Start by marking “Flat-Out Love (Flat-Out Love, #1)” as Want to Read:
Flat-Out Love (Flat-Out Love, #1)

Flat-Out Love (Flat-Out Love #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  37,676 ratings  ·  4,074 reviews
Flat-Out Love is a warm and witty novel of family love and dysfunction, deep heartache and raw vulnerability, with a bit of mystery and one whopping, knock-you-to-your-knees romance.

It's not what you know - or when you see - that matters. It's about a journey.

Something is seriously off in the Watkins home. And Julie Seagle, college freshman, small-town Ohio transplant, and
Published April 11th 2011 by Jessica Park (first published January 1st 2011)

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireEasy by Tammara WebberFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesThoughtless by S.C. StephensEffortless by S.C. Stephens
College Romance
9th out of 830 books — 6,206 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesHopeless by Colleen HooverEffortless by S.C. StephensThoughtless by S.C. Stephens
Best Book Boyfriends
81st out of 4,650 books — 18,033 voters

More lists with this book...

Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
The first review I wrote consisted almost entirely of incoherent gushing. This one is pretty much like that, but I did manage to include some useful info. Don’t expect much, though. I can’t remember the last time I felt this way about a book.

As a dedicated reader, I don't think I've ever connected to a story quite this much. There are so many books that are close to my heart for some reason or other, but there was never one so achingly familiar and mine. And it wasn’t just one character that I
kristina
Feb 23, 2013 kristina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to kristina by: La-Lionne
Shelves: contemporary
The truth is that when I started reading this I expected a romance story.

But I wasnt disappointed , because this was awesome!

How would you feel if your apartment deal fell through ?

That would be bad...
Fortunatelly Julie's mother contacts with an old college friend , so Julie is moving at their home.

The Watkins seem to be a weird family with many secrets that Julie discovers during the book.However the oddest thing of all is Celeste , the youngest member of this family.

She wasn't crazy , she was
Limonessa
Have you ever...

-got a crush on a penfriend you never or barely met?
-pined a whole year - or more - for your summer crush?
-fallen in love with the idea of someone, idolizing him/her and thus making him/her perfect?

In other words:

Have you ever fallen in love with LOVE?

If you've recognized yourself in any of these questions, then this is the book for you.

Julie is from Ohio but she's starting college in Boston. When she arrives to find the apartment she thought she rented to be a total scam, her l
Karla
Only .99 on Amazon 12/31/12, and if you haven't read it...it's definitely worth checking out!

5 HUGE STARS! Incredible book, from an incredible talent...I LOVED it!

Nothing flat about this book at all, it’s bursting at the seams with delightful characters, raw emotion, terrific dialogue, humor and heartache. This is a beautifully written unconventional love story. It’s hard to put into words how much this book touched me. Jessica Park is one of those extraordinary writers that draws you in and ha
Elizabeth (Liz)
Goodreads asks me, 'What did you think?'. How in the world do I appropriately, adequately, answer that question with regard to Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park?! I'm certainly no author; I'm not even a 'real' reviewer. So, how do I put into words just how much I love this story and admire the talent and sheer genius of Jessica Park?

I don't do plot summaries, as should be more than evident by now. It's easy enough to read the summary and decide for yourself if this sounds like something that might i
Stacia (the 2010 club)
*Update 06/12* My thoughts have changed about the book and my rating has been lowered. I am unable to explain why though, due to reasons which are not allowed to be stated because they are in conflict of GR policy of what is/is not allowed in a review.

*Original Review for the book 10/11*

Flat-Out Love definitely falls more on the "girly" side, but I enjoyed it almost as much as I enjoyed Anna and the French Kiss.

The story follows a girl named Julie who is swindled out of her money when she gets
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
May 31, 2012 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Recommended to Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* by: Karla
Shelves: young-adult, ebook
(This is an Adult-who-enjoys-reliving-the-stirrings-of-first-love-and-self-discovery-during-the-teen-years-through-YA books review ^_^)

5 + Stars!

Also reviewed at: Lady Jayne's Reading Den

WOW. I FLAT-OUT LOVE this book by self-published author, Jessica Park!!!

This quote sums up how this book made me feel, how it inspired me through my journey with it, and even after I reluctantly closed its pages...

I’ve been struggling with my reading lately and I wanted a story that would really captivate me
The Holy Terror
Never, in a million years, will I read this book.
Aestas Book Blog
Wow! I absolutely FLAT-OUT LOVED this book!!!

"...that's what love does to you. Gut-wrenching, overpowering, crushing, fulfilling, complex, bring-you-to-your-knees love."

It was beautiful!! It kept me hooked right from the beginning. It was amazing, heart warming and a little heart wrenching, with light and funny moments, as well as deeply emotional ones. The dialogue was clever and witty and had me laughing out so many times. But this book was not a fluff read - it was deep, touching, and bit
Nina
Ugh. Could not bring myself to finish this book. Julie, the main character, started to annoy me from Chapter 2 onwards. But this got a lot of high ratings so I gave it a shot and soldiered on, but even after 100+ pages in, I still could not see why it's supposed to be good. Julie is the kind of person who will never be my friend if she existed in real life.

Almost each chapter began with a Facebook status of each of the three leads, but more often than not these didn't even have anything to do wi
Kristin (KC)
*5 Stars!*

Flat Out Love was such a beautiful, touching, and heartfelt story that left me sorting out my feelings for days before I could properly sum them up.

I won't go into details over plot, as there is an extreme twist that I would hate to reveal, but I will say that I loved every little bit of this unique story! The characters were lovable and life-like, and I fully enjoyed their witty back-and-forth banter and charming dialogue. There were some moments, however, where I felt there could hav
Gabriella *is awesome*
I don't want this to end. I don't want to land and reach the real world, because I like our world up here better.”

this book,is one of those many fabulous books that tend to stick with u for a life time..with both unique plot and such damaged characters.... the author (Jessica park) actually manages to keep you captivated and intrusive to the very end.

even with all their tortured past and bizarred habits,the characters still managed fun and quirky,if nothing...and seriously i loved them for tha
Taryn at My Secret Romance

This review was posted at My Secret Romance

I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed this story. When I first read the blurb, I thought, ok, this sounds kind of cute. I added it to my must-read-list. I didn't think twice of it until a friend messaged me on here and told me she had it to lend, via Kindle. After just reading Beautiful Disaster, I needed something wildly different. And boy oh boy was this different, but in such a wonderful way.

For me, this book was strangely entertaining to the point whe
Kira
Jul 02, 2012 Kira marked it as no-frakkin-way
Are you kidding me? Bitch, please.
Ariana
Wait for me while i catch my breath..
(minutes passing, hours passing, days passing...)

Ok, here we go, but I don't promise that my review will make much sense to you.
So I'll start by saying that I really need to read this book again!

My Thoughts:
This book took me completely by surprise.
It seemed like a really light read, but in fact it is the complete opposite. I guess that these days I'm really easy to trick, but I love surprises, and I love how this story turned out.

Think about it this way:
Imag
Leslie
WOW!! I cannot even begin to tell you how much I was captivated and enthralled by this story! The writing flowed realistically throughout with brilliant character development and the, OMG, knock-you-to-your-knees lovestory was undeniable!

When Julie realizes her "Craig's-List" apartment is really a burrito stand, she's desperate and as luck would have it, her mother's old college roommate, Erin Watkins, fortunately invites her to move in. It's close the her college and would be free! (What's not
Tammara
Flat-Out Love was awesome. I loved it. 18-year-old Julie moves to Boston to begin her adult life at a small college. When she arrives, she finds that the housing her mom secured and paid for through Craigslist was, in fact, a scam. Homeless, Julie is lucky that her mother has an old friend in Boston. The friend sends her MIT-attending son Matt to rescue Julie and her suitcases from a life on the streets.

The romance in Flat-Out Love is lovely. The family dysfunction is original and well-written,
Catie
Feb 09, 2014 Catie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Catie by: Flannery
Shelves: read-in-2011, romance, ya

I think that this is a great example of self-publishing gone right. There is a lot to love here: a pretty steamy epistolary romance, a lot of nice tension, some hilarious social media based humor, and unique and eccentric characters that I love. Unfortunately, there are just so many things that turned me off personally in this book. However, if you are looking for a main stream romance with more depth than average, then I think that you should give this a chance.

Julie is eighteen years
inga
I didn't enjoy this book at all, and skimmed large parts (again! I should really stop buying self-published books, because I seem to end up skimming them most of the time. Geez!) It seemed to me that the author tried too hard to be funny.

Finn? I guess he is supposed to come across as charming and appealing, but I didn't like his character at all. I guess I'm just not into blonde, sexy guys who travel the world.

I didn't think he was funny, and neither was Julie, who I disliked as well, and the
Cait
This review can also be found on my blog, Cait's Corner

Wow. Before I start this review, I'm going to do a little fan-girl gushing: this book was soooo amazing and wonderful and flat-out (haha I'm punny as a fan-girl) stupendous that if you don't have this book on your to-read list, put it on there now.........

Hahahahah I'm just kidding

But seriously.

Let me start off this review with the characters, because they are so incredibly real to me. I feel like I could walk out of my house and th
Leea
Updated June 20th 2012

I can no longer look past Jessica Parks bad behavior when it comes to negative reviews. This seems to be a theme among authors now days. It's wrong, readers have the right to review books in the manner they choose. I review books here on Goodreads for myself and to help my friends make educated book selections.

I feel like i'm being forced to downgrade my rating of Flat-Out Love because of this bad behavior and it's very frustrating. My hope is that Ms. Park can change her
Lisa
All I can say is that I am absolutely in FLAT OUT LOVE with this book!!!!! I connected with this book at a level that does not happen too often. I laughed, I got angry, I cried - essentially, I went through through a whole plethora of emotions. There were scenes in the book that had me laughing so hard like the New Year's Eve conversation between Julie and Matt and then there were scenes that ripped my heart out and offered it to me on a platter with a "take that"! I loved the characters in this ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**spoiler free review**

HOLY CRAP I LOVED THIS BOOK!

I did not expect for this book to so thoroughly blow my mind. Mind officially blown.

description

I feel like this review should be very witty because the book is so smartly written. It really took me by surprise. I've read so many insipid YA books that to read one that is written so carefully and so thoughtfully is like a shock to my system.

A quick plot summery: A girl (Julie) starts college in Boston but finds herself without a place to live, and ends up
Samantha Young
Flat-Out love is more than a love story between two people. Although there is romance, Jessica Park’s contemporary YA novel for me was more about the love of a family, and the lengths people will go to, to help the ones they love.

If you do work out the twist from the beginning of Flat-Out Love, I promise you it won’t detract from your enjoyment of the story. If you don’t work it out, then you’re in for a clever and heart-squeezing ride. The heroine Julie is a likeable college Freshman who descen
Ashley - Book Labyrinth
I loved this book! I loved it so much that I had to tweet about it after finishing it. I loved it so much that I’m already considering how long I should wait before re-reading it. Yes, I loved it that much. There was just a really special feel about this book. It totally gripped me in this really interesting way, and I hope that my descriptions can do it justice.

What I really loved about this book is that it is the perfect mix of family issues and love and romance. It is filled with impecible ch
Janina
After having this on hold for several months, I think I can now safely say I will never finish it. I simply cannot sympathise with a heroine who thinks so lowly of others because of their style of clothing, especially if they are so very nice to her. As a lot of my friends loved this book, though, I always wanted to get back to it and try again.
But franky speaking, I am not inclined to give an author who posts stuff like this on the internet a second chance.
Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish)
God awful, bratty BBA, who thinks "friendship" means attacking people for not liking your friend's horrendous abuse book.

This author and her little friend Jamie McGuire find it fun to gang up on people who had the audacity to not like their books. So they troll Amazon and tag team negative reviewers of their books. Some links.

Even Dear Author mentions her behavior.

But that doesn't stop her. No, to prove that Goodreads users are awful for saying that she attacks reviewers, she, well, no surprise
Nomes
Flat-out love has an effortless writing style which makes for a breezy, quick read. The writing is sharp and quietly quirky and the characters are really quite different to any I have come across in YA recently.

It's hard for me to think of comp books for Flat-out love as it really was rather unique (not only in plot, but also in writing style). The vibe of this book was more about family than romance (I had assumed it would be more about the first love/long-distance crush bit).

I figured out the
♥Rachel♥
Update 5/3/13: I'm giving away a copy of Flat-Out Love and Flat-Out Matt on the blog. Stop by for a chance to win!

I can’t say enough good things about this story! It was amazing! It has witty, intelligent humor, quirky, lovable characters, a very swoon worthy romance, and a mystery!

Julie Seagle has just moved to Boston as a freshman starting college but the apartment she rented in advance turns out to be a sham and Julie has nowhere to go. Julie’s mom calls in a favor from an old college friend,
Abbi Glines
Great story. I would have probably enjoyed it more if I hadn't figured out the "twist" by chapter three. If you haven't read it then stay away from reviews. I read several reviews and because of that I just KNEW what was going to happen once Flat Finn made his appearance.
  • How to Kill a Rock Star
  • That Boy (That Boy, #1)
  • The Sweet Gum Tree
  • Making Faces
  • Almost
  • The Sea of Tranquility
  • Puddle Jumping
  • Good For You (Between the Lines, #3)
  • Cross My Heart (Cross My Heart, #1)
  • Heart on a Chain
  • The Opportunist (Love Me with Lies, #1)
  • Vain (The Seven Deadly, #1)
  • Double Clutch (Brenna Blixen, #1)
  • Painted Faces (Painted Faces, #1)
  • The Final Piece
  • Point of Retreat (Slammed, #2)
  • Dead Sky Morning (Experiment in Terror, #3)
  • Back to You
Jessica Park is the author of the young adult novels FLAT-OUT LOVE and RELATIVELY FAMOUS; five Gourmet Girl mysteries (written as Jessica Conant-Park with her mother, mystery author Susan Conant); and the e-shorts FACEBOOKING RICK SPRINGFIELD and WHAT THE KID SAYS (Parts 1 & 2).

Jessica grew up in the Boston area and attended Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota. After spending four years
More about Jessica Park...
Left Drowning Flat-Out Matt (Flat-Out Love, #1.5) Flat-Out Celeste (Flat-Out Love, #2) Relatively Famous What the Kid Says (and Sometimes What I Say)

“If you can't stop thinking about someone's update, that's called "status cling.” 305 likes
“Then she did what any girl would do: she Googled him.” 260 likes