zombie apocalypse". When thought of that way I thought with the scavenging etc I would imagine that is what would happen with survivors, but when thought in a way "this is a book not reality" it gets quite boring to read about finding different supplies page after page. I wanted more action and more dept
Leah
Feb 05, 2013 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not your typical zombie story. This story was more about the survivors and their daily struggles. There wasn't a lot of zombie interaction or zombie battle scenes. It was a tale of a group of survivors and how they interacted with each other, impacted each other and the bonds they built and how they grew through the experience. It was a very entertaining read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a nice break from the typical zombie story. If you are looking for tons of gore and zombie may ...more
Tina Borowski Golonka
Absolutely LOVED this book. Made me cry and know what it will be like when it this finally does happen!
  • New Zed Order: Survive
  • Eden
  • After Life
  • Twilight of the Dead
  • Down the Road
  • Every Sigh, the End
  • Grey Dogs
  • Dying to Live: Life Sentence (Dying to Live, #2)
  • After the End
  • Domain of the Dead (Domain of the Dead #1)
  • Tooth and Nail
  • Empire: A Zombie Novel
  • Lakewood Memorial
  • Flesh Eaters (Dead World, #3)
  • Zombie Britannica
  • Deadlands
  • The Undead Situation (Undead, #1)
  • Among the Living
Tony Faville, a true blood fan of the zombie genre, hailing from Portland, Oregon is a relative newcomer to the horror writing scene. His first book, Kings of the Dead, was released by Permuted Press in 2011 after tempering the waters with it as a self-published title for 2010. Tony is currently hard at work on his second novel tentatively titled Slow Burn.
More about Tony Faville...