Start by marking “Introducing HTML5” as Want to Read:
Introducing HTML5

Introducing HTML5

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  431 ratings  ·  28 reviews
HTML5 continues to evolve, browsers are implementating at break-neck speed and HTML5 web sites spring up like flowers after rain. More than ever, you need to get acquainted with the powerful new possibilities in web and application design. That's why we've crafted a second edition of this book to help you stay on top of current developments. This book shows you how to star ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 312 pages
Published October 28th 2011 by New Riders Publishing (first published July 11th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing HTML5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing HTML5

Chad Warner
Feb 09, 2012 Chad Warner rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chad by: SitePoint
An entertaining introduction to HTML5 with real-world examples. Bruce Lawson and Remy Sharp have a creatively funny writing style, and I laughed at many of their code samples. The book covers several topics: structure, text, forms, video and audio, canvas, data storage, offline, drag and drop, geolocation, and messages, workers, and sockets.

I liked the chapters on structure, text, forms, and video and audio. The remaining sections were good for me to read about, but I won’t likely be using them
Allan Kent
Bruce Lawson makes me swoon.
Ash Moran
I'm a software developer and most of the stuff I work on is web-related. But I've done primarily server-side work, and I've been put off doing more client-side development due to the poor programming model in web browsers. As The Register once put it, In Web 2.0, we are able to create a Rich Internet Application, and give the user the experience he deserves. Careful observers may notice, however, that the programming model has lost some of its former coherence. I read this book in the hope it wo ...more
Josh
The book tended to venture outside the domain of HTML5 and would be better described as a book about new web technologies whose primary focus is the changes to the standard brought by HTML5. I'm not complaining about the inclusion of APIs that aren't part of the HTML5 spec, though. Web Sockets and the like are extremely important to web app development going forward and I'm glad I got a taste of how to use the technology.

The authors are pretty heavy on the assumption of a JavaScript background,
Caitlin
A great introduction to HTML 5 - well-written and actually fun while not eclipsing the technical content that makes it a useful book. My only negative remark (which is why it's received 4 stars instead of 5) has to be about the quality of the print, which in my edition (and others I've seen) is a little on the cruddy side - in particular poor registration renders a certain amount of the text fuzzy and in some places you actually need to peer and really concentrate to work out what the text says. ...more
Mary Zimnik
I'm using this in my HTML5 class I teach at Emory University Continuing Ed in the Web Design/Development Certificate. I find it to be a great starter book for anyone who needs to bridge from 4 to 5. That said, do be sure you are strong with the HTML4 standard before moving on to 5 (as well as CSS2, CSS3 and JavaScript since you'll use a lot of JavaScript with the Canvas Element). This book is a great first step, providing a real world, real language methodology to understanding how the long-term ...more
Zignorp
Pretty great jumping off point, I got the first edition out of the library, then bought the 2nd edition, glad I waited for it. For technology that's still changing, with levels of support growing all the time, this does a good job for a static resource, and I have always really liked both authors for their ability to nail things down, weigh pros and cons of different options and technologies (saving me time) and still include plenty of cool stuff. It's definitely an introduction, I'd like to rea ...more
Spencer
Bruce Lawson and Remy Sharp are defiantly people who know their stuff when it comes to HTML5. The book is readable for most users familiar with HTML at all, but also goes very advanced with regard to video.

I'd recommend Chapters :
1 HTML 5 Structure
2 Text
3 Forms
and
6 Data Storage

All the other chapters are designed for people wanting to implement, workers, GeoLocation aware webpages, Drag and Drop and I find them to be waaaaaayyy above my skill level.
Sijmen
This is how most introductory tech books should be written. A gentle introduction that doesn’t skip over anything important and points out some important caveats, in a nice and informal style with enough humour without overdoing it.

My copy, presumably first edition, has some misaligned colours which leads to blurry text here and there, especially in the coloured code listings. I also noticed some small copy mistakes but I trust that’s been fixed with more recent editions.
paul redman
I recently attended a Microsoft event featuring IE9, HTML 5 & Windows Phone 7. While at this event I won a copy of "Introducing HTML 5". I have been looking for a good book that could layout HTML 5 in a simple, systematic way that is easy to understand. This book hits the marks perfectly and I recommend it to anyone that is interested in learning the basics of HTML 5.
dario
As usual, technical books get aged swiftly.
This confirm that rule, in some aspects.

Writing about some "techie" topics seems to be redundant or contradictory, ie: sockets is just one example.

By far, some "real world sites" do not exist anymore, so, imagination comes to rescue.

But html5 is here, aside, and will replace the actual code.

Good. Just good.
Christian Krog
A great tour de force of HTML5 illustrating the most interesting of the new features as well as the features of several interesting separate specifications, that are all bound to become a standard part of the arsenal of web developers. Very easy to read with plenty of relevant examples.
Sergey Shishkin
This book is a good overview of what HTML5 brings to web development. It is much fun to read and is very well written. Since HTML5 browser support is being developed very rapidly, an old-school paper book is probably not the best medium for the knowledge presented in this book.
Steve Libbey
Jan 30, 2011 Steve Libbey is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Thus far, pretty clear explanations that go deep into the syntax and schema. I'm taking it slowly, trying to absorb as much as possible. My HTML5 knowledge is rudimentary at best; I have coded my portfolio site in it, nothing more.
William
Good enough, and starts off well. Good basics as an introduction. Not as satisfying as other HTML5 introductions, however, because it soon seems to wander, sometimes into non-introductory areas.
Tracy E. Hieatt
In-depth and talks in easy-going language for intermediate to advanced designers straight from a couple guys involved in HTML5 development. I used this to create my current templates.
Dean Jones
I'm reading this book on and off when I need it. So far it's been a great, quick read for getting up to speed on current HTML5 technology. I've already put a lot of it to use.
Fabrizio
Great quick book to read to familiarise yourself with the new HTML5 and shows all sort of situation where you need to adapt the code to get your websites future proof.
Artur
A little bit outdated, but a very good intro. It provides a holistic view of HTML 5 and highlights the new idea (semantic web) behind HTML 5 compared to 4 or XHTML.
Evgeny Godov
Must-to-read chapters are: multimedia, stand-alone functions, API geolocations. Though, it doesn't enough for making smth like "Canvas Rider" for Chrome :)
Peter
Used this during July and August while teaching BTI220.

Excellent for what it was supposed to do (check the table of contents for that).

Aurora library.
Derek Bridge
This is a nice, snappy treatment of the upcoming next version of HTML. Timely, with good content, well-explained.
Abdelhadi Khiati
a cool book that introduce to you the all options of HTML5 but it still not enough for professionals
Scott
Great primer. I am sure I will be rereading sections often.
Sonali
Loved it! Great introduction to HTML5.
Md Rascals
Nov 06, 2013 Md Rascals marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
its very good
useful for the book
Yasmine
Funny and very informative!
Milan Halder
  • Professional JavaScript for Web Developers
  • Mobile First
  • CSS: The Definitive Guide

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »