The Urantia Book

The Urantia Book

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  416 ratings  ·  74 reviews
This priceless and inexhaustible resource is the ultimate synthesis of "science, philosophy and truth", of "reason, wisdom and faith", of "past, present and future".
Published by The Urantia Foundation (first published 1942)

Heidi
About the Urantia Book
Posted on GoodReads September 18, 2009

This is my favorite book. I have been reading it, on and off, since 1972. It is the most complete, informative, reassuring, stimulating, mind-blowing, and inspiring book I have ever read. This book becomes a best friend that you always want near at hand. I have read it cover to cover a couple of times, and I have read sections over and over. I always interpret it in new ways, gaining new insights with every read. The Urantia Book has be...more
Mitchell Tsai
Saved my life. Main reason I didn't suicide in 1986 at the beginning of a 12-yr suicidal depression 1986-98, and one of the main reasons I became spiritual after growing up in an atheistic/agnostic family.

Almost completed replaced other cosmologies in my beliefs (Caveat: My early training as a mathematician & scientist...means that I hold many inconsistent views of reality simultaneously). Overall, I have a 99+% belief in this not-channelled, but esoteric work.

It's one of the VERY RARE books...more
Lisa Withrow
My mom was in a Urantia study group, at her church, in the '70s. I read some of it then, at 14 I asked her, "You do realize this book says we evolve from aliens don't you?"

I found it after she died, while cleaning out her house, and read it cover to cover. I loved the margin notes and highlghts she had left. It is an amazing read. My favorite sections are the history of Earth (Urantia) and the intricate story behind the 20+ years of Jesus' life not covered in the New Testament.

Long story shor...more
Michael Westbrook
100:4.4 "In physical life the senses tell of the existence of things; mind discovers the reality of meanings; but the spiritual experience reveals to the individual the true values of life. These high levels of human living are attained in the supreme love of God and in the unselfish love of man. If you love your fellow men, you must have discovered their values. Jesus loved men so much because he placed such a high value upon them. You can best discover values in your associates by discovering...more
Mikey
Depending on ones point of view it either:
1)imaginatively expands on the broader aspects of possible reality throughout the Universes of Universes and the history of earth from a religious/scientific worldview
2)Corrects many of the false beliefs regarding G_d, history, religion and politics, science etc. and especially focuses on correcting the beliefs about Jesus, his life, his mission, the purpose of it all with regard to salvation and the true religion that Jesus intended his followers to h...more
Grayson
First of all, this book is not for everyone. It deals with the creation of our universe, the history of man, energy, time, space, and the reason for the fabric of our existence. I feel this book is way ahead of it's time. Now many of the ideas presented in this book contradict Christianity and virtually all dogma in some form or another. This book is very long and I will be reading it for many years to come.

The contents of this book came to be through "channeling." For those of you who don't kno...more
W.C.
Frightening. So you've got this book mostly written in the 30s by a bunch of freaky weirdies. And it says some awesome stuff like "And God spoke and said the proton is one thousand times the mass of an electron" and other totally out-of-nowhere-ness. Most people focus on the overwhelming cosmology at the beginning of the book, or the biography of Christ at the end; both those sections just drag after a while and don't have much to add. I got into the middle sections, the philosophical/scientific...more
Mark Branham
I know how fortunate I am to have been relatively free of so-called religious "stuff" when I came upon this book back in 1980. I count this freedom from dogma as the main reason I was able to read this book and judge it on its own. It has certainly changed my life, and will do the same for anyone who assimilates this book into their own life. While you must do your own work and make your own progress, the rewards are infinite. Too many people will come to this with preconceived notions of what r...more
Angie
I don't like to poke fun at texts that others find spiritual or enlightening, so I'll just say this: You could not find a better work of sci-fi/fantasy if William Gibson, Terry Pratchett, and the folks at Forgotten Realms collaborated.

It's like The Passion of The Christ and Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and Dune rolled into the Star Wars saga. I wish I were exaggerating.
Rachaelbg Bertos Haviland
Read this cover to cover about 10 years ago. Hmmmm. Found it very interesting, had some strange dreams while reading it, don't really know how to rate it, or review it. All I can say is I would love to be in a room with the group of people who wrote this book, have a drink, and a long conversation.....
Nyoman Kiavano
You want to be enlightened? Read this wonderful yet very difficult to comprehend book. But beware, because all the information that contained in this book will blow your mind into a state that you will never imagined!
Sekhemetshathor

For the week starting Sunday, June 21st:

June 21

The intellectual earmark of religion is certainty; the philosophical characteristic is consistency; the social fruits are love and service. [The Urantia Book, p. 1126, par. 5:]

June 22

Many who are inwardly sure about God fear to assert such feelings of certainty because of the multiplicity and cleverness of those who assemble objections and magnify difficulties about believing in God. [The Urantia Book, p. 1126, par. 6:]

June 23

It requires no great de...more
J.Z. Murdock
I had this book for decades before I learned much about where it came from. It is an amazing book to read just to wonder about it's validity or origins. Then I found out its origins.

From a functional point of view, there is not much in this book to elevate you spiritually. I doesn't have the answer. But that being said, to each their own and you have to make up your own mind.

However, to read it from the beginning, can do things to your mind. People tend to browse this book and discount its use...more
A-bookworm
First off, let me say I have NOT finished this book, which I know is wimpy since it's only 2,132 pages as thin as onion skin. But I would like to meet the person who can sit down and read this from cover to cover w/o having to take long breaks, because this book is a mind bender. Whether you are a staunch believer in any religion or a total atheist, if you delve deep enough into this book it will leave you thoroughly rattled.

Secondly, let me say this has been well reviewed under a shorter name,...more
Edd Knowles
T-Tèche
Let me just say that I had to read and re-read these pages because of the content. So intense and prolific. I felt, at times, that this book came from a higher source. I recommend this book to everyone, definitely a must-read.
Comelibros
Un libro que carece de realidad; no tiene autor y además habla del universo de super-universos sin tener ninguna base científica. Habra que preguntarse que opinan los cientificos, austronomos, etc. Otra cosas como la formación de la tierra y sus siete razas. Dudoso planteamiento; pero mi mayor decepción es que después de haber leído “La rebelión de lucifer” y “Los caballos de Troya” de Juan José Benítez; me diera cuenta que la mayor parte de estos libros son casi una copia del libro de “Libro de...more
Aaron Schiffer
I've had the distinct pleasure of having one branch of my group of friends, actually believe this and form book study groups around it. So fun. But so reminiscent of Christianity and its Bible studies, it makes one shudder. The third part is where it really gets going, elaborating on the history of the universe and of man, and the fourth part about Jesus is pretty in depth. Just don't drink the Kool-Aid and it's fine. The fact that it IS Kool-Aid for some people is scary though.
78speed
Hands down the most amazing, powerful, transforming and enlightening book on the planet. That this is not the most lightweight read would be an understatement. If you get into this book, you'll be reading it for life, and the more you read the more amazing the whole picture becomes. And once the significance of the book itself (a one-of-a-kind epochal revelation) is grasped, one's perspective of this crazy backward planet earth in time and space, will be changed forever.
Stephen Beam
The Urantia Book is the only book I've read over and over again, each reading more amazing than the last.

I'm not going to attempt to describe the contents - it is in the public domain - grab a copy and become a citizen of the universe of universes.
Yaaresse
I haven't bothered to write anything about most of the stuff on my pre-2005 read shelf because it was a long time ago and memory fades, but this is one of those books that is kind of embarrassing to have on a list without some kind of explanation.

So here it goes: It was the 80s. I was in college. I had a lot of friends who were trying to find something to believe in...as I was. We read a lot of really insane crap. It can be argued (maybe) that this was not more bat-shit crazy than some other st...more
Stephen Simpson
A very difficult book to review/summarize. On one hand, it's a batcrap-crazy collection of pseudoscience, pseudohistory, and pseduoanthropology. As a religious/spiritual work, it's not any worse than the core works of many religions that boast millions of members today and are generally regarded as "real" religions, and there are some pretty insightful passages and concepts within.

At a minimum, it presents an interesting and engaging cosmology, so even those who utterly reject the religious/spir...more
Krishna Feldman
When I was 10 I was seriously doubting God's existence. I had read parts of Genesis and couldn't believe it (I knew a thing or two about geology). So I asked my dad, "If I don't believe in the bible, does that mean I don't believe in God?" My dad basically said that the two did not go hand in hand, I could believe in God and not in the bible. But also, many don't believe that the bible is literal, it is full of stories (and really they were written for the unscientific minds of people 2000 years...more
Stein
I thought that a detailed critique, on a rational level, should be presented for such a major “revelatory” religious work but this will be short and to the point. I studied the Urantia Book (UB) in the 80s and for a brief time it impressed me to the point where I felt it had much to offer and should indeed be regarded as worthy of serious consideration to help guide mankind towards a better spiritual and social existence. The UB has many admirers but it has largely been ignored by academics, the...more
Revella Notvanella
Another I will be reading and reading for some time--I don't get caught up in the 'Is it true, if

its true, or how its true' all that, for a Spiritualist, its one of the most resourceful books I've

found. Doesn't feel like blasphemy reading it or doubting certain parts and discarding others, its

still that useful. My favorite parts:

Gods Relation to the Individual

The Local Universe Mother Spirit

Energy, Mind and Matter

48-54,The Morontia Life (Makes me feel like an Amoeba, lol, but hell thats why its...more
Adrian Nieto
El libro de Urantia.
Mas de 2000 paginas lo hacen un libro complicado de leer, mucha informacion, muchos temas que trata, y en general es ficcion bastante bien diseñada, ideas muy alocadas para la epoca en la que fue hecho, y un concepto de Jesus, Dios y la creacion que lleva bastante tiempo en ser digerido, comprendido, y disfrutado.

Conforme lo lei, me di cuenta que la mayor parte de los libros de Caballo de Troya, de J.J. Benitez, son adaptaciones (a veces incluso transcripciones) de los que...more
Thumper
This book came out in 1955 and is "sponsered" by a Uversa Corps of Superuniverse Personalities acting by authority of Gabriel of Salvington!!! It is some 2100 pages describing the life of Christ (including his "missing years", the evolution of religion, religion in human experience, and various other related topics. The foundation still exists and is predicting the second coming of Christ this Spring or Summer on their radio broadcasts. A very interesting and deeply intriging concept from some "...more
Gaby Farrera
My faith contained in one book. All the books I ever read and everything I believed in, slowly, but surely, finally pointed me to this book. I guess I could that the eagerness that drove me to be a good reader was only a mean to find and understand this one book. It gave me much peace, by strengthening and maturing my faith. I wish everyone else the same, but this book must come at the right time for each one. I only hope everyone, sometime before dying, reads it and has the courage and enlighte...more
Matthew Petti
This voluminous compendium has been on my shelf for over 25 years. It is full of fascinating descriptions of the Universe, Angels, God and the Life and teachings of Jesus Christ. It can be viewed online as well, but the Table of Contents alone takes more than an hour to peruse.

It has been a reference book for me and one in which I've spent countless hours reading and questioning. It helps us to consider much more than what we've been led to believe and is a remarkable array of writings known as...more
Merrill
Nov 08, 2007 Merrill is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing like a little academia to spice up that religion. I don't think I'll ever finish this book, but it's absolutely fascinating. Picking through the Bible in conjunction with this one helps keep me going.
For those who haven't heard of it, it's kind of the Bible for the rest of the universe. Our planet is Urantia, and someone went to a lot of trouble to explain to us our planet, our universe, and the existence of God. Haven't read enough to say much more.
urantia 4 28 Jun 22, 2012 09:25AM
  • Initiation
  • Vacation
  • Strange Angel: The Otherworldly Life of Rocket Scientist John Whiteside Parsons
  • The Orion Mystery: Unlocking the Secrets of the Pyramids
  • The Stargate Conspiracy
  • The Hidden History of the Human Race - The condensed edition of Forbidden Archeology
  • Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy
  • Plague of Angels (The Descended, #1)
  • Gods of Eden
  • Morals and Dogma of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry
  • Bringers of the Dawn: Teachings from the Pleiadians
  • Of Water and the Spirit: Ritual, Magic and Initiation in the Life of an African Shaman
  • The Christ Conspiracy: The Greatest Story Ever Sold
  • Serpent in the Sky: The High Wisdom of Ancient Egypt
  • Twice Born
  • He Came to Set the Captives Free
  • The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America: A Chronological Paper Trail
  • Fallen Hopes, Taken Dreams
Urantia Foundation was established in 1950 to be the custodian of the inviolate text of The Urantia Book and to ensure that the book's teachings are spread, with the help of readers and fraternal organizations, to all people. This site is provided as a service to the community of Urantia Book readers and in no way implies responsibility for any individual, religious group, or social organization.

U...more
More about Urantia Foundation...
The Urantia Book Concordance The Urantia Book The Urantia Book Workbooks: Volume IV - Jesus The Urantia Papers, Pts. I Iv The Urantia Book Part IV: Jesus' Healings, Parables and Ministry - Book 3