Start by marking “South Wind Through the Kitchen: The Best of Elizabeth David” as Want to Read:
South Wind Through the Kitchen: The Best of Elizabeth David

South Wind Through the Kitchen: The Best of Elizabeth David

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Elizabeth David was one of the most influential and best-loved food writers of the 1950s, showing that food need not be complicated to be good. Many of the recipes and excerpts in this title were chosen by David's friends and by the chefs and writers she inspired, including Alice Waters and Barbara Kafka.
Published May 1st 2006 by David R. Godine Publisher (first published November 6th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about South Wind Through the Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about South Wind Through the Kitchen

Deb Hale
Sep 28, 2007 Deb Hale rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: die-hard lovers of food writing
I'd also recommend the book to anyone wanting to get an overview of the great food writer. The book is a collection of her works. Her recipes are far from typical recipes in form and sometimes in content. I do not enjoy reading recipes for the most part. But I do enjoy reading some of her essays and comments on particular recipes or food items. David was clearly ahead of her time.

If you're a David fan, I should note that I have come over -- and bought -- a 1999 novel titled "Luch with Elizabeth
Salvatore
One of the most interesting and badass cookbooks I've ever seen - or read. Reading Elizabeth David is hysterical and a treat. I don't know of any other stylist in the cooking world so terse and right. She's more inspirational than someone to follow to a T (since her recipes are more off the cuff but supremely well-researched).
Maria
I will refer to this time and time again. She inspires me!
Kristina Moses
Kristina Moses marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Laura is currently reading it
Sep 30, 2014
Nena Radosavljevic
Nena Radosavljevic marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
P L
P L marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Jeff Schilling
Jeff Schilling is currently reading it
Sep 29, 2014
Rachel Hope
Rachel Hope marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Yessica P
Yessica P marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Carol Perryman
Carol Perryman marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
David
David is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2014
Danreader
Danreader is currently reading it
Apr 18, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Carolina
Carolina marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
12090
Born Elizabeth Gwynne, she was of mixed English and Irish ancestry, and came from a rather grand background, growing up in the 17th-century Sussex manor house, Wootton Manor. Her parents were Rupert Gwynne, Conservative MP for Eastbourne, and the Hon. Stella Ridley, who came from a distinguished Northumberland family. They had three other daughters.

She studied Literature and History at the Sorbonn
More about Elizabeth David...
French Provincial Cooking An Omelette and a Glass of Wine Italian Food A Book of Mediterranean Food English Bread And Yeast Cookery