Start by marking “Donovan's Daughter (The Californians, #4)” as Want to Read:
Donovan's Daughter (The Californians, #4)

Donovan's Daughter (The Californians #4)

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  4,136 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
When an angry snowstorm forces Marcail Donovan to seek shelter for the night at Dr. Alexander Montgomery's house, the pretty new schoolteacher is thrust into a small-town scandal that threatens her career. Will she bow to the false accusations of Cordelia Duckworth, an embittered old woman whose wealth and influence keep the town at her mercy? Or will she fight back?The co ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 409 pages
Published December 1st 1999 by Thorndike Press (first published 1994)

Karen & Gerard
Jul 29, 2008 Karen & Gerard rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers, Christians
This is a Christian romance set in the 1800s which is the last in the Californians series by Lori Wick. I hadn't read the previous books but this one is good enough to stand on its own. Marcail's dream was to be a school teacher in her own classroom. She moved to Willits on her own to accept her first teaching position. One grandmother of a bratty boy in her class that sat on the school board and ran the town became the "thorn in her side."

When Marcail's reputation was at stake, Alex, the town
Judine
This book is much better than its predecessor, but I found myself a little confused by the number of character in it -- too many names to keep track of. However, it's a similar story to "Sean Donovan" with Marcail's marriage of convenience, but it seems to be set on a more believable timeline (over the course of almost two years), which I like.
Ashley
Aug 29, 2016 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all-time favorite books. One of the three I reach for on a bad day, when I need to curl up with a "security blanket" book. I love the tender way Alex takes care of Marcail and sees to all her fears.
Willowy Whisper
Feb 10, 2015 Willowy Whisper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So romantic...loved the doctor!!!
sarah
Sep 12, 2008 sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really don't get into this type of book, the romance novel, Christian or not, but these kept my attention and were highly recommended one summer by my mother. They are excellent and not simply romance novels. They are about real struggles with life and Christianity. I tried to read others and never got through them. These are the best.
Cera
Sep 03, 2015 Cera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my all time favorite reads! Love the plot. I have probably read it at least ten times.
Louise
Aug 14, 2009 Louise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The thrilling conclusion to "The Californians" series.

Ms. Wick's novels are so enchanting, make you feel good, are easy to read and leave you with a message...something to think about.

"She came to teach, her hopes high, her dreams coming true. But a dark shadow looms over Marcail's happiness.

Julie Graves
Marcail is now 19 years old and headed to Willits for her first teaching job. Her father helped her pick the right job. Willits has a strict dress code, Marcail must wear her hair up and only wear dark dresses and conduct herself in a manner that is above reproach.

Upon arrival in Willits Marcail is told that she must also interview with Cordelia Duckworth. Mrs. Duckworth owns the majority of the town and makes sure everyone knows it. It is her rule that Marcail wear her hair up and wear the dark
Barbara
Marcail Donovan's story is a fascinating one, and I loved the way she gradually became more aware of the many things that influenced her fears and insecurities. Family relationships, marital ups and downs, faith, the responsibilities and rewards of teaching, the way riches and power can sometimes corrupt people, and the miraculous way God can intervene and change people for the better all factor into this plot. I highly recommend this Christian historical fiction novel.
Marie Freundl
Jul 18, 2016 Marie Freundl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore this book. It made me realize that I sin even when I don't mean to. I don't always realize I'm doing something unless someone points it out to me. I don't always pray for what I need either but rather what I want, I relate to Marcail so much and she's one of my favorite characters in this series.
Deborah C.
Aug 21, 2015 Deborah C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of my all-time favorites. Lori Wick outdid herself(again!) with the depth of her characters and there is just enough drama to keep you hooked. Every time I read this I can never put it down until the end. For anyone who likes a clean, Christian, marriage of convenience novel.
Dawn Michelle
January 1992
This was my favorite book of this series.

Re-Read
January 20, 2010
Re-Read~November 8, 2011
STILL my favorite of the series. And much needed right now!!! Even though it still makes me cry!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One last book for this year. Reading it now. :-)
RE-READ~ December 31, 2013

Last book of
Kim
Jun 19, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author was fun for me to read. I really liked this series. It's refreshing to see popular books speak so much of faith, scripture, and love. I love that combination so I loved this series!
Melissa
My mother borrowed this series from a friend when I was 14 or 15. I was bored, so I read them even though Christian fiction wasn't/isn't my thing.
Mary Mortimer
May 18, 2016 Mary Mortimer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent novel of how God works in order to teach us to love, trust, and find faith in him through all circumstances.
Miss Clark
Considering this was a re-read from vague memories of having read it several years ago and my most vivid memories were that Marcail had long hair that gave her headaches and a fear of doctors, and got caught in a snowstorm and hurt her back, those still are the highlights of the book. It is not a bad book by any means, but if you have read several Christian Western romances, they start to sound the same and this one did not really distinguish itself from the pack for me. However, I did really li ...more
Anna
Feb 23, 2012 Anna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn't terrible....jst wasn't great... I think I would've had a better opinion of it, if the book before this didn't have such a similar plot. Which I didn't feel was bad. I just felt that I was reading the same book over again. Another thing I didn't like was it felt extremely slow, and it was dragging on.

However, with that being said. I did enjoy hearing more about Marcail. And Alex was charming, maybe a little too perfect. I did wish we could've heard some more about Sean and Char
Faith Posten
Sweet story.
Mariah H
Jan 05, 2016 Mariah H rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
beautiful
Eileen Bartsch
Dec 16, 2015 Eileen Bartsch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eileen
Stephanie Gilyeat
love it
Cynthia
May 25, 2015 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
what a great way to end a story
JoAnn
Sep 05, 2015 JoAnn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Lori Wick. I got all four books in this series last year, and read through the first 3 pretty quick. I kept meaning to finish the last book, but kept putting it off. So glad I finally picked it up and finished it. It was a great ending to the series, and I loved seeing all the characters brought back. I've always enjoyed Lori Wick's books, and this one didn't disappoint either. I highly recommend the whole series.
Chaya & Cinnamon
Beautiful love story where Marcail Donovan finds her true love, Alex. I really enjoyed the romance! I love the way they help each other.
Sad that a pushy bully who basically ran the town made so much trouble for decent people. That was really hard to put up with, but Marcail and Alex prevail as does their love and faith. They help several people and that was great to read. :)
Fola
Mar 09, 2014 Fola rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can not stress how much I love this book! I find that a lot of the time in some if the newer Christian Fiction the people fall in love but its all of these outside elements that keep them apart and they have this huge struggle until the end. But what I love about this is that it is a love story in the truest sense of the word
Hattebury
Mar 15, 2008 Hattebury rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hattebury by: Kristin Attebury
Shelves: holly
I like this author. It is romance novels that are clean, she is a christian author and all her characters find themselves born again so she shares religious views but I just skip over them. The novels are cute and fast read without much thinking and nothing dirty at all. I really enjoy reading her.
Becky
Sep 08, 2016 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was really disappointed in this book- being the last of the series. It was not what I was expecting for the end. I still enjoyed the book, but thought that it shouldn't have copied 2 of the other books in the series.
Marielle
As with the whole series, this is another romance infused with faith. I liked the insights this book had about what individuals should bring to a marriage. A fun end for the series.
Larry Holshu
Mar 10, 2012 Larry Holshu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
The final book in a 4 book story. Wonderfully written and heart warming. A must read For everyone. I actually started reading this book 3/07/2012 and finished it today.
Ashley
May 29, 2013 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love all of Lori Wick's novels, especially this series. However, while this book was a good read, it was not nearly as engaging as the novels before it in the series.
  • Heart of the Wilderness
  • Hope (Brides of the West, #3)
  • Toward the Sunrising (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #4)
  • Port Royal (Buccaneers #1)
  • Kansas Brides: Stranger's Bride/Never a Bride/Bittersweet Bride/His Brother's Bride
  • Calico Canyon (Lassoed in Texas, #2)
FROM THE PUBLISHER:
Lori Wick is known as one of the most versatile Christian fiction writers on the market today. From pioneer fiction to a series set in Victorian England to a contemporary novel, Lori's books (over 5 million in print) continue to delight readers and top the Christian bestselling fiction list. Lori and her husband, Bob, live in Wisconsin with "the three coolest kids in the world."
More about Lori Wick...

The Californians (4 books)
  • Whatever Tomorrow Brings (The Californians, #1)
  • As Time Goes By (The Californians, #2)
  • Sean Donovan (The Californians, #3)