The Magic School Bus Takes A Dive: A Book About Coral Reefs

The Magic School Bus Takes A Dive: A Book About Coral Reefs (Magic School Bus TV Tie-Ins)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  11 reviews
With help from Red Beard's treasure map, Ms. Frizzle and her class discover the animals and plants of the coral reef and their symbiotic relationships.
Published November 1st 1998 by Scholastic Paperbacks

Rosa Cline
Sat down to read this (Like we've done with all the other Magic School Bus books)to my special needs teen age son. We have enjoyed the books and I like the fact you learn a little Science with the story etc. However this book is so jumbled with comic book type wise cracks you can't see the picturs very well because of the bubbles with the thoughts (words) etc. So it was boring for me to read and boring for my son to look at the pictures. I hate to give a Magic School Bus book a low rating but th...more
Eva Leger
Julia really likes these Magic School Bus books. She likes the cartoons also but we don't catch those much, if they're even still on.
We both like that these books have little bits where the kids speak so while that makes for somewhat difficult reading and following at times, it does add something to the stories.
This one, Takes a Dive, is all about teamwork and Ms. Frizzle and the class are helping Wanda understand why teamwork is so important.
Julia especially loves the info included and I have t...more
Daniel
The Magic School Bus books have done absolutely wonderful things for children and their interest in science. Take a group of children, who become familiar/family, and a teacher that is unlike most teachers, and we bring the reader straight into a science project.

In this book, we go under water and learn about Coral Reefs. The book's author does a good job of combining a small plot, unique character traits, and just enough lesson that we enjoy learning something new, but not so much that we feel...more
Dolly
This is an interesting story and short enough to keep our girls' attention, but it has comic book-like dialogue that is easier to read silently than to read aloud. We've several of the books in the Magic School Bus picture book series and our girls love them. I prefer the Magic School Bus chapter books to read aloud to the girls, since they are easier to read aloud, with the dialogue incorporated smoothly into the narrative. Otherwise, it's a colorful and fun book that talks a lot about coral re...more
Heather
My generic review of the Magic School Bus books -

We really love the series. This book doesn't have all the cartoony dialouge asides that the earlier books have. There are maybe a comment or two per page instead of full conversations. Some people hate that; I think I prefer it. The page is less busy.

These books clearly explain a certain topic. There are often additional activities at the end of the book for further learning.

We read these for 'fun' during picture book time and we read them when l...more
Lauren Owens
This book is great for elaborating on different habitats and talking about sea animals. Names of sea animals who live in coral reefs are included and some are even described past the picture so the students can really grasp what they are like. The dialogue bubbles are easy to follow and add excitement to the pages.
Recommended grade levels: 1-5
Southernbelle0326
This book has a moral called teamwork. I picked up this book b/c my sister had got it from the library and I used to read the MAGIC SCHOOL BUS books but I didnt recall reading this one. Its a book about coral reefs and you can help your child learn about the animals under water. I would read it for my child.
Alicia
This book has a lot of scientific information, but the story line is so weird I don't like reading the book. It is not my old classic Magic School Bus books that I read when I was a kid.
Lita
This is a fun science book that teaches about coral reefs. This book also teaches about how teamwork can be beneficial to living things.
Meadow
Not the kind of "dive" I was expecting. I thought for sure it was about throwing SAT scores.
Tammie
Coral reef
It's inhabitants
Underwater creatures
Team work
Gr2-4
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Grace
Grace added it
Jul 03, 2014
Sharon
Sharon added it
Jun 26, 2014
Mrsvvnhongmail.com
Mrsvvnhongmail.com marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Hannah
Hannah added it
Dec 19, 2013
Janelle Phinney
Janelle Phinney marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
V
V marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Joanna Cole who also writes under the pseudonym B. J. Barnet is an author of children’s books who teaches science.

She is most famous as the author of The Magic School Bus series of children's books. Joanna Cole has written over 250 books ranging from her first book Cockroach to her famous series Magic School Bus.

Cole was born in Newark, New Jersey, and grew up in nearby East Orange. She loved scie...more
More about Joanna Cole...
The Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body (The Magic School Bus, #3) The Magic School Bus Lost in the Solar System (The Magic School Bus, #4) The Magic School Bus on the Ocean Floor (The Magic School Bus, #5) The Magic School Bus Gets Baked in a Cake: A Book About Kitchen Chemistry The Magic School Bus Inside Ralphie: A Book About Germs